Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gatac
Apr 22, 2008

Fifty Cent's next biopic.
Anyone got a winning strategy for the Untouchable challenge? I got up to 5:30 on my best attempt, but I still think I'm doing it wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm trying to do the body scan mission on the north part of miagani island and I have no idea what the last thing I'm supposed to scan is. There is the birthmark on the guys chest and the prosthetic on his toes and...? I've been scanning this body for 10 minutes now.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Doc Morbid posted:

Just the other day, I watched Batman & Robin for the first time in years and thought it was hilarious. I used to hate it and be all "RARRGH! WORST THING EVER!! BATMAN IS SUPPOSED TO BE DARK AND SERIOUS! BAT-CREDIT CARD! :rant:" but this time I genuinely had fun watching it and seeing how ridiculous everything was.

I think my favorite part of the film is Bane's civilian disguise, which is literally a trenchcoat and fedora on top of his gear.

Batman and Robin is also mind-bendingly boring. I'd appreciate the camp more in a movie that was entertaining overall.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

NESguerilla posted:

I'm trying to do the body scan mission on the north part of miagani island and I have no idea what the last thing I'm supposed to scan is. There is the birthmark on the guys chest and the prosthetic on his toes and...? I've been scanning this body for 10 minutes now.

It's probably the one with a bullet in his shoulder. Very hard to see.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

QuantumNinja posted:

Speaking of "irregular strategies", I did a lot of the towers with swoop-and-bail maneuvers. I took the "Hold R2 to KO" upgrade and dive-bombed dudes, grappled away, and came back into the melee at another guy, repeat until only the big guys were left on top of the tower. While maybe slower, it was way more effective for not dying due to a bad counter or two.

Kind of related, but did anyone put much points into the whole throwing gadgets while swooping in section? Seems like it could be fun, if limited in applicability.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Brightman posted:

I think most of the good comics were mentioned already, I really enjoyed Death of the Family, can't get my friend to read it though because he hates Joker's "faceless" design. If you want to follow up on Jason Todd stuff there's A Death in the Family and Under the Red Hood, although the ending of that gets comic book crazy as gently caress, animated film did it better, I think the current story line went with that retcon too. Arkham Asylum: A Serious House on Serious Earth is good too, but the art is divisive as all get out in my experience, lot of influence on the first game obviously.

Anyway my friend has determined that the big super kick move after you do the super cape stun seems to screw with the thug skeletons and warp them more than most things. He posted this earlier on Facebook:

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Mazerunner posted:

Kind of related, but did anyone put much points into the whole throwing gadgets while swooping in section? Seems like it could be fun, if limited in applicability.

I bought em all but I couldn't pull it off reliably, I couldn't figure out how the game wanted me to transition from swooping to targeting to firing off gadgets. It was pretty handy when I pulled it off though, I could preemptively disable electric batons and freeze big guys.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

JT Smiley posted:

Having to finish the lap just to try again might have been the worst design decision in the entire game. I'm sure there are plenty of people who had no problem with those races, but I hated every minute of it.

Just hit start and go down to restart?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

theflyingorc posted:

It's probably the one with a bullet in his shoulder. Very hard to see.

Yup thanks. I grazed over it like 20 times.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

CJacobs posted:

That resets you to the first lap, but if you're on the third when you fail and reset by going back to the start it goes from the third lap again.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Oh, I thought he was talking about the individual challenge after the side quest part.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

CJacobs posted:

I wasn't sure if that would restart the lap or the entire race so I just powered through.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Funky Valentine posted:

There's going to be a Spoiler achievement in the Batgirl DLC, forever confirming that DC just hates the very idea of Cassie Cain.

I feel like an issue with Cass in the Arkham series (not that I'm excusing it since I love the Batfamily at 5 Robins and 3 Batgirls) is that her gimmick is that she's a super fighter. Like better than Bats by a wide margin. That could be difficult to implement. I'm interested in the idea of Stephanie showing up even if that doesn't quite make sense. My hope for the next Batman series is that they give us "Accomplished Father" Batman instead of "FORCED LONER" Batman. That second guy is hilariously outdated due to the aforementioned 5 Robins and 3 Batgirls.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
No, but you see, Batman can't let his allies get hurt. That's why he recruited them and got them to wear costumes. So they can sit in the Batcave (stand-in) and work on a side project that even the game acknowledges is pointless.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

SonicRulez posted:

I feel like an issue with Cass in the Arkham series (not that I'm excusing it since I love the Batfamily at 5 Robins and 3 Batgirls) is that her gimmick is that she's a super fighter. Like better than Bats by a wide margin. That could be difficult to implement. I'm interested in the idea of Stephanie showing up even if that doesn't quite make sense. My hope for the next Batman series is that they give us "Accomplished Father" Batman instead of "FORCED LONER" Batman. That second guy is hilariously outdated due to the aforementioned 5 Robins and 3 Batgirls.
They're still making stories about him solo because largely that's more compelling I think, and it works. Him with a team of six badass sidekicks would just be another team book. Granted in the long run it would be nice to see him have more of a supporting cast, character wise, but in practice it would not be very Batman to always have them there. And personally, I prefer it when he's teaming up with Catwoman anyway, that's a more interesting dynamic to me.

I think they should kind of retire the Robin concept at this point, just call in Dick if he needs one. Meanwhile they have a Robin in the Teen Titans books and Red Hood doing his thing, Batgirl with her own book doing her thing, etc.

In the games how they did it here is pretty much spot on, just teaming up a little here and there, but mostly solo. I would love a Catwoman game though.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Jul 7, 2015

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I'd actually love to see a batman universe game that gives time and control over to the supporting characters. It'll probably never happen, but AK is at least an improvement.

For the untouchable VR mission, its best to go slow and steady. Stay the hell out of the center - its much easier to just drive straight up and fire near point blank at tanks. I found that dodging with the button got me killed way too often; I generally stuck to just manuevering with the thumbstick.

Also, the riddler races are 20x easier if you use first person perspective. I generally hate that viewpoint for racing, but it makes the "dodge the crushers" section much more manageable.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Narcissus1916 posted:

I'd actually love to see a batman universe game that gives time and control over to the supporting characters. It'll probably never happen, but AK is at least an improvement.
That would be pretty great, maybe switching characters GTA5 style. Would be extra cool if Catwoman could do some heists and whatnot which would be different from the other vigilante characters.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Heavy Metal posted:

They're still making stories about him solo because largely that's more compelling I think, and it works. Him with a team of six badass sidekicks would just be another team book. Granted in the long run it would be nice to see him have more of a supporting cast, character wise, but in practice it would not be very Batman to always have them there. And personally, I prefer it when he's teaming up with Catwoman anyway, that's a more interesting dynamic to me.

I think they should kind of retire the Robin concept at this point, just call in Dick if he needs one. Meanwhile they have a Robin in the Teen Titans books and Red Hood doing his thing, Batgirl with her own book doing her thing, etc.

In the games how they did it here is pretty much spot on, just teaming up a little here and there, but mostly solo. I would love a Catwoman game though.

Right. So everything you just said is awful and I'd like you to stay away from Rocksteady and DC Comics in any creative capacity. Thank you for your time.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

SonicRulez posted:

Right. So everything you just said is awful and I'd like you to stay away from Rocksteady and DC Comics in any creative capacity. Thank you for your time.
Snyder for example generally writes a solo Batman book, and it's been the most well received run in a decade or so. You could discuss things if you have an opinion, it's okay if ours are different.

If you think the Catwoman part of the post is awful, well, that's just shocking. Who doesn't like Catwoman? Plus, Rocksteady isn't making Batman games anymore, my preferences there shouldn't effect my job application.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Jul 7, 2015

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Every comic should be completely self contained with zero continuity.

Nah, sometimes call backs are cool. But it should be handled like Marvel handles it, where if they decide they don't like something they just ignore it. If another writer later on does like it, they can bring it back. Play it real fast and loose, but still have it around.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

SonicRulez posted:

Actually he's right, and you've spent this entire thread being a turd.

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Every comic should be completely self contained with zero continuity.

:agreed:

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Arkham Knight at least makes sense if you're not well versed in Bat-lore.

As opposed to Arkham City which went "yeah theres an eco terrorist who is immortal and built a lovely version of rapture under gotham and his daughter is in love with Batman and Batman might be -" like that spergy guy at a comics store.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I really didn't get R'as appearance in City because they go through a lot of weird "THIS IS WHO THIS GUY IS" style exposition for him and Talia when none of the other villains really got that treatment, except maybe Hush where they depicting his first in-universe appearance.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Back to the comic chat, I'm amazed that no one's tried to adapt the events of The Killing Joke into a movie yet. I suppose both the Joker movies were pre-Batgirl and it would have made no sense, but I can totally see some hack fraud like Zack Snyder trying it in a few years time. I'd like to see it done well, anyway.

Also, I do like how Batman's flashbacks of The Killing Joke and Death in the Family in this game differ quite a bit from how they are in the comics. The way Joker shoots Todd mid-sentence is loving great.

Punk Blood
Jan 8, 2008

The luck is gone, the brain is shot, but the liquor we still got.

Calaveron posted:

I finally got all of the Militia poo poo done. There was this checkpoint that I think I did "wrong". There's two guys surrounded by six of the big, non-destructible turrets. I disrupted three of them to self-destruct and blinded a fourth one. I lured the enemies behind said turret and used it as very rudimentary cover against the still active turrets. Is that how it's supposed to be done?

If it's the one I'm thinking of there's a tightrope above the turrets with a hackable terminal on a wall nearby that lowers a gate you can drive the batmobile through. Any time it looks like you have to use the disruptor to destroy the turrets, there's a way to either get the batmobile inside, or a structure nearby you can drive on top of to get line of sight on them. Of course, not trying to say using the disruptor is an improper way of doing them.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Just did the Panessa Studios section. Jesus.

That said, I'm kinda miffed at how prevalent the texture pop can be (I'm on PS4). The framerate holds up incredibly well, but if you get some speed with the batmobile and move between the islands the texture loading can get all sorts of messed up. Got into a tank battle where most of chinatown took 10-20 seconds for the buildings to "pop" into view.

I expected a bit of texture pop here and there when diving from distances and stuff, but Founder's Island has been home to some super noticeable loading while gliding around.

Also, I didn't plan it this way but its hilarious that Batman locks Tim Drake in a cell and then immediately joins Nightwing for some crimefighting. What a dick.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
That's check Batman, and soon I shall be mating you. :smug:

TASTE THE PAIN!!
May 18, 2004

I've been staying outta here to avoid spoilers, not playing much on PC so I can wait for patches. Do we figure another one might be coming around the time of the DLC release on the 14th?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

TASTE THE PAIN!! posted:

I've been staying outta here to avoid spoilers, not playing much on PC so I can wait for patches. Do we figure another one might be coming around the time of the DLC release on the 14th?

They've talked (vaguely) about the PC version being out again in the next few weeks, so I'd figure they'd have fixed some issues by then.

Promontory
Apr 6, 2011
"This would be a good time to do some side missions, sir."

I take Alfred's advice and track down a serial killer, walk up to his hideout and hear Batman say "I'll need the Batmobile before stopping this man" :argh:

Otherwise I've been enjoying the game, although the repetition is starting to get to me even while doing things in mixed order. Do I really need to tackle Firefly four times before Batman remembers to cuff him? Doing Riddler missions without the required gadgets is pretty fun though. I probably needed some way to hack one of his robots to stand on a pressure plate: instead I zapped it apart with the REC and it reassembled itself on it.

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

Promontory posted:

"This would be a good time to do some side missions, sir."

I take Alfred's advice and track down a serial killer, walk up to his hideout and hear Batman say "I'll need the Batmobile before stopping this man" :argh:

Otherwise I've been enjoying the game, although the repetition is starting to get to me even while doing things in mixed order. Do I really need to tackle Firefly four times before Batman remembers to cuff him? Doing Riddler missions without the required gadgets is pretty fun though. I probably needed some way to hack one of his robots to stand on a pressure plate: instead I zapped it apart with the REC and it reassembled itself on it.

I accidentally glitched that riddlerbot OUT of the cage my shooting him with the vulcan cannon one too many times.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Riddler builds all of his puzzles to be possible with the gadgets Batman has (even telling him to go away until he has the right ones), yet doesn't understand how he manages to control the robots.

So either he built 30 or so impossible puzzles for the gently caress of it, or he thinks there are other solutions.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Steve2911 posted:

Riddler builds all of his puzzles to be possible with the gadgets Batman has (even telling him to go away until he has the right ones), yet doesn't understand how he manages to control the robots.

So either he built 30 or so impossible puzzles for the gently caress of it, or he thinks there are other solutions.

For some of those he is like "hey that wasn't done yet!" So maybe the robot was still building it? Who knows.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

man I don't know how I found the first 3 instances of Azrael or the serial killer bodies but now it just seems impossible. Gonna have to FAQ that poo poo for the final instances because it's just really difficult to spot flames along the vast lights of the city, or hear any scant opera around.

the director of the game retweeted something about the petition to include more challenge maps so that's something. might just be DLC in the end who knows.

Medium Cool
Dec 27, 2006

Yr sister is a beauty when she's naked
Grimey Drawer

MinibarMatchman posted:

man I don't know how I found the first 3 instances of Azrael or the serial killer bodies but now it just seems impossible. Gonna have to FAQ that poo poo for the final instances because it's just really difficult to spot flames along the vast lights of the city, or hear any scant opera around.

the director of the game retweeted something about the petition to include more challenge maps so that's something. might just be DLC in the end who knows.

azrael's last location is on top of the lady of gotham, easiest one to find.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Medium Cool posted:

You can even see it from below! (on PC at least)

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Medium Cool posted:

thanks, that fucker sometimes just made waypoints randomly appear even if I didn't see him. I figured it would happen eventually but I'm at the point where I've done the hunting thing long enough, just want to bring an end to it

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Steve2911 posted:

Also, I do like how Batman's flashbacks of The Killing Joke
Joker has the wrong goddamn hat and I'll never forgive them for it

Reo
Apr 11, 2003

That'll do, Carlos.
That'll do.

Well, my game just became unplayable :mad: I was playing Story+ and blew up the helicopter drone on Founders' Island with the disruptor like two days ago. Today, I got to the mission where you're supposed to hack the helicopter drone and can't progress further because it's already destroyed.

Batman's stuck in an invisible box on a rooftop with no access to any gadgets watching the city fall, I think Scarecrow won.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Reo posted:

Well, my game just became unplayable :mad: I was playing Story+ and blew up the helicopter drone on Founders' Island with the disruptor like two days ago. Today, I got to the mission where you're supposed to hack the helicopter drone and can't progress further because it's already destroyed.

Batman's stuck in an invisible box on a rooftop with no access to any gadgets watching the city fall, I think Scarecrow won.

That's a pretty inexcusable oversight, actually. Somebody's job should have been to go over the story in NG+ and make sure you can't sequence break with extra gadgets.

• Locked thread