Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
Considering I'm not (and most people) aren't at 60, I don't really gain anything by not doing it. What's not clicking here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

Do any vendors sell level 55 Crafters Rings/Neck/etc?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Dang, got the hankering to play again, updated and all but then found out there's general world maintenance.
Quick questions, here:
Used to play in Excalibur as Cal Averon. Aer the FCs purged regularly for inactive users? I kinda forgot which goon FC company I use but I liked the people there.
Is Heavensward an expansion I have to buy separately? From where can I buy it?

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe

Fat_Cow posted:

Do any vendors sell level 55 Crafters Rings/Neck/etc?

nope, gotta get right side stuff as dungeon drops or by turning in amber dropped from leves in foundation to the guy near the leve stand

HitmanAndQuitIt
Sep 13, 2002

dont take extercy

Furnaceface posted:

How/where do you do dungeons? I ask because I wanted to play Rogue, which meant playing another class to 15 first, and now I have no clue where to go to get experience and grinding FATEs has been... well, not fun. :(

Im assuming Im just not high enough level for the first dungeon since everything else gave me tooltip popups?

Ahh yeah, just doing fates/hunting log should get you to 15 pretty quickly, it's all downhill from there too ;-)

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Calaveron posted:

Used to play in Excalibur as Cal Averon. Aer the FCs purged regularly for inactive users? I kinda forgot which goon FC company I use but I liked the people there.

ffgoons.com has the details, but yes. Just go through the procedure to join as if you were a new player as outlined at ffgoons forum to get back in (or join a different one this time). Can't speak for the others, but DGKK is pretty chill.

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.

Calaveron posted:

Is Heavensward an expansion I have to buy separately? From where can I buy it?

Yes, Heavensward is an expansion adding three new jobs, a new race, multiple zones and dungeons.

Depends, if you bought FFXIV on Steam you'll need to buy it from Steam, otherwise the Square-Enix store for your region. Or from PSN.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

POLICE CAR AUCTION posted:

Really hoping they add goblin dailies. I've loved those little shits since way back in xi.
... Is this a joke?

Calihan
Jan 6, 2008
https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/3cc34d/naoki_yoshidas_take_on_machinist_during_japan_expo/?sort=new&limit=500

You know, I wouldn't even mind being stuck being a utility class if I actually had some viable utility to use in more than 5% or so fights. The statement is even more insane when you consider supposedly pure DPS classes like DRG offer better all around utility than MCH does.

Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

I'm the type of pony everypony should know
I didn't realize Guildhests were needed to advance the story quest at 50. I have to do almost all of them now, since I never did any except the first four. This is going to take awhile.

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

Tenzarin posted:

So it takes you 20 mins to run it just going with the dungeon, 25 mins if you hunt all the packs. It seems it would be better just to start another dungeon instead of hunting packs because the dungeons will always have mobs to kill. Don't know how you would be annoyed with that.

You realize that not everyone just gets to jump right into another dungeon, right? I don't know if the drk gravy train is still going but a dps queueing for a low level dungeon could be looking at a half hour wait. Aside from the wait time skewing the value they place on exp per dungeon run, its more likely they won't have time for another run since they have to have an hour free to do a twenty minute dungeon.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Calihan posted:

DRG offer better all around utility

Revenge for the first days of final coil

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

Calihan posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/3cc34d/naoki_yoshidas_take_on_machinist_during_japan_expo/?sort=new&limit=500

You know, I wouldn't even mind being stuck being a utility class if I actually had some viable utility to use in more than 5% or so fights. The statement is even more insane when you consider supposedly pure DPS classes like DRG offer better all around utility than MCH does.

MCH has:
-Virus/Supervirus (though not at the same time)
-MP/TP regen
-Physical/Magical Damage Up (Bard can only do magical damage up, and with WAR buffs physical damage is going to outshadow magic in most raid groups)
-Stun/Bind/Heavy (Situationally Useful)

I'd say MCH > Bard both in utility and damage right now.

Calihan
Jan 6, 2008

bonewitch posted:

MCH has:
-MP/TP regen
-Physical/Magical Damage Up (Bard can only do magical damage up, and with WAR buffs physical damage is going to outshadow magic in most raid groups)

All of which is extremely niche, cannot be used at the same time or done better by another class.

I mean have you ever had an encounter where you were actually glad to have a MCH in your party? If their utility outweighed their piss-weak damage, people would be tripping over each other to invite them to end-game encounters. Considering the polar opposite is happening, it is clear that isn't the case at all.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

bonewitch posted:

MCH has:
-MP/TP regen

For Virus/super virus you bring a summoner as no mechanic can require all the current methods of damage down
For MP regen you can sorta do the same thing, if your main healers don't need to res (this is kinda spurious)

The damage up is overshadowed by trick attack or battle litany (Which equates to what a 8-9% damage increase (15%/2*1.15 (each % of crit = 1% crit damage too))

Ranged stun is really the only unique trick they have.

((On foes vs 5% physical i'd say it entirely comes down to if your running 3 or 2 physical (brd + melee or brd + 2 melee))

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

Calihan posted:

All of which is extremely niche, cannot be used at the same time or done better by another class.

I mean have you ever had an encounter where you were actually glad to have a MCH in your party? If their utility outweighed their piss-weak damage, people would be tripping over each other to invite them to end-game encounters. Considering the polar opposite is happening, it is clear that isn't the case at all.

In what world is Raid Damage Up "Extremely Niche", let alone MP/TP regen considering pretty much every endgame fight in the history of the game has required a bard for one of those two reasons. The Damage Down also stacks with Virus making it incredibly useful for progression.

Also, what endgame encounters are you talking about? All we have so far are two piss-easy primals that can be down with pretty much any half-way sensible raid comp.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
Is the FC on Excalibur have any active members during the night? Specifically around 7pm-7am EST.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I just purchased the expansion from the SE store and got Confirmation emails and whatnot, but it's asking me to put in an Entry Code in mog station, and I haven't received such entry code, unless it's also the Activation Key? I'm wary of using that since the download and activation page says that I shouldn't get that until I have my product downloaded and installed which I can't, because I don't have any code to put into Mog Station to get the, I guess, download.

petcarcharodon
Jun 25, 2013
Every Alexander group I know that knows what they're doing still wants a bard or machinist, so I'm pretty sure the sky isn't falling like people seem to think it is.

Calihan
Jan 6, 2008

Stormgale posted:

For Virus/super virus you bring a summoner as no mechanic can require all the current methods of damage down
For MP regen you can sorta do the same thing, if your main healers don't need to res (this is kinda spurious)

The damage up is overshadowed by trick attack or battle litany (Which equates to what a 8-9% damage increase (15%/2*1.15 (each % of crit = 1% crit damage too))

((On foes vs 5% physical i'd say it entirely comes down to if your running 3 or 2 physical (brd + melee or brd + 2 melee))

My point exactly. Most of the utility MCH can do, someone else can do either better or do so and deal actual damage at the same time. The few tricks that are unique to them are niche as all hell and/or does not outweigh their lack of damage otherwise, as I said before, people would be begging them to join their parties instead of booting them out.

vanbags
Dec 6, 2003

An ape.
The problem with commendations, aside from being completely irrelevant, is they're not really obvious. Several guildies of mine didn't even know they existed until way later in the game, and even then a lot of people just rush out of the dungeon without bothering to hand them out.

DPS are probably less likely to bother handing them out because they're accustomed to the fact no one is going to give them one since they're not a tank/healer, which seems to be the default choice.

They're dumb and not worth bitching about it, but some people get upset about their vanity rewards.

The only solution would be to make it mandatory before exiting a dungeon, but that would cause more bitching than the people bitching about not receiving any.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

petcarcharodon posted:

Every Alexander group I know that knows what they're doing still wants a bard or machinist, so I'm pretty sure the sky isn't falling like people seem to think it is.

But being brought for mana song feels pretty lovely to be honest (as that is really the only truly unique thing they bring).

Calihan posted:

My point exactly. Most of the utility MCH can do, someone else can do either better or do so and deal actual damage at the same time. The few tricks that are unique to them are niche as all hell and/or does not outweigh their lack of damage otherwise, as I said before, people would be begging them to join their parties instead of booting them out.

Just to damper this in progression mana song will be mandatory barring some weird edge case with a tonne of dodging/regen time like T13 (assuming they dont have to burn mana on ressing). It just feels really lovely to be the water dispenser for the group.

Edit: for bonewitch: really they bring a physical debuff and the -5% down comparatively to the 10% magic song (also hitting your decent DPS scholar) so I'd say its a wash between them but they both feel pretty bad. (saying this I can still successfully participate in sell runs so I guess I shouldn't be complaining)

Stormgale fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Jul 7, 2015

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS
I'm obviously not trying to say "Bring 6 MCH and a healer/tank" for your raid group, I'm saying that based on the last 2 years of raid content a bard or MCH is going to be required for TP/MP regen, and that MCH brings better damage and utility than bard right now.

We haven't really seen what they're capable yet because we haven't seen any true progression content done with MCH. The only endgame content are two EX primals that were downed within ~6 hours of people hitting 60 on their old jobs.

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Etrips posted:

Is the FC on Excalibur have any active members during the night? Specifically around 7pm-7am EST.

no, of the 1000+ goons that are spead across 3 FC's because they hit the member limit on two of them, it is incredibly quiet and inactive during that time period

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Velthice posted:

no, of the 1000+ goons that are spead across 3 FC's because they hit the member limit on two of them, it is incredibly quiet and inactive during that time period

Well I haven't played this game since launch and had no idea it was still so active. So, thanks.

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Make sure you're a good experience.
Pretty excited to be running DRG (me)/BRD/SMN/BLM for Alex, lots of cross-DPS synergy going on. Foe's is really nice with two casters, and hopefully that Bard balance fix will come with Alex Savage, rather than 3.1.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

pksage posted:

Pretty excited to be running DRG (me)/BRD/SMN/BLM for Alex, lots of cross-DPS synergy going on. Foe's is really nice with two casters, and hopefully that Bard balance fix will come with Alex Savage, rather than 3.1.

This is basically our setup and I see nothing but good things coming from it.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Yes

Yes.

HitmanAndQuitIt
Sep 13, 2002

dont take extercy

Etrips posted:

Well I haven't played this game since launch and had no idea it was still so active. So, thanks.

There's a few of us Australian/Japanese players so there's always people on pretty much

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

tbh people have started getting MCH numbers up as people figure out the rotations and skills with a bit more nuance and get used to handling the class. It's got problems that definiately need addressing, but they're being WAY overstated honestly.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
Can't they run simulations on the dps jobs like simulationcraft does for wow? Or is that an add on thing that makes that work? When judging if a class is good or not, a baseline of a computer doing it is always good.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuIwAit_yCw

Top Hate and Suit
Feb 13, 2012

Stormgale posted:

I haven't tested things with bards yet, but I know the vulnerability up from the turrets stacks with Trick Attack, which is pretty nice for DPS checks.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Top Hate and Suit posted:

I haven't tested things with bards yet, but I know the vulnerability up from the turrets stacks with Trick Attack, which is pretty nice for DPS checks.

Yeah but the point is assuming your bringing a support, what do you lose swapping out your brd/MCH for a ninja (for example)

This however interests me

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

That summoner.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

That is a loving shameful summoner.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Mist is a cool place to watch the servers shut down as other people in third party tools feed chocobos and craft in the final seconds of the final day.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Does MNK settle down into a fairly clear rotation at 60, the way DRG sort of does (HT, CT combo, phleb, FT combo, repeat forever with oGCDs woven), or is it a bit hand-wavy with which ability you're using for a given stance?

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!

kirbysuperstar posted:

That is a loving shameful summoner.

add his pet into his parse retard, he's doing 793

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
There's an option to add pets to the owners.

• Locked thread