Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

RabbitWizard posted:

An owner can't just quit the contract with a "meh" as justification, he has to have a legal reason, like personal requirements (his grandma gets sick and needs to live there so he can take care of her) or neighbors complaining about meth-explosions.
I'm learning aaaall about that right now. :argh:

But what's more, the landlord has to give three months notice when he wants to cancel the contract. So does the tenant, although if he moves out and someone else moves in during that time, he's out of the contract no problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

Splizwarf posted:

We have... ways. :madmax:

Seriously, though, there's tools for that.

The German stereotype isn't always true, I've never met a landlord that gives a poo poo if the wires are good in your apartment. If its built after 1980 or something ridiculous he doesn't even have to get it up to current standards (which prevent you from dying in some cases).

My Lovely Horse posted:

I'm learning aaaall about that right now. :argh:

But what's more, the landlord has to give three months notice when he wants to cancel the contract. So does the tenant, although if he moves out and someone else moves in during that time, he's out of the contract no problem.
Only if the owner wants the new tenant. And it's kinda hard to search yourself for one if the owner is used to using an agent. They check all kind of poo poo (depending on the location and worth of the property) and can deny people "willy-nilly".

Otherwise, wanna talk about the meth-cooking, poo poo-smearing renter you have?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Unfortunately (?) I'm learning about it from the other side, the landlord wants the meth den for himself and his eight children. But apparently doesn't know much about tenant's law so the next few months are gonna be really interesting!

And yeah, you don't automatically get out if you can introduce a potential tenant (a common misconception), but I moved out of two apartments in the last few years and each time they had a new tenant ready to go. Apartments go fast in reasonably big cities. One even moved in the same day I moved out. And they were really lovely apartments with no noise protection (I do mean none, in the sense of "the builders totally hosed up").

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

My Lovely Horse posted:

(I do mean none, in the sense of "the builders totally hosed up").

Plans don't mention insulation, we're not going to add insulation. gently caress 'em.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Plans don't mention insulation, we're not going to add insulation. gently caress 'em.

Ding ding ding. Sound insulation, sound caulking for the walls and putty pads for the outlets aren't cheap. Full height walls are required between units, but wouldn't be needed within a unit and that transmits sound big time. Fancy duct design to reduce sound transmission costs in both money and coordination above ceiling.

The only real thing that could be a gently caress up would be electrical boxes back to back or something that's a code violation.

Silent Linguist
Jun 10, 2009

Hey construction thread, I have a question for you. We're moving into a new apartment that has a few ceiling fans. Two of them aren't stable, so when you turn them on, the whole unit swings back and forth. Is this dangerous/something we should bring up with the landlords? (Never lived somewhere with fans before.)

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Silent Linguist posted:

Hey construction thread, I have a question for you. We're moving into a new apartment that has a few ceiling fans. Two of them aren't stable, so when you turn them on, the whole unit swings back and forth. Is this dangerous/something we should bring up with the landlords? (Never lived somewhere with fans before.)

Cheap fans will have unbalanced blades causing wobble, a little bit is nothing to be concerned about. Two places to check-- make sure the hanger is firmly screwed to the ceiling box or joist (may have to remove a decorative housing to see the mounting screws), then check the downrod-motor connection. It either screws into the main motor and has a set screw installed to hold it, or a rod that goes through the whole downrod with a cotter pin to keep it from sliding out. If the set screw is tight or the cotter pin is in place, you're probably fine. If you want to try to reduce wobble, you can remove the blades and use a kitchen scale to weigh them and reinstall trying to keep like-weighted blades opposite. You can also buy fan balancing kits with little stick-on weights to even them out.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Silent Linguist posted:

If they're poorly supported AND wobbly, yeah, they can be dangerous. A decent landlord should fix it.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

A minor issue but still stupidity on display:

wheels don't follow that path in a turn

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Shifty Pony posted:

A minor issue but still stupidity on display:

wheels don't follow that path in a turn

Maybe he drives one of these deals?

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

It's a Saalfa Romeaab!

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

The more I look at it the more it looks like the garage will be unusable except for maybe backing into it. There isn't enough room to maneuver into or out of it without risking hitting the garage with the front of your car or needing to cross the property line.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I have to do a 90 degree corner in about 4m / 13' to get in and out of my garage. I can usually pull in in one motion, but backing out requires a 3 or more point turn.

stuxracer
May 4, 2006

Yeah that garage would be a bitch to actually use daily with a car larger than a hatchback. Then again no grass to drive over so if that gravel is super compressed you'll only have small tire ruts in it.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006
Who knows? Maybe they store two bicycles in that garage, in which case the driveway's perfect!

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Hmm.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

It's legitimately amazing to me that more military servicemembers aren't killed by jury-rigged electrocution or electrical fires, especially Americans. Spend $20 in advance of deployment on a couple complete sets of every adapter you might possibly need? Naaaaaaah, we'll just figure that loving poo poo out in-country.

now entering North Dakota
Feb 22, 2013

Fun Shoe

Showed this picture to my dad, who was a nuclear technician on the subs. His response was, "Yeah. That looks like typical Navy engineering."

I don't know if he means it's good or bad

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

LonsomeSon posted:

It's legitimately amazing to me that more military servicemembers aren't killed by jury-rigged electrocution or electrical fires, especially Americans. Spend $20 in advance of deployment on a couple complete sets of every adapter you might possibly need? Naaaaaaah, we'll just figure that loving poo poo out in-country.

Didn't a ton of military dudes get killed or injured from badly wired showers in Iraq? Also apparently military showers need.. wiring?

Goredema
Oct 16, 2013

RUIN EVERYTHING

Fun Shoe

Dunatis Ishmael posted:

Showed this picture to my dad, who was a nuclear technician on the subs. His response was, "Yeah. That looks like typical Navy engineering."

I don't know if he means it's good or bad

"Technically functional, but stunningly half-assed and quite possibly life threatening."

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Baronjutter posted:

Didn't a ton of military dudes get killed or injured from badly wired showers in Iraq? Also apparently military showers need.. wiring?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwQBpZPCOqg

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

What he said. A lot of the third world has on demand hot water for shower heads.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

This man has the world's most nasally voice.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Baronjutter posted:

At least a quarter of deployed soldiers during ~The Surge~ lived in literal plywood shantytowns built inside larger structures, powered by daisy-chained power strips, which I am convinced were impossible to diagram due to their non-Euclidean nature. The strips, of course, were powered by containerized portable diesel-electric generators, and someone rearranging power strips three floors up might completely reverse your platoon's available power supplies in terms of which ones were 110v and which were 240v.

Every time we built a new structure, or added on to an existing one, the wiring detail's mantra would be along the line of "good thing we don't have to build this to code! :downs:"

Everywhere I lived we had 0 access to running water and unless you're talking one of the bigger Camps I in retrospect have absolutely no idea what firefighting measures were in place. I mean, I don't even know what we could have done; all of that plywood and particle board was as dry as you could imagine untreated, unmaintained, naked wood could be and if for instance my platoon's poo poo had gone up in flames it would have blocked every possible safe method of egress for everyone else on the upper stories of the half-built cement skeleton of an office building we were living in. Talking probably close to 200 guys, not counting the ~thirty-five who were on the bottom floor with me. US Army, best-equipped most capable fighting force ever to exist :wtc:

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

quote:

This shower head is rated at a maximum wattage of 5,500 watts. 5,500 watts is enough energy to warm 3.816 gallons of water by 10 degrees Fahrenheit. The shower head is rated at 2 gallons per minute, which means that at full flow it can only warm the water by a maxiumum of 19F or 10.6C....The water in my tap comes out at around 4-6C (39-43F). To heat that to a comfortable 38C or 100F is a differential of roughly 33C or 59F. With 5500 watts of input from the Lorenzetti showerhead the water flow would have to throttle back to about 0.64 gallons per minute, which is about a cup of water every ten seconds...The temperature out of the shower head depends on the speed of water flow, the temperature of the incoming water, and the available current. So there is no way to consistently get the same temperature each time you shower, unless your water pressure and voltage are constant, and you can memorize exactly how much to open the shower spigot.

Crappy even without the risk of electrocution.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Qwijib0 posted:

Nonsense, you just need more power.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/jul/13/russian-soldiers-killed-after-barracks-collapse-in-siberia

quote:

“As a result of the collapse, more than 40 servicemen were injured,” said Vladimir Markin, of the investigative committee. “Twenty-three conscripts died, the others were hospitalised with various injuries.” A defence ministry spokesman, Igor Konashenkov, said 19 servicemen had been hospitalised.

quote:

Building collapses and other infrastructure accidents are fairly frequent in Russia, especially outside Moscow and St Petersburg, where the enforcement of safety regulations is lax and corruption rampant. On Saturday a section of a residential building collapsed in the Urals city of Perm, killing two.

According to Polish media, the building renovation in 2013 was done by drug addicts and alcoholics working for food.

quote:

Earlier, the company RemEksStroj, who led the renovation work in 2013, got at least ten lawsuits for shortcomings and mistakes made by other renovations made in interior troops unit in Nizhny Novgorod. The charges include, among others no manholes and gutters along the building, which led to scouring the foundation. According to preliminary findings, this just might be the reason for the collapse of the building in Omsk.

quote:

The workers did not have any plans, diagrams or schematics of action, liquidated all the walls, not looking, whether it's load-bearing walls or not - said Nastyczenko. Instead, they intercede wall plates type plasterboard.

Builders in the barracks lasted from April to December 2013. Although the company has not had time performing work of completing the work within the prescribed period, three buildings were received by the Technical Commission. To barracks immediately they moved into the military. Renovation of the barracks was carried out under the state contract for work in a number of landmarks in the unit in Omsk, worth 3.2 billion rubles (approx. 3 million zł).

Representatives of the Ministry of Defence say that works in the barracks were not associated with the removal of load-bearing walls - had to rely on the replacement of windows and renovation of the floor.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Qwijib0 posted:

I had to do the math to check, but yeah, he's right.

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=%285500w*1minute%29%2F%28specific+heat+of+water*%28density+of+water*2gal%29%29

Also, "centimeter cubed minute kelvin watts per gallon joule" is now my favorite unit to measure temperature in. 18,000 is ~54 degrees Fahrenheit. :haw:

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

43 degree at the tap is really cold so that shower head would be serviceable in an area with warmer water. My tap water is normally around 80-83 n the summer so that shower head would give a warm-hot (but not hot-hot) shower.

I don't see the advantage though except in situations where absolutely every drop of water matters, including the water you'd use waiting for hot water at the tap.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

To be fair when I lived in the third world the water flow was total poo poo, so getting a cup of water every ten seconds doesn't seem bad. There were days when the pressure was so bad it could not actually get up the shower, so you'd trickle it out the bath faucet and dump it on yourself with a cup or something anyway. At least it would be warm!

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

you all should read about the shower trailers installed in Iraq for Operation Iraqi Freedom, and how many soldiers were electrocuted

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

A mention of that was what sparked (:haw:) the water-heating discussion in the first place.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

LonsomeSon posted:

At least a quarter of deployed soldiers during ~The Surge~ lived in literal plywood shantytowns built inside larger structures, powered by daisy-chained power strips, which I am convinced were impossible to diagram due to their non-Euclidean nature. The strips, of course, were powered by containerized portable diesel-electric generators, and someone rearranging power strips three floors up might completely reverse your platoon's available power supplies in terms of which ones were 110v and which were 240v.

Every time we built a new structure, or added on to an existing one, the wiring detail's mantra would be along the line of "good thing we don't have to build this to code! :downs:"

Everywhere I lived we had 0 access to running water and unless you're talking one of the bigger Camps I in retrospect have absolutely no idea what firefighting measures were in place. I mean, I don't even know what we could have done; all of that plywood and particle board was as dry as you could imagine untreated, unmaintained, naked wood could be and if for instance my platoon's poo poo had gone up in flames it would have blocked every possible safe method of egress for everyone else on the upper stories of the half-built cement skeleton of an office building we were living in. Talking probably close to 200 guys, not counting the ~thirty-five who were on the bottom floor with me. US Army, best-equipped most capable fighting force ever to exist :wtc:

I was on Camp Dwyer LITERALLY NEXT TO THE FIRE DEPARTMENT (who had a truck and everything) and it took them 45 minutes to respond to a smoke alarm.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

Shifty Pony posted:

I don't see the advantage though except in situations where absolutely every drop of water matters, including the water you'd use waiting for hot water at the tap.

It's cheaper, of course. You can get an on demand shower heater plus an on demand kitchen faucet heater for maybe $100-$150. $300+ for a central tank heater, plus now you need twice as much pipe and twice as much labor to install it. It's not a big expense for people in a first world country, but somewhere with a $3,000 median annual income, a strong shower becomes a dispensable luxury.

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004

Zhentar posted:

... with a $3,000 median annual income, a strong shower becomes a dispensable luxury.

You don't miss what you never had. Best shower i ever had the hot water tank being 2 full stories directly above me. So ridiculously good.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related

LonsomeSon posted:

I was at a smallish Fob in Afghanistan with a largish Navy presence and somehow we ended up with a Firetruck, it was non functioning though. We did have a B hut fire, it was of course electrical in origin from a failed ballast, and we ended up finding it through the smoke with a Pas-13. Our hose was trash pump powered. No loss of the structure though.

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010
So I'm not sure if this belongs here or in the OSHA thread but here goes.

I work as an electrician in New Zealand where a few years back we had a bit of an earthquake, meaning that most of Christchurch needed some forms of repair work done. So basically a whole city of crappie construction is being found.
in this particular case I was trying to isolate a house back to the main switchboard so the internal walls could be opened for structural repairs. So far no problem. I turn off the main switch and am about to start when one of the builders mentions there is still a light on in the roof, a quick check makes it pretty obvious that the local stoners had been using the roof space for a grow room and somehow bypassed the switchboard. I grab a likely looking bit of cable and start following it.
just around the corner it ends where it is stripped back and clamped in a set of car jumper leads, the other end of the leads going to the most amazing wiring I had seen.

The incoming mains were from an overhead pole and ran through the roof for about 2 meters before dropping down to the meter. What our enterprising handyman had done was carefully strip the outer layer of insulation of the cable back, pull the neutral screen out to one side and clamp it, then HAMMER A NAIL through the phase so the other clamp would have something to grip.
cue me slowly backing away and seeing about getting power shut off at the boundary

stuxracer
May 4, 2006

I wish you had pictures. It sounds amazing

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

carrionman posted:

So I'm not sure if this belongs here or in the OSHA thread but here goes.

I work as an electrician in New Zealand where a few years back we had a bit of an earthquake, meaning that most of Christchurch needed some forms of repair work done. So basically a whole city of crappie construction is being found.
in this particular case I was trying to isolate a house back to the main switchboard so the internal walls could be opened for structural repairs. So far no problem. I turn off the main switch and am about to start when one of the builders mentions there is still a light on in the roof, a quick check makes it pretty obvious that the local stoners had been using the roof space for a grow room and somehow bypassed the switchboard. I grab a likely looking bit of cable and start following it.
just around the corner it ends where it is stripped back and clamped in a set of car jumper leads, the other end of the leads going to the most amazing wiring I had seen.

The incoming mains were from an overhead pole and ran through the roof for about 2 meters before dropping down to the meter. What our enterprising handyman had done was carefully strip the outer layer of insulation of the cable back, pull the neutral screen out to one side and clamp it, then HAMMER A NAIL through the phase so the other clamp would have something to grip.
cue me slowly backing away and seeing about getting power shut off at the boundary

For those not from NZ, keep in mind that the phrase 'number 8 wire,' meaning a quick and dirty fix, usually involving said gauge of fencing wire, is a celebrated part of our culture.

My brother is an electrician in a city that has not been hit by an earthquake, and the stories he can tell make carrion man very believable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Hope whatever he hooked to to that was switchmode.. cos if im not mistaken thats an AU/NZ socket and we run 220/240v....