Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I remember when CNet bought com.com. And used it extensively, like as their main landing page. Smartasses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Data Graham posted:

I remember when CNet bought com.com. And used it extensively, like as their main landing page. Smartasses.

com.com now redirects to com.i.com.com, which sadly really isn't anything.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

pik_d posted:

com.com now redirects to com.i.com.com, which sadly really isn't anything.

Man, all i can see if corn.corn.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Johnny Aztec posted:

Man, all i can see if corn.corn.

Get your head out of your rear end.

:D

Shuffle
Feb 3, 2011

DEA Sloth!
No Fast Movements!
I remember yahoo doing some publicity stunt searching the US for people named "Dot Com" turned out to be some old lady without internet ( big surprise I know! )

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

dud root posted:

Early lovely v1.0 browsers like Netscape and IE wouldn't parse anything without the "http://". What if you put "google.com" and its actually ftp??
That's why people got into the habit of giving the full URL, but the thing Centripetal Horse was talking about was people saying "backslash" instead of "slash". And syou still occasionally hear people do it. And if it started as a holdover from people used to DOS, that would make even less sense because in that case it should be pretty clear that it isn't a backslash.

glomkettle posted:

It's because you start drawing the slash at the top and it's a back- or forward-slash depending on if the stroke moves back or forwards. It's not that complicated guys.
That is the opposite of how it works. The real way to remember is that the slash is the same character you've seen all your life in numerous contexts and it's always just been called a slash, whereas the backslash is the backwards one you only ever see on computer keyboards and never use for anything (unless for some reason you're typing file paths in Windows, but if you are then you're almost certainly not using the word incorrectly).

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

Tiggum posted:

That's why people got into the habit of giving the full URL, but the thing Centripetal Horse was talking about was people saying "backslash" instead of "slash". And syou still occasionally hear people do it. And if it started as a holdover from people used to DOS, that would make even less sense because in that case it should be pretty clear that it isn't a backslash.

This is correct, except I think the DOS thing makes a bit of sense. Tech support (or his nephew) told him to type some commands that included backslashes, and the backslash became irrevocably intertwined with computers in his brain.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Thorbeef
Jul 24, 2007

This is brilliant. There should always be Tucker gifs

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl

Batman never kills

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Nuclear War posted:

Batman never kills

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

'Startocaster' is more fun to say than I expected.

Didn't he also throw a guy down a bell tower in the first one. I don't think that Batman had a problem with killing henchmen. Plus he also killed the Joker (possibly by accident?).

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

McPhearson posted:

My company has OWA on webmail.domain.com, and you wont believe how many people put www in front, and then complain when https://www.webmail.domain.com wont load.

cname alias?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

RyokoTK posted:

Wow she really let herself go.

BOOOOOOOOOOO!

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

DreamWorks Elsa vs Microencephaly Elsa

glomkettle
Sep 24, 2013

Tiggum posted:

That is the opposite of how it works. The real way to remember is that the slash is the same character you've seen all your life in numerous contexts and it's always just been called a slash, whereas the backslash is the backwards one you only ever see on computer keyboards and never use for anything (unless for some reason you're typing file paths in Windows, but if you are then you're almost certainly not using the word incorrectly).

I didn't respond to the first guy who pointed that out because I was hoping no one else would notice me being an idiot. But yeah oops.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

But neither dicks nor butts have bones?

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Is it wrong that I see Sweet Dee?

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

New Leaf posted:

Is it wrong that I see Sweet Dee?

Yes, that looks nothing like a bird.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

YOLO Finance is a financial institution you can trust with your long term investments!

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

Nuclear War posted:

Batman never kills

Depends on what system he's on

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Erebus posted:

Depends on what system he's on

Hey, Batman didn't kill him. Gravity might kill him in a few seconds, but you can hardly blame Batman for the elemental forces of the universe.

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.

Tiggum posted:

You might also use it to specify the domain you are logging in to. Though, to be fair this is still going to mostly be nerds who know the difference. When I first started in IT I had the two confused and would say backslash in URLs. I wanna say I heard it on TV at some point and it stuck in my head.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

:doh: I'm not sure why I never though to do that, but thank you internet stranger for solving a problem for me!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Angela Christine posted:

Hey, Batman didn't kill him. Gravity might kill him in a few seconds, but you can hardly blame Batman for the elemental forces of the universe.

I'm playing the new batman game and I'm pretty sure it's a mix of that and delusion that keeps batman telling himself he never kills anyone.

*curb stomps a guy and runs over them with his car* "that'll make him think twice"

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Angela Christine posted:

Batman also threw a dude off the roof in his very first appearance. It's awesome.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJCxgt7Qb6k

Surprised this didn't as much hate as the "Man of Steel" stuff (I love that movie, stfu).

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

NESguerilla posted:

I'm playing the new batman game and I'm pretty sure it's a mix of that and delusion that keeps batman telling himself he never kills anyone.
"No guns. Except for the ones one my motorcycle. That I shoot rather indiscriminately in the direction of innocent people."

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

New Leaf posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJCxgt7Qb6k

Surprised this didn't as much hate as the "Man of Steel" stuff (I love that movie, stfu).

It got some flak but remember the context. This was 7 years after Batman & Robin and that movie caused so much venom--that I was a part of that, sadly--that a movie that was not only "serious enough" but made by a relatively upstart Christopher Nolan filled with poo poo like Scarecrow's fear gas hallucinations, Ra's Al Ghul even attempted, a note-perfect Gary Oldman as Commissioner Gordon, and a heavy focus on Bruce Wayne's emotional arc got most people to give the dumb and awful poo poo like "I've got to get me one of these", Katie Holmes, the moment you posted, and the microwave bomb making no sense, a pass.

By contrast most of Man of Steel just plain doesn't work despite an ace visual director and a great cast so Superman killing Zod is more like a cherry on top of the cake that defenders of the movie use as a lightning rod to dismiss actual criticism of it.

OK Some Butt Stuff
Jun 9, 2002

stringball posted:

My Canadian friend told me rob ford was actually good aside from the crack use

He was wrong.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

mind the walrus posted:

a note-perfect Gary Oldman

Has there ever been a bad major Gary Oldman performance? I mean, I know he's been in some terrible films, but I've never seen him not kill it on screen.

ElectricWizard
Oct 21, 2008
The official XCOM facebook page just posted this piece of fan-art...

Jon Zyetta
May 6, 2003
Your Bargaining Posture Is Highly Dubious
Wrong loving thread... drat.

Jon Zyetta has a new favorite as of 02:16 on Jul 8, 2015

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
The USPS is pretty cool

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

ElectricWizard posted:

The official XCOM facebook page just posted this piece of fan-art...

I need to pay attention to things I like more. I just found out XCOM 2 is a thing.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Len posted:

I need to pay attention to things I like more. I just found out XCOM 2 is a thing.

All the gaming community is abuzz with talk of snake tits.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

BANME.sh posted:

My early internet access was not bandwidth limited, but time limited instead. I remember we started out at 30 minutes/month for something like $30. This was some time around 1996.

Mine was also time limited. (By which I mean I was allowed on the internet until such time as one of my parents wanted to use the phone.)

e:

What is it ? Is it a cake ?
I really hope it's a cake, so I can continue to dream about some poor heart-broken 6-year-old wailing while their freaked-out friends devour that thing's face.

Lady Disdain has a new favorite as of 01:28 on Jul 8, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Len posted:

As long as it has grenades that can be thrown underwater and dart guns that don't work on land I'm in.

• Locked thread