Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Drifter posted:

That's amazing, but is it any different than the videos/media already out? Or is it news because it's getting a dub or something, updated art?

I'm referring to the show, not the novels.

There's a new show being made, but I'm not sure whether the licensing is for that or the old one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Finished the silver wings series. My god does the author love Deus ex machina. I almost threw the tablet across the room when the aliens that were repeatedly described as looking like Roswell aliens are called Ross'El to their friends.

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Drops: human teeth

0 rows returned posted:

Is it worth it to continue with the Revelation Space series if the first one didn't do much for me?

I would say to check out Chasm City. That was my entry into Reynolds's RS universe, and even though it's a standalone it dovetails nicely with a lot of the plot elements of the RS trilogy, and overall is a much more memorable book to me, even ten years on.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
If I have the omnibus editions (1-6) of the Vorkosigan books, what are the books left that I need to get individually, and when should I read them between omnibus editions?

chimz
Jul 27, 2005

Science isn't about why, it's about why not.

Drifter posted:

If I have the omnibus editions (1-6) of the Vorkosigan books, what are the books left that I need to get individually, and when should I read them between omnibus editions?

I'd definitely recommend going in chronological rather than publication order, though you can hold off on the prequel 'Falling Free' until later.

From the author herself:
http://www.dendarii.com/reading_order.html

And someone else explaining which stories are in each omnibus:
http://jamesgecko.com/vorkosigan-omnibus/

As the second mentions, 'Memory' isn't in an omnibus, but you're going to want it - if you skip it you'll be very confused.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

chimz posted:

I'd definitely recommend going in chronological rather than publication order, though you can hold off on the prequel 'Falling Free' until later.

The really important part is to read Brothers in Arms, Mirror Dance and Memory in that order; and not to read anything set after Memory before reading Memory.

Also a good alternative to strict chronological order is to start with the first proper Miles book (The Warrior's Apprentice) rather than the pre-Miles duology (Shards of Honor and Barrayar; aka the "Cordelia's Honor" omnibus), and go back to read that at a later point (preferably before you get to A Civil Campaign, or you'll miss out on some loving hilarious references). The main argument for this is that the first half of said duology (Shards of Honor) is probably one of Bujold's weaker books, being an early work (and allegedly having started life in its first draft as Star Trek fanfic); the second half was written a few years later and shows a more seasoned author already.

Also there's really nothing wrong with publication order either.

TheHoodedClaw
Jul 26, 2008

Groke posted:

The really important part is to read Brothers in Arms, Mirror Dance and Memory in that order; and not to read anything set after Memory before reading Memory.

And read Komarr before A Civil Campaign.

I really, really wish I could read this series for the first time again.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Yeah, so I have the omnibuses, and then went and picked up Memory and Cryoburn - the first to read after Miles Errant, and the latter to read last. Looks good. Thank you. Should be fun.

Now, While picking up those two at amazon, there was lots of crosstalk about Kris Longknife and Honor Harrington. One of those is the bad series, right?

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Any of you guys know much about the CoDominum series by Jerry Pournelle (and quite a few other authors)?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CoDominium

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Drifter posted:

Now, While picking up those two at amazon, there was lots of crosstalk about Kris Longknife and Honor Harrington. One of those is the bad series, right?

Honor Harrington started okay as Hornblower in Space (with a Space France and Space Britain) but it spirals downhill fast. The first two books - On Basilisk Station and The Honor of the Queen are free on baen's website. Try the first, and if it's okay go to the second. If you think "hm that was okay, but it needed another 200 pages of technobabble filler and the protagonist needs to be even more awesome," then continue with the series. Otherwise, don't.

Here's the thing, though, we're discussing this in context of you buying Bujold's entire Miles series. Nobody else at Baen holds a candle to Bujold, so uh, it's going to be a pretty stark change when you finish Captain Vorpatril's Alliance and then say "hmm what next" and go for either Longknife or Harrington.

Psion fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jul 6, 2015

TheHoodedClaw
Jul 26, 2008

Drifter posted:

Yeah, so I have the omnibuses, and then went and picked up Memory and Cryoburn - the first to read after Miles Errant, and the latter to read last. Looks good. Thank you. Should be fun.

Don't forget Captain Vorpatril's Alliance which is one of the more just plain fun entries in the series.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Psion posted:

Honor Harrington started okay as Hornblower in Space (with a Space France and Space Britain) but it spirals downhill fast. The first two books - On Basilisk Station and The Honor of the Queen are free on baen's website. Try the first, and if it's okay go to the second. If you think "hm that was okay, but it needed another 200 pages of technobabble filler and the protagonist needs to be even more awesome," then continue with the series. Otherwise, don't.

This page actually has downloads for all the CDs full of free books Baen places in their hardcopies. AFAIK it's completely kosher since the contents of the CDs are free anyway. This one has the first dozen Harrington book in it, plus some side stories.

Honor Harrington is by no means a literary masterpiece, but if you like swashbuckling space navy stuff or intergalactic politics it's a fun read.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Baloogan posted:

Any of you guys know much about the CoDominum series by Jerry Pournelle (and quite a few other authors)?

I've only read The Mote in God's Eye and it's sequel, Gripping Hand.

Mote is prime classic sf and has a really cool alien planet/biosphere set up (even though you don't visit the actual planet until the second book). The space navy comes off pretty stuffy, some of which I think is age since publication and some is intentional but it doesn't quite hit the baroque bureaucracy that, say, Banks' The Algebraist evokes. I didn't enjoy Gripping Hand as much as Mote, partly because they dig deeper into the unexplained/handwaved stuff that made the Moties cool, but still worth reading.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

WarLocke posted:

This page actually has downloads for all the CDs full of free books Baen places in their hardcopies. AFAIK it's completely kosher since the contents of the CDs are free anyway. This one has the first dozen Harrington book in it, plus some side stories.

Honor Harrington is by no means a literary masterpiece, but if you like swashbuckling space navy stuff or intergalactic politics it's a fun read.

yeah I know the rest are available - and yes it's totally kosher, the Baen people know the guy who runs the fifth imperium pretty well. His name is Joe Buckley, you may remember him as a minor character who kept dying horribly in a series of books published by Baen :v: We've had this conversation before, I think.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
Used to have the Vorkosigan series on there too, but they took it down. (I'm not deleting the copy I saved, already had almost all of them in hardcopy so feel justified in keeping it for personal use.)

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

Baloogan posted:

"The Prince" (the compendium of four novels by Pournelle and Sterling) is one of my favorite mil-sf books. It details the beginning of the empire that is the background setting for Mote. It's mostly land based small/medium unit tactic type of stuff and follows one guy as he moves up in rank in the space marines and then starts a mercenary outfit, with a smattering of politics mixed in. Basically, the CoDominium Earth govt is breaking down, using colonies as dumping grounds for criminals (aka British Empire transportation), colonies want to break away, rebellions crushed, eventually one Enlightened Planet sets up what becomes the empire. It's not quite as nobility-worshiping as, say, Honor Harrington novels, though.

I've only read a few of the War World novels and they're ok, but pretty standard mil-sf pulpy stuff. It's not high literature but I enjoy the setting.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Psion posted:

Try the first, and if it's okay go to the second. If you think "hm that was okay, but it needed another 200 pages of technobabble filler and the protagonist needs to be even more awesome," then continue with the series.

Christ, really? It gets worse?

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Arbite posted:

And then it keeps getting worse. At least for the first several books (I dropped the series quite some time ago and can't say anything about the more recent books).

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Isn't that the series with the psychic space cat?

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

coyo7e posted:

Isn't that the series with the psychic space cat?

Yup. It's even implied that they're just as smart as humans and that they just exploit their status as cute furry animals so they can screw around.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Kesper North posted:

Yup. It's even implied that they're just as smart as humans and that they just exploit their status as cute furry animals so they can screw around.

That sounds like a cat alright

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Kesper North posted:

It's not implied, Honor teaches them sign language and it's shown straight out.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

hannibal posted:

"The Prince" (the compendium of four novels by Pournelle and Sterling) is one of my favorite mil-sf books. It details the beginning of the empire that is the background setting for Mote. It's mostly land based small/medium unit tactic type of stuff and follows one guy as he moves up in rank in the space marines and then starts a mercenary outfit, with a smattering of politics mixed in. Basically, the CoDominium Earth govt is breaking down, using colonies as dumping grounds for criminals (aka British Empire transportation), colonies want to break away, rebellions crushed, eventually one Enlightened Planet sets up what becomes the empire. It's not quite as nobility-worshiping as, say, Honor Harrington novels, though.

I've only read a few of the War World novels and they're ok, but pretty standard mil-sf pulpy stuff. It's not high literature but I enjoy the setting.

There's really no space opera content to the CoDominium novels. The Mote books are spacier than the rest and even then, it's more grinding battle than operatic awsomeness.

I like the fact that Falkenberg's Legion shows the importance of good training, discipline, and staff work rather than focusing on a few over-the-top-awesome supersoldiers. I find some of the politics interesting and some of them terrifying.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Arbite posted:

In book one, the protagonist is a competent but relatively untested ship captain who ~hates politics~ and is stuck in a lovely situation where she makes the tough calls and carries through to victory. Also she thinks she's ugly for some reason.

In whatever the latest book is, the protagonist is the best and most experienced fleet commander in the galaxy, is literally psychic (not just her space cat), is widely regarded as like super attractive now that she has ~confidence~, has the personal ear and respect of both her own ruling monarch (Space England) but also the president and top officials of the newly reformed and less corrupt Space France, is a high noble of the realm (so much for hating politics), is a landed noble with even more powers (literal life and death powers of everyone under her domain) on another planet and supreme admiral of their fleet, is married to another pretty good Space Admiral in a weirdo tripartite marriage I don't want to get into, has been defeated a grand total of once and it was just getting jobbed so she could escape an unescapable prison planet, lost an arm and an eye but now has a cybereye which does all sorts of fancy poo poo and a super robo-arm which has a gun built into it because of course, is a master sword duelist, pistol shot (both competition and combat), uh ... there's more, I'm sure, but you see where we're going here.

Weber was supposed to kill her just like Nelson died at Trafalgar, but he completely blinked and couldn't do it. Even he admitted this has more or less written himself into a corner so his solution is to just write about other people in the universe instead, usually by co-authoring with other people I like more. It's ... it is what it is.

e: also this is a series where a character was named "Rob S. Pierre" and founded a Committee of Public Safety; his right-hand man was Oscar Saint-Just. This was presented as clever. I leave everyone to draw their own conclusions.

Psion fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jul 7, 2015

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Psion posted:

In book one, the protagonist is a competent but relatively untested ship captain who ~hates politics~ and is stuck in a lovely situation where she makes the tough calls and carries through to victory. Also she thinks she's ugly for some reason.

In whatever the latest book is, the protagonist is the best and most experienced fleet commander in the galaxy, is literally psychic (not just her space cat), is widely regarded as like super attractive now that she has ~confidence~, has the personal ear and respect of both her own ruling monarch (Space England) but also the president and top officials of the newly reformed and less corrupt Space France, is a high noble of the realm (so much for hating politics), is a landed noble with even more powers (literal life and death powers of everyone under her domain) on another planet and supreme admiral of their fleet, is married to another pretty good Space Admiral in a weirdo tripartite marriage I don't want to get into, has been defeated a grand total of once and it was just getting jobbed so she could escape an unescapable prison planet, lost an arm and an eye but now has a cybereye which does all sorts of fancy poo poo and a super robo-arm which has a gun built into it because of course, is a master sword duelist, pistol shot (both competition and combat), uh ... there's more, I'm sure, but you see where we're going here.

Weber was supposed to kill her just like Nelson died at Trafalgar, but he completely blinked and couldn't do it. Even he admitted this has more or less written himself into a corner so his solution is to just write about other people in the universe instead, usually by co-authoring with other people I like more. It's ... it is what it is.

e: also this is a series where a character was named "Rob S. Pierre" and founded a Committee of Public Safety; his right-hand man was Oscar Saint-Just. This was presented as clever. I leave everyone to draw their own conclusions.

I stopped reading when the new super bad people looked like they would get schooled by a secondary character soon. Has that happened? Is there a third enemy now, or did the super bad people and their fancy space u-boats get to win this one time? Or did the series end?

The Solarian League losing hundreds of space ships every book got old fast, too.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Libluini posted:

I stopped reading when the new super bad people looked like they would get schooled by a secondary character soon. Has that happened? Is there a third enemy now, or did the super bad people and their fancy space u-boats get to win this one time? Or did the series end?

:shrug:

I'm gonna guess the new super bad people are getting wrecked or will be getting wrecked pretty soon, because of course they will. I don't know though, because I also stopped reading them. I enjoy reading pulpy trash fiction just to see how bad it can get but these just burned me out. They aren't actively offensive like some other authors I could name and shame, they're just so boring.

Weber super loving loves tech upgrades. This is the guy who would play Civ 5 hiding in the corner of the map teching up until he'd maxed out the tech tree and then he'd start doing things. Every time: tech upgrades, motherfucker! I actually dig that on some level, but it can only carry you so far when the rest of the book just doesn't have enough to carry it.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
I kinda prefer lovely incompetent people in my sci fi

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
I was at Barnes and Noble and they have a free booklet with a new short story in it promoting The Expanse on SyFy, anyone read it? I'm curious what people think about it.

I thought it was kind of interesting but I feel like anyone who hasn't read the rest of the books won't give a poo poo about it and and it's a bad introduction to the series, even though it treats one of the basic universe building points. It should have just been the prologue to Leviathan Wakes instead of its own story.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Libluini posted:

The Solarian League losing hundreds of space ships every book got old fast, too.

Most of the plot progress for the Mesa Alignment stuff has been happening in the Torch/Crown of Slaves books, so you only get Honor showing up for a brief cameo every once in a while. The viewpoint characters are Anton Zilwicki (a retired Manticoran super spy dude, his teen daughter is the queen of Torch) and Victor Cachat (who is basically Space France Jason Bourne) and that particular spinoff series is almost completely devoid of spaceship fights, instead it's more about ground-level spy-type infiltration stuff (with the obligatory politics infodumps mostly coming from the Mesan side).

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

WarLocke posted:

Most of the plot progress for the Mesa Alignment stuff has been happening in the Torch/Crown of Slaves books, so you only get Honor showing up for a brief cameo every once in a while. The viewpoint characters are Anton Zilwicki (a retired Manticoran super spy dude, his teen daughter is the queen of Torch) and Victor Cachat (who is basically Space France Jason Bourne) and that particular spinoff series is almost completely devoid of spaceship fights, instead it's more about ground-level spy-type infiltration stuff (with the obligatory politics infodumps mostly coming from the Mesan side).

Yeah, I've read all those books, too.

Now it looks like the Mesan Alignment gets torched in the next book and then what? One or two books of Harrington slaughtering Solarian spacers by the millions, I guess. David Weber seems to have forgotten that just having many enemies doesn't work as a threat when the only danger the heroes face is getting tired of murdering so many of them.

Edit:

The only thing I see which could get this mess back on track is if Honor Harrington's good friend gets her rear end killed when she tries to take on the Mesan Alignment with her fleet. Because otherwise, there's simply no plausible threat left.

Edit 2:

In hindsight, maybe I should spoiler this poo poo.

Libluini fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jul 7, 2015

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Yeah, you won't get any argument from me that Weber is running out of antagonists. But what can you expect, the series is seriously at least two dozen books long now if you include the spin-offs and short story anthologies.

Weber needs to find a way to just end it.

(So he can spend more time writing Safehold books :neckbeard:)

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

Zorak of Michigan posted:

There's really no space opera content to the CoDominium novels. The Mote books are spacier than the rest and even then, it's more grinding battle than operatic awsomeness.

I like the fact that Falkenberg's Legion shows the importance of good training, discipline, and staff work rather than focusing on a few over-the-top-awesome supersoldiers. I find some of the politics interesting and some of them terrifying.

Good point, I forgot I was in the space opera thread rather than the regular scifi thread.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Psion posted:

:shrug:

I'm gonna guess the new super bad people are getting wrecked or will be getting wrecked pretty soon, because of course they will. I don't know though, because I also stopped reading them. I enjoy reading pulpy trash fiction just to see how bad it can get but these just burned me out. They aren't actively offensive like some other authors I could name and shame, they're just so boring.

Weber super loving loves tech upgrades. This is the guy who would play Civ 5 hiding in the corner of the map teching up until he'd maxed out the tech tree and then he'd start doing things. Every time: tech upgrades, motherfucker! I actually dig that on some level, but it can only carry you so far when the rest of the book just doesn't have enough to carry it.

Wasn't it Honor Harrington where the author wrote like a three page derail about advances made in missile technology and missile launch technology, ending literally with "none of this mattered to the characters in this particular moment"? Because that still sticks to my mind as the most blatant and terrible infodumping I've ever read. Should be enshrined and given to each prospective mil sci-fi writer the moment they first boot up a text editor.

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

ArchangeI posted:

Wasn't it Honor Harrington where the author wrote like a three page derail about advances made in missile technology and missile launch technology, ending literally with "none of this mattered to the characters in this particular moment"? Because that still sticks to my mind as the most blatant and terrible infodumping I've ever read. Should be enshrined and given to each prospective mil sci-fi writer the moment they first boot up a text editor.

This seems like the appropriate point to post "How David Weber Orders a Pizza:"

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=635193

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

blackmongoose posted:

This seems like the appropriate point to post "How David Weber Orders a Pizza:"

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=635193

So what you're telling me is that the Safehold series is loving terrible?

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Drifter posted:

So what you're telling me is that the Safehold series is loving terrible?

It's not space opera so I don't really bring it up in this thread, but it's a lot better than his Harrington stuff. It's still Weber, if you can't stand his infodump writing style that hasn't changed, but he avoids a lot of the 'new writer' mistakes he made with Harrington, and the setting isn't a lazy 'X but in SPACE' kludge.

The main character is still pretty mary sue-ish, but it kind of fits the narrative (state-of-the-art space age android versus muskets and sabers isn't exactly an even contest) but the books acknowledge that no single person, no matter how superhuman, could simply roll up and change a society overnight, so he has to work behind the scenes, gathering allies, supporting them with 'inventions', etc.

oTHi
Feb 28, 2011

This post is brought to you by Molten Boron.
Nobody doesn't like Molten Boron!.
Lipstick Apathy
Urgh. Safehold was just so boring though. I liked some of the concepts, but the execution was very dry.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Psion posted:

Even he admitted this has more or less written himself into a corner so his solution is to just write about other people in the universe instead, usually by co-authoring with other people I like more. It's ... it is what it is.

Sheesh. I did enjoy his book with Timothy Zahn. The fact that the chief villain was just murderous and not some sado-necro-pedophile was a nice change of pace for the genre. It would have been a better ending if the heroes had only stopped one of the ships from getting away, but I guess there's only so much you can hope for.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Arbite posted:

Sheesh. I did enjoy his book with Timothy Zahn. The fact that the chief villain was just murderous and not some sado-necro-pedophile was a nice change of pace for the genre. It would have been a better ending if the heroes had only stopped one of the ships from getting away, but I guess there's only so much you can hope for.

Yeah, "A Call to Duty" wasn't bad at all. Much better than the regular Honor stuff, anyway. It got a little technical about how fictional FTL drives work, but otherwise it was decent enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

ArchangeI posted:

Sure was! And I was the terrible person who inflicted that upon this thread. Sufferrrrrrrrr.

Arbite: Yes, his Zahn collaboration started a little rocky but has some potential - it's not bad. Of particular note, it's a (chronological) prequel so the tech is much, much less advanced - this is a good thing. Also Zahn is, y'know, better at writing. Those two combine to make the potential much, much stronger than any 'current" chronology book, where the only solution to making an interesting scenario writing in a universe founded on ship combat is to ignore the ship combat. I'll be interested to see what happens in book two after A Call To Duty - it's a planned trilogy right? I sure hope it stays one.

also I found this by clicking some links from that truly accurate pizza thing.

quote:

So what we need is "Honor Harrington: David Weber's Classic Tale of Titanic Battles and Cunning Intrigue (The 'Good Parts' Version)"? I can just see the footnotes now:

"At this point I removed forty-three pages discussing missiles. Yes, forty-three. And yes, missiles. How many were fired, and by whom (3 pages). The types of heads with which they were fitted (2 pages) and a history of their technical development (5 pages). How many were destroyed, broken down by countermeasure and enemy squadron (2 pages). How many were not destroyed but sailed off harmlessly into space (1 page). How many struck their targets and what those targets were, with detailed description of the devastation wrought to life and naval property (12 pages). Then the enemy returned fire and he started _all over again_. Trust me, you don't want to read that."

• Locked thread