Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Rabelais D posted:

People are complaining because there were no big new games for the Wii U that have not been previously announced. It's quite easy to understand. They chose to go in a different direction and show stuff we already knew about. Fine. But that leads people to suspect that they are working on things for the NX and the Wii U won't see too many major new games, and that made them sad.

Nintendo's MO as of the last few years is to not really talk about things until they're close to release (or already ready to release in some cases) so given that they put out Splatoon as a big release weeks before and have all their teams on big releases in the near future it shouldn't have been any surprise that they didn't have much new stuff worth talking about.

Hell Mario Maker looked better than ever before so at least I could get hyped up about that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
they also had muppets of people!! that was amazing.

im glad we saw games already announced but with actual playable footage. i want E3 to be a "Here this is poo poo you're getting" event. Not a "we might release this at some point. no clue what will change. we might even shut the studio down before its made" kind of event. Nintendo Won.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

VideoGames posted:

could someone explain why Nintendo should have to apologise for this years E3?

i watched it. They have the world champsionships and super mario maker. they also showed off a ton of games coming out this year.

no one else did. no one else had tangible products. what the heck are they apologising for, unless its for being the best.

It's not really the announcements I don't think- it's the complete and total lack of effort and the insane amount of downtime and filler. Last year had game after game after game after game and the developer stories... I can only really recall the Yoshi one and Zelda one (which revealed Midna in Hyrule Warriors).

This year just dragged on about Miyamoto rambling about archways and how "the temple makes me think of fox tails."
Reggie spending like 5-6 minutes talking about how something big for amiibo's is coming!!! Only for it to be 2 skylanders characters.
More developer stories that literally not a single person gives a poo poo about like the yarn yoshi girl. The games coming out so, so soon that them spending 10 minutes on it was just stupid.
Federation Force being the huge fart that it was
Hey guys brand new animal crossing! Amiibo amiibo amiibo amiibo amiibo amiibo amiibo amiibo amiibo amiibo?
The last new game they showed was Mario Tennis (which from what everyone on the showfloor is saying is the most boring thing they were allowed to play)
15 more minutes of developer stories with Mario Maker and instead of ending with a big strong game it was that stupid Let's Super Mario garbage that also went on entirely too long.

There wasn't a lot to get excited about for long time fans as most of the stuff is already out in Japan or stuff we had already known about (Xenoblade X came out 2-3 months ago for example in Japan) and while it wasn't offensively bad it was just really dull and boring. I don't think anyone expected them to top Sony but still. It doesn't help the Muppets had nothing interesting done with them while last years Robot Chicken stuff was pretty funny.

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Jul 7, 2015

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Well tbh I don't live and breathe gaming news anymore so it was cool seeing that there really is a new Star Fox game and that Mario Maker lets you do all sorts of crazy poo poo. I didn't watch anything other than that one stream that showed the games though, didn't really care much for the parts where people talked.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

BattleMaster posted:

Well tbh I don't live and breathe gaming news anymore so it was cool seeing that there really is a new Star Fox game and that Mario Maker lets you do all sorts of crazy poo poo. I didn't watch anything other than that one stream that showed the games though, didn't really care much for the parts where people talked.

Exactly :v:

vvvv I don't think anyone really demanded a apology for the direct. Was just sayin why people thought it was boring/didn't like it.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Yeah but I'm not raging or demanding an apology about it, I don't care either way about it

Edit: Didn't watch the other company's streams because I don't have their systems and tuned out the part where the lady was talking about how she had the entire world's supply of Yarn Yoshi Amiibos in front of her or whatever

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Jul 7, 2015

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I feel like I might be getting old. the appearance of the muppets just brought me nothing but joy. same with the lets super mario. i think ive come back round to where I was when I started at 8. quite easily pleased and immersed in the fun totally. I dont get into gaming news anymore. i dont have all the time in the world. the wiiu is filling a fun video games hole I didnt realise was there.

i also used my cash on splatoon and hyrule warriors this week. they should be arriving today.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Congrats, you're about to play two super good games!

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Congrats, you're about to play two super good games!

so far i have had just the best fun with every single game ive played! i cant think of one that didnt grab me.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Trophies are really cool and Nintendo games should have them.

There, I said it.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
The E3 presentation was terrible because they announced a grand total of 2 new WiiU games, one of which is their fifth board game in like four years, and the other was just another tennis game that looks the same as always but in HD now and you can grow which doesn't seem to actually have much of an effect. Every other game they showed had already been covered extensively to the point where there was no new information. Except Star Fox, that was new information, but looked very light on enemies, very slow, and with very dull graphics.

On the 3ds side there were only three new games announced and all three of them were quickly glossed over. They did a terrible job showing what Metroid Federation Force is even supposed to be out why anyone should be interested, and it was a terrible way to announce a spin off game.

Ronnie
May 13, 2009

Just in case.
It doesn't matter. You'll all buy the games regardless.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Will we? I'm certainly not planning on any of the new games they announced except Paper Jam, and am pretty skeptical of Star Fox. The only games I'm definitely getting are the ones they announced like two years ago, Yarn Yoshi and Xenoblade.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
DARK
TURBO
CHARGE
DONKEY
KONG
AND
HIS
SIGNATURE
DARK
BARREL
BLASTER
LAND
VEHICLE

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
The real problem with Nintendo's e3 showing was that they didn't show Zelda. They "announced" that they wouldn't show Zelda via a single tweet like 4 months before e3. We're all disgusting and terrible nerds, so we knew about the tweet, but no normal people knew about the tweet, so for them it was just like "what?? Where's Zelda??"

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Polo-Rican posted:

The real problem with Nintendo's e3 showing was that they didn't show Zelda. They "announced" that they wouldn't show Zelda via a single tweet like 4 months before e3. We're all disgusting and terrible nerds, so we knew about the tweet, but no normal people knew about the tweet, so for them it was just like what?? Why didn't you show Zelda??

Let's be honest, the complaints are from disgusting and terrible nerds complaining on behalf of hypothetical confused normal people.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Polo-Rican posted:

The real problem with Nintendo's e3 showing was that they didn't show Zelda. They "announced" that they wouldn't show Zelda via a single tweet like 4 months before e3. We're all disgusting and terrible nerds, so we knew about the tweet, but no normal people knew about the tweet, so for them it was just like "what?? Where's Zelda??"

I love this, yes, no REAL disgusting terrible nerd would complain about Nintendo's E3 presentation.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
It's fine and normal for supernerds, like all of us, to complain about e3. We always do. What I was saying is: it's a super bad sign when even the casual audience comes away disappointed, which they all were because they mostly care about Zelda.

Overemotional Robot
Mar 16, 2008

Robotor just hasn't been the same since 9/11...

VideoGames posted:

I feel like I might be getting old. the appearance of the muppets just brought me nothing but joy. same with the lets super mario. i think ive come back round to where I was when I started at 8. quite easily pleased and immersed in the fun totally. I dont get into gaming news anymore. i dont have all the time in the world. the wiiu is filling a fun video games hole I didnt realise was there.

i also used my cash on splatoon and hyrule warriors this week. they should be arriving today.

I have watched this man post from the moment he got his WiiU and I have to say I feel the same way. I think it's easy to become jaded in an age of instant information and his posts remind me of what's really important - having fun with Nintendo stuff.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Why did they get Henson to make the puppets for a game that's clearly a Thunderbirds homage? This never would have happened if Nintendo hadn't sold Rare.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

The casuals looking up from their Candy Crushes and "Books" to watch E3.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The casuals are getting excited for Dark Turbo Charge Donkey Kong And His Signature Dark Barrel Blaster Land Vehicle.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

I really wish Skylanders was my idea. I would be so rich right now.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Why did they get Henson to make the puppets for a game that's clearly a Thunderbirds homage? This never would have happened if Nintendo hadn't sold Rare.

When I saw that for a single solitary second I thought the game would feature FMV puppets. Then I realised it would look like poo poo and embraced Starwing 3: Star Fox 64 2 HD (which sounds like I'm making GBS threads on it but it's literally what I wanted)

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Bread Set Jettison posted:

I really wish Skylanders was my idea. I would be so rich right now.

Honestly the couple times they showed it during the Treehouse it looked pretty fun. I wish I had the money to try and get into it.

I'm gettin that Bowser Sylanders amiibo either way :colbert:

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Polo-Rican posted:

Nah it's that they literally blew their load early with Smash Bros, Earthbound, and a couple other things and should've saved it all for one continuously climactic hour, topping it off with maybe a preview of Zelda but they didn't because it's coming out on NX.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Louisgod posted:

Nah it's that they literally blew their load early with Smash Bros, Earthbound, and a couple other things and should've saved it all for one continuously climactic hour, topping it off with maybe a preview of Zelda but they didn't because it's coming out on NX.

They would have "won" E3 is there wasn't a leak and the Smash incorporated into the show and ended with the "RIGHT NOW!" that people crave.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

The casuals are getting excited for Dark Turbo Charge Donkey Kong And His Signature Dark Barrel Blaster Land Vehicle.

Vicarious Visions sure has come a long way from screwing up(?) almost getting Samus into Marvel Ultimate Alliance to getting to make DARK VARIANT DONKEY KONG in Super Chargers.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Vicarious Visions made the GBA Tony Hawk 2 so I'll always like them a little bit.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Being bummed about meager 2015 offerings is understandable, but I don't understand this idea that showing more concept art for 2016/2017 titles translates to anything meaningful to you today... we already know they're making a new Zelda. I swear those some of these gamers would've creamed their pants if Nintendo had sat down and just showed concept art for the next 5 Zelda games out to 2025. People are rapacious for game trailers announcements new posters logos teasers QA panels CG trailers that the reality of the details have become irrelevant. The actual release horizon doesn't seem to matter, if Shenmue 3 and FF7HD are any indication.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Electromax posted:

Being bummed about meager 2015 offerings is understandable, but I don't understand this idea that showing more concept art for 2016/2017 titles translates to anything meaningful to you today... we already know they're making a new Zelda. I swear those some of these gamers would've creamed their pants if Nintendo had sat down and just showed concept art for the next 5 Zelda games out to 2025. People are rapacious for game trailers announcements new posters logos teasers QA panels CG trailers that the reality of the details have become irrelevant. The actual release horizon doesn't seem to matter, if Shenmue 3 and FF7HD are any indication.

I honestly felt like no matter what Sony showed of it, since they didn't say it was coming out this year, showing Last Guardian was meaningless to me. Why would anyone trust them?

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Overemotional Robot posted:

I have watched this man post from the moment he got his WiiU and I have to say I feel the same way. I think it's easy to become jaded in an age of instant information and his posts remind me of what's really important - having fun with Nintendo stuff.

much love to you.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

elf help book posted:

Vicarious Visions made the GBA Tony Hawk 2 so I'll always like them a little bit.

They also made Spider-Man 2: Enter Electro so they can gently caress themselves directly.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

VideoGames posted:

i just find it confusing. Nintendo's stuff was stellar. the NWC alone was so much ridiculous fun. then they properly showed off Game of the Decade Super Mario Maker and I couldnt believe it. then release dates for games coming out this year.

what the heck did the others do? it boiled down to "please believe these videos are indicative of final products due out at some point we dont know when lol"

Here's a recap of what Nintendo's showed off at E3

-New Smash Bros info
-Yoshi Woolly World
-Mario Maker
-Hyrule Warriors
-New Zelda game revealed
-Star Fox
-Xenoblade
-Miyamoto talks about Project Guard on the Tree House post-presentation.

Now can you tell me if I am referring to E3 2014 or E3 2015? I think that's why people were pissed.

But Sony is going to run into the same problem next year. Their system exclusives were

Uncharted 4 - March 2016
Street Fighter V - March 2016
No Mans Sky - 2016
World of Final Fantasy - 2016
Horizon - 2016
Final Fantasy 7 Remake - No Release Date
The Last Guardian - 2016, more likely 2017
Shenmue 3 - No release date. Probably 2017 at the earliest
Dreams - No release date

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I agree nintendo e3 could be seen as pretty weak due to announcing the same things and also showing off garbage like "FPS on 3ds" or "animal crossing boardgame" amidst rampant rumors of the NX and how the WiiU is waiting to die. Plus, you have to look at the other games like Fallout 4, MGS5, Mad Max, Hitman, Just Cause 3. WiiU doesn't and will never get those. IMO Square "won" E3 if only for the Fun Simulator Extreme that will be JC3, the refreshed Hitman, and how amazing DXMD will be for next year alongside poo poo like Mirror's Edge.

Even still, I am buying Mario Tennis WiiU, Mario Maker, XenobladeX, WoolyWorld, and Star Fox. That's 5 games for this year, 6 if you counted Splatoon as a recent release. The conference would have gone way better if only Ryu wasn't leaked a week or so beforehand, too. 5 great games for the rest of 2015 is great, and I'm pretty sure all of them will work day one, with no frantic patching or debacles or preorder bullshit. In a year where every port and PC version of something sucks rear end, I've never had to think "gee I hope Xenoblade works day one, I wonder if Star Fox will have a 3 gig day one patch."

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

The Shenmue thing still confuses me. If Microsoft or Nintendo had announced a loving Kickstarter for a game as part of their big E3 announcement they would've been justifiably called out on that poo poo but somehow I'm supposed to be excited because Sony did it? Like imagine if Nintendo, instead of outright funding Bayonetta 2, had announced a kickstarter for it

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Dr. VooDoo posted:

The Shenmue thing still confuses me. If Microsoft or Nintendo had announced a loving Kickstarter for a game as part of their big E3 announcement they would've been justifiably called out on that poo poo but somehow I'm supposed to be excited because Sony did it? Like imagine if Nintendo, instead of outright funding Bayonetta 2, had announced a kickstarter for it

the sony hype really died down for me once I realized "well at least 2 of these 3 games haven't even entered loving production" if was like an ad for December 2017. Who even knows what will have come out by then, people may not even give a poo poo as much.I think that's another thing I kind of like about Nintendo, they never announce poo poo that's like in pre-pre alpha state. They always did stuff like announce PunchOut Wii or DKC Returns in the space of months before it came out.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Astro7x posted:

Now can you tell me if I am referring to E3 2014 or E3 2015? I think that's why people were pissed.

i would say this E3 because ive not watched it for years and I saw all those things. in the end, it doesnt really matter. i feel like im an outlier. E3 was great because all those things are new and fun to me. mario maker being the best gosh darn thing in existence. muppets being fabulous and the NWC taking me back to when i was a kid and saw the wizard for the first time. maybe it was My E3 and not other peoples.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Dr. VooDoo posted:

I really don't mind, just because it's Shenmue-goddamn-3 :worship:. A kickstarter was most likely the only way it had a shot in hell of getting off the ground, even if it was used to wave in Sony's face for funding from them. Any other game doing the same, save maybe Mega Man Legends 3, would've been laughed out the door.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Millionaire executive for multibillion global corporation's video game arm brings a middle class wage laborer on stage to beg for money to make video game from audience.

The journalists applaud and cry tears of joy.

greatn fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Jul 7, 2015

• Locked thread