Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

Holy poo poo they do not want me in Hell today.

I go there to build a bridge and I'm accosted by 14+ dudes. Fairly sure it wasn't a blood moon either.

I actually haven't played very far into hardmode before. Is there any good bows I can stick with or am I going to have to get a gun eventually? I sorta prefer them over guns, and right now I'm using the hellstone bow and jester arrows and it seems to be trouncing everything pre-hardmode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

SirSamVimes posted:

So I've got to the stage where I begin preparing for the Wall. Do I want my general "out of mana" weapon to be Molten Fury, Hellwing Bow or the Phoenix Blaster? My ammo options are Meteorite Shot and Hellfire Arrows.

You could also just buy a stack of mana potions from the merchant. Unlike health potions, mana potions have no cooldown and you can just chug them forever. Although it's a pain in the rear end to hit J in the middle of a fight, so you might want to move it to something reachable with the left hand.

Evil Fluffy posted:

You left out the most important thing:

Skip all the early bullshit and just make a metal fishing rod, get a bug net, collect some bait, and go fishing in the Ocean because you can catch a shark pick that is as good as a molten pickaxe, giving you the ability to blow through even crimson/corruption while also doing ~15 damage or so and being autoswing, thus making it a good enough weapon even for some jungle exploration.

There's a fish-that-is-also-a-hammer you can find in the caves that does about 25-30 damage. If you're lucky enough to find that early on, it absolutely crushes most early enemies.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Dareon posted:

1.3 adds rainbow torches. Won't help the boringness of the layout, but gold lit in rainbows is at least a nice thematic mirror of demonite architecture. Add some clouds to the top of the gold tower, some Living Flame (Or yellow and red gemspark, or mystic lavafall) blocks to the bottom of the demon tower, you got a party.

I appreciate the advice, though I don't want the demon tower to look "evil" as much as powerful and "dark," and I don't want the gold tower to look "good" as much as "light." I know it's all very silly. Also any light source I add to the gold tower needs to have a lamp, which limits my options ridiculously.

http://terraria.gamepedia.com/Strange_Plant posted:

Strange Plants cannot grow within 700ft of each other, or any other dye plant.

Godfuckingdamnit that explains so much it hurts.

kvx687
Dec 29, 2009

Soiled Meat

Tyty posted:

Holy poo poo they do not want me in Hell today.

I go there to build a bridge and I'm accosted by 14+ dudes. Fairly sure it wasn't a blood moon either.

I actually haven't played very far into hardmode before. Is there any good bows I can stick with or am I going to have to get a gun eventually? I sorta prefer them over guns, and right now I'm using the hellstone bow and jester arrows and it seems to be trouncing everything pre-hardmode.
You'll probably want to use guns temporarily; there aren't many hardmode bows and most of them are drops, either from fancy mimics or from the post-mecha bosses, plus the 'easier' ones to get transform any arrows shot from them into a specific type.

Enemies seem to spawn in higher numbers in general once you get underground, I routinely see upwards of a dozen or more on my enemy indicator. It's just that Hell is so open and most of the enemies there are extremely mobile, so you're constantly swarmed. Try bringing some sunflowers and a grass generator, the Happiness buff lowers the spawn rate somewhat.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Is there any practical use for the Web Slinger?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

You could also just buy a stack of mana potions from the merchant. Unlike health potions, mana potions have no cooldown and you can just chug them forever. Although it's a pain in the rear end to hit J in the middle of a fight, so you might want to move it to something reachable with the left hand.

There's a fish-that-is-also-a-hammer you can find in the caves that does about 25-30 damage. If you're lucky enough to find that early on, it absolutely crushes most early enemies.

You can also get a 30+ damage, super fast sword from iron crates. It also autoswings.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

kvx687 posted:

You'll probably want to use guns temporarily; there aren't many hardmode bows and most of them are drops, either from fancy mimics or from the post-mecha bosses, plus the 'easier' ones to get transform any arrows shot from them into a specific type.

Eh, there's nothing wrong with a good repeater loaded up with Holy Arrows or whatnot, as long as Tyty wanted bow as in arrow shooter as opposed to bow as in bow.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

The Daedalus Bow might as well be called the Destroyer Killer. Load that baby up with holy arrows and watch the Destroyer just melt. Only annoying part is farming up unicorn horns to stock up. Bow's pretty good for invasions and wave events, too.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

50k DPS on the Destroyer with Last Prism :stare:

The only good thing about farming developer sets is that I have 200 platinum now and only Red & D-towns sets.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Ashsaber posted:

I just calculated how much it would cost to make both of the endless ammo items if you didn't have any of either, and it comes to just shy of 5 gold total, around 2 for the arrows and 2.75 or so for the musket balls. Not really a bad price for being able to run around shooting your gun/bow literally forever if you feel like it. Especially seeing as how Ranged is the DPS attack stat in the first place.

Except that basic arrows / musket balls are crap.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

Well I entered hard mode and apparently the streak of crimson goes straight through my jungle

This means I'm basically on a timer to gear up and take down Plantera right?

Trasson posted:

Eh, there's nothing wrong with a good repeater loaded up with Holy Arrows or whatnot, as long as Tyty wanted bow as in arrow shooter as opposed to bow as in bow.

That looks the be the route I'll be taking yeah. I'm just being thematic in sticking with arrows over guns/magic/yoyos/summons/etc

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

Acne Rain posted:

I have a cell phone.

Really it's not something you NEED, it's just nice if it happens. 90% of the info is useless clutter. A few pieces are extremely helpful such as the rare treasure sensor and the rare enemy sensor (helps mimic hunts and bound npc searchs a lot. AND the hunt for the nymph for her part) but I don't need my movement speed or to see my fishing level at all times. Or how many enemies are on screen.

Don't know if this has been addressed yet (I'm five pages further and it hasn't) but I don't want to forget:

Once you have the cell phone the right side of your screen is *absolutely filled* with bullshit numbers. Go into your inventory. Under the map there's circular icons that match the icons of the stats on the normal screen. Click them and they go gray, eliminating the stat from your screen.

You're welcome.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Tyty posted:

Well I entered hard mode and apparently the streak of crimson goes straight through my jungle

You can always convert it back using the Clentaminator (available after you beat any mecha boss).

Mystery Prize
Nov 7, 2010

Tyty posted:

As of 1.3, from the Wiki
Chlorophyte ore is now allowed to revert Crimson and Corruption grass to normal grass, and convert Dirt into Mud

Crimson will still try to convert the jungle, but the jungle will fight back.

neurotech
Apr 22, 2004

Deep in my dreams and I still hear her callin'
If you're alone, I'll come home.

LightningSquid posted:

You know what's horrible when you're afk farming? Solar eclipses.

Anyway, here's the farm I've been using to get the last keys I need. I already got the Crimson key, I should be able to get the Frost key since it's snowing, right?

(It's also evidence of my war crimes against Blood Jellies :ssh:)

Care to show your wiring layout?

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

RatHat posted:

Is there any practical use for the Web Slinger?

It's a really good grappling hook. :shrug:

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Gobblecoque posted:

It's a really good grappling hook. :shrug:

It has the shortest range of all the hooks and the 8 hooks are just annoying rather than helpful.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I'm guessing the old cross necklace + meteorite trick got nerfed at some point? I tried standing on a square just now and even with heavy armour and three regen boosts (campfire + heart lantern + honey) my health was going down fast.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

RatHat posted:

It has the shortest range of all the hooks and the 8 hooks are just annoying rather than helpful.

It allows you to throw out multiple hooks at once? I'm pretty sure the others limit you to 1 hook in the air at a time, if you miss you gotta wait for it to retract

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Tollymain posted:

It allows you to throw out multiple hooks at once? I'm pretty sure the others limit you to 1 hook in the air at a time, if you miss you gotta wait for it to retract

Most of the good hooks have 3 arms.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yes, but you can still only put one grapple in the air at a time, unless i'm seriously brainglitching here

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

350 Angry Bones and 100 Dark Casters down, no Tally Counter. :argh:

LEGO Genetics
Oct 8, 2013

She growls as she storms the stadium
A villain mean and rough
And the cops all shake and quiver and quake
as she stabs them with her cuffs
So you're saying you don't go around with the web slinger hook and tons of web rope coils and pretend to be spider man?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The Lone Badger posted:

I'm guessing the old cross necklace + meteorite trick got nerfed at some point? I tried standing on a square just now and even with heavy armour and three regen boosts (campfire + heart lantern + honey) my health was going down fast.

Fire blocks now give you a DoT instead of hitting you for low damage occasionally, so you can't abuse hit iframes anymore.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Tollymain posted:

Yes, but you can still only put one grapple in the air at a time, unless i'm seriously brainglitching here

You're seriously brainglitching.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

dis astranagant posted:

Fire blocks now give you a DoT instead of hitting you for low damage occasionally, so you can't abuse hit iframes anymore.

What about using dart traps?

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

watho posted:

You're seriously brainglitching.

no you are

with all other hooks you need to wait for the first hook to retract or hit a wall before you can launch a second one. the dual hook and the web slinger are the only exceptions, i think, and the dual hook cant actually connect to two different points at once

so the web slinger is actually pretty unique that way

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

TWIST FIST posted:

no you are

with all other hooks you need to wait for the first hook to retract or hit a wall before you can launch a second one. the dual hook and the web slinger are the only exceptions, i think, and the dual hook cant actually connect to two different points at once

It's still too short to be useful IMO. Cool but not very good at helping you get around. I got a web slinger and a slime hook and was disappointed when they were both worse than my ivy whip :(

watho
Aug 2, 2013

TWIST FIST posted:

no you are

Oh. I've never not used the dual hook so that would explain it. :downs:

Edit: I'm pretty sure you can have several hooks in the air with the jungle hook as well but it's been years since I've used it.

Jinx
Sep 9, 2001

Violence and Bloodshed

The Lone Badger posted:

What about using dart traps?

Pretty sure dungeon spikes will still function, and on expert mode they do the same base damage and your defence is more effective against them. You can grapple to the spike to ensure you won't move during a fight. Full regeneration gear, with fireplace and heart lantern and possinly titanium armour may be effective. Throw in some heart statues and I think it could work reasonably well.

Azzents
Oct 19, 2010

"Quoting, like smoking, is a dirty habit to which I am devoted."
After not playing Terarria since launch and probably sinking a good 30 hours in since the newest update here is my review.

Yoyos own.
Fishing owns.
Slime mount is the most OP boss killer. Nerf this poo poo.

I hope you enjoyed my write up. Thank you for your time.

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

watho posted:

Oh. I've never not used the dual hook so that would explain it. :downs:

Edit: I'm pretty sure you can have several hooks in the air with the jungle hook as well but it's been years since I've used it.

I think the jungle one has three hooks, pretty sure the king slime one is the same, but with less range.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Tanith posted:

I think the jungle one has three hooks, pretty sure the king slime one is the same, but with less range.

Jungle one has four hooks but only three can be attached to anything at a time if that makes sense.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
The best hook is the bat hook from halloween bags because it is the fastest.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

pon alien posted:

The best hook is the bat hook from halloween bags because it is the fastest.

The Spooky and Christmas Hooks are just as fast with longer range anyway.

Hell, the new Lunar Hook's even faster.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
The best hook is the bat hook because it looks cool.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
So I finally made some progress on my home.

Behold it in all it's uncreative glory. I need some spooky wood since the next tier is going to be dynasty/spooky.

Is there any way to get the halloween/christmas events without changing your computer clock?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Wall of Flesh: Considerably easier than expected. Actually the easiest Expert boss I've faced so far.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

SirSamVimes posted:

Wall of Flesh: Considerably easier than expected. Actually the easiest Expert boss I've faced so far.

I didn't even notice if it did anything new.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Goes faster after all the adds die. Goes even faster at lower health. Basically "build the highway in hell you should have been building anyway to defeat me." :shrug:

I imagine being melee in expert mode against the wall is a terrible experience.