Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib

VDay posted:

Can someone who's gotten it confirm that you don't need to actually be the leader of the Protestant League to get the Lion of the North achievement? Think I'm going to get the two Sweden achievements for my next game.

You do not. I did it the other day as just a participant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Were Poland and Brandenburg always historical lucky nations?

as long as I have been playing Brandenburg has been lucky

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

quote:

Polish culture was more like persian culture than germany. Mentality too. Poland, since the Union of Lithuania, ceased to be a Western country. Orientalisation Polish progressed quickly.

In his signature:

quote:

Ethnos: slavic
Religion: orthodox
Ideology: reactionary
Economic and Social Policy: feudalism
Religious Policy: limited pluralism
Main doctrine: Pravoslaviye, Samoderzhaviye, Narodnost'

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
errr, what?

Mehrunes
Aug 4, 2004
Fun Shoe

PittTheElder posted:

I dunno, my 1.13 Muscovy game has largely been an exercise in being starved for cash. Mind you that's because I ignored Pol-Lit in hopes they would form the Commonwealth (as always: nope!) leaving me someone strong to fight; I'm just now beginning to push out into Siberia and Westward, and my income is skyrocketing. I should run the math on where the unrest level would put me, it'd be sweet if the Tolerance of the True Faith and Unrest Bonuses meant I could manually reduce autonomy without issue.

As a Theocratic Byzantium with Religious ideas (that's 10 Tolerance all told) you can just about ignore separatism and eventually reduce autonomy, but just barely taking into account OE and keeping stab up with the stacking discounts. The 25% tax bonus from 100 devotion takes most of the bite out of max PA as well. Without all that I don't think that's all that feasible.

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.
Attempt #150: success!

Albania or Iberia is a hard achievement, okay?

Some notes:

- You need to move fast in the early game, as Ottomans will warn you within the first month and your god general has a habit of dying really quickly. NoCB declare on Serbia and annex (you'll need to build up to your forcelimits just to siege their capital, but just eat as many loans as you have to - they're only 2 each when you're an OPM - and don't stand them down just yet). I suppose you can release OPM Montenegro if you really need to, but other than that try and keep autonomy low on that gold province as you are going to need it for pretty much the entire game. Immediately develop it up to 10 DIP so you can maximise your income without any risk of degrading it.

- You must buddy up to both Austria and Poland. This is the only hope you have of dealing with the Ottomans. For this to work you need to a) build up to forcelimits b) use every relation-improving trick in the book c) remain Catholic, for now, to avoid the -10 to accepting alliances for heretic religion. Honour their CTAs under all circumstances. The Trust modifier is going to be key for convincing them to hurl themselves into the Ottomans repeatedly.

- As soon as you've got your allies, go Orthodox. Your early game is precarious enough without converting every single Balkan province and more as you expand into the Ottomans. You can accept rebel demands and convert that way as you're over 50% Orthodox, but be aware that will zero your alliances and you need to be sure you can remake them. Keep at forcelimits until they're settled.

- If Venice attacks you early on, it's relatively trivial to repel marine assaults now that armies get locked into movement. It's actually a good thing, as Ottoman warnings will stop you from attacking them until you can beat the Ottomans down. With luck you can grab Dalmatia and join the HRE (not required, but it can be nice and I imagine a Catholic Albania could eventually become Emperor).

- Grab as much Balkans as you can before preparing for the Ottoman showdown. You'll be racing Hungary for some of it so don't waste time. Attempts to expand into Italy in order to build up more strength, uh, didn't go well.

- Be prepared for your allies to let you down or for the Ottomans to just be ridiculously unstoppable. Spend your gold money on forts (you get defence bonuses from the start) and use Scorched Earth to buy your allies time to actually show up, as well as bleeding Otto manpower. Austria is something of a disappointment in Common Sense as it can't seem to hold the HRE, but on the plus side this may well mean that, like me, you can grab Vienna sometime for the free Westernisation decision.

- Abuse the hell out of vassals and marches. You can feed Byz back its cores as you chip at the Ottomans and grow Georgia (which you might well be able to diplo-vassalise from across the Black Sea) into the Caucasus for that requirement. By the end here I've fed Wallachia most of Hungary and Catalonia holds all of Iberia for that side of the achievement. Wallachia's ideas are pretty well-suited.

- In terms of idea groups: Economic's a good starter for the inflation control (seeing as your early game income will be some 50% gold, and you'll have taken a bajillion 2 ducat loans, this is a big deal). Obviously various mil ideas will be necessary, but keep an especial eye out for good policies down the line. You'll get national ideas for cavalry down the line, so I took Aristocratic as my first mil set. By the time you're taking your third you should be in a position to be doing vassal shenanigans, so Influence will be great (though I'd already wasted a lot of points on annexing, so maybe earlier?). After that, play it by ear.

Long story short, Albania isn't as bad as it looks. It's one of the hardest starts I've ever played but once you have the Ottomans under control you notice that drat, your idea set is fantastic and you're good for tech because your starting ruler and heir are both fantastic.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

A reactionary feudalist Slav on the Paradox Forums explains that Poland was an Oriental country.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

so uh, is it normal for the ottomans to convert to orthodox? maybe it's a bug in dei gratia or something

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Another Person posted:

as long as I have been playing Brandenburg has been lucky

Was that yesterday or a decade ago?

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

ThePutty posted:

so uh, is it normal for the ottomans to convert to orthodox? maybe it's a bug in dei gratia or something

they start with a lot of Orthodox land, rebels can convert them if their attention gets divided

e; knuc it was like a year ago, perhaps a month or so after AoW

fwiw, as long as I have known, luckies have been England, France, Castile, Portugal, Austria, Muscovy, Ottoman, Brandenburg, Poland and Sweden

Brandenburg is probs the one which starts weakest, and it is not rare to see them get destroyed, which makes them look a lot less lucky

Another Person fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Jul 7, 2015

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

BBJoey posted:

In his signature:

Struggling to give a gently caress mate

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Another Person posted:

they start with a lot of Orthodox land, rebels can convert them if their attention gets divided

e; knuc it was like a year ago, perhaps a month or so after AoW

fwiw, as long as I have known, luckies have been England, France, Castile, Portugal, Austria, Muscovy, Ottoman, Brandenburg, Poland and Sweden

Brandenburg is probs the one which starts weakest, and it is not rare to see them get destroyed, which makes them look a lot less lucky

I'm dead sure there used to be only 7 luckies.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I'm dead sure there used to be only 7 luckies.

Oh, well it has definitely been 10 luckies since I started. Looking at the wiki now, if you go to the original page for lucky nations, it only lists eight, leaving out Poland and Brandenburg, so I guess it has changed. It does say that if you picked one of the other eight though, that Poland would then become lucky.

Either way, yup, it seems they added two more at some point.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I knew I wasn't going crazy. Poland is freaking strong these days.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

PrinceRandom posted:

Struggling to give a gently caress mate

Wow rude

Has anyone done Big Blue Blob yet? It seems like you'd need the stars to align to get enough monarch points to core everything in time, even moreso than usual for hard achievements.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I knew I wasn't going crazy. Poland is freaking strong these days.

Yeah they definitely are, in the latest DLC at the very least. They tend to lose the PU, but do well for themselves regardless, eating most of East and West Prussia without trouble.

I've seen them take some real chunks out of Hungary too, which is odd, since usually Austria protects them like their newborn baby.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

New update for the 1.13 Beta

quote:

###################
# Gamebalance
###################

# Development
- Cost to develop provinces now increases non-linearly, with no additional cost for development levels below 10 and a scaling increase at 20, 30, 40, etc. Overall cost is cheaper at low levels, about the same at mid levels and much higher at very high levels.

# Religion
- Greatly reduced doom reduction from occupying provinces.

# Technology
- Development & Administrative efficiency is now gained 10/20% at a time around 1630, 1700 and 1760, for a total of 30/60%.

# War
- Siege memory (the amount of siege progress you can store up from time) is now increased with unlocking new fortifications, so that late game forts are not so impossible to besiege.

###################
# AI
###################

# Economy
- Will now tear forts down if it ends up with too many relative to its development level.

# War
- Fixed a bug where the AI would refuse to accept even a 100% peace if it had you beaten badly enough.
- Will no longer suicide ships against navies that it thinks are leaving a province before they actually are.

###################
# Script
###################

- Removed has_switched_nation=no requirement from all 1.12 achievements that are not related to a specific nation.

###################
# Bugfixes
###################

- Flat Province Values now correctly sets base production to a flat value.
- Can no longer destroy buildings in a province under siege.
- No longer possible to seize colonies outside of coring range.
- Trade fleets that are automatically merging can now do so even when movement locked, so to fix two fleets never merging because of timing issues.
- Fixed a bug where exiled troops were able to join ongoing sieges.
- Added a sanity check to all achievements that blocks them if difficulty has somehow been modified in the ironman save.
- Fixed a bug where blockades would prevent taking provinces due to incorrectly calculating them as out of range.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
Can someone explain combat to me please? Is there anything i can do or do i just send my troops in with a numerical advantage and hope to god they somehow come out victorious without too many casulties? I presume i don't have much input, appart from where and when they battle? When im playing smaller nations im finding it nigh on impossible to beat or even contend with the stacks thrown against me.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

I've got an Ottoman game going on. Got really lucky and it's 1500 and I've got all of the Balkans under my control, no coalitions, and a crescent Syria march on its way to cut off Africa and Asia from me. Unfortunately Castille and France just fought a PU war over Hungary and France won. I can't expand further into Europe and hitting up Viena for the free westernization seems unlikely with its French ally having Hungary. Is there any way to help induce the break up of this PU?

Chipp Zanuff posted:

Can someone explain combat to me please? Is there anything i can do or do i just send my troops in with a numerical advantage and hope to god they somehow come out victorious without too many casulties? I presume i don't have much input, appart from where and when they battle? When im playing smaller nations im finding it nigh on impossible to beat or even contend with the stacks thrown against me.

The first thing to take into consideration is terrain. If you click on a province the province window will come up, and at top will be an image banner showing the provinces' terrain. Hover over it to see a tooltip telling you the penalties (if there are any) for attackers in that province. Try your best to not attack into provinces with penalties to the attackers. Try to lure the enemy into attacking you on those provinces. Also look for river crossings. At the top right of the province window you may see an icon of a river. Hover over it for a tooltip. If there's a river crossing, it will say between what provinces. Crossing over a river, or attacking on bad terrain, cause penalty to the die rolls that the attacker uses in combat. These penalties do stack, and they can really add up.

You've got three types of units. Infantry are going to be the bulk of your forces, unless you're a steppe horde. They will always occupy the frontline and they will die fast. Cavalry also occupy the frontline. If your cavalry and infantry are greater in number than the enemy's cavalry and infantry your cavalry units will get a flanking bonus and will do more damage. It's a good idea to always carry some cavalry around with you. Every tech group has a maximum % of their combat forces that can be cavalry before penalties happen. If you're playing as a western nation and your army in battle is more than 50% cavalry (in terms of people, not units assigned) then you'll suffer some pretty severe combat penalties. You can select an army unit, and somewhere in the unit window near a picture of cavalry there's a tooltip telling you your tech group's percentage. Memory's a bit fuzzy on this one. You can check also check a wiki. Artillery aren't there to start, and they start out kind of lovely but end up pretty good. They're a backline unit and can attack from the back. If there's not enough other units (infantry and cavalry) for them to be behind, they'll be moved up to front where they'll take a lot of damage.

There's also a thing called combat width, which is how many units can be put onto a battle line at once. Terrain can modify this, tech modifies this as well. You can check the tech tab to see how tech modifies your combat width but it doesn't state what your starting combat width is. I believe it to be 8, but someone may correct me. Let's say for instance that you have a combat width (after modifiers) of 25. This means you can have 25 front line and 25 back line units in combat at once. If you've got 23 infantry, 2 cavalry, and 25 artillery they'll fit in there perfectly. If you've got 30 infantry, 10 cavalry, and 10 artillery then your backline will be a bit empty and your front line will be stuffed. If you're western tech and you've got 4 infantry, 8 cavalry, and 20 artillery then a lot of the artillery will be shoved to the front line and you'll face massive combat penalties due to the cannons being on the front line and the cavalry outnumbering the infantry. Weaker units will rotate out to be replaced by stronger units. All units take a base level of morale damage a day even if they're not in the front or back line. So it's a better idea to reinforce then to shove all units into a combat at once.

Basically avoid attacking on bad terrain, keep in mind your combat width and army formation and you can do well. I've used mountainous river crossings to great effect in utterly ruining opposing armies five times my size and you can too.

There are more (like fire, shock, pips) which I'm sure someone else can explain better than me.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

TTBF posted:

I've got an Ottoman game going on. Got really lucky and it's 1500 and I've got all of the Balkans under my control, no coalitions, and a crescent Syria march on its way to cut off Africa and Asia from me. Unfortunately Castille and France just fought a PU war over Hungary and France won. I can't expand further into Europe and hitting up Viena for the free westernization seems unlikely with its French ally having Hungary. Is there any way to help induce the break up of this PU?

You can easily break a PU if you crush them in a war or two to give them negative prestige. Just use Humilliate, take a few provinces and do it again after the truce before they can recover too much. I had to do it when Commonwealth got a PU over France in my Ottoman game.

If that's not an option I think you can only wait and hope it'll break on its own.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

After playing with the changes a bit I can really appreciate this:

quote:

- Cost to develop provinces now increases non-linearly, with no additional cost for development levels below 10 and a scaling increase at 20, 30, 40, etc. Overall cost is cheaper at low levels, about the same at mid levels and much higher at very high levels.

Some very small nations that tend not to expand much get really developed if they survive for a long time. It's ~1685 and the best province in the world right now looks like Wallachia's 29 basetax Tirgoviste. Along with that, the entire world has forgotten Yemen as they've been exiled to Socotra, which is 17/4/18.

:psyduck:

firestruck
Dec 28, 2010

nullify me

Odobenidae posted:

After playing with the changes a bit I can really appreciate this:

Some very small nations that tend not to expand much get really developed if they survive for a long time. It's ~1685 and the best province in the world right now looks like Wallachia's 29 basetax Tirgoviste. Along with that, the entire world has forgotten Yemen as they've been exiled to Socotra, which is 17/4/18.

:psyduck:

In the Ternate game I'm playing I turned my back on OPM Malacca for like a decade and when I clicked on their province it was bigger than London + Paris combined.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
The best thing about the recent changes to development is that it's now actually worth building up non-farm/grassland provinces if your good provinces already have high development, so you no longer have the stupid situation where you have most of your provinces at 10-20 development and a couple of giant provinces.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Chipp Zanuff posted:

Wiki it, the full combat explanation about 3 pages long

The main things you need to know:
Terrain and general advantage to combat rolls have huge effect, you want to bait enemy to attack you across the river into mountain province, not the other way around. General fire and shock is added to rolls, maneuver score will let him evade river crossing if it's higher than enemy's.

Technology advantage is another big factor - there is a jump in strength between some military tech levels if they give more tactics or unlock new units, even paying ahead of time penalty on one of those techs is a good investment if you're going to war.

Combat width is limited, depending on technology and terrain only so many units can fight, adding more changes nearly nothing.
That has some implications that aren't obvious - 1)units not fitting the combat or placed into second row still get demoralized, even if they dont take losses, so drip-feeding reinforcement from next province over will fare better than piling in all at once. 2)regiments that are damaged fight proportionally worse, but still take same combat slot, 30 badly damaged regiments will be easily shattered by 10 full ones, so consider hitting consolidate regiment button if a fight is approaching your damaged army.

Pyromancer fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Jul 7, 2015

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011
The only idea I have that modifies tech cost is the one in Administrative that gives -10% to admin tech. I have Administrative, Trade, Defensive and Humanist ideas, and I'm playing as the Ottomans. So why do I get a 14% discount to diplomatic and military tech, and 26% for admin tech due to "ideas"? It should be 10% for admin and 0% for diplo/military, right?

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014
Is Expansion a decent idea for a Japan looking to colonize Asia and Australia, or will Europe beat me to it and make it a wasted idea?

And will I be able to find anything to colonize without Exploration?

Edit: Thanks, I will use Exploration instead then.

Party In My Diapee fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Jul 7, 2015

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

Back To 99 posted:

Is Expansion a decent idea for a Japan looking to colonize Asia and Australia, or will Europe beat me to it and make it a wasted idea?

You'll need Exploration to discover half of that stuff, but it should give you plenty time to fill the whole Indonesia region before Europeans come knocking.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

Apoffys posted:

The only idea I have that modifies tech cost is the one in Administrative that gives -10% to admin tech. I have Administrative, Trade, Defensive and Humanist ideas, and I'm playing as the Ottomans. So why do I get a 14% discount to diplomatic and military tech, and 26% for admin tech due to "ideas"? It should be 10% for admin and 0% for diplo/military, right?

Each idea will grant a -2% discount to technologies of its monarch power type. The -10% for admin shows up as "Civil Service" since that's the name of the idea and comes in addition to the -14% you get from the complete idea group.

vvvv:smug:vvvv

Chickpea Roar fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Jul 7, 2015

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Apoffys posted:

You get a 2% tech discount from each Idea you take - every Military idea is -2% military tech cost, for instance.

Edit: Curse you Chickpea Roar!!

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011
Thanks. Now I just need to westernize so I can catch up to the infidels in tech. Only a few more years of separatism in "Viyana" (Wien) before I can hit the button...

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Apoffys posted:

All ideas give a small tech discount to their category.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

VDay posted:

Can someone who's gotten it confirm that you don't need to actually be the leader of the Protestant League to get the Lion of the North achievement? Think I'm going to get the two Sweden achievements for my next game.

I was told you don't have to be the leader of the league, you just need to be the one to declare war. Which worked out for me. I wasn't the protestant league leader, but I declared war, and got the achievement when we won.

So definitely declare war before France or the Ottopukes decide they hate you so much that they'd join the Catholic League just to spite you.

Node fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Jul 7, 2015

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009
Austria has been a joke in all my games so far in the beta patch. Maybe adjust the diplomatic AI a little so that anyone that wants to be Emperor spends some diplo slots on cozying up to electors?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So it's the mid 1700's and I've started really gobbling up OPM's and minor european countries. They're all 50-100 development. Rome is 100, even a bunch of forest-terrain provinces are in the 80 range, it's insane. I'm glad they re-balanced things a bit more.

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan
Just encountered a strange... bug? Playing as France I started a war with England to reclaim my continental cores. The declaration screen said my allies Austria and Castile would accept (and I had them checked), so I declared. Next thing I know I'm facing England and all of its allies by myself and I can't call Castile or Austria to war. What happened?

Contrecoup
Mar 30, 2015
I've had a similar problem of enemies refusing a peace deal the UI said they'd agree to. Nearest I can guess is that a lot of derived stats like war score, diplomatic relations, dance around a but as they're beung recalculated.

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013
Does this mean the bug with the Dutch development cost is still there?

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Just saw war leader Hungary give France a ton of Burgundian provinces in a war against Austria, causing a massive coalition war. I'm surprised the AI can just dump +80AE on someone like that, it'd really suck if they did it to you.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Contrecoup posted:

I've had a similar problem of enemies refusing a peace deal the UI said they'd agree to. Nearest I can guess is that a lot of derived stats like war score, diplomatic relations, dance around a but as they're beung recalculated.

Yeah, the AI's willingness to accept a peace is being constantly recalculated, so if you send them a really marginal peace deal (+1 or +2 to accept), it common enough that when they receive it the next day, they've changed their mind.

Elman posted:

Just saw war leader Hungary give France a ton of Burgundian provinces in a war against Austria, causing a massive coalition war. I'm surprised the AI can just dump +80AE on someone like that, it'd really suck if they did it to you.

They can, they do, and it's hilarious (when it happens to other people). It's why you should transfer the occupation of provinces you don't want away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Does anyone know if certain countries are hardcoded to be a certain religion? As the Ottomans I went to great pains to take the Sicilian-cultured Neapolitan-cores from Aragon in time to convert them then release Naples as my Muslim vassal in Sicily, to feed the rest of Naples to. However, after all of this effort, I went to release Naples and they were released as a Catholic.

Good god. My poor braincells. What have I done?

• Locked thread