Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Fyadophobic posted:

Why did I always assume this comic was British?

Well its written by a Scot. I was actually assuming it was set somewhere in the U.K as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

You can't hide from the Grim Reaper. Especially when he's got a gun.

dr_rat posted:

Well its written by a Scot. I was actually assuming it was set somewhere in the U.K as well.

It's also got very much a British comic aesthetic. It's like something from Private Eye.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
And the Dilbert storyline, which was getting interesting, ends in the most predictable and boring way possible.

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

Redeye Flight posted:

And the Dilbert storyline, which was getting interesting

let's not say things we can't take back

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

dismas posted:

let's not say things we can't take back

Someone blowing Dilbert up with a drone would have been a pleasant surprise.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
Adams should just kill off Dilbert already and just make the strip all Wally all the time.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

The adventures of a lovable rear end in a top hat slacker? In the comics? It'll never work.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Beethoven's heritage has been a "thing" for awhile, but any supporting evidence would be second or third hand. From a little googling, the theory was proposed as early as the 1910s, but gained a bit more publicity around the 50s or 60s.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Mercury Hat posted:

Beethoven's heritage has been a "thing" for awhile, but any supporting evidence would be second or third hand. From a little googling, the theory was proposed as early as the 1910s, but gained a bit more publicity around the 50s or 60s.

I always find those 'one drop rule' things to be kinda... ugh, I don't want to use the word 'problematic', but I'm not sure if I have something that fits better

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

It's a tricky enough thing to talk about with living people in our own culture, let alone someone who's been dead centuries and existed before photographs and in a different social culture.

I mean, remember the one drop rule was a thing because of Jim Crow laws and other racially-motivated thought processes in strictly segregated ares. It's possible Beethoven had a Moor or Sub-Saharan African ancestor, but there's no way to know. Sometimes phenotypes rearrange and pop up unexpectedly.

This is Sandra Laing with her two biological white South African parents. She had at least three previous generations of white ancestors, but under the apartheid era she was classed as "colored".

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

EasyEW posted:

Peanuts (July 9, 1969)

I miss Morrie Turner :smith:

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

That really was the plan. One day of brutally intense training (to the point Rad Dad couldn't get out of the car at the end of the day) to prepare for this big grueling race. I hope he at least got the weekend to recuperate, but it's hard to tell how time works in comics.

The Amazing Spider-Man

Sally Forth

The Heart of Juliet Jones

Middle panel might make a decent avatar for somebody when we get closer to election time.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Christ, I'm trying to imagine this mom's reaction if she popped out a kid with Down's, or a cleft palate, or a zombaby or something. I really hope Lynn's intent was to write this character as an insufferable oval office, because I can't see how you could read her as anything but.

Allow me to repost this comment from gocomics that somebody made at the start of the arc.

quote:

Anne used to be all about health food. She made Christopher’s baby food from scratch, rather than buy commercial. She used organic fruits and vegetables and baked her own bread with whole wheat flour. However with two active boys and a baby on the way, it got too time-consuming and probably too expensive. So now she’s feeling guilty because she exposed her unborn baby to evil food preservatives so this is all her fault. Maternal logic is an amazing thing to behold.

Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

:sugartits:

Arlo and Janis

Andertoons

Lost Side of Suburbia

Dick Tracy

Deep Dark Fears

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Mercury Hat posted:

It's a tricky enough thing to talk about with living people in our own culture, let alone someone who's been dead centuries and existed before photographs and in a different social culture.

I mean, remember the one drop rule was a thing because of Jim Crow laws and other racially-motivated thought processes in strictly segregated ares. It's possible Beethoven had a Moor or Sub-Saharan African ancestor, but there's no way to know. Sometimes phenotypes rearrange and pop up unexpectedly.

Also, racism as we know it didn't exist until chattel slavery needed an excuse to exist.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

plainswalker75 posted:

Does it still count as failing the Bechdel test if your comic is about lesbians?
I would say no, based purely on the origin of the Bechdel test.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

The Phantom

Radio Patrol

Rip Kirby

Big Ben Bolt

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Julet Esqu posted:

Radio Patrol

I think he stumbled on a cult of Dagon. Look at all those fish-faces!

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Just in time to completely miss Monday in God's Own Time Zone, here's Pogo! (July 5-6, 1957)

Peanuts: Year Three (October 30-November 2, 1952)

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

Judge Parker

9 Chickweed Lane

What do you expect from a couple of windbags?

Pibgorn

Not big on discussion? Working for Brooke must do that to you.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Calvin and Hobbes

Ripley's

Outland tomorrow.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Kennel posted:

She's actually Chatu.
...The Python!

F Minus

Well they are white.

Edit: The driver appears to be, at least.

Mary Worth

Rex Morgan MD

Secret Agent X-9

Geez. X-9 can't go anywhere without stumbling into an undercover operation.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Johnny Walker posted:

Mary Worth

What the hell does "I fling open every door" even mean?
I think it means they're about to have sex right there in front of that guy they just tied up.

GorfZaplen posted:

The Phantom
:dance:

I don't like fireworks. I don't dislike them, as such, but they're just coloured lights and loud noises. I don't understand why that's still a thing people spend money on or go out of their way to see.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Tiggum posted:

I don't like fireworks. I don't dislike them, as such, but they're just coloured lights and loud noises. I don't understand why that's still a thing people spend money on or go out of their way to see.
Are you also confused by film and television and video games? Does audiovisual stimulus just disinterest you in general?

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

FactsAreUseless posted:

Are you also confused by film and television and video games? Does audiovisual stimulus just disinterest you in general?

Tiggum is a great poster. Puts up a ton of comics. I appreciate the effort that Tiggum puts into this, and other threads. Now, Having said that, Tiggum is autistic as fuuuuuuck.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Yes Lynn, make sure to show the six fingers in at least one panel in every comic the baby is in. Wouldn't want us to forget its freakish nature!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

FactsAreUseless posted:

No, that's kind of the point. With all those other options, why choose fireworks? It's just a clearly inferior use of your time and money.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

Wanamingo posted:

Lost Side of Suburbia

Now I know why the name McSorley rang a bell. He was the captain of the Edmund Fitzgerald when it wrecked in 1975.

Jane's World

Non Sequitur

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Kliban's Cats

Shouldn't really be a problem hitting that one.

9 Chickweed Lane 7/7/2004

Zits

Kevin & Kell

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Jane's girlfriend is a bitch, Jesus Christ.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

The creeps is back! In reruns, but... hey!

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
Modesty Blaise

It's an orgy, but not the fun kind!

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Oh man, Petey's weirdo camp friends! Totally forgot about them.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Mandrake the Magician

The Phantom

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Dinette Set sets up some boundaries.

Working Daze does a nerdz-n-sportz joke.

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix teases.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Monty

Mike du Jour

Intelligent Life

Retail

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Evil Mastermind posted:

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix teases.

Alright, own up, which one of us is Bolling?

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Skippy (May 8, 1928)

Peanuts, in which the girls figure out that grazin' in the grass is a gas. (July 8, 1969)

And speaking of gas, Funky Winkerbean gives us the usual flatulence.

And while we're on the topic of unsympathetic jerks, Popeye!

Rip Haywire

I almost forgot we also hit the reset button on Duelling Scar Walt Wallet.

Out Our Way (June 24-25, 1927)

Thimble Theater, in which Castor is a concerned employer. (January 23, 1929)

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

EasyEW posted:

And speaking of gas, Funky Winkerbean gives us the usual flatulence.

This is why you get a contract! :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Thank god I have an ipod shuffle!

• Locked thread