Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.
Heaven's Love Thrift Shop

Getting that one verse clarified made you understand the entire Bible?

I don't think I could go out for lunch after eating a huge breakfast.

He's eating a Dagwood sandwich

Dag isn't making his sheep lie down in green pastures though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Julet Esqu posted:

Sally Forth

We don't say it often enough, but Sally Forth is a really good strip. Look at the level of detail. Someone knows and cares what they're putting in their strip. Missing the Bullet Farmer's crazy treaded muscle car though

quote:

The Amazing Spider-Man

I like how his spider sense is going off only now.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Ardeem posted:

I never knew how badly I needed a Lego Doof Wagon until just now. :allears: :perfect:

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Peanuts (July 7, 1968)

Anal Retentive Chronological Alert: The Eternal Rerun Machine is going to be jumping back and forth for awhile because most of July 1968 was a "Snoopy for president" storyline, and it's become obvious that they're setting that aside for next year.

Funky Winkerbean

One of the perks of running late is that I got to see the obnoxious discussion in the comment thread about why kids are so depressing these days. The answer, spelled out as bluntly as usual, is that every generation that isn't the Boomers is a cosmic dingleberry.

The downside is that none of that has anything to do with the fact that we're going to be spending a week at Les Moore's half-assed reunion. The upside is that none of that has anything to do with the fact that we're going to be spending a week at Les Moore's half-assed reunion.

Classic Popeye Sunday, in which we're still a'livin, so everything's okay. (January 11, 1948)

Pogo, in which we join a lion's identity crisis already in progress. (May 9, 1965)

Out Our Way (June 20-21, 1927)

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
Reply All

Pearls Before Swine

Pros & Cons

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Arlo and Janis

Andertoons

Lost Side of Suburbia

Dick Tracy

I'LL SKIP THIS ONE

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Evil Mastermind posted:

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix stays positive.

You don't understand, Chunks is my dog!

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
Modesty Blaise

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Kammat posted:

Modesty Blaise

They didn't give Macey the mace? Boo!

That last panel. Her expression. God I love this strip.

Julet Esqu posted:

Sally Forth

First it was the little bitty Doof Wagon, and then I noticed the pole jumper Lego guy.

Magnificent.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Wanamingo posted:

Zippy the Pinhead

Huh

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Come on, sir. If you're gonna go for a rebellious alter ego, go for a rebellious alter ego.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Julet Esqu posted:

Sally Forth

You're all missing the most amazing part of this strip, which is that in panel 3, he actually drew the George Miller low camera angle shot that Ted is talking about.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Nice thong, and cock hammock going there. What the hell. And where's tubby's wife?
Underboob, too. This poo poo can show in newspapers, but Heavenly Nostrils has to change its name.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Vargo posted:

You're all missing the most amazing part of this strip, which is that in panel 3, he actually drew the George Miller low camera angle shot that Ted is talking about.
I noticed that. Sally Forth really is a great strip with a great team behind it.

F Minus

Mary Worth

What the hell does "I fling open every door" even mean?

Rex Morgan MD

Secret Agent X-9

This might be the beginning of a new story? The last one ended pretty abruptly if so.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Johnny Walker posted:

What the hell does "I fling open every door" even mean?
It means she's going to be emotionally open to him. Also, sex.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Wanamingo posted:

Whoops, forgot to post yesterday's Nancy.

did sluggo die? why are they so loving sad?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Nancy's only reference points for relationships come from overwrought, melodramatic country songs.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?
Jane's World

And you knew this, how?

Non Sequitur

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Kliban

9 Chickweed Lane 7/6/2004

What?

Zits

Kevin & Kell

Holbrook's soliciting funding. So here's a thing... http://virtunoir.com/

I didn't go digging around too much because work. Maybe later. Anyway...

Beavers don't use bricks and mortar.

:v:

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

That's a weird girl I'll tell you that.

goatface posted:

Nancy's only reference points for relationships come from overwrought, melodramatic country songs.

Haha.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

goatface posted:

What makes it all the worse is it's a pair of 8 year olds acting like they're in a soap opera. It's not cute for an 8 year old to want to go on a diet because she thinks she's fat, it's sad and weird.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Mercury Hat posted:

it's sad and weird.

the people who make newspaper comics

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Christ, I'm trying to imagine this mom's reaction if she popped out a kid with Down's, or a cleft palate, or a zombaby or something. I really hope Lynn's intent was to write this character as an insufferable oval office, because I can't see how you could read her as anything but.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Christ, I'm trying to imagine this mom's reaction if she popped out a kid with Down's, or a cleft palate, or a zombaby or something. I really hope Lynn's intent was to write this character as an insufferable oval office, because I can't see how you could read her as anything but.

Well maybe she shouldn't have married her cousin.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Mandrake the Magician

The Phantom

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

GorfZaplen posted:

The Phantom

:stare: Well that was unexpected.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Dinette Set prepares to have company over.

Working Daze is a singularity of crap.

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix is just askin' if you're cool, man.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

SynthOrange posted:

:stare: Well that was unexpected.

Looks like we'll find out who the next Phantom is very soon indeed!

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

GorfZaplen posted:

The Phantom

Heloise tosses Kit Jr. from the treehouse and suddenly becomes the first female phantom! Believe it, or Not!

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Monty

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBqhIVyfsRg

Mike du Jour

Intelligent Life

Retail

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Mike Lester, go die in a fire.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
Reply All

Pearls Before Swine

Pros & Cons

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
There are terrible similarities I think between Working Daze and Holbrook's Fast Track comic. They both have this weird transformation fetish thing going for them, the boss who is some kind of terrible jerk but we're still supposed to like them (I think?) and also they both are bad. I couldn't think of a third reason so I just threw a fact in there.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

Heloise tosses Kit Jr. from the treehouse and suddenly becomes the first female phantom! Believe it, or Not!

She's actually Chatu.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Good Listener posted:

There are terrible similarities I think between Working Daze and Holbrook's Fast Track comic. They both have this weird transformation fetish thing going for them, the boss who is some kind of terrible jerk but we're still supposed to like them (I think?) and also they both are bad. I couldn't think of a third reason so I just threw a fact in there.
They're both terrible at characterization, too. Holbrook and Zakour both seem to have a hard time going beyond "character has characteristic" jokes. Yeah, Working Daze is supposed be a gag-a-day strip, but when each character has only one gag that wears out really loving quick.

I'd also say that they both keep trying to put what they think is their "breakout" character out there in more media, but can't grasp that nobody cares because they can't do anything beyond the "character has characteristic" safe zone. Once you start writing novels and side stories and poo poo you need to stop relying on stupid one-off puns and actually write things.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Should have had GFI outlets in the bathroom. :colbert:

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Skippy (May 7, 1928)

And that's how you great-great-grandpa did meta. Come back tomorrow and we'll look at his stamp collection.

Peanuts (July 7, 1969)

Funky Winkerbean: YUP.

Popeye

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (June 22-23, 1927)

Thimble Theater (January 22, 1929)

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Jul 7, 2015

Frog and Toad
Jul 31, 2008

EasyEW posted:

Peanuts (July 9, 1969)

:staredog:

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Jane's World

And you knew this, how?

Does it still count as failing the Bechdel test if your comic is about lesbians?

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

plainswalker75 posted:

Does it still count as failing the Bechdel test if your comic is about lesbians?

The Bechdel test, if you expound it to '...the sex you want to sleep with' is constantly in peril in Jane's World.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl at Home
Dec 25, 2014

Well hoot, I don't know if I can say no to that

ZeeToo posted:

Pros & Cons[/b]

Why did I always assume this comic was British?

• Locked thread