Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

hihifellow posted:

It's weird that other people here get to deal with nextgen. Ours is a single site cloud hosted app hosted by a reseller and my biggest complaint is support is useless. If it can't be solved by clearing IE's cache then it's something with our network. What that something is is anyone's guess, but it can't be their ducked up java ssl tunnel with the expired cert, no siree.

I think that's more on the reseller than nextgen though.

Don't get me started on the software they use to scan insurance cards.

Oh god, cloud hosted?! I can't even imagine. All our NextGen servers are here locally but we have hospitals all throughout the east coast and mid west that all communicate back here to Florida. Next to our Cerner install it's the biggest application we support here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Illuminatus
Mar 25, 2008

FNORD

Ursine Asylum posted:

Joking aside, that sounds like he was handling it as well as possible, although thinking to himself "never promoting this guy".

I support an area three hours away from the home office in Los Angeles. It’s a non-promotable position unless I move. I get to be a tool a couple of times a year, get left alone, and collect a decent paycheck. Review time was two weeks back, 8 minutes, boss comment: “you get done everything I send you and cause me the least trouble of your team.” I can’t imagine what trouble the rest of the team causes because, like the other comments noted, I’m sometimes a dick.

Dragyn
Jan 23, 2007

Please Sam, don't use the word 'acumen' again.

quote:

..Nextgen...Allscripts... Cerner...

My condolences to you all. If someone here wouldl ike to discuss McKesson Healthquest as well I can fill up my horrible EMR company bingo card.

As much as I hate to see everyone being borged into Epic. Their poo poo is nice.

ninja: I do not work for Epic, nor am I even Epic certified

ZeitGeits
Jun 20, 2006
Too much time....

Dragyn posted:

My condolences to you all. If someone here wouldl ike to discuss McKesson Healthquest as well I can fill up my horrible EMR company bingo card.

As much as I hate to see everyone being borged into Epic. Their poo poo is nice.

Does Epic offer some kind online demo of their EMR? I work in Germany supporting, deploying and developing for a specific EMR system and I'd love to see how Epic tackles some of the problems I'm confronted with daily.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
An interview came in...

... at 7:45 AM in NYC.

Did pretty well although when he wrapped up his end I told him I'd have to reschedule the next round since it was around 8:45 and I was due in to normal job at 8:30. I had a plausible lateness reason cooked up but I got into the job at around 10. Fortunately nobody seemed to care, and I handled the one ticket that came in as best I could remotely.

I just hope that the need to reschedule the next guy won't put my papers in the trash bin.

I really hope I get this job. It's at an MSP but I wouldn't be helpdesking it, and it seems to be a nice bridge up from sysadmin to engineering.

Plus THEY PAY OVERTIME :stare: "We don't believe in that whole 'we pay you salary, you're gonna work 80 hours a week' stuff. I mean, we have plenty of people who just want to work 40 hours and that's fine, but if you want to make extra money feel free to pick up some extra stuff."

where do i sign

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from

Dragyn posted:

Ha because McKesson is dropping HBOC we have to find a new billing backend and the frontrunner is Cerner since we can merge a few other systems in to it. I didn't attend the demos for it so I have no idea how it's going to go here, but history says it'll go badly!

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

MJP posted:

An interview came in...

... at 7:45 AM in NYC.

Did pretty well although when he wrapped up his end I told him I'd have to reschedule the next round since it was around 8:45 and I was due in to normal job at 8:30. I had a plausible lateness reason cooked up but I got into the job at around 10. Fortunately nobody seemed to care, and I handled the one ticket that came in as best I could remotely.

I just hope that the need to reschedule the next guy won't put my papers in the trash bin.

I really hope I get this job. It's at an MSP but I wouldn't be helpdesking it, and it seems to be a nice bridge up from sysadmin to engineering.

Plus THEY PAY OVERTIME :stare: "We don't believe in that whole 'we pay you salary, you're gonna work 80 hours a week' stuff. I mean, we have plenty of people who just want to work 40 hours and that's fine, but if you want to make extra money feel free to pick up some extra stuff."

where do i sign

You told them BEFORE the day of the interview about your conflict, right?

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
Well, I might be able to :yotj: soon. Probably jinxing myself with this. I completely and totally blanked when I forgot the job description, which made think I really hosed up until he asked about my troubleshooting steps and I told him I generally follow the OSI model, and he said he's never heard an interviewee mention the OSI model ever. The culture is much more my style than my current job and I think the pay is going to be quite a bit better. It's sad the school underpays so badly on this type of job. Then again, one of the dudes and I had a conversation about board games when they did the crew interview, then about marvel vs DC, then the whole movie discussion. It was pretty awesome and I felt really comfortable with the guys there.

At least I can hopefully get the gently caress away from the noisy "manly man" guy that works here.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Gothmog1065 posted:

At least I can hopefully get the gently caress away from the noisy "manly man" guy that works here.

Is it the "HEY WHATS UP CHAMP *Slaps your back like he's trying to dislodge a baseball from your throat*" kind of manly man or the "Unending stream of guttural mumbling, snorting and throat clearing" kind of manly man?

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

Che Delilas posted:

Is it the "HEY WHATS UP CHAMP *Slaps your back like he's trying to dislodge a baseball from your throat*" kind of manly man or the "Unending stream of guttural mumbling, snorting and throat clearing" kind of manly man?

Latter with farting, belching, and picking his nose. The worst kind.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
I am... familiar... with NextGen in a business capacity and I think that's all I can say about it except ahahahahahahahahahaha

(I am most definitely not employed by them, nor do I use their products)

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
An unsupervised week came in.

Supervisor is on vacation all week, so I'm flying solo. Yesterday, I get a call from the GM about the reporters' story writing program not working. I drive in on a Sunday afternoon and check everything out. I'm still not sure what the deal was, but, basically, one of the three servers that control the program stopped communicating with its backup server. It would require a restart. I had no clue what the procedure was.

Queue an excavation of supervisor's computer looking for documentation on a shutdown procedure. I finally found it waaaaaay down deep in some unrelated folder. Went through the steps and restarted the server and everything started communicating. Crisis averted, reporters are happy, GM is stoked that I, not only came in on a Sunday, but managed to have it fixed before the nine o'clock news.

I love it when supervisor's not here. I get to figure things out by diving in head first rather than begging for knowledge scraps every now and then while I either watch him fix it, or find out later that he fixed it at some point and never told me.

Last time he was away, I threw away a bunch of poo poo to spite him and make my life easier. This time, I'm going to delve into his computer and steal every piece of procedure and repair documentation I can find, write up a detailed IP list (no, we don't have one), set up every machine we own with a MAC locked static IP, and, if I'm really feeling like a career suicide tightrope walk, I'll spearhead an initiative to get all of sales moved off of XP.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Gilok posted:

:allears: We were supposed to move last Wednesday, and every successive day since then
Ah, I love moves where the desks aren't even there yet. Then you get to decide if it's worth setting up on the floor so it can at least get established on the network, but knowing that you'll have to unhook everything again when the desk shows up, or say gently caress it and just leave everything in a pile.

My best move story didn't involve me directly, but one time our spaceplanner was doing the final walkthrough on a newly renovated remote site a few days before we were supposed to move back in when she discovered the contractors hadn't installed any power outlets in the renovated area. Plenty of phone and data drops everywhere, but no power in any of the rooms. Because it was a remote site no one from HQ was there between start and finish, and apparently when our facilities people were setting up the cubicles no one thought to say anything.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

larchesdanrew posted:

set up every machine we own with a MAC locked static IP

Why would you want to do this? That just sounds like a headache to manage. I mean I could understand it for servers, printers, etc but for every machine?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Why would you want to do this? That just sounds like a headache to manage. I mean I could understand it for servers, printers, etc but for every machine?

Yeah. If you even consider needing to do that, you should just fix your DNS instead.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Volmarias posted:

You told them BEFORE the day of the interview about your conflict, right?

I told the recruiter that I could do a brief interview but would need to head in to work thereafter. I think it went longer than intended. The interviewer seemed understanding once he was in the wrap-up phase, which he initiated, and mentioned that he was surprised we spent this much time talking.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Inspector_666 posted:

Yeah. If you even consider needing to do that, you should just fix your DNS instead.

Windows DNS/DHCP is really easy to set up, once you get it going you can even do static IP for your permanent stuff and have dynamic addresses available for the rest of the scope.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Yeah seriously get DHCP setup and DNS all straightened out and you will be so much better off, plus gain the knowledge of setting it up/getting it working. So much poo poo breaks in Windows when DNS is off. I can't stress enough how much it pays to know DNS well.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

mattfl posted:

There are other Nextgen support people here? Hi! We have one of the larger environments that NextGen supports here at my company. Eastern and Central time zone database servers, we used to have just one environment but it became too large so we had to separate it, that was a fun project! 8 or so different non production environments, each timezone has a development, demo and a few random other test environments. We have a NextGen tech that basically works onsite here as a contractor for any issues we need resolved ASAP, but he is about useless. Our support internally is setup kinda uniquely, we have separate EHR and EPM teams, a general support team, and then I get escalated any issues those guys can't figure out, good times let me tell ya.

One of our larger clients uses Nextgen. It is cloud hosted and works pretty well from a reliability standpoint. The way it is designed a lot of simple tasks like new user creation and then assigning a default disipline or changing provider info takes way too much time.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Windows DNS/DHCP is really easy to set up, once you get it going you can even do static IP for your permanent stuff and have dynamic addresses available for the rest of the scope.

He's got to do a careful dance since his supervisor is still there. If he moves everything to DHCP his mentally ill supervisor is going to reverse everything and probably break it all in the process, then blame him/DHCP for it breaking.

Baby steps until he can get this guy on camera threatening to shoot the president or something.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

CEO who infected his machine with Cryptolocker that subsequently encrypted half their network shares is now complaining the restoration is taking too long and requested we do a blanket restore of the data.

Gee thats swell, guy, but we are already doing that because sitting there manually selecting 500,000 files isnt exactly efficient from a labor perspective, much like restoring around 4TB of data is not efficient from a time perspective.

Perhaps he should take this time to contemplate why trawling the internet for teenage rear end on his work laptop (or at all) is not the best idea.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
A potential paycheck came in...

A friend of a friend found the web site for my sole-proprietorship moonlighting gig and wants me to build a SQL Server 2014 Cluster on a pair of Windows Servers in a VMware/UCS environment and then support it on 1099 retainer rather than an hourly billing. While I've done a ton of moonlighting work, this will be one of the first times on over a decade that I'll be asked to stand something up at this scale and then maintain it. It will be for a call-logging application for a retail chain of approximately two thousand stores nationwide @ 800 calls daily each.

I typically charge $150-200 an hour for infrastructure and architecture work and figure on 40 hours worth of prep, research, testing and whatnot to stand up the environment. Then a monthly 5 hours for patching and other maintenance (with a built-in overhead for being paged in 1-2 times a year when something goes tits up).

So $8, 000 to stand up a database cluster and a monthly $1,000 to support it.

Does this sound reasonable, considering I'll have to pay self-employment taxes and whatnot at 40%? Too much? Too little? What am I failing to consider?

All hardware, software and licensing fees to be provided. I bill just for labor and maintenance.

Agrikk fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Jul 7, 2015

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

With 2000 stores, they can pay you a bit more than $4/store. Consider the value you're adding, not just the time it's taking to build this.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Volmarias posted:

With 2000 stores, they can pay you a bit more than $4/store. Consider the value you're adding, not just the time it's taking to build this.

You raise an interesting point.

My reflex response is to say that is a single database that is pulling data from an aggregator, so technically it is a single source. But I like the cut of your jib.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Volmarias posted:

You could get your trip to Europe AND a new boat.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Agrikk posted:

You raise an interesting point.

My reflex response is to say that is a single database that is pulling data from an aggregator, so technically it is a single source. But I like the cut of your jib.

Most support software (that is network monitoring and ticketing software) charge a yearly fee to cover licensing and support based on either active clients or number of nodes reporting in. Since you aren't developing the software solution, but just architecting the solution and providing implementation, you could probably adjust your feeds accordingly. (and I'm not saying "just" to trivialize what you're I doing, i'm using it to exclude the development and licensing of the package itself).

You shouldn't be charging the $1000/yr for straight labor effort. They're paying you for availability and peace of mind. Value your time.

Oswald Kesselpot
Jan 14, 2008

HONK HONK HONK

Agrikk posted:

A potential paycheck came in...

A friend of a friend found the web site for my sole-proprietorship moonlighting gig and wants me to build a SQL Server 2014 Cluster on a pair of Windows Servers in a VMware/UCS environment and then support it on 1099 retainer rather than an hourly billing. While I've done a ton of moonlighting work, this will be one of the first times on over a decade that I'll be asked to stand something up at this scale and then maintain it. It will be for a call-logging application for a retail chain of approximately two thousand stores nationwide @ 800 calls daily each.

I typically charge $150-200 an hour for infrastructure and architecture work and figure on 40 hours worth of prep, research, testing and whatnot to stand up the environment. Then a monthly 5 hours for patching and other maintenance (with a built-in overhead for being paged in 1-2 times a year when something goes tits up).

Does this sound reasonable, considering I'll have to pay self-employment taxes and whatnot at 40%? Too much? Too little? What am I failing to consider?

All hardware, software and licensing fees to be provided. I bill just for labor and maintenance.
If I were in charge of purchasing software to monitor, track, log and report on 1.6 million calls a day spread out over 2000 locations, and someone quoted me 8k to build it and 1k a year in support, I would not take that person serious.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Agrikk posted:

Call up some MSPs and get quotes on the systems you just described (while being vague enough not to give away the client). Use that as a baseline.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Sham I Am posted:

If I were in charge of purchasing software to monitor, track, log and report on 1.6 million calls a day spread out over 2000 locations, and someone quoted me 8k to build it and 1k a year in support, I would not take that person serious.

His post makes it look like he's being paid to stand up the servers and get SQL going. I'd assumed the actual software (that's probably expensive) was coming from somewhere else.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
The real question is why does a company with 2000+ stores not have an employee already capable of doing this.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Rhymenoserous posted:

The real question is why does a company with 2000+ stores not have an employee already capable of doing this.

Why would they?

My company's MSP offering does what boils down to infrastructure management for places that have thousands of retail locations. They obviously found it more cost effective to use managed services than build out a team to do the same thing.

Oswald Kesselpot
Jan 14, 2008

HONK HONK HONK

Nerdrock posted:

His post makes it look like he's being paid to stand up the servers and get SQL going. I'd assumed the actual software (that's probably expensive) was coming from somewhere else.
After looking at it again you are probably right.

My apologies Agrikk, i misread your original post. having said that, 8k/1k still seem pretty low to me.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

To be clear, it is 8k in initial setup plus $1,000 a month- making it $12,000 a year for support.

I figured $20,000 for the first year and $12,000 for subsequent years for a few hours a month plus the occasional all nighter during outages was appropriate.

I will take the advice of calling integrators to see what they'd charge. That's a great data point to have.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Agrikk posted:

To be clear, it is 8k in initial setup plus $1,000 a month- making it $12,000 a year for support.

I figured $20,000 for the first year and $12,000 for subsequent years for a few hours a month plus the occasional all nighter during outages was appropriate.

I will take the advice of calling integrators to see what they'd charge. That's a great data point to have.

Don't buy a boat, join a boat club. Trust me, I have experience in this vital decision.

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009
To be sure Agrikk, will you be doing application support? Will they be calling you saying "I can't find a recording from a call from last month"?

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Agrikk posted:

Make sure you define what the 1k monthly support price includes (eg: number of hours, time those hours are usable, etc), or you will end up being first in line for any issues because you are the cheapest to call.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Dealing with DHCP weirdness for my IP phones. Plugged a new phone in at an existing drop and it powered up but didn't pull an IP. Took my one old spare and plugged it in at the same drop and it worked normally. Brought the new phone to my office and plugged it into the cable my own phone uses. Once again powered up but didn't get an IP. Plugged my phone back in and it worked.

Took a look at DHCP and there's one scope for data and another for phones. There's plenty of leases left in the phone scope. Pulled up the log and saw that there were no entries at all for the new phone. Somehow it never registered a DHCP request. I saw the old spare and not only was it NACK denied but the IP it's using is outside the DHCP scope. My phone's request was also denied, but it's IP is within the scope and its lease shows up in the lease list.

Tried another brand new phone and it too failed to pick up an IP and no request was logged. The office manager unplugged his own phone and plugged it back in. It works, its IP is in the scope but it was denied... and its lease is not in the lease list.

So I have phones that don't register a DHCP request, phones that request but get denied, phones with IP outside the scope, phones within the scope but no lease showing... :psyduck:

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

No idea about how IP assignment to our IP phones works, but they definitely have their weirdnesses. A single drop shared between phone and computer, with the phone acting as switch/hub for itself and the computer. Nothing unusual in that.

Turning off or rebooting the computer will disconnect any call from the phone.
No, there isn't any softphone involved.

You suddenly become wary of asking users to reboot.

gently caress phones.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Dick Trauma posted:

Dealing with DHCP weirdness for my IP phones. Plugged a new phone in at an existing drop and it powered up but didn't pull an IP. Took my one old spare and plugged it in at the same drop and it worked normally. Brought the new phone to my office and plugged it into the cable my own phone uses. Once again powered up but didn't get an IP. Plugged my phone back in and it worked.

Took a look at DHCP and there's one scope for data and another for phones. There's plenty of leases left in the phone scope. Pulled up the log and saw that there were no entries at all for the new phone. Somehow it never registered a DHCP request. I saw the old spare and not only was it NACK denied but the IP it's using is outside the DHCP scope. My phone's request was also denied, but it's IP is within the scope and its lease shows up in the lease list.

Tried another brand new phone and it too failed to pick up an IP and no request was logged. The office manager unplugged his own phone and plugged it back in. It works, its IP is in the scope but it was denied... and its lease is not in the lease list.

So I have phones that don't register a DHCP request, phones that request but get denied, phones with IP outside the scope, phones within the scope but no lease showing... :psyduck:

Are you using the default vlan on those ports? If not, are you using ip helper configurations?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sloshmonger
Mar 21, 2013

Dick Trauma posted:

Look at your port security and VLAN configuration on the switch?

• Locked thread