Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

Thumbtacks posted:

hi more dumb questions

i was checking the wiki and noticed some weapons are rewarded for killing the online ur-dragon, but that you don't have to provide the killing blow.

...how exactly does that work? You hit him a bit and when he finally dies (weeks later) you just get the equipment?

You have to do over 100000 damage to get anything of value but yes. Killing it just gives you guaranteed Abyssinal armor set.

http://dragonsdogma.wikia.com/wiki/Ur-Dragon

Offline Gear:
Ascalon
Heaven's Key
Volant White

Online Gear(Damage):
Angel's Fist
Dwells-In-Light
Lambent Shield
Lustrous Greatshield
Talarian White
Totem Mace
Volant White
Ascalon
Heaven's Key

Online Gear(Kill):
Abyssinal Coat
Abyssinal Bracers
Abyssinal Greaves
Siegfried's Mask
Saint George Mask(Not Guaranteed)
Beowulf Mask(Not Guaranteed)
Apollo Mask (Not Guaranteed)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
what the gently caress they want me to fight death and two giant gorecyclops at once? gently caress that, i'm leaving

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Thumbtacks posted:

what the gently caress they want me to fight death and two giant gorecyclops at once? gently caress that, i'm leaving

Smart move. If you have some range, you can run around to the other side of the arena and into a hallway that eventually leads up to the balconies. Death might come up there, and any corrupted sorcs or sirens can still find you, but those goreclops and garms are hosed.

im cute fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jun 18, 2015

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Thumbtacks posted:

The most fun thing to do there is not attack the gores and bait Death over to them and get him do do his scythe attack. It kills whatever it hits. :haw:

Col. Roy Campbell
Dec 19, 2008

Thumbtacks posted:

They're super weak to ice so if you cast that twisting ice pillar spell they should go down quickly.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

The PS4 CBT1 is just as IP locked as the PS3 alpha was, although it seems I managed to get around the IP lock in a reasonable way this time (ie, without the use of an extremely slow proxy) unlike the PS3 alpha.

If things actually work when the CBT goes up I'll see about posting instructions (though it'll require that you got into CBT1 already)

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Cool. I saw earlier that they're adding "Element Archers" and Warriors into this beta.

I've started Dark Arisen again, but my RB button is mushed to powder so it's a little frustrating.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
Dragon's Dogma has a comic, it is quite bad:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Neo Helbeast posted:

it is quite bad:

Excellent. Where can I see more.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Excellent. Where can I see more.

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Dragon-s-Dogma-Progress

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

I keep reading page after page of that just for the canned pawn dialogue from the game.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I restarted (my wife fought a hydra in Dark Souls and it made me think how much more fun it was to fight the hydra in this game) and I'd forgotten how good this game looks. I mean the textures aren't that great and there's a lot of pop-in etc, but the lighting is absolutely gorgeous, the sky is beautifully blue and the grass is lush and green. I started as a mage because I don't want to cripple my eventual Magick Archer build by ignoring magic for the first 50 levels like I did last time, and I'm scared to progress the main quest because fighting the hydra in the camp with just this piddly fire spell sounds tough. I'm sure Dark Arisen came with those little "find a medallion" quests but I can't find any on the notice boards. Are they not available until you get to Gran Soren?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Oh man, they shout out the names of the class' special moves before they do it like it's fuckin Pokemon or something. I love it.

edit: I am glad it carries japanese manga tradition of having hyper-realistic blood and guts for no actual reason

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

2house2fly posted:

. I'm sure Dark Arisen came with those little "find a medallion" quests but I can't find any on the notice boards. Are they not available until you get to Gran Soren?
Yeah, that board is in the Pawn Guild.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

CJacobs posted:

Oh man, they shout out the names of the class' special moves before they do it like it's fuckin Pokemon or something. I love it.

edit: I am glad it carries japanese manga tradition of having hyper-realistic blood and guts for no actual reason

Apparently pawns have perma death or something because the hero gets real broken up when one of his pawns gets his face lasered off by a golem.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Ahaha they have game mechanics in their drat dialogue and announce each character's class and what it's good at in the game. "I would not be fit to be the arisen's main pawn if I cannot handle some goblins!" It's also way gorier compared to the game itself.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
Are there still no plans for DD Online to come to NA?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Nothing concrete. It's still in closed beta in Japan.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

So I think my trick to get around the IP block is working.

Can't stream right now, but I might stream it later today/tomorrow.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
Those graphics sure haven't gotten much better.

Please report back when you see some crazy netcode in action, i.e warping pawns, glitching audio, etc. I'm hoping for Resident Evil levels of hilarity.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Lunethex posted:

Those graphics sure haven't gotten much better.

Considering that it's going to run on PS3, I wouldn't hope for much.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Graphics don't mean poo poo. Give me a 60fps Dragon's Dogma and I'll play it with X360/PS3 graphics.

SlippyFists
Jul 16, 2007

To The Flowers of Time!

Some gameplay video of the tank class. Those normal orc mobs are pretty large, wonder how big the boss orcs will be?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNDhS_sv_xI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXWHZZGvcAo

Edit: found another video

SlippyFists fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Jul 7, 2015

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

SlippyFists posted:

Some gameplay video of the tank class. Those normal orc mobs are pretty large, wonder how big the boss orcs will be?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNDhS_sv_xI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXWHZZGvcAo

Edit: found another video

I hope the game is more interesting/quicker with dps classes, Mystic Knight looks boring as poo poo and I'm pretty sure that Cyclops fight must have taken 10+ minutes irl

It does look like there's at least the bare bones of Dragon's Dogma in there though, maybe this stuff could actually be fun with a full varied party

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Some official videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SydxbNuaLPE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oF3Oy0fWAK4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1EGMubHWJU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Dexo posted:

Graphics don't mean poo poo. Give me a 60fps Dragon's Dogma and I'll play it with X360/PS3 graphics.

I don't even think dragon's dogma looks that bad, it's just the awful performance that drags it down visually. I just hope it gets a western version but they haven't said anything about that, which is weird because I'm pretty sure dragon's dogma was originally made to target western markets if I'm not misremembering.

On performance, I'd actually pay for a PS4 release with dark arisen content and 60 FPS.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Gestalt Intellect posted:

On performance, I'd actually pay for a PS4 release with dark arisen content and 60 FPS.

Me too actually, I never bought Dark Arisen.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
I would pay full release price right now if they brought Dark Arisen to PC with decent framerate. Or hell, even a locked 30 FPS as long as it didn't go down into the low teens like it does on console.

Kreczor
Oct 30, 2011

I'd still rather play with medieval knights online then go outside and "hang out".
Have they said anything about porting Dragon's Dogma to PS4? I'd gladly buy it at full price a second time if they did...

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Kreczor posted:

Have they said anything about porting Dragon's Dogma to PS4? I'd gladly buy it at full price a second time if they did...

They're about to put out a f2p version on ps4 so

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

A Steampunk Gent posted:

I hope the game is more interesting/quicker with dps classes, Mystic Knight looks boring as poo poo and I'm pretty sure that Cyclops fight must have taken 10+ minutes irl

It does look like there's at least the bare bones of Dragon's Dogma in there though, maybe this stuff could actually be fun with a full varied party

I hope that's just a bad player because :sbahj: that is dire.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

People streaming this really need to stop using the shield class because it looks awful

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

The performance on the PS4 version seems pretty solid, though graphically it's pretty much the same (which makes sense, given PS3 version). I put in a bunch of hours last night playing it.

lets hang out posted:

People streaming this really need to stop using the shield class because it looks awful
Yeah I picked that at the start not knowing what it was, while shield bashing is neat the other magic stuff is annoying. Thankfully it's like Dragon's Dogma where you can freely switch jobs.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Bows have ideal ranges like in monster hunter, if you shoot something from outside of that range you do basically no damage. Also they have gears of war active reloads. Enemy aggro is crazy weird and if they get tired of fighting you because you stepped two feet outside of their zone they're totally invincible and won't even respond to attacks until they walk all the way back to their starting position.

e: also the archer class doesn't really seem to be about running up and stabbing things with daggers like striders were. It's all bows and kicks, like the elf in dragon's crown I guess.

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Jul 10, 2015

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

lets hang out posted:

Bows have ideal ranges like in monster hunter, if you shoot something from outside of that range you do basically no damage. Also they have gears of war active reloads. Enemy aggro is crazy weird and if they get tired of fighting you because you stepped two feet outside of their zone they're totally invincible and won't even respond to attacks until they walk all the way back to their starting position.

e: also the archer class doesn't really seem to be about running up and stabbing things with daggers like striders were. It's all bows and kicks, like the elf in dragon's crown I guess.

The aggro thing is a little lame, especially if you're a ranged class and can't or don't want to hold on to aggro. I guess it's a good reason to bring along Red job pawn, but sheesh.

On the other hand, I like the changes to the archer. Ranger really just felt like Strider 2.0 and all I really missed after trading up was Skull Splitter and Master Thief; most of the bread and butter dagger skills were available to every Yellow class.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

^ I've seen it happen a few times but it might just be some kind of odd bug. Like, monsters giving up on attacking people as they're being shot in the face. Really strange.

Big monster fights are very monster hunter. They'll go into rage mode and glow red, and if you climb on them during that phase you can drag down the stamina bar below their hp. When that bar empties they go into a brief staggered state, and if you hit them enough in that time they'll fall down hard and take a lot more damage. Most people streaming haven't figured this out which is why it's taking them a really long time to kill poo poo like the tutorial cyclops. While you're doing this the monsters will try and hit you or shake you off, a lot like riding a monster in mh4 except with more than one person at a time. Of course you can still climb on monsters when they aren't in rage mode and stab them as you would expect.

Also like yeah, the classes that aren't the big shield one look a lot more fun. Worst thing about it is its really dull basic combo. Well that and people not having figured out how to actually deal damage with it.

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Jul 10, 2015

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

I wonder if Online will still use the retarded defense system where if the enemy's defense surpasses your attack by even a single point then you'll do barely any damage.

CountingWizard
Jul 6, 2004
How can I play this new Dragon's Dogma? Is it ps3 only?

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

CountingWizard posted:

How can I play this new Dragon's Dogma? Is it ps3 only?

PS3, PS4, and PC. So far, Japan-only and publicly available 8/31. There are betas being run intermittently all summer.

I really, really wish they'd bring it to the West, but who can say?

im cute fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Jul 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

凶悪スフィンクス
"Atrocious Sphinx" (according to Google Translate)

The face/mouth on this thing is :stare:. Also breast physics.

• Locked thread