Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Though, as was said, it's barely a year in, so let's hope it can keep that pacing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Yeah currently it's blown through a competition/tournament arc in probably a 1/5th of the time any other standard shounen would take.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

And even that was twice as long as planned.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

tsob posted:

Maybe I just haven't been reading the truly terrible shonen stuff, but most shonen stories start off with good pacing from my experience, and blow through 3 or 4 arcs in the first 50 issues or less before they start becoming longer and more involved and eventually end up taking 100+ issues per arc and start to lose the run of their story around this point. Not to say that My Hero Academia isn't really good so far, but I'd hold off on commenting on how great it's pacing especially is until it's gotten 100/150 or so chapters under it's belt and seeing how it paces arcs at that point. You could say pretty much the same stuff you just did about My Hero Academia about Naruto and Bleach for their first 50 or 100 chapters after all, maybe more (memory is lovely and I ain't checking). And they turned to poo poo after a while.
Yeah.

I've never read Naruto, but the first five or so volumes of Bleach was Grade A stuff. It was only after they hit Soul Society that things began to fall apart.

My Hero Academia is about where Bleach was in terms of plot progression and publication. As fun as it's been so far, the real test starts here.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Dr_Amazing posted:

What is her quirk again? Something with her eyes?

Telescopic vision I think? It was something that wasn't useful for fighting.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

RatHat posted:

Telescopic vision I think? It was something that wasn't useful for fighting.

Mei's quirk is telescopic vision, yes, which works for both long-distance viewing and microscopic viewing, the latter of which is far more important in her work.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
So what you're saying is she needs supervision.

FH_Meta
Feb 20, 2011
But she has supervision.

Or do you think that there wouldn't be somebody in the U.A. labs/machine shops pretty much through out the school day and a bit after?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

It is a pun.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Waffleman_ posted:

It is a pun.
I thought it was funny.

FH_Meta
Feb 20, 2011
The pun or my badly done joke of a response?

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
MHA also does a better job of handling a large cast than its predecessors in shonen. So far, each character is interesting and gets time, but it doesn't suffer from the problem that a lot of shonen have--that you would rather follow the story of anyone but the main character.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Mr. Fowl posted:

MHA also does a better job of handling a large cast than its predecessors in shonen. So far, each character is interesting and gets time, but it doesn't suffer from the problem that a lot of shonen have--that you would rather follow the story of anyone but the main character.

It looks like the side characters are also going to be present for the rest of the story instead of the artist introducing new randoms with even more bizarre superpowers to make up for it. That's probably what's really going to set this apart.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

fadam posted:

Some guy at my local comic store recommended this to me because it was "japan's take on superheroes." I'm only nine issues in so far, but it definitely seems to be more like the few episodes of Naruto I watched when I was a kid than any western superhero comic I'm familiar with. Does it ever get less shounen-y?

Your guy was wrong, japan's take on superheroes is Tiger & Bunny. :colbert:

VVVVVVV: We have a winner.

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Jul 7, 2015

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Xoidanor posted:

Your guy was wrong, japan's take on superheroes is One-Punch Man. :colbert:

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
Just go watch Tiger & Bunny and also read One Punch Man, they're both incredible.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
MHA is great, but I'm still waiting on the part where they get to fight crime and take down bad guys who are trying to destroy the city!

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
My Hero Academia is inspired by American superhero comics, and One-Punch Man owes a lot more to old Japanese superhero cartoons and super sentai series.

MHA Is Like, Japanese American Superhero and OPM is Japanese Japanese Superhero

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
A new omake for My Hero Academia is up!

It's just that one page.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

It's just that one page.

Good opportunity to demonstrate the importance of commas in that omake.

I Love Annie May
Oct 10, 2012

It's just that one page.

Hagakure isn't even wearing a swimsuit, how indecent!

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

It's just that one page.

I like the explosion in the background.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

It's just that one page.

No Invisible Girl. 3/10.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

JosephWongKS posted:

No Invisible Girl. 3/10.

Or is there?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Mr. Fowl posted:

Or is there?

The explosion is Mineta's head after contemplating such a possibility.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

It looks like the side characters are also going to be present for the rest of the story instead of the artist introducing new randoms with even more bizarre superpowers to make up for it. That's probably what's really going to set this apart.

Again, I wouldn't be too hasty to judge this, because again, shonen titles in my experience tend to be good at building and using side-characters during the establishing rush of chapters. It's presumably at least partially because when your hero is weaker and still getting their bearings other characters need to fill in for them, and also because when each arc is only a few chapters long it's easier to not forget the importance or existence of side characters as well as find simple ways to include them in short, self-contained stories. When your last arc was 80 chapters and your next one is 120 chapters and you're trying to ensure it moves the story forward and gently caress deadlines are coming and fans say they love this girl and hate that guy and where's my smokes, it's probably easier to lose track of what you were planning.

Bleach is a great example here because there were a lot of short and quick stories in the first run of chapters and while the story wasn't setting up nearly as many characters as My Hero Academia, each of the ones who were there seemed to have some importance and to have a role they could fill. And then Soul Society happened and we basically got an entirely new supporting cast and even the few who remained started to fade and Ichigo bled out whatever character he had so that he could become a pawn of the struggle between Urahara and big bad of arc in question. Naruto was much the same. A big cast of awesome supporting characters, a fun main character who had to struggle and had some personality, a rush of short but connected stories that then shat the bed.

Shonen stories don't have a problem starting strong, they have a problem keeping that steam. I don't mean for a minute to suggest that My Hero Academia won't keep it, but I will say that there was no sign in the early chapters of Bleach or Naruto of just how bad they would become so it's entirely possible it could happen. Especially given that this is the author's first long running series and he'll probably start to feel some pressure from at the very least editors after a while given it's success. The mark of a great shonen writer isn't starting a great story, it's finishing one.

I do love Yaoyorozu's bored pose and Frogirls 1920's style bathing suit.

tsob fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jul 7, 2015

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
drat these girls are thick

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011
Haha oh my god I realized why all his girls are so thick. He's drawing boys but adding tits and a bit of rear end (though not always) on them. That's amazing.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
No he isn't?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Nah, he definitely draws them with female proportions from the get go. You can't just "draw boy, then add hips" cause that would look messed. He just draws them built like athletes and then inflates the boob size to appropriate anime levels.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Eej posted:

Nah, he definitely draws them with female proportions from the get go. You can't just "draw boy, then add hips" cause that would look messed. He just draws them built like athletes and then inflates the boob size to appropriate anime levels.

I think Midnight sort of suffers from that though. I'm not expecting thunder thighs or bubblebutt but she's got this man sized set of shoulders, some tits tacked on, and then narrow hips. I actually thought she might have been a drag queen for the longest time because of it.

It's not something that's bad or I take huge issues with, I legit enjoy how he draws ladies. Midoriya's mom (in her current form) is probably the best way he's drawn a lady in the entire series though, hands down.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

I think Midnight sort of suffers from that though. I'm not expecting thunder thighs or bubblebutt but she's got this man sized set of shoulders, some tits tacked on, and then narrow hips. I actually thought she might have been a drag queen for the longest time because of it.

It's not something that's bad or I take huge issues with, I legit enjoy how he draws ladies. Midoriya's mom (in her current form) is probably the best way he's drawn a lady in the entire series though, hands down.

I've seen woman built like midnight, All of the woman in MHA are pretty drat reasonable.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

This is a bad post.

Repster
Nov 29, 2014

Guess what?You work out? You get Swole. "Man sized shoulder" is just your perception of someone with thick shoulder muscles. Like, you know, a super-hero that's expected to grab a 100 kilo dude while getting him to safety, WHILE fighting a bunch of jerks.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Lol

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

:goonsay: I know you're like a superhero and strong and all, but you don't gotta look so manly about it, god!

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Horikoshi doesn't seem to go for exaggerated proportions on people who look mostly human. That's about it really.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
It's refreshing to see a popular series that has an author that payed attention in anatomy classes though.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Dunno, for all their faults most of the popular manga artists are fairly good at the anatomy thing (anime stylization/exaggeration aside)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

It's just that one page.

Kind of disappointed that Mina's costume isn't some hideous Eighties fashion travesty. C'mon, girl, you've got a style to maintain.