Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug
Remember when MS dropped this and all your DRM didn't work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I think it's just been zune and xbox music

reminds me though I saw this headline today about how ~13% of consumers consistently pick loser brands for everything
e:

quote:

Researchers looked at retail purchases made by about 130,000 consumers at a national convenience store chain, and found that 13% of them had buying habits that predicted failure of a new product. Failure in this case means surviving less than three years. About half or more of the products they bought were doomed to die before they had a chance to make it big.
This means if you’re the kind of person who liked the Zune, you probably also liked Frito Lay Lemonade, which apparently was a thing.
And “the more they buy, the less likely the product will succeed,” the researchers wrote.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

qirex posted:

reminds me though I saw this headline today about how ~13% of consumers consistently pick loser brands for everything
e:

lmao this is probably the core focus group Apple uses and just inverts all the results

turnways
Jun 22, 2004

qirex posted:

e:

Dunning Kruger still goin' strong with some folks, maybe?

Edit: like if you're at work and a co-worker starts desperately trying to evangelize some new product and why it's better than the leading one there's like a 9/10 chance they don't hold some secret insight and it is in fact terrible

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

i saw this happen with a microsoft evangelist that suddenly switched to android but not before buying even more limping products and still defending them :psyduck:

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer
so is the RTM version the one you want to do a clean install with?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

how many day 1 patches will win 10 rtm have, taking bets

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Last Chance posted:

how many day 1 patches will rtm have, taking bets
not enough

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

really feels like they're getting ready to spin off xbox

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

Phoenixan posted:

also i haven't touched the music app in windows for a really long time. does it still play ads between songs that you own?

i haven't touched windows for a really long time

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

you guys forgot about MSN Music which was separate from the Zune store

In April 2008, Microsoft announced that the DRM servers for MSN Music would be deactivated on 2008-08-31. After this date, it was no longer possible to reauthorize purchased songs when changing computers or operating systems.[2] They have suggested that customers back-up their music by burning it to CD.[3]

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Last Chance posted:

how many day 1 patches will win 10 rtm have, taking bets

it will shipwith SP1/10.1 a required download

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
rebranding the rebranded holodeck chairs

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
you know how you see a product on the clearance rack and it has like 12 price stickers overlayed all on top of eachother

Nagato
Apr 26, 2011

Why yes my username is the same as an autistic alien who looks like a 9 year old from an anime, why do ask?
:nyoron:

theultimo posted:

Remember when MS dropped this and all your DRM didn't work?

this brand was destined to become ironic almost as soon as it was introduced

wiki: "Microsoft's Zune works only with its own content service called Zune Marketplace, not PlaysForSure."

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

DaNzA posted:

so is the RTM version the one you want to do a clean install with?

it's the one that a lot of computers will start out with

it's quite likely that there will be many patches on "launch" day

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."
Groove is actually one of the more sensible names they could come up with, problem is Xbox music is awful for a myriad of reasons besides the name

also, lol that W10 is going rtm in a few days

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Phoenixan posted:

you know how you see a product on the clearance rack and it has like 12 price stickers overlayed all on top of eachother
w10 brings the GUI to match that experience

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET

Pinterest Mom posted:

apple hasn't publicly admitted they use azure, right?

they mention using azure and aws in their icloud security pdfs

pram
Jun 10, 2001
if you use little snitch you can see stuff connect to azure. its no big secret

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

Groove is actually one of the more sensible names they could come up with, problem is Xbox music is awful for a myriad of reasons besides the name

also, lol that W10 is going rtm in a few days

it's the power of music, available only in one place and mixed in with the screams of an alien race you're currently genociding

Ice_2_c_u
Sep 13, 2002

Phoenixan posted:

also i haven't touched the music app in windows for a really long time. does it still play ads between songs that you own?

is this real

did this really happen

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Ice_2_c_u posted:

is this real

did this really happen

microsoft

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug

Ice_2_c_u posted:

is this real

did this really happen

i'll give you one guess, and its not no.

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

pram posted:

if you use little snitch you can see stuff connect to azure. its no big secret

I imagine they built some abstracted blob storage poo poo front end to many clouds

this was Steven's dying dream

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

qirex posted:

e:

this checks out with people i know that still won't shut-up about the zune

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Dubstep Jesus posted:

this checks out with people i know that still won't shut-up about the zune

and windows

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug

eschaton posted:

and windows

Better then the redhat Linux zealots I work with. Seriously, moving from Active Directory to Linux WILL CAUSE ISSUES, it's not the saviour you think.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

yeah, i actually like the name. groove sounds like an actual brand and not an explanation, like it seems most of microsoft's names are. "Windows Store app built for Windows" "enhanced Mitigation Experience Toolkit" "Skype for Desktop"

so, i assume that in 2 years they will brand their mice "groove" and rebrand their music service as "redstone music"

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Groove with HD Audio™ only for Windows 10

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Intel already owns the HD Audio trademark.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
actually, the first step will be different tiers of service

groove for students
groove for home and small businesses
groove for enterprise
groove for keyboard manufacturers

after they have done that for a while, they will realize they have another toxic brand in their hands

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

if groove takes off it won't be renamed later, other things will get named to it

i bet they start with bing as its a ballmer era product and they'll think that 'groove search' is a natural to take down google as 'g' has consumer search mind share where bings 'b' meant the battle was unwinnable

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

pseudorandom name posted:

Intel already owns the HD Audio trademark.

Groove with Intel® HD Audio™ for Windows 10

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

shadow puppet of a posted:

if groove takes off it won't be renamed later, other things will get named to it

i bet they start with bing as its a ballmer era product and they'll think that 'groove search' is a natural to take down google as 'g' has consumer search mind share where bings 'b' meant the battle was unwinnable

oh man, "let me groove that for you", "i grooved it"

i think they have a winner

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

eschaton posted:

and windows

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Wheany posted:

using microsoft's new browser: Edging, or Edgeplay?

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Wheany posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Wheany posted:

Wish someone would groove you, with a carving knife!!!!!!

• Locked thread