Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Renaissance Nerd
Mar 29, 2010
Just picked up a Cleveland again after the wipe.

Current Status report: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Y-O9_HC9RQ

Also I'm doing weirdly well in the Wyoming. I guess it's because pubbie BB captains keep using HE against me, meanwhile I'm landing 6+ penetrating AP hits and evaporating large parts of their HP in a single volley.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Night10194 posted:

Once the Japanese destroyers get the longer range torpedoes after the basic 4.5km ones the Umikaze starts with, Operation Dickstab becomes better and better. Just filling the sea with fish and waiting for someone to stumble into them is the best thing in this game so far.

Any advice on using smoke?

Have you been spotted? Pop smoke. Not much more to do with it unless your team is outnumbered in your flank and is trying to get out of there.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

It's better to pop it just before you get spotted, so that you can remain unspotted. This is especially true if you see planes coming your way while you are lying in ambush behind an island; that way enemy ships don't even see the smoke cloud. These days new open beta players probably haven't understood yet that a smoke cloud means they are about to be torpedoed, but the day may yet come.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The impression I'm getting is Japanese destroyers are better at the main thing destroyers do (making GBS threads torpedoes on guys from the shadows) while US destroyers can do that merely okay, but are also really good at killing Japanese destroyers since they have fairly good main guns.

Sneaky Kettle
Jul 4, 2010
Today I took out my Murmansk, and after the battle was done, I think I should have bought a lottery ticket.

Game's pretty much just started. I've only had time to fire a few salvos at another dude off to my port. And then this Omaha out in front takes a crack at me. First volley clips the stern, sets me on fire. Whatever. Oh poo poo, here comes his second volley. I turn to angle the ship into the dispersion as much as I can.

:stonklol:

Hey. Wait a minute. Where did he...

:suicide:

Magazine'd for 24,060 damage from a single shot fired at an oblique angle that I guess got lag-predicted into the prow of my ship. The shell came in practically parallel to the hull. None of the shells on the port side landed on anything. Also, the ship broke up at the bow, so it was definitely that shot that killed me. See for yourself.

I am in awe. Also, that was a waste of a perfectly good +50% credits flag. This poo poo happens more often than I would like to admit, I'm afraid. I also managed to score a whopping 134 xp on my first win of the day in my Kuma, on account of attempting to be a ninja for funsies. There wasn't a single ship to shoot at on the whole west side of the map. Didn't fire a shot.

Oh well, it's fine. I'll just go murder things in my St. Louis. I know that ship loves me.

That replay, for your viewing pleasure.

I'm still tearing my hair out at battleship dispersion, but what can you do.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
Sudden magazine explosion deaths are the best deaths. :v:

I remembered how I go one-shot first time from full health. In the Kongo. By a torpedo. Took me almsot 10 seconds to fully realise it, then I just kept giggling uncontrollably for like a minute at the sheer absurdity.

Night10194 posted:

The impression I'm getting is Japanese destroyers are better at the main thing destroyers do (making GBS threads torpedoes on guys from the shadows) while US destroyers can do that merely okay, but are also really good at killing Japanese destroyers since they have fairly good main guns.

US destroyers can't really do the whole "from the shadows" thing at all before tier 8 - Before the upgraded torpedos on the Benson, they have longer detection range than the max range of their torps. What they can do is ambush people around islands and then put down large torpwalls that can't be evaded entirely when fired from that close - IIRC pretty much all US DDs except the Gearing and Benson have more torp tubes than their same-tier IJN counterparts. Out in the open, they basically have to go full Taffy 3 to actually torpedo something.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I do wonder if higher-speed torpedoes have a higher chance of reaching the magazine over lower-speed ones.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

What do I have to do to get on a team that doesn't try its hardest to lose against all odds?

Just finished a match where I was torpedoed to death by my own team followed by our two remaining BB's chasing down and dying individually to the single remaining DD even though we would have won on points in 45 seconds if they had just sat still.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Magni posted:

US destroyers can't really do the whole "from the shadows" thing at all before tier 8 - Before the upgraded torpedos on the Benson, they have longer detection range than the max range of their torps. What they can do is ambush people around islands and then put down large torpwalls that can't be evaded entirely when fired from that close - IIRC pretty much all US DDs except the Gearing and Benson have more torp tubes than their same-tier IJN counterparts. Out in the open, they basically have to go full Taffy 3 to actually torpedo something.
You're also capable of doing something other than holding your dick when you can't get torpedoes off or you're reloading due to said good guns.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i apologize because statistically speaking i probably torpedoed one of multiple goons that are complaining about friendly torpedoes.

because i'm terrible at destroyers yet i only play them exclusively.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Insert name here posted:

You're also capable of doing something other than holding your dick when you can't get torpedoes off or you're reloading due to said good guns.

I had a game where I got the last shot in on two Battleships and a Cruiser with the Umikaze's guns. Albeit I had already dropped them below 1000 HP with torpedo spreads and was just finishing them off, but that's irrelevant! Japanese DD guns are clearly slayers of titans.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
Arghhhhhhh
Ok, so HE shouldn't be allowed to pen. That is all. Fuckin turrets keep getting destroyed by HE spam and its getting ridiculous. No wonder nobody plays US DDs past tier 6, its a nightmare filled with destroyed turrets and short range torpedoes.

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?
Using the St Louis is like punching someone in the dick, which is even better when you are in a group with other St. Louis.

Never dickpunch alone.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

Hazdoc posted:

Arghhhhhhh
Ok, so HE shouldn't be allowed to pen. That is all. Fuckin turrets keep getting destroyed by HE spam and its getting ridiculous. No wonder nobody plays US DDs past tier 6, its a nightmare filled with destroyed turrets and short range torpedoes.
Now you feel why I always rage with Sims :v: Even with Cleveland getting turrets disabled by HE nonstop is just insane.

They should nerf HE more and it should be fine. Limit number of times you can set things on fire every x seconds and make HE penetration way low.

Also tested WoWS in boot camp. Game runs beautifully (lowest setting) with Intel Iris.

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe she's born with it.
Maybe it's
cosmoline.

A careful analysis of this image will result in something hilarious.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

TehKeen posted:

A careful analysis of this image will result in something hilarious.

Was there a Yubari on the enemy team? I know you're shooting the Kongo, but perhaps there was an unspotted Yubari right next to it that your shot scattered into, as I've had HE get citadels on Yubaris before. And I'm not quite sure where you'd have to hit a Kongo to get a Citadel with HE.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Oh man, I had a great but also frustrating match in the Wyoming. I managed to bloop three cruisers and a battleship with a citadel hit each, at which point our team was reduced to just a carrier and me at 1/3rd health, up against 2 BBs on their side. One of them, a Myogi that was still at almost full health, was coming right at me but had to pass between two islands to get into view. So I did the only proper thing, full steam ahead right towards where he'd pop out and rammed the fucker, taking both of us down :black101:

So at that point, it was down to our carrier against their BB, which was at about 10% health. Even better, they were more or less at opposite ends of the map and our carrier already had a fully loaded torpedo bomber squadron right next to the BB. Score, he'd just need to launch a tight spread and hit with only one single torp to win us the match. So I just sat back and watched... as our carrier flew them in circles within the BB's AA-range, seeing them slowly whittled down one by one. Only once they were down to two planes did he actually launch an attack with them, but from so far away with a wide spread that the BB could just drive right through a gap between them. Then the round timed out before he could launch another wing.

That could have been my 1.5x win :negative:

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
I'm finally starting to get the hang of the Tenryu, I still can't play a destroyer to save myself though. I got stuck on an island once in this game but I'm getting a grip on the speed of the thing, when to use the guns and when to close in for torps.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

So Warspite is now gone from the ingame store as well, have to buy it for real money if you still want it.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Ratzap posted:

I'm finally starting to get the hang of the Tenryu, I still can't play a destroyer to save myself though. I got stuck on an island once in this game but I'm getting a grip on the speed of the thing, when to use the guns and when to close in for torps.

The concept that really solidified DD play for me was the magic 6-7 Km window you have for not being detected (some ships you can get to within 5). If you're that close and know how to lead/anticipate what your target is going to do if you're detected you'll start really getting those torp runs in.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Despite the fact that it's a giant floating citadel, I really like the Tenryu. Maybe I've just had great luck so far, but it's really been one of my major breadwinners.

I'm still not entirely sold on battleships - on one hand, when they work, they work. On the other hand, it's incredibly easy to pick the wrong direction at the beginning of the map and go fight a single cruiser with five of your buddies, then spend the whole rest of the game trundling back to somewhere you might be relevant (and of course as you're on your way there a destroyer pops out from behind an island and dumps two waves of torpedoes into your magazine).

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Finally got the Langley late last night. Only had a few chances to use it before bed.

How do you manually drop torpedoes? Doing the automatic method feels wonky, sometimes they set up for a run and don't even drop them at all.

And while being the only carrier in the match sounds nice, my fighter squadron is completely useless aside from scouting and I'm left with a single squadron of torpedo bombers to slowly go back and forth. I see what people mean about how tedious it is.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

My problem with BBs breaks down to how absurdly inaccurate the guns are. You're already dropping a lot less DPS than the cruisers due to the long reloads, it doesn't help when 3/4 of the salvo you spent half a minute lining up decides to drop short, long, or decides to veer off to hit some random part for minimal damage.

Psychosis 01
Nov 6, 2011

Panfilo posted:

Finally got the Langley late last night. Only had a few chances to use it before bed.

How do you manually drop torpedoes? Doing the automatic method feels wonky, sometimes they set up for a run and don't even drop them at all.

And while being the only carrier in the match sounds nice, my fighter squadron is completely useless aside from scouting and I'm left with a single squadron of torpedo bombers to slowly go back and forth. I see what people mean about how tedious it is.

I had to figure it out last night - press Alt for manual drops.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

NTRabbit posted:

So Warspite is now gone from the ingame store as well, have to buy it for real money if you still want it.

So is wargaming actually gonna sync gold or is that no longer happening, because with the alternate currencies and all I'm not sold.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
They will eventually.. but until then expect them to take their sweet time because linking accounts is hard work.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Psychosis 01 posted:

I had to figure it out last night - press Alt for manual drops.

Thanks. Let's see if I can start doing some real damage.

Any point to manually dropping with dive bombers? I imagine they're a bit more reliable.

ohsosad
Feb 11, 2012

Why is every game i play unbalanced in the other guys favour?

Panfilo posted:

Thanks. Let's see if I can start doing some real damage.

Any point to manually dropping with dive bombers? I imagine they're a bit more reliable.

Smaller targeting area so more accurate bombs.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Devlan Mud posted:

So is wargaming actually gonna sync gold or is that no longer happening, because with the alternate currencies and all I'm not sold.

They said they're syncing free xp and gold when the game launches, so whenever that actually happens.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
I don't get what they were thinking making HE do this much damage. Don't loving need skills to spam those and you get fire + lots more damage on crit hit to AA/secondary + average damage is just too much.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
How does AA work vs planes? Is it like a damage over time effect against planes in range? Does concentrating on one squad do more damage to it as well?

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Concentrating on one squad focuses fire so does more damage to that squad.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Panfilo posted:

How does AA work vs planes? Is it like a damage over time effect against planes in range? Does concentrating on one squad do more damage to it as well?

Your AA guns will shoot at the first plane that enters their range, and its sorta damage over time. I'm sure they have reload times, but they're very short, like secondary armament. Its all right to think of them as DPS, as that's the only real number the game gives us to work with. Your AA will start shooting at the first plane that enters their firing range, and continue to until that plane leaves. Of course, this means that if the first plane to enter range is a fighter, it'll keep shooting the fighter, even if a better target comes into range. Make sure to control click on a torpedo bomber squad. Your guns will still fire at the other planes in range, so long as your priority target is NOT in range. You'll have to do a little micromanagement to get the best effect, so be sure to lock your guns if you don't want them swinging around while you pick targets (with Control+X).

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Panfilo posted:

As far as anyone can tell it is either DoT or RnG and no. You just focus all your damage on that squad.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

ranbo das posted:

They said they're syncing free xp and gold when the game launches, so whenever that actually happens.

I was under the impression that it was going to be an open beta thing, instead of "arbitrary date," so that makes sense, thanks.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Warbadger posted:

My problem with BBs breaks down to how absurdly inaccurate the guns are. You're already dropping a lot less DPS than the cruisers due to the long reloads, it doesn't help when 3/4 of the salvo you spent half a minute lining up decides to drop short, long, or decides to veer off to hit some random part for minimal damage.

Yeah, this is why I don't put too much stock into people who claim they can accurately hit citadels with battleships at long range.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

ArchangeI posted:

Yeah, this is why I don't put too much stock into people who claim they can accurately hit citadels with battleships at long range.

It's not THAT bad. I'd say 50% of shots land roughly on target.

srb
Jul 24, 2007

Aesis posted:

I don't get what they were thinking making HE do this much damage. Don't loving need skills to spam those and you get fire + lots more damage on crit hit to AA/secondary + average damage is just too much.

The DPM of the St Louis spamming HE is incredible, unless low tier battleships get citadel pens on you (easier said than done at some ranges with the dispersion of the guns) you can solo them. Add in two other St Louis from a division and it's downright scary.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

ChickenWing posted:

It's not THAT bad. I'd say 50% of shots land roughly on target.

It's about 16% with the Myogi, and that's provided you get the lead right with those slow-rear end shells it fires. It's pretty perverse that all of the Myogi tree upgrades are built around extending the max range up to 20km when the guns are ineffective beyond 13km.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD
Check the artillery tab of your guns, and you'll see the maximum dispersion it can have. Also note that this dispersion happens at max range, it scatters less the closer you are to the target, though then you have to factor in the different trajectories your shells will be taking to the target (as they are being fired from guns at different points on the ship).