Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde
Re: paint stripping. I bought a lot of methylated spirits today - it's so much more effective than Dettol, and your house won't smell like a 1990s hospital, so there's that going from it. I also picked up a bunch of these:

http://groceries.asda.com/asda-webstore/landing/home.shtml?&cmpid=ppc-_-ghs-_-brand-dsk-_-google-_-%2Basda%20%2Bfood#/product/910001135268

60p for 2 containers, each of which can fit an obliterator on a large base, and comes with a lid. Pretty reasonable.

e: I guess if you buy too much methylated spirits at once, you might end up on a terrorist watchlist. But I'm Chaos, so :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 19 days!

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Basically though, if I had to name two products that are straight up amazing that more miniatures painters need to be using it's Montana gold and Golden High Flow Transparent Acrylics (basically some of the best washes you can buy and they are cheaaaaaap).

More details, please! Right now I mainly rely on the Army Painter inks for washes, but I'm always interested in potentially adding new weapons to my painting arsenal. :)

E: I see that Amazon has a set of the High Flow transparent acrylics for $30, so I might just grab that when I get my next paycheck. But yeah, any tips on using 'em would be appreciated greatly. :tipshat:

Sydney Bottocks fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jul 6, 2015

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

ANAmal.net posted:

You talking about the retro metal ones? I've only tried the stuff on plastic, but it's been fine so far. I'll have to keep that in mind though, that sucks.

Yeah, but even on plastics it rubs off a little bit. It's weird because the coverage of the paint is pretty excellent but it doesn't really like to stick. I've been priming with Krylon white and so far so good, but we'll see.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Drake_263 posted:

I have a question for you guys - how do you know something is authentic Forge World stuff?

Answer:

No self-respecting Chinese recaster would waste this much resin.

I planning a conversion where I replace the treads with aftermarket spiky chaos ones.

I'm filled with dread

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
I used to use Reaper's brush-on primer, and it worked pretty well. Now I'm using Vallejo surface primer, which also works pretty well, but I can get in decent-sized bottles.

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde

Milotic posted:

Re: paint stripping. I bought a lot of methylated spirits today - it's so much more effective than Dettol, and your house won't smell like a 1990s hospital, so there's that going from it. I also picked up a bunch of these:

Bugger, you can't leave finecast in it for more than a couple of hours. My Obliterators and Havocs are suffering from wet noodle weapons and bits are breaking off them. The one plastic model havoc is fine. :(

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Milotic posted:

Bugger, you can't leave finecast in it for more than a couple of hours. My Obliterators and Havocs are suffering from wet noodle weapons and bits are breaking off them. The one plastic model havoc is fine. :(

Lesson for the day: ALWAYS test a spare bit of a model in whatever new stripper you want to use, for at least as long as you intend to use it, before you try with anything you care about.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Milotic posted:

Yeah I don't have any FW resin to test...so...as always YMMV, sorry. The spirit may evaporate though, leave the models to dry out for a day or two.

The plastic models I left in for 24 hrs are fine and I even spot-removed some paint with a q-tip/cotton bud and that was fine. The model I left in clean spirit was OK too but the paint required a little more scrubbing than the models left in the meth spirit.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Progress on my second Crimson Hunter - it's about 80% done on the bottom with lot's of final coats and touch ups to do yet. It also makes me wonder why the gently caress I didn't just paint the bottom of the first one completely white or black.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Man, I just don't understand how you manage blends like that without an airbrush, stellar as always.

Rahotep75
May 21, 2012

I'm just a wild and crazy kind of god.
Work in progress. Thoughts on the wood?

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
Looks good. I'd probably go over a few bits with some lighter highlights to really make it pop but in terms of serviceable work texture I'd say you nailed (pun?) it.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Rahotep75 posted:

It gives me a woodie. Seriously though, it looks great! If you want a kind of hodge podge look you can use just a straight, light wash on some of the wood sections; browns and greens would look good.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

Rahotep75 posted:

You have nice wood. I like it.

I just started work on stripping a friends Cygnar Stormwall. It's such a huge model he got kinda demotivated partway though the basecoat. It had some spotchy primer and maybe 1/4 of a base coat, so I suggested we strip it before doing an airbrushed primer and basecoat. Get like 90% of the boring poo poo out of the way in an afternoon.

It's submerged in maybe a 3:1 Water/Simple Green mix. (since that's all I had) This might take a few days...

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Rahotep75 posted:

Thoughts on the wood?

Would.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
How did you do it?

Tell me more about your wood.

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

Rahotep75 posted:

Looks a whole lot like wood.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

BULBASAUR posted:

I planning a conversion where I replace the treads with aftermarket spiky chaos ones.

I'm filled with dread

You're a braver man than I!

Chewbaccanator
Apr 7, 2010

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Also Gesso. I know a lot of people hate it, but I honestly think it' amazing, especially if you work with metal surfaces. Recently I've been reading a lot about prep work for minis and discovered a lot of traditional modellers paint their minis with thinned down greenstuff, milliput or plastic surfacer to smooth them out and Gesso does a similar job.

Why do people hate Gesso? It seems like a legitimate alternative if you can't spray paint your primer.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Chewbaccanator posted:

Why do people hate Gesso? It seems like a legitimate alternative if you can't spray paint your primer.

Its a terrible idea for miniatures.

And most traditional modellers don't paint their models with thinned down putty. They just sand stuff down. Which to be fair, you don't actually have to do anymore since casting is so much better, but they've been doing it that way for years so they'll never change.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Boon posted:

Progress on my second Crimson Hunter - it's about 80% done on the bottom with lot's of final coats and touch ups to do yet. It also makes me wonder why the gently caress I didn't just paint the bottom of the first one completely white or black.

ijyt posted:

Man, I just don't understand how you manage blends like that without an airbrush, stellar as always.

whoa whoa whoa...that's WITHOUT an airbrush?

amazing

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
Nearing completion on Demogorgon.

Highlighted the tentacles with some pink, while using a blue glaze on the opposite side. Touched up the green a bit. Went at the belt and loincloth with various leather colors and some agrax earthshade.

My plan for the base is a nice swamp look. Gonna use some green stuff to sculpt a bit of a "rim" around the base, with some rock-like projections for Demogorgon to stand on, then add in some sand, vegetation, and finish off with some realistic water. I'll do some final touch-ups to him before final placement, but the painting's more-or-less done at this point.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Chewbaccanator posted:

Gesso is ok. I used it in the past and it can work, but it takes detail away, is easy to remove with force (bad for weathering), and for large models like tanks good luck getting a smooth coat.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

BULBASAUR posted:

Gesso is ok. I used it in the past and it can work, but it takes detail away, is easy to remove with force (bad for weathering), and for large models like tanks good luck getting a smooth coat.

Counterpoint: People love it for terrain, because you can just slather it over acres of foam and cardboard (and can't use spray primer if your piece has a foam component).

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Anyone have a good guide to color theory? Want to do a good job picking a scheme for this new legion army for warmachine. Want to tie the whole thing together basing wise etc

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

w00tmonger posted:

Anyone have a good guide to color theory? Want to do a good job picking a scheme for this new legion army for warmachine. Want to tie the whole thing together basing wise etc

Hot pink, neon green, and just a touch of safety orange. No blending or shading, just flat colors. That's all the color theory you need.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Bad Munki posted:

Hot pink, neon green, and just a touch of safety orange. No blending or shading, just flat colors. That's all the color theory you need.

I like where your heads at, but I'll hold off on that till I paint up some judge dread

e: VVVVV thanks, didnt see it there

w00tmonger fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Jul 7, 2015

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Cross-Posting this from the main 40k Thread, having forgotten there was a dedicated miniatures thread.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So people, I need myself a Mephiston. But like many I hate the existing model.

http://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB...n-Lord-of-Death

Also, personal quirk. I hate models without helmets. I know, I know, it just irrationally annoys me. You're wandering around on a battlefield and you have a drat helmet, put it on! Also Space Marine.

Now I don't really want to source half a dozen different model pieces or have to go crazy with green stuff as some do.

Keep it simple.

So i'm thinking the Emperors Champion.

http://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB...eror-s-Champion

With some modest cutting and remodeling. Add a Plasma Pistol, some of the vast amount of Blood Angel Bitz I already have etc.

Thoughts?

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

w00tmonger posted:

There's a bit in the OP:

quote:

Picking a Color Scheme
This is in the ‘advanced’ section because for many wargamers the colors of your chosen army or faction are picked for you. If you’re going to start up a whole new army just because you like a certain color scheme or studio look (think Ultramarines, Kador, World Eaters, etc.), there’s not much to change really. However, if you’re starting up a whole new force that allows a wide-open selection of color choices, it’s very easy to get overwhelmed by the vast amount of choice you have.

Knowing a little about color theory will help you choose colors that look 'right' and will help your army 'pop' on the gaming table. There's a reason why some people always look fashionable, certain cars just look kick-rear end, some magazine covers just look like they're jumping off the newstand, etc. If you want to know more about color theory, just search for 'color theory' online or read this Wiki article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_theory

If you know roughly what color you want (red, purple, yellow, etc.) and want to know what other colors to pick, check out this site for some great ideas: http://colorpalettes.net You can pick 'warm' (orange, red), 'cool' (blue) and other color sets and just pick the colors from your favorite paint maker that match what you see on the screen.

Here are some links to online color wheels and color palette generators:
A nice one
Adobe's online one

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

Man, I liked painting this got a lot. Everytime I paint in this cartoony style I don't know why I don't do it more often. The Rackham studio painters had this very weird low key, low contrast nmm that I found pretty hard to replicate. I really like the cartoony feel of the mellow nmm though.

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

I stay up late :coffee:

Grimey Drawer
What happened to Rackham? I've gathered they flared out quickly, but is there more to it than that?

JackMann posted:

Nearing completion on Demogorgon.

How stable is he? I've got Khanjira and I think he might need some pins in him to keep him steady.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

I've been doing my zenithal black to grey to white, but would it work just doing grey to white? I have some flying models and am worried that they're going to look a bit crap from the bottom given how vibrant I want to paint them

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

Grimey Drawer

w00tmonger posted:

I've been doing my zenithal black to grey to white, but would it work just doing grey to white? I have some flying models and am worried that they're going to look a bit crap from the bottom given how vibrant I want to paint them

I did that for priming my Oath this month and it seems to be working out fine so far. The black would have played around with the other colours too much.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib

Weirdo posted:

How stable is he? I've got Khanjira and I think he might need some pins in him to keep him steady.

He has little pegs in his feet. I'm hoping once I set him in the greenstuff, he'll be pretty stable.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Not usually a fan of stuff like this, but that's a real nice paint job

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

Iron Crowned posted:

I just use Krylon myself, but I also check the can to see what it bonds to. I did not know Meijer had a generic spraypaint, then again I'm mostly ever there to buy groceries, and rarely venture to other parts of the store.

It's like a Super Target, it's got all the stuff a Wal-Mart would have but most of the stuff is higher quality and they don't horrifically abuse their employees. Go hog wild. Krylon is what hosed up one of my Vyper models years ago, but that was just some random flaw in the plastic composition or that particular batch of spraypaint (or both). Whatever the reason, the model got a pitted texture, I ended up spraying over a dozen layers on it, sanded it and made it into a Nuadhu Fireheart ride.

One Target was in a really lousy area but I saw a manager having a pep talk with a group of employees and they looked ... happy to be at work. Preferable to employees looking broken and exhausted.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Man, I remember people laughing at GW's display paintjobs not being amazing, but I think there's a good idea to that. I can't stop comparing my lovely Infinity to the amazing box art. I trtied to push through with the first mini but it's gone so wrong that I'm just going to strip and build again. It's so disheartening.

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

If you're going to compare, find internet paint jobs from someone other than Angel :p

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Signal posted:

If you're going to compare, find internet paint jobs from someone other than Angel :p

Speaking of, does anyone here recommend his painting book? I'm considering picking it up at Gencon but just wanted to hear from anyone who has it now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Weirdo posted:

Speaking of, does anyone here recommend his painting book? I'm considering picking it up at Gencon but just wanted to hear from anyone who has it now.

I thought the same thing but I suspect it'll be 90% "airbrush this, bam it's fantastic".