Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

HMS Boromir posted:

Personally I'd like to extend a "please stop" to anyone who has spoiler-free discussions of games on their podcasts. It's awful to listen to, just introduce the game and say whatever you can say without spoilers and then just edit in "spoilers end at 33:20". If you're trying not to spoil eachother then I guess that's tougher but as a selfish consumer that doesn't concern me as much.

Holy poo poo this. The latest bombcast was particularly bad with dancing around Arkham Knight stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

Holy poo poo this. The latest bombcast was particularly bad with dancing around Arkham Knight stuff.

What also happens in a lot of different podcasts is they say they'll talk about spoilers next episode or further down the line and then never do, or in which case its old news.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Captain Invictus posted:

Jason was being reeaaally militant about that. King of Spoilers Brad Shoemaker clearly wanted to spoil the poo poo out of it but was on a very short leash.

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

Snail on my head ready to go.
Austin Walker is my new favorite Giant Bomb personality. Also he actually seems plugged into the indie scene.

Related, Her Story is a good game, play it with someone else for optimal results.

VocalizePlayerDeath
Jan 29, 2009

Ulta posted:

Austin Walker is my new favorite Giant Bomb personality.
Agreed.

RedRupee
Feb 25, 2012

Speaking of Austin Walker, he tweeted about an old appearance of his on a podcast called Justice Points (probably the worst time to bring it up since their site won't be back up until early next week). It's a pretty cool podcast hosted by two ex-WoW nerds with a focus on feminism, indie games, and all that nice sjw stuff. The first ~50 episodes of the backlog are exclusively World of Warcraft-themed, since that's how they started.

VocalizePlayerDeath
Jan 29, 2009

That podcast made me appreciate the hard work other podcasts do to control laughter volume.

RetroHelix
Oct 24, 2004

No home should be without one.
I had last listened to an episode of The Indoor Kids with Kumail Nanjiani and Emily Gordon about two years ago. They'd frequently record episodes from their couch which sounded like they were in a cave, so I didn't listen to a great deal. I recently tried a few recent episodes, and most of them still sounded like garbage. How do you gently caress up sound for so long when you're on a pretty large podcast network?

RetroHelix fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jul 6, 2015

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
A post over in The Dark Id's Drakengard 3 thread in the LP forum introduced me to the Hyperbolic Game Chamber podcast ( https://hyperbolicgamechamber.wordpress.com/ ), and I really like what I've heard of it. It's focused entirely on the stories in video games, and how ridiculous they get. The first episode is about Drakengard, and it's a great place to start, as is the episode where the hosts take a giant poo poo on Dante's Inferno, or the one where Jared gets really enthusiastic about the story mode in Mortal Kombat 9.

They seem pretty new to podcasting in general, and there are some audio issues, but it's also one of the only shows where the hosts are actually in the same room.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Twitch posted:

They seem pretty new to podcasting in general, and there are some audio issues, but it's also one of the only shows where the hosts are actually in the same room.
What, like Idle Thumbs, both Bombcasts, Video Games Hot Dog, Vidjagame Apocalypse, the Duckfeed podcasts....

Freaksaus
Jun 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer

TetsuoTW posted:

What, like ... Video Games Hot Dog, ..

Don't they regularly use Skype when one of the group is in a remote location? Although I'm not sure how often it's been the case lately.

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

Freaksaus posted:

Don't they regularly use Skype when one of the group is in a remote location? Although I'm not sure how often it's been the case lately.

They also give a gently caress about editing to the point that it can be hard to tell they're not all in the same room (except when Zack talks over Riff like some kind of rear end in a top hat).

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.
Everything at Duckfeed is done over Skype.

take three tablets
Nov 21, 2005

Hell Gem

Twitch posted:

A post over in The Dark Id's Drakengard 3 thread in the LP forum introduced me to the Hyperbolic Game Chamber podcast ( https://hyperbolicgamechamber.wordpress.com/ ), and I really like what I've heard of it. It's focused entirely on the stories in video games, and how ridiculous they get. The first episode is about Drakengard, and it's a great place to start, as is the episode where the hosts take a giant poo poo on Dante's Inferno, or the one where Jared gets really enthusiastic about the story mode in Mortal Kombat 9.

Unless I'm just missing something, it would be pretty cool if they set up an actual podcast feed.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

habanero walrus posted:

Unless I'm just missing something, it would be pretty cool if they set up an actual podcast feed.

https://hyperbolicgamechamber.wordpress.com/feed/ works, although it's missing the first 8 episodes. They talk about their struggles trying to figure out how rss works in one of the episodes.

Twitch fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Jul 7, 2015

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Pasco posted:

They also give a gently caress about editing to the point that it can be hard to tell they're not all in the same room (except when Zack talks over Riff like some kind of rear end in a top hat).
Yeah I just remembered that, so I guess I look increasingly like an rear end in a top hat given:

Song For The Deaf posted:

Everything at Duckfeed is done over Skype.
And as for you, stop being so drat good at that, you're making me make myself look like an rear end in a top hat.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

TetsuoTW posted:

And as for you, stop being so drat good at that, you're making me make myself look like an rear end in a top hat.

I don't want to get credit for doing things the hard way.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

I don't want to get credit for doing things the hard way.

The video of you editing The Level on the backer blog was pretty eye opening. I would imagine it would take me about an hour to do what you did in about 15 minutes.

zapjackson
May 21, 2012

Freaksaus posted:

Yeah, we almost always have at least one remote person.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Buffo is a god amongst men

Probottt
Dec 15, 2013
Just started listening to Watch Out For Fireballs based on thread recommendation and I have to say it's easily my new favorite podcast. The discussion about the games are always interesting and relevant, and the little skits at the beginning usually get a laugh or two out of me. It's helped fill that niche of podcasts I listen to while playing games ever since Retronauts started their latest season and starting giving preferential treatment to Patreon backers and releasing weird micro episodes.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Probottt posted:

Just started listening to Watch Out For Fireballs based on thread recommendation and I have to say it's easily my new favorite podcast. The discussion about the games are always interesting and relevant, and the little skits at the beginning usually get a laugh or two out of me. It's helped fill that niche of podcasts I listen to while playing games ever since Retronauts started their latest season and starting giving preferential treatment to Patreon backers and releasing weird micro episodes.

You're upset that people get a podcast a week early by donating one dollar a month?

Probottt
Dec 15, 2013

bobservo posted:

You're upset that people get a podcast a week early by donating one dollar a month?

I didn't mean to sound like a dick when I made that statement, and I apologize if I was at all offensive in that context. As someone who has kind of a tight budget though, I felt kind of alienated in a way. It's possible that I was just put off by the whole Patreon thing in the first place though, and didn't really give the newest season a fair shot.

Probottt fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Jul 8, 2015

forpush
Jan 6, 2006

We don't like it when the city light start fading
When the city lights fading then we can't get down
I love the micro episodes, myself.

On the subject of Retronauts, can Jeremy start his own Prog-rock podcast, I would listen to that.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

fruitpunch posted:

On the subject of Retronauts, can Jeremy start his own Prog-rock podcast, I would listen to that.

Yes

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Just listened to the later Abject Suffering and you guys are surprisingly kind to King's Quest 5...well, the PC version anyway.

You're right that it's considered one of the worst in the series, though. If you haven't played them a lot, I can understand why you might not realize it.

It certainly has its pluses...it was the first King's Quest to be in VGA graphics with the point and click interface, the first one with voice acting...that's about all the pluses. And the VA is a soft plus, since most of it is terrible.

It's the perfect example of the Sierra-style BS of losing the game several hours in because of a small mistake made at the start you had no way of knowing about.

When Kole(?) talked about dying while tied up in the basement, that's because on a nearby screen (the bakery, I think) there was a cat chasing a mouse. Just looks like some nice set dressing, right? Nope...you had to throw a boot at the cat to save the mouse so the mouse would save you from the basement. And it has to be the boot (which you get from wandering the desert). I seem to remember that you can throw the stick at the cat, but then you don't have the stick to throw for the dog attacking the ants so they won't find the needle in the haystack for you. Because in that whole drat forest there's only one single stick that you can use.

You can get stuck after defeating the witch if you don't have the honey from saving the bees from the bear, that you're supposed to instinctively know to dump on the ground with some jewels to get a greedy gnome to come out, only to get stuck in the honey, so that you can capture him and have him show you the way out (one of the rocks is actually a weird rock creature that he gets to move out of the way.)

I think the worst offender is related to the cream pie Gary mentioned. It's very easy to leave the first part of the game without it, and then you keep dying to a yeti a couple hours later because the only way to kill the yeti is throwing a cream pie at it. It's also easy to get it, then accidentally eat it at some point because Graham says he's hungry (you need to eat the leg of lamb you hopefully remembered to get from the kitchen of the inn you were tied up in after the mouse freed you.)

And that Space Quest you mentioned that satirizes the Space Quest series by travelling through time in fictional sequels is Space Quest 4. Space Quest 5 is also very good.

Or you could play some of the best Sierra adventure games and do Quest for Glory...especially 4. John Rhys-Davis does all the narration.

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Jul 8, 2015

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
That sounds completely wretched. I think it was mentioned on the Designer Notes with Daniel Benmergui talking about how adventure games were designed with the end state first, and then filling in the requirements afterwards and how it's really arcane.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I remember hoarding my QfG save on floppy disks for years. I don't remember much about the games, though.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Probottt posted:

I didn't mean to sound like a dick when I made that statement, and I apologize if I was at all offensive in that context. As someone who has kind of a tight budget though, I felt kind of alienated in a way. It's possible that I was just put off by the whole Patreon thing in the first place though, and didn't really give the newest season a fair shot.

I don't get it; are you upset that people want to make money from a thing that they do?

And I understand if your budget is tight, but we're literally asking for 25 cents a WEEK if you want to hear episodes early. Not sure how that could possibly break the bank.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

After not having played the game and reading that post, I'm now under the impression that King's Quest 5 has an animal attacking another animal on every screen and every puzzle involves saving the attackee by throwing an item.

Which sounds rad.

Tonde Mo Nai
Jul 9, 2005
my symbolism was stripped away long ago

Probottt posted:

At the risk of piling on, I can't resist the irony of pointing out that WOFF/Duckfeed also has a Patreon and it includes early access to episodes/other perks.

Dr. Spitesworth
Dec 31, 2007
Yoink.

fruitpunch posted:

Sadly, that would be illegal in most states.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

The new Watch Out for Fireballs! is here. It's about L.A. Noire, and we dig it.

http://duckfeed.tv/woff/104

Up next is Spider-Man 2, then Nine Hours Nine Persons Nine Doors, and then Zone of the Enders. Don't worry, our Summer JRPG announcement is right around the corner.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I just got to the part of the episode where Gary said that the final interrogation should be a dude wearing sunglasses; so good.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Zone of the Enders.

Do you mean the Tanker part of Metal Gear Solid 2? I thought that was the only reason anyone bought/rented ZoE.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Lone Goat posted:

Do you mean the Tanker part of Metal Gear Solid 2? I thought that was the only reason anyone bought/rented ZoE.

It's a legitimately good action mech franchise that plays more like robot Bayonetta that's always flying.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I hope that if you guys like Zone of the Enders, you play the second one next year. ZoE is very good, but 2nd Runner is probably the best action game on PS2 that wasn't made by Hideki Kamiya or Shinji Mikami.

You can probably skip the GBA strategy RPG. It's not Abject Suffering bad, but it's really easy, and anime as hell in that bland overly-wordy way.

Twitch fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jul 11, 2015

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Was the PS3 HD rerelease any good?

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

Twitch posted:

I hope that if you guys like Zone of the Enders, you play the second one next year. ZoE is very good, but 2nd Runner is probably the best action game on PS2 that wasn't made by Hideki Kamiya or Shinji Mikami.

You can probably skip the GBA strategy RPG. It's not Abject Suffering bad, but it's really easy, and anime as hell in that bland overly-wordy way.

Fist of Mars is really good and you should play it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

CottonWolf posted:

Was the PS3 HD rerelease any good?

Eventually. ZOE1 was passable enough, but ZOE2 was a loving disaster. Bad enough that Konami, in a strange fit of goodwill, hired Hexadrive (who did the excellent Okami HD port) to redo Hi-Voltage's shitshow from scratch and put it out as a patch. The 360 version didn't get the same treatment, though.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-how-konami-remade-zoe-hd-remaster

e: Also Fist of Mars rules and ZOE: I, Dolores was goofy good fun.

kirbysuperstar fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Jul 12, 2015

• Locked thread