Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack_tripper
Jun 7, 2009

yaay posted:

the anti-comet brigade are keen to brush off 'a few extra degrees' of gun depression when it is literally The Most Important Stat

this is exactly right. I don't mind being bottom tier in the comet nearly as much as getting a flat map

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart

yaay posted:

the anti-comet brigade are keen to brush off 'a few extra degrees' of gun depression when it is literally The Most Important Stat
The problem is that the mantlet is relatively unreliable even if you get a lucky bounce here and there, the view range is underwhelming compared to other Tier VII mediums, and the gun is pretty inadequate for its tier. Similarly, the tank lacks the armor to brawl and the mobility to efficiently relocate itself to advantageous positions where flanking would be key. It's like a jack of no trades, master of gun depression but lacks any real traits to take full advantage of said stat.

RanKizama fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jul 7, 2015

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Unfortunately for the Comet, the Cromwell has an advantage in things that aren't clicking tanks in this game about not clicking tanks.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
Played two games in arty yesterday. It reminded me why arty is loving awful.

Clearly if I do poorly in it, it is awful.

AMX 30 Proto remains a total loving monster. Only if it had slightly better aim time, then it would be totally broken perfectly balanced.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

TheFluff posted:

I really don't understand the amerigoon hardon for the Comet. It's a thoroughly mediocre tank that in many ways is worse than the Cromwell. It has a lower top speed, lower HP/ton ratio and higher ground resistance so it's a lot more sluggish. What you gain in exchange is seventy-five (75) more DPM, a turret that very occasionally may bounce a thing, a few degrees of gun depression and gun handling that isn't the garbage the Cromwell has (still not super impressive, though). It plays sort of like the Easy Eight except one tier higher, which kinda sounds cool but it really isn't.

All of the T7 mediums I've played so far have been pretty unimpressive (except the T20, which was pretty cool albeit hampered by its abysmal DPM) and the Comet really doesn't stand out in any way at all. I elited it, sold it and didn't buy the Centurion.

Meanwhile I have a >70% win rate in the Cromwell B.

agreed, the pershing is also in many ways worse than the t20

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Control Volume posted:

nah

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart

Control Volume posted:

The T20 had a very particular playstyle with it's mobility and slow-firing, high-output gun. The Pershing was definitely more of a throwback to conventional medium play but it had enough points in every department to stay viable in most instances despite being a little sluggish. After that though, you get the M46 and M48A1 Patton tanks and they're loving great.

The American medium line is pretty all over the place. It's weird, but a lot of fun and it helped teach me how to adjust my playstyle based on vehicle and map characteristics.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

think about it, it trades the t20s excellent mobility for armor that's unreliable even against tier 6s, gun handling that's not appreciably better, 20mm more penetration that doesn't mean much even though the t20 can go through anything it sees with gold rounds, and the only quantifiably good improvement is the DPM which isn't that great compared to other tier 8 mediums.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

RanKizama posted:

The American medium line is pretty all over the place. It's weird, but a lot of fun and it helped teach me how to adjust my playstyle based on vehicle and map characteristics.

And yet you still cannot play well in the best tier seven or on the best map. Shameful anime.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Hellsau posted:

And yet you still cannot play well in the best tier seven or on the best map. Shameful anime.

Ohhhhh shiiiitttttttt

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart

Hellsau posted:

best tier seven
I can play moderately well in the Comet, despite it being garbage in all areas but one that it can't even utilize well.

Map so good it doesn't exist anymore. :v:

JohnGalt
Aug 7, 2012
The LTTB is super ridiculous. Tier 7 light tanks shouldn't be able to average 2200 dpg.

I need a clan now.. Any ideas?

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Control Volume posted:

think about it, it trades the t20s excellent mobility for armor that's unreliable even against tier 6s, gun handling that's not appreciably better, 20mm more penetration that doesn't mean much even though the t20 can go through anything it sees with gold rounds, and the only quantifiably good improvement is the DPM which isn't that great compared to other tier 8 mediums.

The mobility difference isn't huge, certainly less significant than the ~25% lower top speed the Comet has compared to the Cromwell. Both have good gun handling and penetration appropriate to their tier. The Pershing has 200+ more DPM which is also a difference appropriate to its higher tier. It low DPM compared to other T8 mediums (just like the T20's DPM is bad compared to other T7 mediums) but it's still a significant improvement over the previous tank in the line. The Pershing is not a huge improvement over the T20 but neither is it worse.

The thing with the Cromwell is that it has one big gimmick and that's going really fast and having good DPM at the expense of gun handling. The Comet sorta takes away this gimmick while keeping almost everything else except the gun handling and gun depression the same as on the Cromwell. That's why I'm saying it's worse than the Cromwell in some ways. Meanwhile the T20 and the Pershing have mostly the same gimmick, the Pershing just does more of it.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

the black prince is also just as bad as the churchill VII. it has a mediocre gun, the same top speed, armor that's still full of weakpoints, and all it gets is gun handling

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

^^^ this is getting out-of-hand. mods?!

RanKizama posted:

Map so good it doesn't exist anymore. :v:

It's well-established that WG's map team hate good maps.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

the patton: less armor than the t-54 and e-50, less mobile than the former and much less accurate than both. its only benefit is gun handling. conclusion: it must be a bad tank, like the comet and pershing

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Control Volume posted:

the black prince is also just as bad as the churchill VII. it has a mediocre gun, the same top speed, armor that's still full of weakpoints, and all it gets is gun handling

the black prince has a hidden winrate bonus though

Control Volume posted:

the patton: less armor than the t-54 and e-50, less mobile than the former and much less accurate than both. its only benefit is gun handling. conclusion: it must be a bad tank, like the comet and pershing

the patton loving owns, much unlike the comet

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jul 7, 2015

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

TheFluff posted:

the black prince has a hidden winrate bonus though

the patton loving owns, much unlike the comet

sorry, the comet, pershing, and patton are objectively terrible tanks whose tier for tier performance i haven't been able to match with any other tank except the e-75

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart

Control Volume posted:

sorry, the comet, pershing, and patton are objectively terrible tanks whose tier for tier performance i haven't been able to match with any other tank except the e-75
The M46 Patton actually falls pretty square in the middle between the E-50 and T-54 in virtually every regard.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Control Volume posted:

there's nothing wrong with being a mediocre tank liker, no need to get all defensive on me mister volume

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jul 7, 2015

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
It never fails to amaze me how the Comet always seems to set this thread on fire.

Always.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

TheFluff posted:

there's nothing wrong with being a mediocre tank liker, no need to get all defensive on me mister volume

the only mediocre tank i like is the panther

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart

Control Volume posted:

I'm finally about to unlock that thing. Is it average overall or does it have some particularly good thing that it's good at?

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Mesadoram posted:

It never fails to amaze me how the Comet always seems to set this thread on fire.

Always.

england hellsau expects that every goon will do his duty

no but seriously though, I really like the cromwell's ability to gofast and was disappointed because the comet does not gofast and I have other tanks that I like to play if I want to snapshoot things (like, all of them after the accuracy changes). that's pretty much it really. well toodles

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Control Volume posted:

I kinda like the Chi-Ri, and I will probably get the Panther pretty soon.

I should really rebuy the Comet, Pershing and T20 since they were all great tanks.
There are worse tanks in those tiers, so I don't know what we actually are discussing?

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

RanKizama posted:

I'm finally about to unlock that thing. Is it average overall or does it have some particularly good thing that it's good at?

It's a bizarre tank. It has no alpha with weak/average dpm. It has good accuracy and amazing pen (its standard round is basically a gold round in tier). So you would think it needs to play the role of a DPM sniper. But, its camo value is poo poo. It does have ~200 extra HP relative to other mediums in tier, but no armor (excepting the front of the turret). Needless to say I'm not a big fan of it.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

RanKizama posted:

it might be better now that guns overall got less accurate so other guns don't have the same pinpoint accuracy that the panther does, but all the good sniper spots are wide open to artillery these days and the panther does not deal with artillery well

the panther is real good at tracking things though, if you can see a track you can permatrack them if they dont have a repair kit

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I, too, want to join a clan that does strongholds often.

WayAbvPar
Mar 11, 2009

Ah- Smug Mode.

Mesadoram posted:

Played two games in arty yesterday. It reminded me why arty is loving awful.

Clearly if I do poorly in it, it is awful.

AMX 30 Proto remains a total loving monster. Only if it had slightly better aim time, then it would be totally broken perfectly balanced.

God I love that tank. My only complaint- I just spent 32k XP to unlock the last engine in it and I don't feel any difference in the way it plays. Was hoping for a bit more acceleration or something. Still a complete monster, and a great reason for me to buy the CDC.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

If only the time limit on assault was 11 minutes. :negative:

Also, 3002D remains best tier 7 medium.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

LostCosmonaut posted:

If only the time limit on assault was 11 minutes. :negative:

Don't play bad game modes.

LostCosmonaut posted:

Also, 3002D remains best tier 7 medium.

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart

Mesadoram posted:

Don't play bad game modes.
I formed a platoon with a 57% player yesterday since we worked well together in a random match. First match we had as an assault match. I've had this mode disabled for about two years now. I almost forgot how to play it. :derp:

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

RanKizama posted:

I formed a platoon with a 57% player yesterday since we worked well together in a random match. First match we had as an assault match. I've had this mode disabled for about two years now. I almost forgot how to play it. :derp:

Yeah, it throws me too whenever I join a platoon with some bozo who has left them on.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Control Volume posted:

Watch your god drat mouth.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
People like the Black Prince?

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
I unironically like all of the British heavies :colbert:

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Mesadoram posted:

I unironically like all of the British heavies :colbert:

The only one I don't like is the Chruchill VII.

The BP is made of magic and candy and owns.

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart

unlawfulsoup posted:

Yeah, it throws me too whenever I join a platoon with some bozo who has left them on.
I don't mind Encounter mode and actually enable it from time to time, but Assault mode really messes with me apparently. I just followed him and focus-fired whatever it was he was shooting at. lol

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
You guys will love the A45. It is another slow shitheap predicated on the idea that your enemy is dumb enough to sit in front of you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

RanKizama posted:

I don't mind Encounter mode and actually enable it from time to time, but Assault mode really messes with me apparently. I just followed him and focus-fired whatever it was he was shooting at. lol

I like Encounter to, Assault is way too reliant on your teammates though for my taste.