Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Badger of Basra posted:

there was an article in the atlantic yesterday about how we should develop a modern cultural literacy list a la hirsch

i'd be legit interested in some kind of study on whether the modern era and the internet has led to a greater unification of cultural experiences in america by making it easier to show the same thing to more people faster or a greater splintering because it is easier to find a subcultural niche rather than participate in the 'mainstream'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

mandatory lesbian posted:

hmmm, easy solution is to not post but i guess thats too smart for ya to think of

gently caress you

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Berke Negri posted:

did someone do that

I mean I haven't though tof north since yeah, I was like seven or whatever

yep

it was one of those nostalgia reviewer guys whose primary audience is people who arent old enough to be nostalgic for the things he talks about.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
i liked in they live when the two beefy men had a ten minute fistfight about putting on the magic glasses, it was an allegory for communusm (full, now)

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

UberJew posted:

i'd be legit interested in some kind of study on whether the modern era and the internet has led to a greater unification of cultural experiences in america by making it easier to show the same thing to more people faster or a greater splintering because it is easier to find a subcultural niche rather than participate in the 'mainstream'

same, imo it would lean towards the latter

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

paranoid randroid posted:

yep

it was one of those nostalgia reviewer guys whose primary audience is people who arent old enough to be nostalgic for the things he talks about.

this North? http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0110687/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Exclamation Marx posted:

zoux is the top poster in the tv/iv chat thread

do they like him over there

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

UberJew posted:

both, at the same time. like theres tremendous penetration of a single, overarching culture that serves as a backdrop to a bunch of little subcultural cells. like consider how memes get recontextualized to be about specific things or pieces of media, rather than a general concept or idea.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Literally The Worst posted:

gently caress you

sorry hun, you're not my type

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

UberJew posted:

it's definitely the latter though "splintering" isn't the word I'd use

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

both, at the same time. like theres tremendous penetration of a single, overarching culture that serves as a backdrop to a bunch of little subcultural cells. like consider how memes get recontextualized to be about specific things or pieces of media, rather than a general concept or idea.

the trifecta thanks obama/pepe/not all men meme

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

euphronius posted:

Since you are not a native English speaker you can probably avoid Nabakov as it is tough for non English natives to parse.

:whitewater:

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Badger of Basra posted:

i haven't checked but i think it's pretty doubtful

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
this stuff is legit fascinating to me. im that guy putting ragefaces in sociology textbooks. im that scumbag.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

UberJew posted:

The most difficult thing would be defining the niches.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Literally The Worst posted:

same, imo it would lean towards the latter

if i had to guess i'd guess that the answer is "it's complicated" with a whole bunch of different results depending on where different demographic groups lie in relation to each other or straight white dudehood

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Exclamation Marx posted:

in terms of # of posts, that is

he's got to claim the #1 spot in every chat thread in north america at least once

he's like Alberto El Patron, but with shitposting instead of wrestling

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Badger of Basra posted:

I think the only people who like zoux are our lurkers

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

Berke Negri posted:

it's definitely the latter though "splintering" isn't the word I'd use

atomisation

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
we should sell "I Believe in zoux" t-shirts

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Exclamation Marx posted:

zoux is the top poster in the tv/iv chat thread

i try really hard not to be

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

zoux they're about to start one of the public forums on the jeff davis statue

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Sharkie posted:

The most difficult thing would be defining the niches.

and this is why i lean towards the latter. theres nothing stopping niche groups from becoming more niche, all it takes is five minutes to make a free forum.n its easy to go "oh we're not matroyshka doll fuckers, those guys put their dicks IN the dolls no we're fuckEES we put the dolls in our asses" and then both of those are splinters of some other cultural object loving group which is another splinter of another splinter and so on and maybe those groups all still read the websites or forums or whatever of the group(s) they splintered off of but they dont identify as that group anymore

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Badger of Basra posted:

zoux they're about to start one of the public forums on the jeff davis statue

lol appar. they are also talking about renaming R.E. Lee elementary, at a separate town hall

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

blossoming

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

zoux posted:

lol appar. they are also talking about renaming R.E. Lee elementary, at a separate town hall

i voted in that poll they keep mentioning on the news :smug:

on kut they said "some residents feel that we should consider his entire life, not just the civil war" like what, his slaveownership beforehand?

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

zoux posted:

i try really hard not to be

it's only 400-ish posts, whereas you've made 100 itt in like the past few hours

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
it might be fairer to say that our subcultural groups are increasingly modeled on or informed by the monoculture in some capacity.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Yeah I think this is probably the most helpful way to look at it.

My pepe would be meaningless to my grandma, but would have a different meaning than for someone who's on 4chan all day

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

all other chat threads seem really dead compared to this one

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Badger of Basra posted:

i voted in that poll they keep mentioning on the news :smug:

on kut they said "some residents feel that we should consider his entire life, not just the civil war" like what, his slaveownership beforehand?

there was that thing with the mexicans too

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

i'm gonna take this correction of terminology as a reason to assume you know a thing here

i'm serious about being interested in studies about this like, is this poo poo covered by sociology or is there another field I should see if there's classes available (online via community college, because haha at making it to in-person classes while working full time without a car) to get a grounding in this sort of analysis

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?
the only good thing about dickeye's posting is that there's so much of it that it prevents me from holding the title of top poster itt

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

paragon1 posted:

there was that thing with the mexicans too

"the who?"

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

UberJew posted:

i'm gonna take this correction of terminology as a reason to assume you know a thing here

i'm serious about being interested in studies about this like, is this poo poo covered by sociology or is there another field I should see if there's classes available (online via community college, because haha at making it to in-person classes while working full time without a car) to get a grounding in this sort of analysis

someone ask eripsa

(that was another reference)

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Berke Negri posted:

all other chat threads seem really dead compared to this one

that's because this one has gone Full Crew Thread

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

Berke Negri posted:

I think the only people who like zoux are our lurkers

I take offense to that

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

i don't see what CSI opening theme songs has to do with anything

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
i mean we live in a time where now its entirely feasible to see old movies and tv shows and whatever from around the world, there's so much more media that peple can ally themselves against or around that i can't imagine there's much of a case to be made for a more unified culture

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
*picture of a guy in a graphic tshirt clutching an ipad as he gets blown away with a machine gun* Modernity is poo poo! It Cant Stop Malaise!

• Locked thread