Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

RottenK posted:

Where does that happen?

Final boss of The Aery. Estinien kills Nidhogg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

WarLocke posted:

GW2 is the game in which they would patch in new content and then remove it 2 weeks later, for it to never return again.

gently caress GW2.

They abandoned this style of temporary content a while ago.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

WarLocke posted:

GW2 is the game in which they would patch in new content and then remove it 2 weeks later, for it to never return again.

gently caress GW2.

They're done with that now, thankfully. They stopped after Living World Season 1 when it turned out to be exactly as terrible of an idea as it sounds. They stuck to their guns on it way longer than they should have, but at least they're done. They've since released a few new fractals, two new zones, and a couple dozen repeatable personal story missions with achievements and new weapons/armor as rewards.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

The Chairman posted:

Final boss of The Aery. Estinien kills Nidhogg.

Isn't that the guy who gets vaporized at the end of the Dragoon storyline?

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

WarLocke posted:

gently caress GW2.

I misunderstood your question, I thought you meant obsoleting things through stat inflation, sorry.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Harrow posted:

They're done with that now, thankfully. They stopped after Living World Season 1 when it turned out to be exactly as terrible of an idea as it sounds. They stuck to their guns on it way longer than they should have, but at least they're done. They've since released a few new fractals, two new zones, and a couple dozen repeatable personal story missions with achievements and new weapons/armor as rewards.

Can't you buy all that as a little DLC pack? And if you were actually around for the original event, you get it for free?

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Rookersh posted:

Can't you buy all that as a little DLC pack? And if you were actually around for the original event, you get it for free?

This is true about Living Story Season 2. Not season 1.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Rookersh posted:

Season 2, yes. Season 1 is gone forever. I missed all of season 1, so I'll never do it, but that's probably fine because it means I'll never get to understand first-hand why everyone hated Scarlet so much.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Harrow posted:

Season 2, yes. Season 1 is gone forever. I missed all of season 1, so I'll never do it, but that's probably fine because it means I'll never get to understand first-hand why everyone hated Scarlet so much.

Oh cool, so ANet hasn't learned anything yet. Has there been any talk of readding it?

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Rookersh posted:

Oh cool, so ANet hasn't learned anything yet. Has there been any talk of readding it?

What are you talking about? The way Season 2 works and their abandonment of the old temporary content model is iron clad proof that they have learned.

To answer your question, yes. There has been talk in the past but it hasn't been supportive of readding it anytime soon. It would take a lot of work and they have since revamped quite a bit of their living story technology for Season 2 in order to support the current system. ANET is currently dedicating the majority of their resources on the Heart of Thorns expansion. There is also the fact that demand to readd Season 1 is very low compared to the list of other content and features that the player base is asking for.

Beyond that, you really are not missing much. Season 1 got sorta decent towards the end but most of it is not very good. Players tend to talk more about wanting ANET to bring SAB back than they do LS season 1. So much so that ANET recently addressed this matter and basically gave the "we are hard at work on the expansion" reason which makes sense at least for now.

Xavier434 fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jul 7, 2015

Cyster
Jul 22, 2007

Things are going to be okay.

panda clue posted:

https://twitter.com/StephanFrost/status/618168660574650369

We've come full circle. God Bless Wildstar.

the lead designer on Wildstar is now a designer for WoW. you can't make this poo poo up

Quick correction: Frost is a producer. He doesn't affect gameplay at all; his job is to organize tasks to ensure that the designers do their work within a reasonable space of time so they get deliverables done. Did the same thing on Wildstar, with the addition of lending his voice to some videos and a couple of NPCs in the game as well as co-hosting the stream for a while.

Back to your regularly scheduled hellthread. :v:

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Cyster posted:

Cyster gets it.

This thread is sometimes funny but not for the reason many of the posters in it think it is.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Xavier434 posted:

Beyond that, you really are not missing much. Season 1 got sorta decent towards the end but most of it is not very good. Players tend to talk more about wanting ANET to bring SAB back than they do LS season 1. So much so that ANET recently addressed this matter and basically gave the "we are hard at work on the expansion" reason which makes sense at least for now.

I saw some Colin-post on Reddit fairly recently (like, last week) saying that they want to rework SAB to use some of the new physics things they developed for Drytop and the Silverwastes, and also to rework World 2 because it was poorly received. I mean, that doesn't mean a whole lot, but at least it's still on their radar and they're aware what people liked and didn't like about it.

Rookersh posted:

I don't know if there'd be any real value in readding Season 1, especially because most of the better parts of it, from what I've seen, were dynamic events in the open world. Readding it wouldn't make a whole lot of sense and/or would require reworking a lot of things into personal instances instead of open world events. They're probably better off focusing on new content.

That said, Season 2 was pretty good, though they definitely haven't gotten much better at writing dialog or creating new characters that anyone would ever give a crap about. A few decent puzzle bosses in the story instances, though, with incentives for doing the bosses with a group and redoing the content to get achievements and get ascended accessories and crafting materials and stuff.

Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008

Harrow posted:

I don't know if there'd be any real value in readding Season 1, especially because most of the better parts of it, from what I've seen, were dynamic events in the open world. Readding it wouldn't make a whole lot of sense and/or would require reworking a lot of things into personal instances instead of open world events. They're probably better off focusing on new content.

I could see them adding a revamped Buttbot and/or Scarlet Hologram fight back in somehow, but yeah, for the most part there wasn't much in season 1 worth revisiting.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Harrow posted:

That said, Season 2 was pretty good, though they definitely haven't gotten much better at writing dialog or creating new characters that anyone would ever give a crap about. A few decent puzzle bosses in the story instances, though, with incentives for doing the bosses with a group and redoing the content to get achievements and get ascended accessories and crafting materials and stuff.

The characters and writing are my only real gripe with S2. I enjoyed everything else about it.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Xavier434 posted:

The characters and writing are my only real gripe with S2. I enjoyed everything else about it.

This is probably outside the scope of this thread, but I did kind of want to punch whoever designed the Shadow of the Dragon fight from the last episode of S2. The divine fire part was way too busy to be any fun to do solo, and a lone Mesmer's damage just isn't enough to make that fight less tedious. I hope they take a lesson from the better Zelda games with future gimmick bosses: gimmicks are cool, but don't make the player repeat them more than twice or three times, and make it more interesting each time.

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Cyster posted:

Quick correction: Frost is a producer. He doesn't affect gameplay at all; his job is to organize tasks to ensure that the designers do their work within a reasonable space of time so they get deliverables done. Did the same thing on Wildstar, with the addition of lending his voice to some videos and a couple of NPCs in the game as well as co-hosting the stream for a while.

Why do you only hop in here to 'correct' people about how totally not terrible Carbine is but you refuse to answer actual questions or comment on the terrible things your company definitely does do?

If you wanna white knight Carbine to the grave that's fine by me but maybe also address some of the super terrible things you guys do instead of completely cherry picking what to comment on?

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

panda clue posted:

Why do you only hop in here to 'correct' people about how totally not terrible Carbine is but you refuse to answer actual questions or comment on the terrible things your company definitely does do?

If I were Cyster I would not want to post much here either. I like to rip on WS but this thread gets really toxic. Beyond that, corrections are welcome and insight are welcome in my book.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

panda clue posted:

If you wanna white knight Carbine to the grave that's fine by me but maybe also address some of the super terrible things you guys do instead of completely cherry picking what to comment on?

I believe the answer lies in the question

Also when you say "terrible things" are you making a nazi reference or what, I'm unclear on this

Also for the last like 5 pages we haven't even been talking about WS or carbine at all, so this is actually the first time in a long time someone's even brought up the game

Also dickbutt

LITERALLY MY FETISH fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jul 7, 2015

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Panda Clue

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Xavier434 posted:

If I were Cyster I would not want to post much here either. I like to rip on WS but this thread gets really toxic. Beyond that, corrections are welcome and insight are welcome in my book.

Oh I agree completely, its just really cute how much she always cherry picks what to comment on so she comes off like a :smugdog: while completely ignoring addressing anything. And goons let it slide because "but she made shiphands!!!"

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

I vaguely remember panda clue as the guy who used another account to shitpost about like furries or something while actually making GBS threads and forgetting he wasn't on his other account?

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

panda clue posted:

This is some r/wildstar careposting.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

I vaguely remember panda clue as the guy who used another account to shitpost about like furries or something while actually making GBS threads and forgetting he wasn't on his other account?

:yeah:

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

panda clue posted:

Oh I agree completely, its just really cute how much she always cherry picks what to comment on so she comes off like a :smugdog: while completely ignoring addressing anything. And goons let it slide because "but she made shiphands!!!"

I don't get the smug impression from her myself. As far as addressing stuff goes, I'm sure she has her reasons but if it were me I probably wouldn't bother either. The fact is that there is hardly anything that any developer could say in this thread which would be treated with enough reason and fairness to open up a productive dialogue. This thread is for ripping WS a new one. It isn't to actually discuss the game in depth like we do in most other MMO threads.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

panda clue posted:

Well, go on then...? Don't let it slide, ask away. No one is stopping you.

Enemu
May 31, 2014

Xavier434 posted:

I don't get the smug impression from her myself. As far as addressing stuff goes, I'm sure she has her reasons but if it were me I probably wouldn't bother either. The fact is that there is hardly anything that any developer could say in this thread which would be treated with enough reason and fairness to open up a productive dialogue. This thread is for ripping WS a new one. It isn't to actually discuss the game in depth like we do in most other MMO threads.

To be fair it's become a general poor-design-choices-in-MMOs thread

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy
If she came here and tried to defend any of Wildstar's more broken things, nobody would buy it and she'd just get a pile of crap for it. If she came here and was all 'lol yeah this sux' and the bosses found out, she'd get fired. The only way to win is not to play, etc. Sticking to light and fluffy things or statements of fact are the only things she can post without stepping on any land mines.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

panda clue posted:

What do you want exactly, "Yeah I agree the art design looks awful, I'll go redo all the art this weekend"

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

She's been in industry long enough to know this thread is a no-win scenario

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Valatar posted:

If she came here and tried to defend any of Wildstar's more broken things, nobody would buy it and she'd just get a pile of crap for it. If she came here and was all 'lol yeah this sux' and the bosses found out, she'd get fired. The only way to win is not to play, etc. Sticking to light and fluffy things or statements of fact are the only things she can post without stepping on any land mines.

Yup. This guy gets it.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

panda clue posted:

god you really are just so loving mad that you don't have a target for your impotent raging

lol

Cyster
Jul 22, 2007

Things are going to be okay.

I read the thread, take the feedback I can use, address the things I can address, basically, and let y'all have your fun otherwise.

However I did regret not reading the thread for a while and thus was unable to give a nod to John Dyne -- there was a lot of solid criticism there, including some stuff I'm responsible for, and I appreciate that.

I'm not trying to make the thread something it isn't and honestly there's not much I can say most days, but if I can help correct a perception, I try to. That's pretty much it.

panda clue
May 23, 2014

god you really are just so loving mad that you don't have a target for your impotent raging

lol

?

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Cyster posted:

I read the thread, take the feedback I can use, address the things I can address, basically, and let y'all have your fun otherwise.

However I did regret not reading the thread for a while and thus was unable to give a nod to John Dyne -- there was a lot of solid criticism there, including some stuff I'm responsible for, and I appreciate that.

I'm not trying to make the thread something it isn't and honestly there's not much I can say most days, but if I can help correct a perception, I try to. That's pretty much it.

You're brave

lol

Be careful or they'll send you like 10 creepy PM'S about them jacking off to your posts

panda clue
May 23, 2014

I think your obsession with me is getting a little unhealthy.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

Cyster posted:

We can't let this slide!

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

panda clue posted:

I think your obsession with me is getting a little unhealthy.

Lol

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

Cyster posted:

I respect you for sticking around, Cyster. The lack of comment on other stuff says plenty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Anoia posted:

I respect you for sticking around, Cyster. The lack of comment on other stuff says plenty.

• Locked thread