Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!

Aliquid posted:

I'm wondering what one can do to an existing house for $300,000.

Rebuild it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Aliquid posted:

I don't know if anyone watches Grand Designs from the BCC, but every episode is BWM: House Edition! It's either buying these ridiculously awkward plots that cost a poo poo ton to build an overly extravagant house on, or buying some old run down barn that's heritage listed and turning it into a mansion, but because it's heritage listed it costs about 100x as much as a normal renovation.

Hocus Pocus
Sep 7, 2011

Rudager posted:

I don't know if anyone watches Grand Designs from the BCC, but every episode is BWM: House Edition! It's either buying these ridiculously awkward plots that cost a poo poo ton to build an overly extravagant house on, or buying some old run down barn that's heritage listed and turning it into a mansion, but because it's heritage listed it costs about 100x as much as a normal renovation.

And don't forget the on site impulse decisions/changes. Going off plan and out of budget in spectacular ways.

"Oh well, Kevin, once we saw it going up we just knew we had to move the staircase/window/feature wall a few centimeters. Oh, and add the variable tinted glass/carbon fibre sculpture/induction cooktop. It just wouldn't be home without it!"

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Aliquid posted:

7.5 glass railings for your staircases.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
For $300k you could do quite a bit to a house, that is if you planned what you were doing.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

poo poo son $300k can get you a whole house and the land underneath it

RandomBlue posted:

7.5 glass railings for your staircases.

:agreed:

Blackjack2000
Mar 29, 2010

Wickerman posted:

My dad is just planning to survive off of SS payments with a retirement age of 70. That's something like 2500/month I think.

He'll have no debt and a house though, FWIW. I think it's doable.

That's basically my parents' plan. My mom just turned 66 and cut back from 5 days a week to 3. They do have some savings, but they made a lot of really bad investing decisions, and got burned so many times I think they just use CDs and savings accounts now. I tried so hard to get them to read about index funds 10 years ago but finally just gave up. Ugh. House is paid off, and my dad paid himself as an employee in his business, so they'll both get decent SS benefits.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
I could talk about the no vote from Greece but it's time to get closer to home. The discussion about what people do with their retirement savings in New Zealand.

quote:

An AMP survey of 1,000 retirees in 2014 found 15% planned to use their pots to pay off their mortgages, while 14% planned to invest it elsewhere, 14% planned to spend it immediately and 8% planned to leave their money in.
http://www.interest.co.nz/opinion/76335/bernard-hickey-argues-its-time-think-about-how-million-retiring-kiwisavers-could

Only 51% knew what they were going to do with their retirement savings. With 37% either paying off mortgage, leaving the investment there or investing elsewhere. That's not to bad but the remainder planning to spend it all are crazy (that's more than a 1/4 of those that responded).

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

Devian666 posted:

I could talk about the no vote from Greece but it's time to get closer to home. The discussion about what people do with their retirement savings in New Zealand.

http://www.interest.co.nz/opinion/76335/bernard-hickey-argues-its-time-think-about-how-million-retiring-kiwisavers-could

Only 51% knew what they were going to do with their retirement savings. With 37% either paying off mortgage, leaving the investment there or investing elsewhere. That's not to bad but the remainder planning to spend it all are crazy (that's more than a 1/4 of those that responded).
Well, 1000 people can't really be indicative of 4.7million people... oh nope it is. At 95% confidence level and 3% error margin you only need to survey 1000 people. What the gently caress is 22% of the population thinking?

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009
We as a nation have a very poor understanding of investment and how to grow money in any manner that does not include buying houses.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
Combine that with a terrible fear of the stock market that started after the 1987 crash. Most of those retiring now were likely burnt in that crash or saw the massive financial fallout. If it's not savings, term deposits or property they won't be interested. I think all the goldbugs became extinct after the collapse of Goldcorp which went to the Privy Council to get the final determination of who owned the gold.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Re_Goldcorp_Exchange_Ltd

Between the events of 1987 and the finance company collapses of recent years your average New Zealander views a lot of financial instruments as toxic.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I'm nor really sure what my parents are thinking. They're going to get some sort of laughable pension from the government but have no savings of their own or a plan to do something about that.

Just today I saw this sign and immediately thought about this thread.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
This one is just sad. High school kids writes a bunch of checks, tells his friends they're "souvenir checks" and not to cash them, but they do and he loses all his money and then some.

quote:

The checks were really cool, I never had anything like them before. But I was kind of sad because I didn’t have anything to use them for. I had a lot of friends over last week and I showed them the checks and they all thought they were really cool too. I got the idea that I could give my friends some souvenir checks. I TOLD them these were ONLY SOUVENIRS. We had a blast that day, I was acting like a billionaire and making jokes asking people how much money they needed and then writing them a fake check. I kept telling them it was all FAKE and they couldn’t cash the checks.
I went to the bank this afternoon to sort it out and I asked how much money was in the account. They said there was NOTHING in the account and that I owed THEM money for fees. I felt like I was going to faint or throw up so I got out of there as fast as I could (didn’t explain the situation to them).

link.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
I know 14 year olds are dumb as gently caress but what a bunch of lovely friends.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Guest2553 posted:

poo poo son $300k can get you a whole house and the land underneath it

That depends on where you're talking about, so by that logic, $1000 can get you a whole house and the land underneath it in the right place.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Rofl @ "meeting of the minds". They're 14. Clearly there was not a mind among them.

That poor stupid kid. His whole life is gonna be hard.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

Nail Rat posted:

That depends on where you're talking about, so by that logic, $1000 can get you a whole house and the land underneath it in the right place.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

Reddit Cheque Kid.

Bloody hell. Makes me glad that I wasn't allowed access to my bank account until I was 18.

In a way, it reminds me of my brother, who used to (and still does, to the best of my knowledge) buy ~$200 AUD cotton t-shirts because of the branding on them.

I remember my parents raging because he bought a Beatles t-shirt for $160. He doesn't even like the Beatles.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xc1Y64N4O7g

Around 1:10 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xc1Y64N4O7g&feature=youtu.be&t=70)

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
I had a bank account with full access since I was like six years old. Some people are just retarded.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Your parents also probably taught you things like "don't hand out checks you don't want cashed" and "seriously, checks aren't toys". Reddit OP's parents obviously didn't.

On the bright side, he knows exactly how trustworthy his friends are now!

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Exactly where I was thinking :v:

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Haifisch posted:

Your parents also probably taught you things like "don't hand out checks you don't want cashed" and "seriously, checks aren't toys". Reddit OP's parents obviously didn't.

On the bright side, he knows exactly how trustworthy his friends are now!

His parents probably thought "well he could get himself in trouble with a credit card, but what idiot would screw themselves over writing bad cheques?"

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
What does a teenager need a checkbook for anyway?

I've had a bank account since I was ~8, now I'm 26 with the same account and I can get pretty good rates on stuff from my bank since I've been a member for so long.

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

I've had a bank account since I was ~8, now I'm 26 with the same account and I can get pretty good rates on stuff from my bank since I've been a member for so long.

When I was 16 (~2000), I wrote checks for car insurance.

Now I pay online but I have a credit card so I don't know what the whipper snappers are doing. Don't most banks now offer online billpay?

Inverse Icarus fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jul 7, 2015

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
I write checks for rent and sometimes for medical bills, which I thankfully don't have many of. If I cared enough there are alternate ways for me to pay for both of those but they'd be more work to set up.

I had to order checks just for rent and I expect those checks will last me many years. I'm a bit paranoid though so even though I'm transitioning to a new bank in going to keep writing checks from the old bank and using it as a firewall account, though I also get more physical branches with the old bank.

I can't fathom a 14 year old getting excited about checks like that. Checks are what old people use at the cashier when they want to hold up everyone behind them.

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

If I had to buy anything in high school we were required to pay with check because I guess cash was so easily stolen. Yearbooks, letter jackets, fundraiser purchases, things like that. I remember bringing my checkbook for the first time and just staring at Check # 0001 blankly. I eventually figured it out and didn't give my friends a thousand dollars each, but I can kind of see where the ????what is this how do I do this what???? comes from when you're 15 and dumb.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

He coulda just given them a buck or something. Or a few cents. From the way he describes them playing around I wonder how much the checks were written for.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

Chinaman7000 posted:

He coulda just given them a buck or something. Or a few cents. From the way he describes them playing around I wonder how much the checks were written for.

Probably reasonable amounts, he was dumb but not dumb enough to save himself.

A 15 year old kid comes in to cash a check for $100, who cares.

A 15 year old kid comes in to case a check for $1,000,000 raises questions and that check probably wouldn't have ever been cashed.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
Poor kid was probably just excited to have the attention. He was likely manipulated into thinking he was in the clear, but the teens who cashed those checks clearly knew what they were doing in getting him to write those checks.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Blinkman987 posted:

Poor kid was probably just excited to have the attention. He was likely manipulated into thinking he was in the clear, but the teens who cashed those checks clearly knew what they were doing in getting him to write those checks.

This is exactly what it looks like.

Powerlurker
Oct 21, 2010

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

Probably reasonable amounts, he was dumb but not dumb enough to save himself.

A 15 year old kid comes in to cash a check for $100, who cares.

A 15 year old kid comes in to case a check for $1,000,000 raises questions and that check probably wouldn't have ever been cashed.

Wasn't there an episode of The Simpsons where Bart wrote Millhouse a postdated check for one million dollars payable in the year 10,000?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
This reminds me of Blank Check, which to a 10 year old was such an awesome movie.

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.
"Give this to your dad, he'll know what to do with it. I gotta go."

I wonder if that character is some Randian superhero.

dead lettuce
Sep 12, 2014

Blank Check is still an awesome movie, even as an adult. And it's a great lesson in the consequences of being BWM.

It is also the only movie I actually own on DVD. :cool:

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

This was a B-plot in an episode of King of the Hill.

Poor bill. :(

Hocus Pocus
Sep 7, 2011

What even is a souvenir check? Is that the term for those fake promotionals you sometimes get in the mail?

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

Hocus Pocus posted:

What even is a souvenir check? Is that the term for those fake promotionals you sometimes get in the mail?

I think he just meant "I'm giving my friends this adult item to remember that time I became an adult."

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

Uh maybe people lied to me but I thought you could just write "VOID" in big letters over a check and it wouldn't be cashable? Is that not true?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.

drat Bananas posted:

If I had to buy anything in high school we were required to pay with check because I guess cash was so easily stolen. Yearbooks, letter jackets, fundraiser purchases, things like that. I remember bringing my checkbook for the first time and just staring at Check # 0001 blankly. I eventually figured it out and didn't give my friends a thousand dollars each, but I can kind of see where the ????what is this how do I do this what???? comes from when you're 15 and dumb.

I think schools require checks so they have an easy way to double check who paid for what so no one can pull the "but I paid for it already!! YOU lost my money!!" card to get free poo poo.

I think I'll be using checks with my maiden name on them forever because the smallest quantity I could order was a poo poo ton and I write MAYBE 10 checks a year at the most and I can't be bothered to order a new giant box of checks I'll never write. At least I had the foresight to order them without an address on them since I've moved at least 3 times since I got them.

• Locked thread