Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007
In OS X Yosemite, Option-w is the default shortcut for "∑". How can I change that key combination to output a different character ("₩") instead?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

I have a 2008 macbook(A1278 model) that I was given by a family member, keep-it-if-i-fix-it type deal. I THOUGHT it just had a failed hard drive in need of replacement, but I actually got it to boot into recovery mode.

Couple things pop out. The smart data checks out as 'verified'. Actaully running verify/repair tools kicks up a couple errors.

"The partition map needs to be repaired because there is a problem with the EFI system partitions file system " and "live file system repair is not supported".

How reliable is the information from Disk Utility? Trying to boot into single-user mode kicks up a mach_kernel error of some kind and boots into disk utility anyway, so running a disk check that was is apparently out of the question.

I'm hopeful this is actually the equivalent of a MBR/bootloader error that can be fixed with a fresh install.

Does this situation sound familiar to anyone? (Apparently the recovery tool has Os x Mavericks if that helps version numbers.) If someone could give me basic advice, I'd really appreciate it. Computer savvy, not osx savvy. Should I just buy a new drive and go straight to another OS, or is this worth trying a few quick fixes on?

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
In disk utility try selecting the main partition of the disk then click repair disk. That live repair unsupported message appears because you selected the whole disk which includes the recovery partition you're using to repair the disk.

Otherwise if you don't care about the data on the drive, erase the partition and install a clean copy of Mavericks.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
So I have a lot of large data files I want to share with a small group of people, which are too big to just throw up on dropbox. I use a mac with Yosemite, and all I can find is hundreds of articles using the built-in file sharing features. This doesn't seem very secure to me, am I just being paranoid? I realize I can make it SFTP, but I'd much rather have a solution where I can monitor all logins and file transfers to/from the box as it's my personal machine. I do not have a separate machine to do this nor do I have the time/money to invest in getting one.

If anyone could suggest a good server application or whatever that I can run on my machine without destroying my system resources, I'd appreciate it. Everything I'm finding right now is just for Client stuff. Back in college, I used to use CaesarFTP and I used to very much like how I could always pull it up and look at everything users had/were doing when connected. I'd like something like that, while also being more secure than the built-in option.

if the built-in option is "good enough", and I'm just being paranoid, that's fine too.

Thanks!

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

What's the best way to do a nuke-and-pave? I don't have any sort of documentation or utility cds.

I'm pretty sure i selected the sub partition, but we'll see. I'll re-run everything this afternoon.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

App Store Updates is a steaming piece of poo poo. Hangs, doesn't show updates, button presses do nothing. I've been staring at this blank pile of crap for 20 minutes amid restart after restart.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

JetsGuy posted:

So I have a lot of large data files I want to share with a small group of people, which are too big to just throw up on dropbox. I use a mac with Yosemite, and all I can find is hundreds of articles using the built-in file sharing features. This doesn't seem very secure to me, am I just being paranoid? I realize I can make it SFTP, but I'd much rather have a solution where I can monitor all logins and file transfers to/from the box as it's my personal machine. I do not have a separate machine to do this nor do I have the time/money to invest in getting one.

If anyone could suggest a good server application or whatever that I can run on my machine without destroying my system resources, I'd appreciate it. Everything I'm finding right now is just for Client stuff. Back in college, I used to use CaesarFTP and I used to very much like how I could always pull it up and look at everything users had/were doing when connected. I'd like something like that, while also being more secure than the built-in option.

if the built-in option is "good enough", and I'm just being paranoid, that's fine too.

Thanks!

Maybe this is a good way to go about it? It doesn't log like I'd like, but it does lock a user in only directories I want, I think? A big concern of mine is not letting these users access any part of my HDD I don't want them to see.

http://lennonlam.logdown.com/posts/216849-setup-sftp-on-osx

lord funk posted:

App Store Updates is a steaming piece of poo poo. Hangs, doesn't show updates, button presses do nothing. I've been staring at this blank pile of crap for 20 minutes amid restart after restart.

The updates are even worse on the iPad side. "heh, maybe we'll update... or maybe we'll just sit here not moving claiming your internet isn't connected". I also have an ipad app that hosed up during an update/restore (I forget which) and is just forever in the shadowed out mode. I can't delete it, there's an X, but when I try to delete it it says "delete "" ?". There's a (null) app in the storage management that I can delete, but not really, because it's back immediately. The appstore understands it's there sort of because it will try to update, but then fail at like 70%. Thanks mac app store.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

It's actually shocking how bad the App Store / Updates system is on OSX. One of the slowest apps on OSX by a mile.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

JetsGuy posted:

So I have a lot of large data files I want to share with a small group of people, which are too big to just throw up on dropbox.
bittorrent sync

TheParadigm posted:

What's the best way to do a nuke-and-pave? I don't have any sort of documentation or utility cds.

I'm pretty sure i selected the sub partition, but we'll see. I'll re-run everything this afternoon.
boot to the recovery partition by holding cmd+r while you power on the laptop. erase the partition in disk utility. close disk utility and click reinstall os x. the os will be downloaded from apple and installed.

wolffenstein fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jul 7, 2015

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

lord funk posted:

It's shocking to me that updating via the App Store is still so completely busted. I never once had an issue with the old dedicated Software Update application, but it's been nothing but headaches since they rolled it into the App Store.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Cyne posted:

It's shocking to me that updating via the App Store is still so completely busted. I never once had an issue with the old dedicated Software Update application, but it's been nothing but headaches since they rolled it into the App Store.
Same. I tend to rely on combo updates for OS X releases and softwareupdate -i -a in Terminal for anything else.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Works on my machine

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

It's strange to me because something as basic as updating your software being so broken just feels, well, un-Apple-like. The fact that it still doesn't work properly leads me to believe that they either don't care, which seems unlikely given how important the entire App Store system now is for OS X, or that there are major architectural issues, which is a little unnerving for the exact same reason!

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Updated ten or so workstations manually and no issues updating to 10.10.4

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Last Chance posted:

Updated ten or so workstations manually and no issues updating to 10.10.4
Updated ~25 machines and App Store was a huge piece of poo poo on about half. iTunes just did not want to install last week.

Anecdotes are fun!

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
OS X still doesn't have any way to uninstall software beyond, "Pray the application came with an uninstaller or didn't install anything outside of its .app folder". Meanwhile, Windows is getting a full package management framework in Windows 10 that's only missing the repository.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I keep getting errors trying to update to 10.10.4, tried it a few times through the App Store. Downloads fine but when I go to install, it says the Installer couldn't be verified or something. Any ideas ??

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I keep getting errors trying to update to 10.10.4, tried it a few times through the App Store. Downloads fine but when I go to install, it says the Installer couldn't be verified or something. Any ideas ??

Install the combo update

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
The only weird thing I notice about the App Store is that sometimes it'll download something but won't acknowledge that in the App Store app (You can see the progress in Launchpad though).

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Try this:

https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1820?locale=en_US

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Ozmodiar posted:

These are a couple of older posts...but are the only things I can find that are even close to the issue I'm having.

I have a Late 2014 MacMini with Dual Asus VH242H Monitors. One is plugged directly into my late 2014 Mac Mini via HDMI, the other is plugged in via a DisplayPort adapter (that I got from Monoprice). All worked flawlessly through 10.10.2, then 10.10.3 caused some sort of problem where the monitor hooked in via the DP Adapter would show the Apple Logo while booting, but would then simply cease to display anything after I got to the login screen on OS X.

Settings -> Displays acts like it knows the second monitor is there, but the monitor constantly displays an amber "sleeping" light and will not wake up/recieve a signal from the Mac.

10.10.4 listed something about fixing some issues with dual monitors, but didn't solve my problem.

OS X seems to notice that the second monitor is physically there...but doesn't actually output any video to the monitor itself.

I have tried safe mode, and resetting PRAM without any luck.

I know it's not the monitors, cables, or Monoprice HDMI to DisplayPort Adapter...my 2013 MBA can output video through the adapter just fine...and I've tried switching all the cables around to make sure...but nothing I can seem to find will make the monitor I was using via DP work again.

If anyone has any ideas, I'm more than willing to give them a try!

Just because the DisplayPort adapter works fine on another Mac doesn't mean it's drifted out of tolerance required to work on your Mac mini. See if you can borrow one to try.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

10.10.4 was the first time I ever had issues updating. My Macbook Pro was a nightmare to update, but the Macbook Air and iMac updated without issue.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

wolffenstein posted:

boot to the recovery partition by holding cmd+r while you power on the laptop. erase the partition in disk utility. close disk utility and click reinstall os x. the os will be downloaded from apple and installed.

Had this running this morning. Checked back with this error:

"Install failed, osx could not be installed on your computer.

IS X can't be installed on the disk macintosh hd, because a recovery system can't be created. Visit https://www.apple.com/support/no-recovery to learn more. Click restart to try again."

Which is dumb, because initiating the reinstall happened through the recovery partition. So i know it's there. Or was at one point

Current disc partitions show as
160.04 GB GD
Macintosh HD

Disc 1
OSX install ESD

Disk2
OSX base system

is there a way to force it to install anyway, manually create the recovery partition, and/or wipe all partitions from disc and start fresh via netboot or something?

Currently in an install/reboot circuit, please advice. It doesn't loop automatically but its just about.

TheParadigm fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jul 7, 2015

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
Can you still boot to the recovery partition with cmd+r while powering on the laptop?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I once had a problem downloading a version of iTunes like a year ago. But my current problem with the Mac App Store updates is that it won't let me hide an update anymore.

No Apple, I don't want digital RAW camera support! I don't use that! Let me hide it! :argh:
(Right click, Hide Update doesn't do anything.)

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

TheParadigm posted:

IS X can't be installed on the disk macintosh hd, because a recovery system can't be created. Visit https://www.apple.com/support/no-recovery to learn more. Click restart to try again."

Which is dumb, because initiating the reinstall happened through the recovery partition. So i know it's there. Or was at one point

Current disc partitions show as
160.04 GB GD
Macintosh HD

Disc 1
OSX install ESD

Disk2
OSX base system

is there a way to force it to install anyway, manually create the recovery partition, and/or wipe all partitions from disc and start fresh via netboot or something?

Currently in an install/reboot circuit, please advice. It doesn't loop automatically but its just about.

Please just try swapping the disk out.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

wolffenstein posted:

Can you still boot to the recovery partition with cmd+r while powering on the laptop?

Negatory.

If I had a second drive for testing, I would. Unfortunately, the one I was going to borrow fell through.

Thanks for the advice!

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I feel like most of my questions here (and in the Hardware thread) consist of: "I'm not sure which thread this is more appropriate in..."

And this is no exception.

Kernel Panics:
I got a new Retina iMac in January. It is awesome. It was rock solid for a handful of days and then I got new (more) Memory and put it in and got about 3 or 4 kernel panics in as many days. Got different Memory and it went away. All the same, in the last 6 months I've come in to my office to see my machine logged out and warning me of a Kernel Panic. I'd say it's happened 3 or 4 times in 6 months... if that.

Question 1: Is this worrisome? I only saw a K P like once or twice on my mid 2011 iMac. It may not be a big deal, but I saw it so rarely it's kind of this big scary thing.

Question 2: Any logs or places I should go look at these crashes to see (maybe?) what's causing them? (If it's even that straightforward/simple...)

Thanks! :)

pupdive
Jun 13, 2012

JetsGuy posted:

So I have a lot of large data files I want to share with a small group of people, which are too big to just throw up on dropbox.

Thanks!

I think your best bet is to use one of the cloud services. (and not DropBox, which specifically states it will disable accounts which are used in the way you are describing in its terms of service.)

GoogleDrive is free for 15 GBs. As is OneDrive*. And if you only need to have it up for a month or two both offer 100tb for $1.99 a month.) Of the two I prefer what OneDrive does with things on the other side.

I can just make a link, OneDrive has a built in shortener, (Google Drive doesn't) the link does not require a login (Google Drive does), and the OneDrive video viewer works better, which is surprising because YouTube is serving the GoogleDrive files

(If you run it on your own machine, and it is a 10gb file that fifty people are going to download you will have to upload half a terabyte of data.

If your internet connection is that good, then have at local hosting. I cannot imagine wanting to upload half a terabyte to simply serve the same file over and over.

(*Actually OneDrive gives a household 5TB a year for $99.00 with Office365)

pupdive fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jul 8, 2015

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Seems to have worked , thanks. First time I've ever needed to use a Combo update.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
Since this wasn't posted in the OP:
What's the current "correct" package manager?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

I like homebrew because it's pretty simple to set up and use, but I don't have any specific use for it other than as a quick way to grab some command line utility I want. I wouldn't be able to say whether it'll be compatible with what you need it for.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

I've been using macports for years but it's apparently turned into satan or something while I wasn't looking. I've yet to bother to switch. :effort:

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

carry on then posted:

I like homebrew because it's pretty simple to set up and use, but I don't have any specific use for it other than as a quick way to grab some command line utility I want. I wouldn't be able to say whether it'll be compatible with what you need it for.
On that note, Cakebrew is a nice front-end:

https://www.cakebrew.com

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
I used to use MacPorts, then tried Homebrew out on my last setup. I'm doing pretty simple stuff and they both worked, Homebrew just did poo poo a lot faster cause it downloaded and linked stuff vs compiling everything from source. There's also a few others when I looked around last but forget the pluses/minuses of those. Or their names.

JetsGuy posted:

Look into BitTorrent Sync as mentioned...not that I've used it before but it seems like a good use for it.

lord funk posted:

Supposedly killing some App Store/updater process(es) help :iiam:

TheParadigm posted:

I'd just guess the whole thing is hosed up and my suggestion would be to wipe the whole thing out, but you can't do that from the recovery partition cause that's part of the disk. If you can get a USB stick and an OS X image to boot and wipe/install from that'd probably be the way to go.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Just use brew, ports may as well be deprecated at this point. Compiling from source, what is this, Gentoo? brew rocks.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Rudix is the best if it has what you want.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Glad the consensus is as clear as it's ever been.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.

lord funk posted:

I had this when I was trying to update to 10.10.4 on my 2012 rMBP. What ended up working was killing all App Store processes, then delete the App Store cache (~/Library/Caches/com.apple.appstore), and then a full restart. If you still have that problem then it's worth giving that a shot, but YMMV.

spoon daddy
Aug 11, 2004
Who's your daddy?
College Slice

Pivo posted:

Just use brew, ports may as well be deprecated at this point. Compiling from source, what is this, Gentoo? brew rocks.

I use ports all the time, at this point I'd say well over 3/4 of the ports I install require no compiling so there's that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
i use brew or just compile from a download but i'm having second thoughts after the creator couldn't invert a tree