Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

mcmagic posted:

Shocks are in every single deck in modern other than Affinity and Tron...

Wrong...

They're also only in the decks they're in as 1 or 2-ofs...

And there's a lot more as they've been printed recently in normal sets...

Angry Grimace posted:

Its basic supply and demand. There's a shitload of shocks; they even had them in event decks.

Right, what he said...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

That said, if you really feel like speccing hard, you could always pick up a million playsets and sit on them for 4 years.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Count Bleck posted:

That said, if you really feel like speccing hard, you could always pick up a million playsets and sit on them for 4 years.

Yeah, you're not going to lose money as long as they're not reprinted but it's not suddenly going go up 5x in price like every other card in the format.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

When modern fails can they bring back extended

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

suicidesteve posted:

Wrong...

They're also only in the decks they're in as 1 or 2-ofs...

And there's a lot more as they've been printed recently in normal sets...

Right, what he said...

gently caress off don't you start doing it too

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Bread Set Jettison posted:

When modern fails can they bring back extended

Just like Legacy failing, right? :smaug:

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

No I just want extended. I have fond memories of extended before it sucked and havent found a deck I like in modern yet, not for a lack of trying.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Zoness posted:

I played the GBA duel masters game and goddamn light/water (dark splash) was pretty borked. I didn't get why two of the colors didn't get blockers and one color got unblockables and infinite bounce but I mean go figure. Like this was the base game and I don't think anything could easily beat ladia bale and if it did I'd just terror it or something dumb.

Also playing every copy of all the idiots that cantrip themselves.

In conclusion magic needs more cantrips.

Alternatively, just light with a buttload of increasingly large dudes to totally stall the board until your superior forces run everyone else over. Red and green decks were doubly hosed in the bonus dungeon of the original game, where the guys there all played some obnoxious blue decks with hate cards built in.

mcmagic posted:

Shocks are in every single deck in modern other than Affinity and Tron, kupo!

Merfolk. :v: Also, mono-green infect!

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

TheKingofSprings posted:

Doing what...

Edit: I like this better.

Ramos posted:

Merfolk. :v: Also, mono-green infect!

Also Amulet Bloom.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Edit: Bah.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

suicidesteve posted:

Doing what, kupo!

No, keep doing it. I'm honestly enjoying this.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

TheKingofSprings posted:

Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster... And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you...

Ramos posted:

No, keep doing it. I'm honestly enjoying this.

Yo link that browser extension in irc or pm it to me so i can set it up at home.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I remember 5 years ago when I started playing Moogle: The Gathering. Good times.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I look forward to it as a mini game for final fantasy 7 remix, the upcoming bestseller FF game.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Wizards you've solved the lands in front problem, now force posters to end their sentences properly...

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Count Bleck posted:

I eagerly await the one about DBZ.
There was a DBZ card game, dunno if it's still around (probably not). It was pretty garbage and the balance was awful; the "fighting styles" were different colors and if you only ran one color you got a bonus of some sort, I forget what. Your deck was your life and you had a character much like a commander in EDH but the characters had a power level so if your opponent had a higher power level you were at a pretty severe disadvantage right off the bat. Also one of the fighting styles was all about powering up really fast and then unloading it so it was kinda like playing ProsBloom except in one color & there was no real way to counter it. It wasn't bad to screw around with for a bit but it was pretty obvious it was trying to cash in on the pokemon TCG hype.

Fun story: It was right at the height of the pokemon and beanie baby booms, when everyone thought any card that was rare and sparkly would be a collector's item worth thousands one day and QVC was selling 1st edition Charizards for $500. A friend and I bought a starter deck and a couple packs for like $20 each, and I got the ultra-mega-7-star-hyper rare Goku in one of my packs. The guy running the "card shop" (he was always trying to turn it into any number of other stores at any given time) in my area bought it off me for $100. It then sat in the case with a $150 price tag until the store tanked.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Someone I know just put together a WoW TCG cube about a month ago and I've played with it a few times (but can't any more cause I just moved). WoW TCG is actually really cool and it's kind of sad that it died and is now Hearthstone.

Basically for everyone who has played Hearthstone (a shitload of people): if you imagine all the things Hearthstone did that weren't simplifications of Magic, and then added on all the things that Hearthstone did simplify from Magic, that's WoW TCG. Players start at ~25-30 life, depending on what class you're playing, there are instant speed abilities and spells, creatures have way more mechanics and have tap abilities and everything, but combat is still you tap a creature to attack a target creature or player, and damage is permanent. Instead of Taunt or blocking, WoW TCG uses the same mechanic Duel Masters/Kaijudo does where you have creatures with Protector and a Protector creature can tap to redirect any attack to it. Weapons exist, but so does equipment for all your other equipment slots, and they're way better than they are in Hearthstone. Instead of having limited uses, you pay mana and tap a weapon to give an amount of power to your hero, and then tap your hero to attack a creature. Alternatively, if you have power and a creature attacks you, they take that much damage. Which means if you have a 4 power weapon you can use it to kill a guy on your turn, or leave it up to prevent all your opponent's guys from attacking you. Accessory slots tend to be basically artifacts and enchantments, while armor has an armor value and can be tapped to prevent that amount of damage from one source hitting your hero.

Also I think it has the best resource system I've seen in a game based on Magic. Instead of lands and spells like Magic or guaranteed mana like Hearthstone, there are land cards (called Quests), but you can play any card face down as a land. Quests while face up act as a mana source, but you can pay some amount of mana to "complete" the quest, turning it face down and getting some effect. Usually they cantrip for 3 mana, and maybe you have to fulfill a specific conditon and pay 4 mana to draw 2 cards, or cantrip + some minor other effect if your hero is a Tauren for 3 mana, or whatever. So you're rewarded for drawing a mix of lands and spells, but you can still play the game fully without ever drawing a land, and if you draw all lands you'll not be doing much for a few turns but all your cards will draw into more cards.

Hero powers exist, but they're quite different from how they work in Hearthstone. Instead of being things you can use once per turn at sorcery speed, they are things you can use once per game at instant speed (they have the ability while face up, and when you use it you turn the hero face down where the card only shows their name/class/hp). Something like pay 2 mana once per game to shock a target, and your opponent also shocks a target of their choice. Of course there's variations on this, like heroes that have one minor ability on the front, then another bigger once per game ability on the back. Also a few heroes I saw don't have an ability but have a special passive buff to stuff and a crazy deckbuilding restriction. Instead of Hearthstone's classifying everything into two buckets: class card or neutral card, the deckbuilding restrictions are way more complex. You have cards only Alliance heroes can use, cards only Mages can use, cards only Restoration Druids can use, cards only Horde Warlocks can use, cards only "Traitor heroes" can use, etc. Most equipment is restricted to a set of classes instead of 1 class, like a sword might be usable by Warriors, Paladins, and Rogues.

Apparently the game got power creeped really bad, and the baseline for creatures is like Hearthstone where creature base stats that would be insane in Magic are nothing special (3/2 for 2 with no abilities is the Grizzly Bears of the game). For example, Al'Akir, which isn't really that good in Hearthstone, is a 7 mana 7/5 neutral creature that gives all air elementals shroud (including himself), and has "during your upkeep, make a 2/1 air elemental" and "tap an untapped air elemental: tap target creature." I lost to that in limited a few times and it was pretty stupid cause I could never attack it since he just tapped down whatever was a threat, and shroud made him immune to removal, then he just continually spawned air elementals that locked down my whole board until I died. I'm pretty sure Al'Akir was not even remotely close to playable in constructed, to give an idea about what the power level was like. Water Elemental (a good card in Hearthstone) was a card I heard was actually playable in control decks in constructed, and is a 3 mana 3/4 with T: deal 1 damage to all opposing creatures and players, those creatures and players can't attack this turn. Yes, a 3 mana 4 toughness pinger in a game where damage lasts forever and also happens to tap down your opponent's entire board while pinging all their guys every turn. Also there are a lot of cards like Lord Jaraxxus in HS, where they transform your hero into another hero, but they tend to have higher starting life than your normal starting life total where Jaraxxus has a lot less (so basically once you play them you can't really die unless you're horribly behind on board), and also they seem to do way more ridiculous things. I heard Deathwing was a constructed card at one point, and Deathwing costs 60 mana, reduced by 5 for each permanent you sac while casting him, has 40 life, 5 power on your turn, and during your upkeep each opponent sacs 2 permanents. Supposedly there were decks that could make a lot of tokens and turbo out Deathwing on turn 5 or something, and leave your opponent with 0 permanents very fast.

I mean obviously Hearthstone brings in way more players and is infinitely more accessible but it's kind of sad seeing this is the game Hearthstone used to be since it's basically if a Magic player saw Hearthstone and was like "why don't you have X" and the game actually had every possible X you could have wanted.

Ultima66 fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jul 7, 2015

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
This is probably silly, but Chief of the Foundry is too slow for modern Affinity, right?

Dies to bolt, and doesn't save anything from one either.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Yawgmoth posted:

There was a DBZ card game, dunno if it's still around (probably not). It was pretty garbage and the balance was awful; the "fighting styles" were different colors and if you only ran one color you got a bonus of some sort, I forget what. Your deck was your life and you had a character much like a commander in EDH but the characters had a power level so if your opponent had a higher power level you were at a pretty severe disadvantage right off the bat. Also one of the fighting styles was all about powering up really fast and then unloading it so it was kinda like playing ProsBloom except in one color & there was no real way to counter it. It wasn't bad to screw around with for a bit but it was pretty obvious it was trying to cash in on the pokemon TCG hype.

The DBZ card game lasted until the early 2000's where it was rebooted into DBGT, changing some of the base rules. That lasted like...two years, then the game died. It was recently remade by Panini and re-released a few months ago where it has properly died again.

Best non-Magic TCG was the VS System (until they printed the 3-drop Dr. Light and GLEE weenies became a thing).

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Yawgmoth posted:

It's back as of this year/late last year. This is the best card.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Rinkles posted:

This is probably silly, but Chief of the Foundry is too slow for modern Affinity, right?

Dies to bolt, and doesn't save anything from one either.

steel overseer does the exact same thing, except its a permanent boost and costs less

(of course master of etherium is the real comparison and Master is waaaaaaaaaaaay better then this card)

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

If you're looking to speculate on modern cards here are some I would recommend picking up before they shoot up in price, once they are not in print anymore:

Definitely:
Kolaghan's Command
Tasigur, the Golden Fang
Eidolon of the Great Revel
Siege Rhino

maybes:
Primeval Titan
Master of Waves

Kolaghan's Command in particular is low right now because it's in a set that is still currently drafted, I suspect once it is not getting opened up every other draft it will end up a $15 or more card. It's so, so good in Modern, particularly with Snapcaster and against Affinity, and I don't see either of those interactions going away anytime soon. I don't personally play Modern so I can't predict what new cards will be good in it but most of this list seems pretty low for how good they perform in Modern.

Modern as a format is pretty well established now, a lot of people have a lot of money invested in it. I am surprised how quickly certain staples (and certain nonstaples) have risen in price, but I guess that is a testament to the popularity of the format.

Lets Pickle fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jul 7, 2015

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Snacksmaniac posted:

It's back as of this year/late last year. This is the best card.

:allears:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

mandatory lesbian posted:

steel overseer does the exact same thing, except its a permanent boost and costs less

(of course master of etherium is the real comparison and Master is waaaaaaaaaaaay better then this card)

You have to untap with an overseer, though.

But MoE is basically this card but better, yeah.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Rinkles posted:

It is easier to untap with overseer once than keep the chief alive forever.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

For Origins cards, Demonic Pact also seems pretty low for a card that might actually do something. It might just be too slow to do anything in Modern but it is a very strong effect and printing one card that comboes with it could be enough to be the backbone of a deck. Certain rares in Origins also seem to point to the next block having an enchantment subtheme.

Pyromancer's Goggles is expensive, but also ridiculously powerful. It probably won't be very good in constructed, but the effect is good enough to watch out for.

Woodland Bellower is still pretty low for a card that searches your library for a creature and puts it into play.

Despoiler of Souls is $2 right now. Could be good?

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

I was a big fan of the WoW TCG very briefly when it first came out. Like you mentioned, I distinctly remember thinking the resource system was really sensible at the time, but for me a big part of what made it so attractive was the nature of making and piloting a deck. It captured the feeling of having a "main character" for the deck way better than Hearthstone or EDH or whatever else. You had a spell roster and equipment and allies that you used to deck your guy out with, and was just super strong thematically and actually was kind of reminiscent of a fight between a couple of WoW groups. I'm a complete sucker for a cohesive theme with decks, so it pulled me in hard up until around the first expansion or so, but it died quickly in my area and my interest went with it. I was really disappointed with how much Hearthstone pulled from it in terms of assets and basic ideas, but it didn't bring over any of the feel of the original. Granted, I was a WoW addict at the time, so it's hard in hindsight to remember if it actually was a mechanically sound game or if I was just really biased.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Gensuki posted:

It is easier to untap with overseer once than keep the chief alive forever.

That seems like a false dichotomy. Their effects are different, but the mana cost is very relevant. I imagine 1 mana anthem artifact creatures would be more busted than Overseers.

E:bleh, I thought Steel Overseer was cmc 1.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Rinkles posted:

i was being facetious comparing it to overseer :v:

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Rinkles posted:

That seems like a false dichotomy. Their effects are different, but the mana cost is very relevant. I imagine 1 mana anthem artifact creatures would be more busted than Overseers.

Overseer is a 2 mana 1/1 that counts itself for its anthems, Chief of the foundry is a 3 mana 2/3 that does not build itself.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Well, if punishing fire wasn't banned, one of them would be able to survive that while the other wouldn't. Unimportant now, but hey, you never know what might be unbanned in the future.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Rinkles posted:

It's not a false dichotomy because the slots for this kind of effect in fact are to play overseer. The point is this guy isn't remotely playable.

Ramos posted:

Well, if punishing fire wasn't banned, one of them would be able to survive that while the other wouldn't. Unimportant now, but hey, you never know what might be unbanned in the future.

Electrolyze and Izzet Staticaster are nonzero concerns wrt steel overseer but like they aren't really relevant if the affinty player is on the play ever or if said affinity player gets a turn 1 overseer. Forked Bolt exists but I don't think anyone plays it.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jul 7, 2015

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Zoness posted:

It's not a false dichotomy because the slots for this kind of effect in fact are to play overseer. The point is this guy isn't remotely playable.

I was wondering whether the comparison would be so cut and dry if their mana costs weren't different.

Of course he's not playable given there's a better version from Alara (I didn't remember).

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Count Bleck posted:

I just don't see either shocks or allied fetches blowing up the way they might have before we started seeing WOTC getting much more aggressive with reprints on Modern staples. Since Modern was announced pretty much every expensive staple card has been reprinted at least once. Except Serum Visions because reason.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Gensuki posted:

Overseer is a 2 mana 1/1 that counts itself for its anthems, Chief of the foundry is a 3 mana 2/3 that does not build itself.

Overseer's counters also work with Modular. So, that's A Thing.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Well the foil Goyf auction crashed and burned.

https://www.facebook.com/pascal.maynard/posts/10153459461101499

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

god dammit

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

No but you see it was clearly the wrong move to pass a card worth $15,000.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

B.L.R.E.A.M

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
who didn't see that one coming

• Locked thread