Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

armoredgorilla posted:

WAR is actually a great starting point for Dark Knight IMO. Their combos are pretty similar, but Dark Knight is much more active in its button pressing. And obviously you have to learn to manage the mana, but for me that all boils down to "Only use Dark Arts Soul Eater or spam Unleash when you're above 25% mana or when Blood Price is up". Make sure you get a Dark Art's threat combo in to start a boss, then your DPS should carry your threat the rest of the way.

Also, with all the defensive cooldowns you get, base class or cross classed, you can pretty much have a defensive rotation too, which can make life a lot easier on your healers for standard content.

DRK is much closer to Paladin with all of its oGCD abilities and the fact that it has Reprisal which is very similar to Shield Swipe. If you're gonna do DRK, do PLD first because Warrior is completely different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

Minrad posted:

I'm interested in feedback from people who hated old wm/gb and have tried the new one. Obviously you turn it off whenever you're moving, but it sounds like it addresses the other complaint where ogcd weaving was a pain in the rear end. Theoretically, now you just turn it off, rev up all your ogcd buffs, then immediately flick gb/wm back on and go stationary for max dips.

I haven't played with it enough yet to gauge the benefits but this change is pretty much exactly what I wanted from WM.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Kinda should level gladiator for flash and provoke also. If you play a tank without those skills people will make fun of you.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Someone did a really good post on getting your ilvl up to Alexander-ready levels:

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/3938468/blog/2342792/

Are there any good hunt linkshells that are available in Excalibur to join? Gotta get those seals going.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Conditional because there isn't a trap card. Yet :ninja:

Isn't that what Disable is supposed to be? :confused:

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
speaking of provoke i had a guy last night who kept provoking ravana during defensive optimization or w/ever so he could point kamehahas or whatever at the group

who does these things

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Are alexander items hunt upgradable?

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Tenzarin posted:

Are alexander items hunt upgradable?

No.

Calihan
Jan 6, 2008
Man, Alexander's theme music is weird as all hell but I have to admit, its growing on me.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

I'm such a dapper demon dragon dame, with my handy shotgun over the shoulder.

Unfortunately the MCH changes were pretty much the opposite of how I was hoping they'd fix this -- which was to just ratchet the proc bonuses way up so that, if the gameplay was gonna be RNG-based, we'd at least feel the boom when a good hit landed. Bards seem like they're in an okay spot and much less finicky, so might just keep shooting bows and singing at people. Maybe MCH will get some real love in 3.1.

Also I'm honestly torn between DRK and WAR for main tank job. I feel like I just want to focus on one to 60. Originally I was planning to level something for every role, but am coming to understand that there's a difference between being versatile and being genuinely good at something. :v:

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.
I don't think it makes sense to look at this as "MCH changes" since it's really more like "Wanderer's Minuet changes." The MCH equivalent of WM got adjusted too since they're basically the same skill but this seems directly intended to address the bard complaints Yoshi posted about last week.

Opposing Farce fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jul 7, 2015

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
i used to think i would have to choose between tanking and dragoon but as it turns out you just end up tanking a lot anyway.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

More fun at Alphinaud's expense.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

i used to think i would have to choose between tanking and dragoon but as it turns out you just end up tanking a lot anyway.

DRGTNK is a pretty good tank. Bloodbath & second wind are pretty handy for staying alive.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

pksage posted:

This needs to be posted every page:

There are other looting orders contingent on whether you're doing Savage Alex in 2 weeks and also if Savage Alex drops upgrade materials for NM Alex gear (considering it'll be normal Coil lockout, it'll probably be 1 token = 1 upgrade if that's the case) in which case you would want to push Hat/Gloves/Boots into the first three weeks. There's also the option to skip Chest tokens entirely for the first three weeks to rush Legs because you can get an Esoterics chest on week 4.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

SwissArmyDruid posted:

More fun at Alphinaud's expense.

To be fair, even at full scale, Al and Ar look a LOT alike.

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Make sure you're a good experience.
Is the Bolt (accessory) for clearing A1-A4 more likely a one-time thing or more likely repeatable? Like, is it tied to the plot quest that takes you through Alex in the first place (which suggests it's one-time)?

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Any links to the music from 3.1?

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

Gearhead posted:

To be fair, even at full scale, Al and Ar look a LOT alike.

it would be interesting if SE changed their models subtly over the course of the game as they grew up. theyre suppose to be 14 or something right?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Kuvo posted:

it would be interesting if SE changed their models subtly over the course of the game as they grew up. theyre suppose to be 14 or something right?

17, I think

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Verranicus posted:

Any links to the music from 3.1?

Places like BlueGartr tend to have datamining threads so if you asked around there or poked around a bit I'm sure something would be able to help with that

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

pksage posted:

Is the Bolt (accessory) for clearing A1-A4 more likely a one-time thing or more likely repeatable? Like, is it tied to the plot quest that takes you through Alex in the first place (which suggests it's one-time)?

1 time.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Kuvo posted:

They're like...20s? In actual years. Props to FFXIV for doing the long-lived elf thing but actually showing adults looking like scrawny kids.

Ultimately Alphinaud should double in height and quadruple in girth and grow a huge manly 'stache, embracing his destiny as a Muscle Wizard worth following.

This growth should naturally occur abruptly in a single content patch. Elf puberty, man.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

seiferguy posted:

I can't get over how much this armor set looks like the sage from FF3 :3:

What set is this I need it.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
The patch notes mentioning re-upping the Triple Triad tournament points given by NPCs. Can someone check the Gold Saucer and report back on their values?

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Mazed posted:

They're like...20s? In actual years. Props to FFXIV for doing the long-lived elf thing but actually showing adults looking like scrawny kids.

Ultimately Alphinaud should double in height and quadruple in girth and grow a huge manly 'stache, embracing his destiny as a Muscle Wizard worth following.

This growth should naturally occur abruptly in a single content patch. Elf puberty, man.

I thought they were 16? It makes sense for Alphinaud to be an arrogant teenager I think. I wish Alisaie was in the game more. She seems much cooler although maybe that's just because she's not around long enough to get annoyed at.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
She's female so naturally she is the angrier and more emotional of the twins.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Yeah but she was actually useful in saving the realm from Bahamut. Alphinaud hasn't done much more than tag along and gently caress things up with hubris.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Alphinaud is being an idiot kid fuckup is the running joke in the 3.0 story so far, at least the bits I've done

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Yeah, I guess teenagers would probably make sense. Just going by attitude, they come off as late-teens/early-twenties.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

When do Collectibles start giving scribs 56?

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
2.55 and general HW spoilers: I really unironically like how much everything blew up in Alphinaud's face, especially with respect to the Crystal Braves, since up until that point it seemed like a very common MMO sort of story-- the special NPC who everyone defers to for some reason and gets a cool army and a leadership role while the player is just a supporting character. Alphinaud was never as egregious as characters like Thrall or Trahearne from Guild Wars 2, but I definitely saw shades of them in him-- especially Trahearne and his Pact army paralleling the growth of the Crystal Braves.

Alphinaud's arc in HW where he comes to terms with his mistakes and arrogance and tries to pick up the pieces was super compelling as well.

Metallia
Sep 17, 2014

I'm not super jazzed about how much Alexander its gonna take to get a full set of gear but this is probably the best solution for long term, entry level raiding players so if it gets more people interested in a Savage Static that'll be nice

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

The cutscene that happens in the Churning Mists where everyone is solemnly sitting around the campfire before going to meet the white dragon at the Zenith reminded me so much of that opening scene to FFX. Anyone else get that feeling?

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!

Mordiceius posted:

The cutscene that happens in the Churning Mists where everyone is solemnly sitting around the campfire before going to meet the white dragon at the Zenith reminded me so much of that opening scene to FFX. Anyone else get that feeling?

A little! Mostly it just invoked We're On A Fantasy Adventure! to me, which is a good thing to invoke. I really like that the 3.0 story has you traveling around on a quest as part of an NPC party, classic FF style. It was very satisfying.

kojei
Feb 12, 2008
I keep finding myself wishing this game had the option to automatically switch to a cold-weather glamour set whenever I'm in Coerthas or whatever.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Fat_Cow posted:

When do Collectibles start giving scribs 56?

You have to go to Morrowind to get scribs.

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!

kharaa posted:

I keep finding myself wishing this game had the option to automatically switch to a cold-weather glamour set whenever I'm in Coerthas or whatever.

The power of the Echo infuses that tiny banana hammock with enough warmth for an entire Roegadyn male.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
If anyone else was wondering about the Golden Chocobo Feathers, i looked at the RAF page again, and it has been updated to say that certain items will be sent out after July 30th. So i guess we still have to wait for our Twintanias.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
I had the most incredible time healing tam tara for my low level roulette today. :allears:

She was just sort of randomly casting blizzard and fire. Obviously, she parsed comically low. (I did get a little snarky when I should have been patient, I'm only human.)

• Locked thread