Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TasogareNoKagi
Jul 11, 2013

Brannock posted:

I'm not saying that anyone in this thread has been doing that, but it's always bothered me that people so easily forget that there are people in this world that occupy a position so far in the stratosphere that their privilege and influence are practically invisible to us peasants down here (including to those "HENRY" people).

What is HENRY? My searches are just turning up dead Europeans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

TasogareNoKagi posted:

High Earner, Not Rich Yet.

Mniot
May 22, 2003
Not the one you know

De Nomolos posted:

It reeks of a cartoonist that came from Stamford, went to Columbia, lives in Manhattan, and who never associated outside their peer group.

Same sort of sheltered life as the "how'd Nixon win? No one I know voted for him" woman.

From The illustrator's blog:

quote:

As usual with these assignments, I'm given a bare outline of what is needed (ie: single mom with two kids, retired couple, etc) and little, if any of the actual copy that will accompany them... and when I eventually saw the article, my jaw dropped at the salaries assigned to each of these people. They obviously didn't base them on illustrator's salaries.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

TasogareNoKagi posted:

"High Earning, Not Rich Yet"

I actually know one such HENRY who works for BoA. He whines about how he's overtaxed and how he doesn't have enough money to spend despite living in San Francisco and vacationing in Napa or Tahoe every other weekend.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

FMguru posted:

That was always my sense of the man. Not dumb, just not willing to put my intellectual effort into anything and preferring to rely on his gut instinct.

To be fair, you really don't need to get into the habit of intellectual curiosity when yo come from that sort of family.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

"High Earning, Not Rich Yet"

I actually know one such HENRY who works for BoA. He whines about how he's overtaxed and how he doesn't have enough money to spend despite living in San Francisco and vacationing in Napa or Tahoe every other weekend.
They're the people who are always being featured in the NYT's Style section, as examples of how hard it is to make a go of it in Manhattan on only $400,000/yr. Do you know how much it costs to stable my daughter's polo pony?

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

FMguru posted:

IIRC Indiana still has a fair amount of auto manufacturing, doesn't it? That kind of talk must've gone over real well with that state's voters.

Oh, for sure. Outside of a handful of finance and insurance companies, a couple biotech/pharmaceutical companies, and the things that show up on every state's largest employers list, (Walmart 'n Pals, federal government, etc) Indiana's largest employers consist entirely of the Big 3, companies that supply the Big 3, and Japanese auto makers that depend on the supply chain that the disappearance of the Big 3 would seriously disrupt. The Big 3 going under would wholly and utterly destroy Indiana's economy. Voters here know that, and it absolutely played a huge role in Obama winning it in 2008.

That also led to my favorite Republicans-cutting-off-their-nose-to-spite their-face moment: When our AG filed suit to stop the bailout because it meant that the state employee pension fund would lose whatever small percentage of its total holdings were in Chrysler stock. :suicide:

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Joementum posted:

Explosive, if true.

I agree Huckabee, we shouldn't bomb Iran, it would be a very bad idea. All we would end up doing is killing thousands if not hundreds of thousands of innocent Iranians and leaving the country a destabilized hellhole like Iraq is, possibly making it more likely for extremists to take over.

...Oh wait, that's not what you mean.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Trump, doubling down on making the GOP subtext into plain text

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

fade5 posted:

I agree Huckabee, we shouldn't bomb Iran, it would be a very bad idea. All we would end up doing is killing thousands if not hundreds of thousands of innocent Iranians and leaving the country a destabilized hellhole like Iraq is, possibly making it more likely for extremists to take over.

...Oh wait, that's not what you mean.

I was just guessing he was not a fan of John Mccains singing voice

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=o-zoPgv_nYg

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
I was hoping for more crazy funny than crazy scary, either way: the GOP delivers.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

WSJ editorialists were visualizing something like this,

weren't they?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Book sales, ranked:

One Nation, by Ben Carson: 362,813 (this is more than the rest combined)
God, Guns, Grits, and Gravy, by Mike Huckabee: 65,939
An American Son, by Marco Rubio: 36,786
Fed Up!, by Rick Perry: 27,264
Midas Touch, by Donald Trump: 21,424
Leadership and Crisis, by Bobby Jindal: 20,080
Unintimidated, by Scott Walker: 19,096
Government Bullies, by Rand Paul: 10,818
The Tea Party Goes To Washington, by Rand Paul: 10,778
American Dreams, by Marco Rubio: 7,807 hardcover copies sold
Taking a Stand, by Rand Paul: 7,795
American Patriots, by Rick Santorum: 6,831
Bella’s Gift, by Rick Santorum: 6,112
Immigration Wars, by Jeb Bush: 4,905
Blue Collar Conservatives, by Rick Santorum: 3,919
Rising to the Challenge, by Carly Fiorina: 2,620

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Link doesn't appear to work for me.

Still, I hope Trump succeeds, such that even when he's a distant memory the overt racism he's injected (well, revealed) in the GOP's image sticks around and haunts them. I'm almost disappointed that the Democrats haven't really jumped on this, I understand not wanting to distract Trump from brawling with the other Republicans but it seems like this'd be the perfect time to start pushing immigration points. The Republicans would be hamstrung in their response by trying to refute immigration reform without being lumped in with Trump's racist screeds.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Here's a fixed link to that article

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Joementum posted:

Book sales, ranked:

I recall an article in the 2012 cycle about how campaigns would buy up a lot of the candidates' books to drive up the sales number and give away as gifts/prizes. Do these numbers account for that? Like, has Rick Santorum sold 4,000 books to 4,000 real people, or has he sold 13 books to 13 people and the rest to Foster Friess?

pig slut lisa fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jul 7, 2015

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Today's most lol-worthy bit of news

quote:

Mitt Romney isn’t a presidential a candidate this time, but his schedule is suddenly crammed with those who are — as the 2012 Republican nominee eagerly injects himself into the 2016 race.

The former Massachusetts governor, who spent Fourth of July week at his Wolfeboro, New Hampshire home, swung east to Maine on Monday for lunch with Jeb Bush, just three days after hosting Chris Christie and Marco Rubio for a sleepover.

It’s enough that some who are close to the candidates are wondering about Romney’s agenda.

Romney allies insist the onetime GOP stalwart isn’t vetting candidates for an endorsement, rather he’s embracing a newfound role he plans to play until the party elevates a presumptive nominee: political tutor.
http://www.politico.com/story/2015/07/mitt-romney-2016-mentor-119786.html#ixzz3fE9FF3vv

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
I think they should have a debate where the 2012 clown SUV joins in

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

rear end cobra posted:

I think they should have a debate where the 2012 clown SUV joins in

You mean Thad McCotter's ice cream truck?

If so, :agreed:

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Rumors from the Washington Times and Reason.com (lol) that Biden is running next month. I don't buy it, but idiots on the predictive market sure did.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Aliquid posted:

Rumors from the Washington Times and Reason.com

yeah sure.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
I don't get why people think Biden is gonna jump in, his kid just died, Hillary still draws breath and Bernie, O'Malley and tbf Jim Webb have already staked out the non-Hillary positions.

e: oh and I guess Chaffee has staked out the 'I exist' position

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Presumably it's actually for an endorsement though (for whatever that's worth)? I can't imagine anyone actually want's Romney's advise on campaigning.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
The only reason Biden would run would be to fill the gap if Hillary's campaign tanks for some reason. There currently isn't a second place candidate (sorry Bernailures) and he'd be perfect, but with all the poo poo he's been going through I'd be amazed if he wanted to torture himself with more time in the Executive.

And besides, he wants to be able to drive his old Corvette.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Joementum posted:

You mean Thad McCotter's ice cream truck?

If so, :agreed:

What is this monstrosity? Is he really using an ice cream truck to court children (who cant, ya know...vote) and did anyone tell him it's dangerous to drive with all that crap on the windshield?

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Yeah I get the vibe that Biden is pretty close to being done with politics. He's had a hard family life, and still done a pretty good job as VP.

The only reason I would even want to see him run is to give another smack-down during the debates like he did with Ryan.

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012
I've seen rumblings about Biden declaring too, I think on Politico and a couple other places. It does seem a bit unlikely given how rapidly things are developing on the Democratic side of things, but then again that's probably just my perspective as someone who's paying attention to a primary race more than a year before the election. Certainly he's got a lot of structural advantages working for him as a sitting VP, he could probably make a decent run of it if he wanted to.

Which might be the more salient question, really: Does he want to? Lord knows he's had to put up with enough suffering in his life. I wouldn't wish the Presidency on him after all that, but maybe he feels differently about it.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
How about a Clinton/Biden ticket? :D

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Though they don't align at all on policy, imo Sanders and Biden overlap a lot in demographic support (white retirees and students). The tinfoil on my head says he could run to take some pressure off Clinton.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

Mordiceius posted:

How about a Clinton/Biden ticket? :D

Diamond Joe needs a new sidekick now that Worm has gone to that big poker game in the sky, Bill would be a great replacement.

Abner Cadaver II
Apr 21, 2009

TONIGHT!

Supraluminal posted:

Which might be the more salient question, really: Does he want to? Lord knows he's had to put up with enough suffering in his life. I wouldn't wish the Presidency on him after all that, but maybe he feels differently about it.

If he wanted to I think he would've announced long before now. I'm betting he's either looking at Secretary of Something, returning to the Senate, or a comfy retirement.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
"Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad" ~ Rand, probably.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Joementum posted:

A military exercise where they practice combat tactics?! :monocle: Well, I never!

But seriously though, what the gently caress do these people expect? The military has to train. To do that, they run exercises. How do you jump from that to "OBAMA IS GOING TO USE THE MILITARY TO BECOME A GODKING"

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

The nation is gullible, but not you internet whacko!

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

Abner Cadaver II posted:

If he wanted to I think he would've announced long before now. I'm betting he's either looking at Secretary of Something, returning to the Senate, or a comfy retirement.

He's from PA, it'd be cool if he ran for Toomey's seat.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Joementum posted:

He should do a google search of Pineland and maybe do 2 minutes of reading to realize just exactly what Green Beret training is and what exactly they do.

Because holy poo poo how are people this dumb.

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012

Joementum posted:

The fact that this is a real thing that more than a handful of lunatic crazy whackadoos are worried about is completely insane. God, please let Texas secede already.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Nonsense posted:

The nation is gullible, but not you internet whacko!

*is being forcefully removed from press conference*

INFOWARS.COM! INFOWARS.COM!!!!!

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Joementum posted:

Book sales, ranked:

I know he's not running, but I'm really curious how Noted War Criminal and American Ronin Allen West's book sales compare to these.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Supraluminal posted:

The fact that this is a real thing that more than a handful of lunatic crazy whackadoos are worried about is completely insane. God, please let Texas secede already.

I just for a moment want to bask in the thought of Texas no longer being part of the United States....

Republicans would never win another presidential election.

• Locked thread