Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

actually, the military screen is really quite simple, you just *lists like 30 things, mentions that doing anything beyond those 30 exact things might gently caress things up*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
For a one man effort, and a man with rather idiosyncratic views on things, DF does a lot of things in ways that are so interesting and dynamic that it kind of ruins the fun in a lot of sandbox style games I've played. The whole rule-based universe the game makes, where things happen rather indirectly (like a rock falling on someone; in most games, itd be the rock would do x HP damage based on Y height which can lead to death due to low HP, in DF its the rock doing damage based on weight (based on material density and mass), height, and the damage is based on force applied to various body parts comprised of various materials, which can lead to death due to trauma to the brain or a vital organ or pulping) gives a lot more room for the unexpected poo poo or the creative problem solving, or conversely it can lead to wonderful failure cascades where in other games the systems at play may be too isolated to really impact each other enough to cause a real, interesting crisis.

Of course its a completely insane way to design a game system that leads to absolute unmitigated clusterfucks of problems and slowdown, but still, its an insanity I can appreciate.

That and what other game can brag that you can beat someone with their deceased father's arms and, through a series of abstract social and psychological systems, determine that they should be traumatized and cry? Many games claim to allow such things but they're done with simple scripts or clever tricks, and are unable to answer questions such as "how much will it actually hurt" or "will they be a traumatized if it was their own arm instead" with any muster.

Tiler Kiwi fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Jul 2, 2015

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Oh, it's summer again.

quote:

Mission Status

:smugdog: We asked you if you wanted to be our patron on Patreon and so many of you agreed that it is just plain amazing. Maybe they were right and a video game can be a work of art. Your generosity for our project hasn't gone unnoticed. We have doubled our efforts to bring you the quality Beyond Quality that you have learned to expect. Without your gifts, Bay 12 and Dwarf Fortress would not exist!

Congratulations to the generous!
:coolspot:

quote:

Fun with Numbers

:frogc00l: Thanks for helping out in June. Like last time, the numbers were evenly split between Paypal and Patreon, but everything was a bit higher, so it was a good month! We should have our first adventure mode performers trying their very best to entertain the community in a few days. Are your stories, poem, songs and dances masterful enough to impress random strangers on the street? Only one way to find out!

Jun: $5520.39
May: $4058.53

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

scamtank posted:

Oh, it's summer again.

:coolspot:

Yeah I throw Toady $4 on Patreon every month. It's a pittance but with so many people doing it I feel like I'm helping :3:

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

Excelzior posted:

pretty sure the criticism just bounces off him like a spinning basalt on a ☼steel breastplate☼ anyways

Eh, I don't think Toady is nearly as terrible as this thread would lead you to believe. I used to listen to the various DFtalk segments they used to do, and it sounds like he has somewhat of a better understanding about what his game is than some people seem to think. Obviously he's still insane because hes undertook the idea of DF as a project, but it seems like he is aware of the more realistic concerns regarding the game and does make an effort towards fixing them.

Edit:

TildeATH posted:

Pretty sure you're allowed to criticize Tarn Adams here.
Yes, you do completely have the freedom to post whatever criticism you want. He also has the freedom to criticize any criticisms you have as well. I don't mean to come off like a dick here, but Freedom of Speech goes both ways here.

VerdantSquire fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Jul 2, 2015

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

VerdantSquire posted:

Eh, I don't think Toady is nearly as terrible as this thread would lead you to believe. I used to listen to the various DFtalk segments they used to do, and it sounds like he has somewhat of a better understanding about what his game is than some people seem to think. Obviously he's still insane because hes undertook the idea of DF as a project, but it seems like he is aware of the more realistic concerns regarding the game and does make an effort towards fixing them.

The thing about Toady is that he was a math professor that just kind of thought making games sounded cool. He made DF so him and his brother had the game they wanted to play and has said that he'd be working on it even if nobody paid him to. He released it free on the internet because "well maybe somebody else will like it." Next thing he knows people are literally just throwing money at him and his response was "OK I guess this is my living now. Cool." Pretty sure he also said that it suits him because he isn't very social and this means he doesn't need to really interact with people much.

I mean good for him, you know? He's making something that a poo poo load of people like and it sounds like he's pretty happy with his life.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
I'm pretty sure nobody picks on Toady for personal reasons.

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The thing about Toady is that he was a math professor that just kind of thought making games sounded cool. He made DF so him and his brother had the game they wanted to play and has said that he'd be working on it even if nobody paid him to. He released it free on the internet because "well maybe somebody else will like it." Next thing he knows people are literally just throwing money at him and his response was "OK I guess this is my living now. Cool." Pretty sure he also said that it suits him because he isn't very social and this means he doesn't need to really interact with people much.

I mean good for him, you know? He's making something that a poo poo load of people like and it sounds like he's pretty happy with his life.

Oh yeah, I totally understand and agree with you here. I'm just saying this because from what I've heard about (and from) Toady, it does sound like he has some concerns over stuff like usability issues or how fun some of the mechanics are, so it kind of annoys me when people go on about how he doesn't even care about any of that kind of stuff and just wants to make more absurd simulators without thinking about stuff like bug-fixing in this thread from time to time.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Building simulations is a lot of fun; debugging and optimization are miserable. Developing Dwarf Fortress was his hobby before it was his job so I can't really blame him for not wanting to ruin that, even though stricter and more regular optimization passes are the #1 thing I want from DF.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
I started using the Lazy Newb pack with Soundsense and i was having a grand old time, after about a year and a couple of months i saved and it crashed. Now every time i try to load up the save it crashes again. Is this a normal thing with latest release? Is there any way to recover it or avoid this happening? I hadn't turned on season autosaves yet cause i hadn't remembered that that was a thing.

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
Do the Toady Dance!

07/06/2015 Toady One posted:

Adventurer performances are underway. Right now, the option is grouped with starting conversations, but instead of shouting or praying, you can begin a performance. Then you can choose between stories, poems, music and dancing. Your character begins knowing the basic art forms of their culture (more depending on skill selections as well), and they can also tell stories about any historical event that they know (there are groupings and filters to help a bit with the number of choices). You can be anywhere when you decide to begin a performance (it'll warn you if there isn't room to perform a dance). Once you start a performance, an activity is created which will allow other people to join in either as another performer (for certain dances and music) or a spectator. It's subject to change based on how it feels, but right now, it breaks into your performance every 10 moves or so to give you a chance to do something. As we get more reactions and options, we'll hopefully move to a stage where you just maintain control the whole time and do meaningful things as you perform. It's an interesting problem but we won't get to explore it much this time.

The release is almost here, sounds like.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

Dongattack posted:

I started using the Lazy Newb pack with Soundsense and i was having a grand old time, after about a year and a couple of months i saved and it crashed. Now every time i try to load up the save it crashes again. Is this a normal thing with latest release? Is there any way to recover it or avoid this happening? I hadn't turned on season autosaves yet cause i hadn't remembered that that was a thing.

Soundsense just reads from the game log, so it wasn't what caused the game to crash. Unfortunately it sounds like your save got corrupted if it is crashing when you load it. Try turning save compression off (Advanced -> Compress Saves: NO). That won't be able to recover your lost save, but might help prevent further ones from getting corrupt. Otherwise if it is crashing a few moments of game-time after loading up, it could be one of the many wonderful gamecrashing bugs. I tend to get them when trying to place constructions. It happens, unfortunately. Seasonal autosaves are pretty much required. If you have DFhack open, the quicksave command is also useful (saves like an autosave, without going back to the main menu).

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

GenericOverusedName posted:

Soundsense just reads from the game log, so it wasn't what caused the game to crash. Unfortunately it sounds like your save got corrupted if it is crashing when you load it. Try turning save compression off (Advanced -> Compress Saves: NO). That won't be able to recover your lost save, but might help prevent further ones from getting corrupt. Otherwise if it is crashing a few moments of game-time after loading up, it could be one of the many wonderful gamecrashing bugs. I tend to get them when trying to place constructions. It happens, unfortunately. Seasonal autosaves are pretty much required. If you have DFhack open, the quicksave command is also useful (saves like an autosave, without going back to the main menu).

Cheers! Didn't know about the quicksave feature.

Man, i swear every time i've played this game the last two years i've had fortresses that have ample supplies of copper and VAST VAAAAAAAST amounts of gold and silver, but not a single drop of iron. Same with this fort, checked with DFhack and "reveal" to make sure. I just wanna make good weapons and armor :negative:
How viable is it to trade gold items for iron to make steel with? Will the traders bring a lot of i max out my demand for iron? What should i turn the gold into to trade for?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Dongattack posted:

How viable is it to trade gold items for iron to make steel with? Will the traders bring a lot of i max out my demand for iron? What should i turn the gold into to trade for?
Traders will bring loads of iron if you buy a lot of it and ask for a lot of it. Same goes for steel. Pretty much anything made of gold will be worth plenty in trade; just poo poo out a bunch of gold goblets if you want to keep things simple.

And don't forget you can buy iron/steel objects and melt them down for bars!

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Yeah the last release or two seem to have made iron and coal just way harder to find, I don't know what's up there.

I haven't checked in a while, is FPS still a huge problem on maps larger than 1x1 with plants?

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Dongattack posted:

Cheers! Didn't know about the quicksave feature.

Man, i swear every time i've played this game the last two years i've had fortresses that have ample supplies of copper and VAST VAAAAAAAST amounts of gold and silver, but not a single drop of iron. Same with this fort, checked with DFhack and "reveal" to make sure. I just wanna make good weapons and armor :negative:

if you don't care about balance and want to hack it, you can go into the raws and cause magnetite to spawn in more / all layer types, and could make more / all stone types count as flux stone. this will only affect worlds you generate after, not any that already exist.

e: or, just trade all that gold for iron / pig iron / limestone like a good captain of industry would, & arm everybody with obsidian swords

Muscle Tracer fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Jul 7, 2015

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

Iunnrais posted:

The release is almost here, sounds like.

Or at least, that's provided he doesn't decide to throw in the procedurally generated tavern games onto this release as well. And despite how cool that sounds, I'm really hoping he either makes that stuff a separate release or shoves it onto the non-player artifact release, because it has been a while and I'm really eager to start playing this new release.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Thanks again! Here's hoping they actually come back next year seeing as the entire trading caravan was decimated by a weremammoth. DWARF FORTRESS

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you

Flesh Forge posted:

Yeah the last release or two seem to have made iron and coal just way harder to find, I don't know what's up there.

I haven't checked in a while, is FPS still a huge problem on maps larger than 1x1 with plants?

I don't know what magic my laptop is doing since it doesn't have great processing power or anything, but I've never had a FPS problem with plants. My big bottleneck is always creatures in general, and flying creatures in particular. So to some extent it seems up to luck? I did skip a release though, so maybe I would have had even better FPS with the last one.

Budget Dracula
Jun 6, 2007

What are you supposed to do if your dwarves wont haul away corpses and other items that are making them puke all over the fortress? I have both a refuse and corpse stockpile outside but something keeps making them horrified and sick.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

Iunnrais posted:

Do the Toady Dance!

Roleplaying a decrepit grandpa who talks only in long-winded bullshit stories from the ancient past: confirmed

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
If there are no kobolds/goblins in the civ list on the world info screen while im in a save, will i still get ambushes/invasions? Things are really quiet, but i'm hoping my mass production of gold things will spark some interest.

edit: wiki says no, ugh i always forget something and have to restart after several hours

Dongattack fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Jul 8, 2015

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Kobolds don't show up in site selection. Goblins will be listed as neighbors if they are that when you pick a site. The trade agreements / relations screen, I'm pretty sure other civilisations aren't added to it until you encounter them at your fort. Like you won't be able to see what's up with the humans until their caravan shows up.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

You can see whether or not they'll send traders/invasions before embarking though.

e: yes I realize this is pretty much what you said dur

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

Why would you ever want to control your character dancing or playing a musical instrument in a text-based videogame? :doh: I mean, this whole game is only made possible by Toady's cute insanity but sometimes he goes too far even for his own standards.

EDIT:

You do a step, step, triple step. The Peasant steps away from you, spinning under your arm. What do you do now?

markus_cz fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Jul 8, 2015

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

markus_cz posted:

EDIT:

You do a step, step, triple step. The Peasant steps away from you, spinning under your arm. What do you do now?

Claim the site for the Dancing Apples and start the spree.

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

markus_cz posted:

Why would you ever want to control your character dancing or playing a musical instrument in a text-based videogame?

So you can dance the dance of war before you kill a bunch of goblins.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I'm crazy hype for the dancing update.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

markus_cz posted:

Why would you ever want to control your character dancing or playing a musical instrument in a text-based videogame? :doh: I mean, this whole game is only made possible by Toady's cute insanity but sometimes he goes too far even for his own standards.

EDIT:

Pretty sure it's going to be more passive and not dance dance revolution.

I mean you can play an instrument in Cataclysm and in Liberal Crime Squad which are both ASCII and it's fine :shrug:

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

markus_cz posted:

Holding the peasant's forearm tightly, drop into a forward roll and drag the peasant backwards, hard, onto the ground. As he hits, smash my elbow back hard into the side of his throat.

loving peasants.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
One of the coolest things in Dwarf Fortress i think are the fights, is there a utility i can use to monitor in real time what happens in a fight? Except Announcement Filter that comes with the Lasy Newb Pack, if i enable combat there it get's really spammy and the text scrolling breaks, but something like that sure.

Dongattack fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jul 8, 2015

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Dongattack posted:

One of the coolest things in Dwarf Fortress i think are the fights, is there a utility i can use to monitor in real time what happens in a fight? Except Announcement Filter that comes with the Lasy Newb Pack, if i enable combat there it get's really spammy and the text scrolling breaks, but something like that sure.

SoundSense does that as a sort of unintended side product. It's a separate monochrome window, but it's better than constantly pausing and hitting R.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

scamtank posted:

SoundSense does that as a sort of unintended side product. It's a separate monochrome window, but it's better than constantly pausing and hitting R.

Ooo, nice.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Streetcredlog

Toady One posted:

Personal reputation as an artist (of the various kinds) is in now. Due to the way reputation has been handled, it's currently based on live performance incident reports (making it based on what people have read will take more work). People can speak about performances they have seen (or taken part in or just heard about), and then offer their opinion according to the skill of the performers (if they saw it), their general beliefs about the arts, etc. You can also talk about your own performances if you want -- I told the story of the founding of the city to one shopkeeper, and then went to the next shop and told that shopkeeper about how great my oration was, and she told me how much she appreciates eloquence. I'm sure it was a pleasure talking to me. In any case, we should get to a few practical artistic reputation effects before the release.

It was terrifying
-- Anvilhandles Gazette

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Olem Daggerhelm has been ecstatic lately; she recently gave a masterful review. She recently viewed a mediocre performance.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
Good, now I can sing a song about a song I sung and recreate Tenacious D's "Tribute". Truly Dwarf Fortress stands alone among games.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I can picture dwarves getting a mood and doing a piece about basically "OMG FUNNY REACTION VID TO GOATSE"

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

PublicOpinion posted:

Good, now I can sing a song about a song I sung and recreate Tenacious D's "Tribute". Truly Dwarf Fortress stands alone among games.

"This is not the song that slew the night creature; this is just a tribute the real song was so much better"

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Dwarf Fortress: I'm sure it was a pleasure talking to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Worst. Dance. EVER.
-Urist McComicBookGuy