Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

I know he's not running, but I'm really curious how Noted War Criminal and American Ronin Allen West's book sales compare to these.

Well, he has no campaign to buy them, so... :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Thump! posted:

He should do a google search of Pineland and maybe do 2 minutes of reading to realize just exactly what Green Beret training is and what exactly they do.

Because holy poo poo how are people this dumb.

Can't wait for a "Millenium Challenge" narrative to play out, then get debunked a decade later after the zeitgeist changed.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Yadoppsi posted:

Household median is $45,016. Median for a single person is $32,140.

Edit: looks like those numbers come from the 2003 census. May be different now.

At the time of that article's writing, household median income was $51,324. An individual was $42,693. So the infographic is still showing people earning 3.5-13 times what the average American is. Within the realm of 'you may know 1-2 people in this bracket', but still obviously highly deceptive when discussing tax rates.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I'm a bit late to the map discussion, but I want to say that it's silly to obsess over individual states while assuming the general situation stays the same as it is now. The Democrats are guaranteed to win the White House in 2016 if there's no economic or security problems, and no major scandals. But if something bad happens and it's Obama's fault, that's a factor outside Hillary Clinton's control that could give the Republicans a huge shift. In that scenario, the Republicans win Florida, they win Nevada, they win Wisconsin, they can go as far as winning Oregon. Instead of wasting time speculating on maps based on the current situation, the question is: How likely is it that something big enough to sway turnout significantly happens before the election?

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Chamale posted:

I'm a bit late to the map discussion, but I want to say that it's silly to obsess over individual states while assuming the general situation stays the same as it is now. The Democrats are guaranteed to win the White House in 2016 if there's no economic or security problems, and no major scandals. But if something bad happens and it's Obama's fault, that's a factor outside Hillary Clinton's control that could give the Republicans a huge shift. In that scenario, the Republicans win Florida, they win Nevada, they win Wisconsin, they can go as far as winning Oregon. Instead of wasting time speculating on maps based on the current situation, the question is: How likely is it that something big enough to sway turnout significantly happens before the election?

You want someone to give you a forecast chance for a black swan event? Sure, it's .07%. That number is definitely based on things.

Seriously though, that's a preposterous request. No one can give you that with anything remotely resembling accuracy.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001
I was on vacation up at Willoughby Lake in Vermont's NEK until late yesterday so apologies if I missed this in the 1000+ pages I skipped over to get caught up, but according to the ace reporters at Seven Day, there's been some suspicious activity taking place UVM's Baily Howe Library.

Study Hall, Seven Days, 01-08 July 2015 Vol. 20 No. 43 posted:

Librarians at the University of Vermont's special collections say interest has spiked in the "Bernard Sanders papers" -- 30 boxes of meticulously organized material documenting Sanders' eight years as mayor of Burlington. That should come as no surprise, give the independent senator's rise in the polls in New Hampshire and Iowa, which hold the nation's first presidential nominating contests.

Media outlets, such as the Guardian, have drilled deep into the archives and unearthed tasty tidbits -- but they're not the only ones interested in getting to know the senator. Last Tuesday, two casually dressed twentysomethings were spotted combing through the Sanders files and decades-old Vermont newspapers. As they were on their way out the door, Seven Days asked them what they were doing. "No comment," said one of the young men, dressed in a T-shirt and flannel. "No comment."

As they emerged into the sunlight outside Baily/Howe Library, Seven Days pressed again: "Come on! We're all doing the same thing."

"No, we're not," Flannel Man shot back.

"We're just looking," said the other one, dressed in a white shirt with black stripes.

"Looking at what?"

"Old newspapers," Stripy said. "Vermont history."

So who were these mysterious characters? Opposition researchers working for one of Sanders' rivals? Earlier that day a super PAC supporting former Maryland governor Martin O'Malley launched the first negative ad of the race targeting Sanders. Asked if Team O'Malley had dispatched Flannel Man and Stripy to Burlington, campaign spokeswoman Liz Smith said, "We have not, and they are not affiliated with our campaign."

But wait! Here's a clue: That T-shirt Flannel man was wearing? It read, "New Hampshire for Jean Shaheen." Earlier this year, Hillary Clinton absorbed much of Shaheen's political operation to run her Granite State campaign: state director Mike Vlacich, senior political aide Kari Thurman and spokesman Harrell Kirstein. Asked if Flannel Man and Stripy belonged to Team Clinton, Kirstein did not respond.

Welcome to Burlington, Hillary. Next time, tell your people to leave their Shaheen shirts at home.

:tinfoil:

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

From what I know of past presidential elections, we'll more or less know the eventual winner around June-August 2016. At that point, votes are pretty much locked in barring the mythical October Surprise.

Bob Ojeda
Apr 15, 2008

I AM A WHINY LITTLE EMOTIONAL BITCH BABY WITH NO SENSE OF HUMOR

IF YOU SEE ME POSTING REMIND ME TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
As others have pointed out in the past, whoever wins the popular vote is probably going to win the election.

I mean, you want to talk about needing a six-point swing - well, a six-point swing from the 2012 popular vote puts you at like R 51 / D 48. That's basically just a solid Republican victory. So I find it difficult to believe that the map particularly matters either way. If the popular vote goes against the Democrats, the states that need to be in play for a Republican victory will be in play.

I think the map does give Democrats a marginal advantage in situations where the popular vote ends up extremely close. And that's meaningful, but it's not the same as a structural problem for Republicans generally.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Litany Unheard posted:

At that point, votes are pretty much locked in barring the mythical October Surprise.

October Surprise: Hillary murdered Vince Foster.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

fool_of_sound posted:

Presumably it's actually for an endorsement though (for whatever that's worth)? I can't imagine anyone actually want's Romney's advise on campaigning.

quote:

“The one thing that helps more than anything else is having done it before,” the source said. “Mitt knows better than anybody what it’s like to win and to lose the nomination. They all trust him. It’s very unusual to have somebody of his ilk you can call on. We didn’t have an ally of that stature to help us, particularly in the summer of ‘12.”

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2015/07/mitt-romney-2016-mentor-119786.html#ixzz3fEiISARs

YMMV

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

CNN Clinton interview is on at 5 ET and then repeated at 8 ET

Bob Ojeda
Apr 15, 2008

Well, that quote looks it's coming from the Romney camp, so yes, I'm sure that's what Romney would like everyone to think.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Relentlessboredomm posted:

You want someone to give you a forecast chance for a black swan event? Sure, it's .07%. That number is definitely based on things.

Seriously though, that's a preposterous request. No one can give you that with anything remotely resembling accuracy.

But it's also the only thing that really could sway this election. Here's a list of possible black swan events that could give the election to the Republicans:

- Big Obama scandal
- Big Hillary scandal
- Economy goes into recession
- Economic meltdown
- Major terrorist attack
- Iran gets a nuke
- Hillary dies

I think talking about whether events like that could sway the election would have more predictive power than poring over possible maps.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

To be fair, Romney is a pretty good example of what not to do in an election. I'm sure the Republican candidates can learn a lot from his failures.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Chamale posted:

But it's also the only thing that really could sway this election. Here's a list of possible black swan events that could give the election to the Republicans:

- Big Obama scandal
- Big Hillary scandal
- Economic meltdown
- Major terrorist attack
- Iran gets a nuke
- Hillary dies

I think talking about whether events like that could sway the election would have more predictive power than poring over possible maps.

In order to have predictive power, you need something you can predict.

We can predict an R 50 - D 49 popular vote, and based on history and trends figure out what that likely means the electoral map looks like.

There is very minimal data on the chances of Hillary Clinton dying, and the only thing we can ensure in that case is "Well, there's a 0% chance of Hillary winning".

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Chamale posted:

- Big Obama scandal
- Big Hillary scandal
- Economic meltdown
- Major terrorist attack
- Iran gets a nuke
- Hillary dies

I can guarantee you that if an event occurs that causes Hillary to lose the election, she will lose the election.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Great White Hope posted:

There is very minimal data on the chances of Hillary Clinton dying, and the only thing we can ensure in that case is "Well, there's a 0% chance of Hillary winning".

Dead people have won elections before! Never underestimate Hillary's desire for the presidency. It shall transcend even death.

Bob Ojeda
Apr 15, 2008

Shear Modulus posted:

I can guarantee you that if an event occurs that causes Hillary to lose the election, she will lose the election.

seems unlikely, IMO

Litany Unheard posted:

Dead people have won elections before! Never underestimate Hillary's desire for the presidency. It shall transcend even death.

Skeleton Hillary 2016

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Is it possible for a dead person to be president.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

fronz posted:

Only if you cannot find and destroy their phylactery before they take the oath before Congress. Then it's fair game.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Oh my god he has got an AXE RUNNNNNN

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Supraluminal posted:

The fact that this is a real thing that more than a handful of lunatic crazy whackadoos are worried about is completely insane. God, please let Texas secede already.

I'm not sure what scares me more. How quickly the 2000 election and 9/11 showed conspiracy theory as something that significant, double-digit portions of the population could strongly believe in, or just how little overlap there is between that significant portion and the similar number that went nuts when Obama was elected.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

I'm the giant version of a certificate a child would print and sign for an online training program.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Wasn't there a photo of Rick Perry with that same axe, or something very similar?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Monkey Fracas posted:

Only if you cannot find and destroy their phylactery before they take the oath before Congress. Then it's fair game.

This is also how Strom Thurmond remained in office for so long.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Hey government, do you like Huey Lewis and the News?

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...

fronz posted:

Wheres the death certificate, Obama?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Killer robot posted:

I'm not sure what scares me more. How quickly the 2000 election and 9/11 showed conspiracy theory as something that significant, double-digit portions of the population could strongly believe in

Were you not aware of the 90s? One of the most popular TV shows of that decade had the tagline "I want to believe".

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Hillary's first open interview airs in 20 minutes on CNN. If someone can post highlights it would be appreciated. There's no limits on subjects, it's an hour long, and her first major interview, so we may finally get some actual major policy positions.

Also, in a weird twist, one of the positions Hillary has released a detailed plan for is a Puerto Rican bankruptcy plan. It includes a law allowing chapter 9 bankruptcy and higher medicare reimbursement rates for the island. She is currently the only candidate with a detailed plan for Puerto Rico, but still has not come out with concrete policies for other major issues. She still doesn't have an issue page on her website (yeah yeah, it's 15 months out, but if you declare your candidacy you should have an issues page within a month).

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Thank you Ted Cruz,

Your Simpsons impressions were so bad you got Harry to return

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/05/15/harry-shearer-simpsons-returns

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I know it's a big thing that donald trump apparently says 'yooge' instead of 'huge' but I've never actually heard him say it and couldn't find it on youtube. Can anyone help me out?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Joementum posted:

By the way, this is the first time I can remember when I haven't personally seen Bernie in a 4th of July parade.

I know this is from like a million pages ago, but by any chance do you typically go to the parade in Bristol?

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

redreader posted:

I know it's a big thing that donald trump apparently says 'yooge' instead of 'huge' but I've never actually heard him say it and couldn't find it on youtube. Can anyone help me out?

No, it's Bernie Sanders that says "yooge".

jerk1000
Dec 3, 2014

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Hillary's first open interview airs in 20 minutes on CNN. If someone can post highlights it would be appreciated. There's no limits on subjects, it's an hour long, and her first major interview, so we may finally get some actual major policy positions.

Just a lot of talk about e-mails so far.

jerk1000
Dec 3, 2014
And economic policies will be laid out on Monday

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

"Very disappointed in Trump and Republican Party for not telling trump to stop it"

"Republicans have hostility toward immigrants"

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

Brannock posted:

That doesn't make that WSJ cartoon not hilarious though, because at the point you're pulling in 6 figures, an extra few thousand dollars in taxes is more than easily dealt with.

I've got a thirty year mortgage. If I need to get (very) minor surgery or buy a used car because the old one exploded that's me tightening my belt for a year and hoping nothing else goes wrong. The same level of attention to detail would get the least of those poor overtaxed dears MY HOUSE. By the time I've paid off my mortgage I'll probably have grandchildren. Several of my friends will have died of old age. My dick probably won't work anymore. The working mother could make my mortgage go away in the time it'll take one of her kids to make it from 2nd to 3rd grade. She'd get to have life in the space where I get to have three decades of bills.
The fact that there exist people in this world who can buy and sell entire industries or who can threaten governments by pulling out their chequebooks doesn't make the wealth disparity between me and her any less vast.
I don't think there's anything wrong with being rich, I just bristle at the thought that anyone making that many multiples of the average american wage deserves sympathy for their money woes. For their life, yes, absolutely. But not their money.

Caveat: Someone that's gotten themselves into a high-debt lifestyle while maintaining a high wage who suddenly gets hit with a massive medical expense gets my sympathy, because that's lose-lose. They'll still recover far faster than a poorer person if the medical issue doesn't kill them, though. If an average earner has to deal with cancer for a year that's basically it for financial independence, even with insurance.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

redreader posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7UcQcD9INI#t=3m28s

Swim through the rest of that video's narration to see him tackle Vince McMahon.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Thank you Ted Cruz,

Your Simpsons impressions were so bad you got Harry to return

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/05/15/harry-shearer-simpsons-returns

Joementum posted:

Quote of the day, "It appears Harry Shearer was so horrified by my Simpsons impressions he agreed to return." ~ Ted Cruz.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

If Ted Cruz can make The Simpsons great again, he has my vote.

• Locked thread