Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

Thundercloud posted:

They've sent a lot of free copies out to podcasters. It's been interesting to see the push, and almost like they've hired a reputation management company to try and stop it being a disaster.

The minis are nice, it's just the rules so completely let the whole thing down.

My LGS had $800 of WFB/AoS orders called in and cancelled this weekend. I didn't post a word of anything in the WFB thread on the shop's facebook or anything. The Store copy White Dwarf and the general shitstomping that went through the internets accomplished that all on it's own.

I did manage to talk 3 Yu-Gi-Oh kids who were asking about miniatures into buying into 40k though. All of them went Xenos armies (Nids, Tau, Haemonculous Covens), which I consider both a victory for my powers of persuasion and some form of predernatural crime against their childhoods given the direction GW's heading. They'll come to love it just in time to see the IP dashed against the rocks.

It was a weird weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008

Thundercloud posted:

The minis are nice, it's just the rules so completely let the whole thing down.

I'd disagree - now I've seen them in person, the Sigmarines look like statues rather than warriors,there's nothing dynamic or engaging about them at all,

and this might be because I'm now used to painting true-scale minis (for infinity and malifeaux) the Khorn guys look far too cartoony, while at the same time being covered in scars and poo poo that you wouldn't want there if your appealing to children.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Ghost Hand posted:

Also GW sent me a copy of the Age of Sigmar boxed set. The models (especially for Chaos - but I might be biased) are pretty nice. I'm not sold on the other models so much. Maybe they will grow on me a bit. I am already figuring out how to use this Chaos models for my 40k stuff though....

Could you post comparison pics between the new chaos and the chaos marines when you get a chance?

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Slimnoid posted:

The big black book was the coolest loving thing and I really wish I still had a copy.
I've got one you can have for shipping. It's three-hole punched though, so I don't know if you're interested. I'm in the US.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

berzerkmonkey posted:

I've got one you can have for shipping. It's three-hole punched though, so I don't know if you're interested. I'm in the US.

Tempting, but I try and have physical books in as original a format as possible, even if they're dog-eared and torn in the corner. It's a thing with me.

I'm sure someone else will want it though!

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Any goons in europe who has a ton a scion baret heads they arent going to use?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Slimnoid posted:

Tempting, but I try and have physical books in as original a format as possible, even if they're dog-eared and torn in the corner. It's a thing with me.

I'm sure someone else will want it though!

Most third Ed books had to be spiral bound almost after the first time it was cracked open. I still got mine in that condition

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!

Kilo147 posted:

So, I'm gonna build a small group of Ultramarines, maybe like 10 models. Just wondering if anyone has the old Veteran squad, I'm looking for the body of the guy with dual lightning claws. Gonna make the Veteran Sergeant out of him.
Was this part of the old metal veteran squad box? If so, I probably have this but it might take a couple of days for me to dig that box out of storage. Can you link to a picture of one so I know what to look for?

Edit: Nevermind, I have the old metal sternguard squad. Sorry!

drgnvale fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jul 7, 2015

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

"Whenever there's injustice, wrongs to be righted, innocents to be defended, The Sisko will be there, delivering ass-whooppings."
Any 40k goons up in the Portland area? I'm up here with some family till Wednesday but I might have some time tomorrow or Wednesday to grab a beer and shoot the poo poo.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

LingcodKilla posted:

Most third Ed books had to be spiral bound almost after the first time it was cracked open. I still got mine in that condition

I dunno, every copy of the 3rd ed. book I've come across in the wild has held up pretty well. Same with the codices; I've got a fair chunk of them on my shelf and none of them have fallen apart.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Slimnoid posted:

I dunno, every copy of the 3rd ed. book I've come across in the wild has held up pretty well. Same with the codices; I've got a fair chunk of them on my shelf and none of them have fallen apart.

Codices are thin weedy stuff. I've never had any really fall apart either but almost every memeber of my old gaming club spiralbound our 3rd ed rule book. Perhaps it was either the shipment we got at our store or you dont play enough or hard enough to ruin your bindings?

Once the the minirule books came out it was a non-issue nobody used the full size ones at the table anymore.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Boon posted:

Crosspost. Progress on my second Crimson Hunter - it's about 80% done on the bottom with lot's of final coats and touch ups to do yet. It also makes me wonder why the gently caress I didn't just paint the bottom of the first one completely white or black.

It's going to be the final piece of my NOVA tournament roster, so the rest of the next two months will be spent on display boards, touching up my current models, and possibly replacing the old Shuriken Cannon jetbikes with the sleek new ones.

What events are you doing at Nova?

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
welp

From BOLS

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

BULBASAUR posted:

welp

From BOLS

I see our troll-fu is strong.

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde
I've got my first ever Apocalypse game in September (5000pts per player, many players). There's an Apocalypse formation I want to use for CSM - The Lost and the Damned. It's 1 Dark Apostle and 6+ units of Chaos Cultists. They get Feel No Pain from the formation, and I'm giving them Mark of Nurgle. I've got 60 cultists, so that's 6 units of 10 cultists. Does anyone have any tips for increasing their survivability? I could double or triple the unit size, but that's another £60 or £120 worth of cultists, which I'm never going to use outside of Apocalypse (and I don't know if the formation will turn out to be poo poo - I have never been on the receiving end of the D in my life) - so I'm struggling to justify it. I guess I could buy and proxy some IG units as cultists, but I'm not interested in.

Does a formation have to be fully deployed to have its effects? Could I deploy 2 squads of 30 cultists, wait for one to be killed fully, then treat those models as a unit held in reserves?

thegodofchuck
May 13, 2006

You'll be godlike

LordAba posted:

Could you post comparison pics between the new chaos and the chaos marines when you get a chance?

This please, I've very curious if the Chaos side is actually upscaled as well or if the Eternals are just supposed to be big.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

From the pics the Chaos dudes look to be smaller than the Sigmarines so should make decent Possessed or Beserkers if you stick a few pistols to them.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

thegodofchuck posted:

This please, I've very curious if the Chaos side is actually upscaled as well or if the Eternals are just supposed to be big.

They appeared to be smaller than the Stormcast guys. The basic marauder guys certainly seemed no bigger than the normal WFB scale.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Slimnoid posted:

Every 3rd ed rulebook I've seen that was actually used has totally fallen apart. Hence the binding. I thought about getting it spiral bound, but decided that three-ring was better (at the time) since I also used the binder for lists and special rules.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

BULBASAUR posted:

welp

From BOLS

BolShit.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

LordAba posted:

Got home late from work last night so got no time with it - today should be able to post some pics.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
So I got a headstart on my oath this month.

He is almost done, and I have followed the Dark Vengeance guide on how to paint a Chaos Lord. I still need to add in Sotek Green hightlights, put some silver on the gold edges, and silver up the gun and staff a bit. I guess my question is should I do anything beyond that? Should I edge highlight the red areas with a brighter red, or is this dirty bloody red a bit more fitting for a member of the Crimson Slaughter? The picture of Severin the Execution Hour rulebook is very bright by comparison.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

So people, I need myself a Mephiston. But like many I hate the existing model.

http://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Blood-Angels-Mephiston-Lord-of-Death

Also, personal quirk. I hate models without helmets. I know, I know, it just irrationally annoys me. You're wandering around on a battlefield and you have a drat helmet, put it on! Also Space Marine.

Now I don't really want to source half a dozen different model pieces or have to go crazy with green stuff as some do.

Keep it simple.

So i'm thinking the Emperors Champion.

http://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Black-Templars-The-Emperor-s-Champion

With some modest cutting and remodeling. Add a Plasma Pistol, some of the vast amount of Blood Angel Bitz I already have etc.

Thoughts?

Deptfordx fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Jul 7, 2015

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer

Uroboros posted:

He is almost done, and I have followed the Dark Vengeance guide on how to paint a Chaos Lord. I still need to add in Sotek Green hightlights, put some silver on the gold edges, and silver up the gun and staff a bit. I guess my question is should I do anything beyond that? Should I edge highlight the red areas with a brighter red, or is this dirty bloody red a bit more fitting for a member of the Crimson Slaughter? The picture of Severin the Execution Hour rulebook is very bright by comparison.

I have no constructive feedback, but I am loving the insane knife helmet.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

Ghost Hand posted:

Got home late from work last night so got no time with it - today should be able to post some pics.

Ghost Hand and BULBASAUR, do either of you guys know a good bits seller for 30k-style backpacks? I need at least 16 for my Sons of Horus and I'm OCD enough that I don't want to end up with a ton of extra arms and legs and torsos (which I will already, I guess).

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Uroboros posted:

This guy is coming along very well! I would recommend highlighting the red areas with a brighter red, possibly Mephiston Red (picture looks dark so I don't know what your base red is), and I'd recommend doing the same for the brass trim on the chest, shoulders, and knees at least.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

TheChirurgeon posted:

This guy is coming along very well! I would recommend highlighting the red areas with a brighter red, possibly Mephiston Red (picture looks dark so I don't know what your base red is), and I'd recommend doing the same for the brass trim on the chest, shoulders, and knees at least.

Yeah, it is Mephiston, so the picture is a tad darker than in reality. I was unsure on the brass, on GWs video they leave the brass as it is, which I assume is because the Crimson Slaughter have a dirty bronze look to them. Should I perhaps try something like Hashut Copper on the Bronze? It is actually Balthasar Gold washed with Agrax Earthshade, but I don't really want to use Gehennas or anything like that...

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Uroboros posted:

Yeah, it is Mephiston, so the picture is a tad darker than in reality. I was unsure on the brass, on GWs video they leave the brass as it is, which I assume is because the Crimson Slaughter have a dirty bronze look to them. Should I perhaps try something like Hashut Copper on the Bronze? It is actually Balthasar Gold washed with Agrax Earthshade, but I don't really want to use Gehennas or anything like that...

I'd use either Gehenna or Auric Armor and just hit the edges, like that collar piece, the rims of the shoulder pauldrons, and the knees (I'd suggest more, but you may want to keep it subtle and I'm not 100% sure what your skill level is). For the red highlights, I'd use Evil Sunz Scarlet, or maybe a 50/50 mix of that that and Mephiston Red.

Alternatively, if you want a darker look, you can shade the interiors with Carroburg Crimson rather than highlighting the edges.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Deptfordx posted:

Also, personal quirk. I hate models without helmets. I know, I know, it just irrationally annoys me. You're wandering around on a battlefield and you have a drat helmet, put it on! Also Space Marine.

Now I don't really want to source half a dozen different model pieces or have to go crazy with green stuff as some do.

Keep it simple.

With some modest cutting and remodeling. Add a Plasma Pistol, some of the vast amount of Blood Angel Bitz I already have etc.

Thoughts?

I would use robed/tabbarded legs from the Sternguard kit, the ornate nipple armor torso front from the Blood Angels kit/upgrade sprue, and the back torso from a Grey Knight for the psychic hood. I'd leave the other bits to your discretion, but that's what I'd start with at least.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

In before Uroboros dies of blood loss from stepping on this thing barefoot in the dead of night.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I just noticed that helmet has the same cables on the "blades" as a power sword. His power armor is topped with a power helmet of power swords.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

SRM posted:

I just noticed that helmet has the same cables on the "blades" as a power sword. His power armor is topped with a power helmet of power swords.

40k as gently caress

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

BULBASAUR posted:

welp

From BOLS

That's from the Age Of Sigmar thread and is a parody made by a goon. If someone on BoLS posted that in earnest that's funny as hell.

40k deserves an event as funny as Age Of Sigmar. Go read the Sigmar thread, geeez!

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

TheChirurgeon posted:

Actually, I'd recommend using a bright orange, like the old Slayer Orange as a subtle line highlight over the bright red. It works well when you do it in moderation. Too much/too thick and it'll stick out, but a thin line and just hitting the tips actually comes out nicely.

I learned of it doing some warmahordes models. The faction paint set comes with a red base and orange highlight pair for red armor on their robits. This picture is of one of the models and, in my opinion, has about 50% more line highlight than is necessary, but will be a suitable example:

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

BULBASAUR posted:

welp

From BOLS

I have to ask... how's the reaction to this image there?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

OB_Juan posted:

I have to ask... how's the reaction to this image there?

Weebo. loving idiots.

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!
I love that the other thread (or was it this one? I can't keep track anymore) went ahead with the suggestion to leak the warscroll while the spellcheck squiggles were still there.

JackMack
Nov 3, 2007

Deptfordx posted:

Keep it simple.

Thoughts?

I dislike most of the older blood Angels characters and will be making my own. For Mephiston I am going to use the Ezekiel model. I hate the lazy space vampire aspect of the fluff but I love the quiet implications of his "overcoming" the black rage. As such the Ezekiel miniature is more dark rather than vampiric. He also has a bionic eye, which in my tale is how he sees the real world, through his biological eye he still suffers the endless visions of the final hours of Sanguinius. He will be wearing red robes over black armour to signify that he is a sufferer of the rage. Everyone else I will build from the sanguinary guard box.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Somebody should make a few good photoshops of Age of Emperor and then leak them to BOLS. Make them look like a phone capture from an unreleased white dwarf or something.

Sulecrist posted:

Ghost Hand and BULBASAUR, do either of you guys know a good bits seller for 30k-style backpacks? I need at least 16 for my Sons of Horus and I'm OCD enough that I don't want to end up with a ton of extra arms and legs and torsos (which I will already, I guess).

I would suggest ebay. Surprisingly, there is a decent bits market for FW stuff there. Barring that I haven't seen any 3rd part backpacks that actually look good to me. You could also do what I did: buy CSM backpacks and then chop off the wing bits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

So there's questions being raised about 40k going to 32mm scale. If they go that route, my Tyranids will be literal gods. Part of me wants to see it go that way, just to become a lord of cover abuse.

• Locked thread