Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Nuebot posted:

I didn't even notice if it did anything new.

All it does on expert is respawn its adds periodically. Also under 500 HP it gets super fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Thyrork posted:

Goes faster after all the adds die. Goes even faster at lower health. Basically "build the highway in hell you should have been building anyway to defeat me." :shrug:

I imagine being melee in expert mode against the wall is a terrible experience.

Isn't it a pretty terrible experience being Melee against in normal mode too.

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.

poxin posted:

Nothing like beating expert skeletron with an army of bees and 10 goons!

Not as good as when the queen bee got into the railway tunnel.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

King Doom posted:

Not as good as when the queen bee got into the railway tunnel.
How do you guys do stairs effectively? I'm remodelling a grand hall and trying to go for some kind of grand staircase but I don't know how.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Ugh, guys, help.

Me and a friend just killed the Wall of Flesh and entered hardmode.
But, now we're absolutely overwhelmed and completely aimless.

Hardmode isn't a lie, it was almost a cake walk up until I stepped out of the base and got gangraped by those laser shooting flying jelly fish things and then impaled by a loving unicorn.

I've got jungle set armor and he has molten, both have weapons that do 40 damage but these fuckers hit us hard.

WHAT DO

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011
My base in my expert world isn't quite done yet, but most of the construction is finished (all but housing for the cyborg. he'll be staying in a spare room until i get some martian blocks)

To the left, you can see part of a skybridge i made to try and farm up some strange plants. No luck so far.

Bottom left is a glowing mushroom farm. Hit that switch on the pillar and the grass platforms retract, dumping all the mushrooms to the bottom.

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.

Deakul posted:

Ugh, guys, help.

Me and a friend just killed the Wall of Flesh and entered hardmode.
But, now we're absolutely overwhelmed and completely aimless.

Hardmode isn't a lie, it was almost a cake walk up until I stepped out of the base and got gangraped by those laser shooting flying jelly fish things and then impaled by a loving unicorn.

I've got jungle set armor and he has molten, both have weapons that do 40 damage but these fuckers hit us hard.

WHAT DO

Start smashing demon altars with the blessed hammer you got from the wall and mine the new ores that spawn in.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Sjonnar posted:

My base in my expert world isn't quite done yet, but most of the construction is finished (all but housing for the cyborg. he'll be staying in a spare room until i get some martian blocks)

To the left, you can see part of a skybridge i made to try and farm up some strange plants. No luck so far.

Bottom left is a glowing mushroom farm. Hit that switch on the pillar and the grass platforms retract, dumping all the mushrooms to the bottom.

Are random wyvern attacks still a thing, or did they change that at some point?

edit: really cool base though! Good idea with the mushfarm

LightningSquid
Dec 27, 2013

neurotech posted:

Care to show your wiring layout?

It's a little bit of a mess, but here you are!

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
Ahahaha, we just hit hardmode last night in me and my friends' expert world so the first thing we did was start farming pre hardmode bosses. We killed the eater of worlds a few times near an snow biome I guess and got like 3 or 4 amaroks which is twice as strong as the yoyo I was currently using.

Senor Candle fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jul 7, 2015

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011

Prop Wash posted:

Are random wyvern attacks still a thing, or did they change that at some point?

edit: really cool base though! Good idea with the mushfarm

Enemies have a lower chance to spawn if there are NPCs around, i think. I've only ever seen a wyvern during a blood moon. It didn't kill anything, but i accidentally killed my painter with the fire DOT from the Solar Eruption. (It spreads from its target to nearby legal targets, which include NPCs)

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
Banner buffs don't stack do they?

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Pierson posted:

How do you guys do stairs effectively? I'm remodelling a grand hall and trying to go for some kind of grand staircase but I don't know how.

Platforms actually make straight up staircases if you make them diagonal. They'll do it automatically if you use autotarget, and you can change them into it with your hammer if not.

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014
Dang man how can dude make so many improvements and still have such a horrifically awful crafting interface?

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Disgusting Coward posted:

Dang man how can dude make so many improvements and still have such a horrifically awful crafting interface?

I dunno man, doesn't seem that awful to me.

Edit: What I can make with my primary storage chest.

Click on an item, it selects it to be crafted.

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jul 7, 2015

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Also it turns out if you do a snapshot of a place you're not really in range of, it fucks up the back walls.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Tamayachi posted:

Start smashing demon altars with the blessed hammer you got from the wall and mine the new ores that spawn in.

To add to this: a lot of Hardmode enemies will consistently gently caress you up in melee before you've upgraded your gear. The Arms Dealer will sell a Shotgun now; it deals good damage and has strong knockback, making it very, very good for taking out some of the early Hardmode monsters. It's also useful for suppressing the Gastropods - if you keep constantly peppering them with buckshot, they seem to be unable to fire lasers at you with any regularity.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Dareon posted:

Also it turns out if you do a snapshot of a place you're not really in range of, it fucks up the back walls.

Yeah, and it only ever shows the forest background no matter what biome you build in.

LightningSquid
Dec 27, 2013

DarkAvenger211 posted:

Banner buffs don't stack do they?

I don't think they do, the only reason I have so many up is to show how many jellies I've killed trying to find keys. :shobon:

Mystery Prize
Nov 7, 2010

SirSamVimes posted:

Wall of Flesh: Considerably easier than expected. Actually the easiest Expert boss I've faced so far.

Skeletron was absolutely harder on Expert, at least for me.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
So apparently if I load my corrupted world in 1.2 it'll fix it for 1.3. Anyone have any idea how I could do this?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Trying to go pure melee always seemed like a losing proposition to me in this game. It always made more sense to use some ranged weapon with melee as a back up.

Anyways I'm super sad that apparently NPCs refuse to walk some distance from their house so I have no clue what to do with my NPC housing. Originally I was gonna give them themed rooms in a nice tower hotel but what's the point when they stay trapped on their floor forever? I mean now they can actually defend themselves so who cares if they wander around.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jul 7, 2015

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Yeah, I'm not a big fan of the NPCs being disabled from going up stairs. I want to watch my NPCs hanging out together dammit :kimchi:

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
When you get farther into the game, all the good melee weapons have an insane range, or shoot out projectiles. It's really weird what they classify as melee sometimes.

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost

Internet Kraken posted:

Trying to go pure melee always seemed like a losing proposition to me in this game. It always made more sense to use some ranged weapon with melee as a back up.

Given that once hardmode starts almost every melee weapon has some ranged component, I think the devs agree. I think it's kind of inevitable that once you start cranking up mob contact damage and mobility to increase difficulty, Good Ol' Swords are going to be outclassed. I'm pretty much fine with it though, this isn't D&D where the fighter has to slog through muck while the wizards get the insane rainbow prism lightshow all to themselves.

I am pretty disappointed that there are no moon-tier accessories besides wings. I'd especially like to replace this damned cross necklace but given the aforementioned high contact damage it just doesn't seem worth it.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
Do melee weapons that shoot projectiles out get bonus damage on the projectiles if you have some kind of melee buff? Can they benefit from stuff you use at the imbuing station?

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
So I finally got around to Expert mode Mechanical bosses. And got the Mechanical Cart.

:stare:

It goes 102 MPH!

(For the record, Lightning Boots on Asphalt is only 64 MPH)

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Supremezero posted:

So I finally got around to Expert mode Mechanical bosses. And got the Mechanical Cart.

:stare:

It goes 102 MPH!

(For the record, Lightning Boots on Asphalt is only 64 MPH)

That's going to gently caress up all my sweet mine track ramps I built. :(

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

Those are palm torches, right?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Eric the Mauve posted:

Yeah, I'm not a big fan of the NPCs being disabled from going up stairs. I want to watch my NPCs hanging out together dammit :kimchi:

NPCs can and do go up stairs. I'm not sure what exactly that patch note was referring to.

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde

I'm so happy over my first wiring project. It cycles properly!

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

DarkAvenger211 posted:

Do melee weapons that shoot projectiles out get bonus damage on the projectiles if you have some kind of melee buff? Can they benefit from stuff you use at the imbuing station?

Nope to the first. Yep to the latter (see the wiki)

Mortvert
Oct 13, 2013

What?!
This is amazing!

Angry Diplomat posted:

To add to this: a lot of Hardmode enemies will consistently gently caress you up in melee before you've upgraded your gear. The Arms Dealer will sell a Shotgun now; it deals good damage and has strong knockback, making it very, very good for taking out some of the early Hardmode monsters. It's also useful for suppressing the Gastropods - if you keep constantly peppering them with buckshot, they seem to be unable to fire lasers at you with any regularity.

There is another way to deal with gastropods - the slime king drop that makes slimes friendly also works on them - they don't attack/damage you at all.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Mortvert posted:

There is another way to deal with gastropods - the slime king drop that makes slimes friendly also works on them - they don't attack/damage you at all.

He only drops that in expert mode though. Is he still easy enough for someone new to hardmode to kill?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

RatHat posted:

He only drops that in expert mode though. Is he still easy enough for someone new to hardmode to kill?

Hardmode gear of any kind will mow down normal mode dudes, even on expert.

Quincytbb
Oct 8, 2014

:laugh:

RatHat posted:

Worst case scenario you can do what I did, die over and over again in lovely tin armor as you whittle him down to nothing.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

so the Phantasm bow is ...ludicrous.

You might scoff at its (relatively) low base damage but

it shoots 4 arrows at a time
it shoots faster and faster
the arrows home in on enemies

load up on Holy arrows and any boss just melts - Moon Lord included.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Acne Rain posted:

Nope to the first. Yep to the latter (see the wiki)

Pretty sure it should be yep to the first as well. Melee damage gear works on anything that says "melee damage" in its description, whether it's a sword that shoots lasers, a vampiric throwing knife, a yoyo, or anything else.

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

I am not an egghead. I am well-read.
I beat the Moon Lord solo. I honestly didn't think I was going to, but a few things helped a lot.

MVP of the whole fight: not me, my Stardust Dragon, and I'm not even geared to be a summoner. I bet he did more damage than I did over the length of the fight.
Speaking of the Stardust Dragon, he makes the Martian Invasion hilariously simple. I just tapped my altar to give me +1 minion which makes him an extra link longer, and stood in my attic while he shredded all the little aliens while occasionally coming up to chew through a flying saucer once in a while. And I got a UFO mount key, which helped out against the Moon Lord as well because it lets you fly forever.

So strategy for the Moon Lord that worked for me: kill three of the pillars, then stock up on every possible potion, flask and cooked fish that would have a combat use. Go back out to the far east, and kill the last pillar. Fly further east until I'm near the edge of the map, above the ocean, and wait. When Big Ugly shows up, pop every buff I have and start flying in circles, throwing a Possessed Tomahawk from the Golem at him, because I don't have to aim. When I have used a healing potion, and I'm down to about 30% life or so, mirror back to my base, heal at the nurse, and start flying back out there. He's so slow, he'll never reach you before you're most of the way back. Kill all three of his parts as close to one another, then rinse and repeat for his core. Best thing for me to do was not to stick around for just a couple seconds more damage; I've gotten killed during the mirror's windup time.

Seriously, don't underestimate the power of potions. Crit%, -damage taken, damage done, speed, armor, regeneration, maximum life, summoning, ichor flask and a cooked fish. I had all of them going, and had to reapply halfway through as the shorter ones ran out.

Geomancing fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jul 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
To be honest, as long as you have a ufo mount and teleport to your base when you get low, he isn't the worst to fight.