Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
And I am entirely concerned about characters being characters and doing what their personality would suggest they do with some degree of consistency, regardless of what they are.

So on that note, wheres my heroic "Frost Demon" character, Toriyama? :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
its consistent that none of the girls fight, because they either dont want to, or are weak

Kithkar
Apr 23, 2011

I'm gonna RENOVATE your ass!

Thyrork posted:

Videl meanwhile does feel out of place. What happened to make her give up on the dream of fighting crime? :smith: Maybe it'll come up in Super. Maybe Gohan's doing his whole study to make everyone stronger thing for her.

This actually I'm not so sure of. Well, she is out of place but that's because this timing is dumb. In fact it seems all the fighting she did stems directly from the relationship to her father, in kind of a reverse Gohan way where just does all this fighting because it's expected of her because her dad is literally the strongest there is. Turns out, when that's all fake she legitimately might not want to be involved in it anymore. But this silly being 6 months after Buu thing makes it kinda dumb, when it could have been justified. Like, why set this specifically right after Buu if everyone's just going to have their later characterization anyway, unless its to show more kid Trunks and Goten?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

tbp posted:

its consistent that none of the girls fight, because they either dont want to, or are weak

None of them are Saiyans so heck, they have the right idea.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Kithkar posted:

This actually I'm not so sure of. Well, she is out of place but that's because this timing is dumb. In fact it seems all the fighting she did stems directly from the relationship to her father, in kind of a reverse Gohan way where just does all this fighting because it's expected of her because her dad is literally the strongest there is. Turns out, when that's all fake she legitimately might not want to be involved in it anymore.

She just stopped caring about any of that stuff cause she got a man

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

tbp posted:

There's an obvious reason for that, but who am I kidding, we're all here for Vegeta's grumbling while Goku does stuff.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Kithkar posted:

unless its to show more kid Trunks and Goten?

This is almost certainly why they set it when they did.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Kild posted:

Yeah but it makes no sense since they can just do it forever in the afterlife.

Given that Vegeta doesn't get a body in the afterlife due to his bad deeds, I don't think they could actually. Which would be even funnier, since Vegeta would be forced to watch helplessly as Goku trains and fights in Other-world tournaments, bitching about how he could totally kick Kakarot's rear end if he just had a body to kick him with.

Ruggington posted:

if cell was really a perfect being he would have a giant cock and balls imo

What need has a perfect being of off-spring? If he was perfect he would be eternal and impossible to improve, so children would be redundant.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Here's my thoughts on Videl in Super: her hair band is stupid.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
It's still weird for me to think of Freeza as a dude. The pink lipstick and the voice in the old NA dub always made me read 'evil queen' even after the transformations.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

tsob posted:

Given that Vegeta doesn't get a body in the afterlife due to his bad deeds, I don't think they could actually. Which would be even funnier, since Vegeta would be forced to watch helplessly as Goku trains and fights in Other-world tournaments, bitching about how he could totally kick Kakarot's rear end if he just had a body to kick him with.

Vegeta gets a body in the afterlife in the Buu saga. Even King Yemma was surprised by this, but it happened.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Electromax posted:

It's still weird for me to think of Freeza as a dude. The pink lipstick and the voice in the old NA dub always made me read 'evil queen' even after the transformations.

I still get that from time to time. Although my original thought process was "Oh its a evil queen!" Then he transforms for the first time. "Oh! Its a evil ruler!" Then the internet made clear he was a dude. Made him rather unique for me if anything else! :haw:

tbp posted:

Yup! Bulma is still pretty great for that! She wants to build cool poo poo and understand. The android saga is so great for showing her unique benefit as a support character. Is smart, backwards engineers Androids, builds bomb. In a more traditional setting, Bulma would have single handedly won the day for the heroes.

And heck, Gohan desperately wants out for realises but poo poo keeps making him have to brush the dust of the Gi when he'd rather be writing books! Characters in Dragon Ball are exactly that, and not a bunch of points rammed down our throat. They have their own dreams and desires and go about getting them in their own ways.

Dont get me wrong with my earlier stuff, Dragon Ball is "A Good Show." It has few unfortunate relics lying underneath but its certainly not some lovely icon of backwards thinking. More women fighters? It'd be the icing on the cake. :3:

But maybe I'm not the one to be saying that DB isn't terrible because reasons. I'm white and male, my privilege might be showing. ;)

Pomp posted:

There's an obvious reason for that, but who am I kidding, we're all here for Vegeta's grumbling while Goku does stuff.

Absolutely.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Thyrork posted:

But maybe I'm not the one to be saying that DB isn't terrible because reasons. I'm white and male, my privilege might be showing. ;)

Being white and male is a constant source of shame to me, when i could be a cool jap

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

I hope they show Pan all proper and not GT-ified. She owns and is strong enough to beat Goten at age 4.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfiZfi_IZ0Y

Kild fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jul 7, 2015

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

tbp posted:

No but I made a girl saiyajin in Xenoverse and they have really good stats so

Batmasterson
Dec 7, 2010

Bang Bang Bang
Sorry if I'm late to the gender chat, but couldn't you consider Krillin's insistence of fighting for his wife and child, despite knowing he is actually weaker, incredibly romantic? He loves his family so much that he is willing to put his life on the line because if anything were to happen 18, he would never be able to protect his daughter from that pain, no matter how hard he trained. TBH, Krillin is the best character in the series.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
He shouldn't have to, especially if it means 18 not fighting. Fighting alongside her, sure. But fielding Krillin when you could throw 18 at someone instead-while utimately an incremental difference in the grand scheme of things at least regarding the big bads-is just ridiculous.

It's like a punchman version of a world famous athlete marrying a man and he insists on her staying at home cooking while he works a back breaking job when she could be competing in the Olympics.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

kill all men

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Rodyle posted:

It could be different in Super.

Not with any of the female characters you already know. You will probably see Lady Whis in a fight or something of a new female character, but you will not see like Chi-Chi, Videl, or 18 do a cool fight thing.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

The gender and identity politics of Akira Toriyama must be corrected, ideally by force.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Rodyle posted:

It could be different in Super.

No. Again, this is not the giant, fix everything fanfic every fan has been writing in their head for 20+ years now, this is a continuation of the series. At best, we'll get Dragonball. At worst, we'll get GT. Nothing more, nothing less.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

projecthalaxy posted:

The gender and identity politics of Akira Toriyama must be corrected, ideally by force.

As long as Cha-La Head Cha-La is blasting in the background I'll be down for this. We get Goku, by the way.

Will say, at least Toriyama gives his women characters good proportions. Oda used to draw women decently, then he just gave them all huge boobs and tiny waists then called it a day. They usually have the same kind of face too.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Jimbot posted:

As long as Cha-La Head Cha-La is blasting in the background I'll be down for this. We get Goku, by the way.

Will say, at least Toriyama gives his women characters good proportions. Oda used to draw women decently, then he just gave them all huge boobs and tiny waists then called it a day. They usually have the same kind of face too.

Much like real women

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

The weak characters shouldn't fight, while the strong ones should

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Punchman dawinianism

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

projecthalaxy posted:

Nah, the best way is obviously to just wish for it. I mean, the dragonballs would help but the wish is the important part.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

"Hrrrrr I don't want to see insanely top level god mode transformations any more I want to see videl with her 1050 power level square off against guldo or some poo poo" - a retard who did not take the right message from watching dbz

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
You cannot wish for things outside of the power of the creator of the Dragon Balls.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

e X posted:

No. Again, this is not the giant, fix everything fanfic every fan has been writing in their head for 20+ years now, this is a continuation of the series. At best, we'll get Dragonball. At worst, we'll get GT. Nothing more, nothing less.

Sweet, how'd you get ahold of episodes 2 through 100 so early?

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

tbp posted:

"Hrrrrr I don't want to see insanely top level god mode transformations any more I want to see videl with her 1050 power level square off against guldo or some poo poo" - a retard who did not take the right message from watching dbz

Dragonball is better than Dragonball Z. There I said it. :colbert:

Give me the power pole and nimbus over Super Saiyan and Instant Transmission.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

This is that fanfic where goku meets anne frank

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

jivjov posted:

Common sense. Not an option for many people, I know.

edit: In an effort not to let this thread turn into complete passive aggressive bitchfest though, I genuinely think there is not much gained by envisioning DBS as the series that will fix all the little problems. Hell, we have to relatively recent movies that show us exactly how the new stuff will be. We know how Toriyama works, we know how Toei works. If everything goes well, we get an actual continuation of Dragonball out of this, which is absolutely amazing. But thinking that this series will radically change the story in favor of whatever complains the fans base has amassed over the years is just ludicrous. You are basically setting yourself up to be horribly disappointed by what could be a great series, because you expect it to be the Vegeta fanfic you wrote in middle school.

e X fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jul 7, 2015

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Jimbot posted:

Dragonball is better than Dragonball Z. There I said it. :colbert:

Give me the power pole and nimbus over Super Saiyan and Instant Transmission.

It's good bc they were the top level back then

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Beef Chief posted:

Not with any of the female characters you already know. You will probably see Lady Whis in a fight or something of a new female character, but you will not see like Chi-Chi, Videl, or 18 do a cool fight thing.

Yah and a new character that's strong enough to fight in the big leagues (or in other words, introducing a new Saiyan character) would probably be called a mary sue. There's no winning, in this game.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Super will be my fanfic as it will feature insane new power and transformations and epic battles

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Pan will become insanely powerful

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

My waifu gokette

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

jivjov posted:

To be honest, it's a pretty reasonable estimate. Toriyama is still Toriyama and that has some expectations along with it. He definitely has had some change of mind on the series (he likes Vegeta now, for example, instead of disliking Vegeta), but none of them are really that drastic, so far, or what this thread seems to want. The choice to do the "Goten and Trunks" filler and the Vegeta family stuff is just the Great Sayiman again: some light hearted stuff to ease us back in before the real story begins.

So, yeah, as with many things, it's not going to be everything this thread has been hoping for.

I'm not saying I don't want things to change in some regards( like having some more female fighters), but, given the preview material and what we've seen from Toriyama in the past, it probably isn't happening.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Covok posted:

I'm not saying I don't want things to change in some regards( like having some more female fighters), but, given the preview material and what we've seen from Toriyama in the past, it probably isn't happening.

Yeah, that is exactly my stance. I'd love to see more female fighters. I'd love to see Krillin, Tenshinhan and Yamcha being at the frontlines kicking rear end, I'd love to see more martial arts and less beam struggles. I just don't see that happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
I'd love to see all of those things, but honestly? I just want more Dragon ball.

• Locked thread