Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Asimo posted:

The great and horrible secret of Blizzard is that, for whatever reason, they absolutely hate player-driven cosmetic customization. Look at how staggeringly limited the options for creating a character are in WoW for example. Some of this is due to the age of the game sure, but there were games before it (like CoH) and basically every game after it that offered an order of magnitude more options. They added gear customization, but only years later and in the most limited and begruding fashion. And there's lots of little things like that, to the point that Garrisons basically have little to no useful cosmetic customization. I'm not even sure why they're like that; maybe there's some quiet agreement with the art staff that they think their handmade stuff is good enough, maybe there's management who thinks it's too much effort for too nebulous a return, whatever. But it is what it is. There's a lot of really smart and inventive designers at Blizzard, but they're still a horribly conservative company when there's no pressure to advance.

Counterpoint:

quote:

gently caress customization.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

panda clue
May 23, 2014
Girl Power

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Shadowlyger posted:

Counterpoint:

Counter Counterpoint:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huMT2JCYEqk

Customization Rocks!

But to be fair, I have seen some glorious monstrosities appear out of that game's character creator too.

Hy_C
Apr 1, 2010

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

I vaguely remember panda clue as the guy who used another account to shitpost about like furries or something while actually making GBS threads and forgetting he wasn't on his other account?

Panda clue is the person who posted furry stuff on this or another account then said account was their "boyfriend/girlfriend" then got called out or something. Then they back pedaled and said it was a parachute account for posting on a tablet while making GBS threads. Something close to that.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Did that person ever get her food stamps?

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Hy_C posted:

Panda clue is the person who posted furry stuff on this or another account then said account was their "boyfriend/girlfriend" then got called out or something. Then they back pedaled and said it was a parachute account for posting on a tablet while making GBS threads. Something close to that.

This story gets better every time I hear it :allears:.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

panda clue posted:

Roll with the punches

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

Hy_C posted:

We can't let this slide!

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

Xavier434 posted:

Counter Counterpoint:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huMT2JCYEqk

Customization Rocks!

But to be fair, I have seen some glorious monstrosities appear out of that game's character creator too.

That's a staggering amount of things to tweak. If you don't have any background in art (for knowledge of facial proportions) it must be really easy to create horrors straight from the Skyrim Nexus.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Mizuti posted:

That's a staggering amount of things to tweak. If you don't have any background in art (for knowledge of facial proportions) it must be really easy to create horrors straight from the Skyrim Nexus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YaG6Z48qLY

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

panda clue posted:

Thank you for your contributions to this thread, I was getting bored of reading the usual arguing why mmos are bad but never realizing that mmos are inherently bad genre for suckers.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Shadowlyger posted:

Counterpoint:

please dont be rude to Kelp Kelpkelp, he is a beautiful blue aurin and deserves nothing but love

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Eye of Widesauron posted:

Roll with the punches

lol

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Can we get your partner BBG's opinion on cyster? :allears: I always love reading his posts about this matter.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Holyshoot posted:

Can we get your partner BBG's opinion on cyster? :allears: I always love reading his posts about this matter.

I'll ask him but he's busy going through the Metal Gear Challenge right now.

TPP is going to be loving amazing and if you haven't gone through at least MGS 3 lately now is a good time.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Mods please rename thread to Wildstar: You should play Metal Gear Instead

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
Splinter Cell the first one was about as far as I got into that genre. Not really a fan.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Holyshoot posted:

Splinter Cell the first one was about as far as I got into that genre. Not really a fan.

If you're just starting out 3's a great place to start and can be had on the cheap and emulates really well on a decent PC too. Much better than Splinter Cell; I can see why you would be hesitant if that were your first experience with it.

E: The problem with this is that if you ever go back and play 2 and 1 in the MGS line you're going to be like wtf m8 because of the QOL improvements

Eye of Widesauron fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jul 7, 2015

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

If you're just starting out 3's a great place to start and can be had on the cheap and emulates really well on a decent PC too. Much better than Splinter Cell; I can see why you would be hesitant if that were your first experience with it.

E: The problem with this is that if you ever go back and play 2 and 1 in the MGS line you're going to be like wtf m8 because of the QOL improvements

Can confirm. I played them as they came out, but last year I went back and played them in story-chronological order and going from MGS3 to MGS1 was awkward.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

This is a good thread to admit that MGS3 turned me off from MGS as a whole despite it looking crazy fun later on.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

qnqnx posted:

This is a good thread to admit that MGS3 turned me off from MGS as a whole despite it looking crazy fun later on.

What about it?

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Low tolerance for cutscenes and slow gameplay.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

qnqnx posted:

Low tolerance for cutscenes and slow gameplay.

Don't play 4 then but there is a subsistence/persistence version of 3 that has a really cool game mode where it's just all the action sequences and boss fights

I find the gameplay to be pretty fast but then again I usually give up on stealth and try to just murder everything in MGS games. Cut scenes are slow as hell tho

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Cyster what are your thoughts on the Metal Gear series

Cyster
Jul 22, 2007

Things are going to be okay.

Cyster what are your thoughts on the Metal Gear series

I dig 'em. Bit too much cutscene for my liking at times.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Cyster posted:

I dig 'em. Bit too much cutscene for my liking at times.

From a design perspective how do you feel about this tease released for the new one

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

it should be throwing up a peace sign

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Oh Snapple! posted:

it should be throwing up a peace sign

There is an attachment for it that makes it a shocker so if they want to be clever they can do something similar I guess

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Don't play 4 then but there is a subsistence/persistence version of 3 that has a really cool game mode where it's just all the action sequences and boss fights

I find the gameplay to be pretty fast but then again I usually give up on stealth and try to just murder everything in MGS games. Cut scenes are slow as hell tho

It's hosed up that they discourage killing, stealthily or not.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

qnqnx posted:

I've never found an issue with it aside from that one boss fight in 3 but to be honest doing a no kill run makes that fight boring as hell. It's a lot easier in 3 and onwards where you can CQC them and do stuff like use guards as a human shield

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

There is an attachment for it that makes it a shocker so if they want to be clever they can do something similar I guess

?

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Guard A: What was that Noise

Guard B: ZOIKS

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Singer Steven Tyler displays the shocker in the preshow film of the Rockin' Roller Coaster attraction at Walt Disney World.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

qnqnx posted:

Just use tranqs and CQC. It's more fun that way anyway. Use your lethal weapons on the bosses unless you want their special camos.

MGS1 doesn't really discourage killing in that you can't get rid of guards nonlethally in that one so if you want to just shoot motherfuckers that's a good place to start.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

You can let a boss die of old age in the MGS series by waiting

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
I stopped playing MGS3 for like a year and a half before resuming it and finding the End dead. I was actually disappointed to find out that the threshold for the end dying was only a few days, not a whole year.

I really do need to finish MGS4 though.

Cyster
Jul 22, 2007

Things are going to be okay.

From a design perspective how do you feel about this tease released for the new one

MGS has always been over-the-top in its own way, and I think a ridiculous remote-controlled fist missile is right in line with that. Haven't played it so I don't know how it handles, but from the footage it seems like it gives you the information you need to do what you're trying to do -- heat signatures behind a wall, information over an individual's head, etc. so you're given enough info in the moment to make the calls with your remote-controlled explode-o-fist. I think it's an interesting (and, yes, silly) way to spice up gameplay and provide more options in a long-running franchise. The challenge of modern game design is that the audience always asks for more: in this case, more options, more ways to kill people, more ways to complete missions, etc. As a designer, you hope to provide a solid game that can hopefully satisfy some of that desire to explore more of the genre/franchise/gameplay.

I mean, I probably wouldn't have sat in a meeting room where everyone was brainstorming new ideas for the franchise and said "You know what we're missing? A remote-controlled death fist!" but I don't hate it. :v:

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Cyster posted:

However I did regret not reading the thread for a while and thus was unable to give a nod to John Dyne -- there was a lot of solid criticism there, including some stuff I'm responsible for, and I appreciate that.

I don't even remember what I've said. :v: I got derailed onto EQ and other MMOs.

I'm still playing Wildstar on the free 30 days I got but I haven't levelled much since it seems to throw so much poo poo at you at once around the time you get to the capital city, and my warrior I made to try out tanking hits like he's wielding a pool noodle rather than a huge rear end sword. With him feeling so weak and my spellslinger not having a clear idea of what the gently caress I should be doing, I've just done crafting until I ran out of money and mats. :saddowns:

I do also feel the game has just too few people, except maybe at max level. You'd think with people doing the trial and trying to get back in you'd have people doing poo poo but outside of Thayd I don't see many people in the levelling zones and it doesn't feel like anyone is queuing for adventures or dungeons. In the almost-month I've tried the game I've gotten two queue pops.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
That explode-o-fist is too subtle for MGS's story, it should be a flying gun that explodes into a picture of george w bush's face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
This thread is AIDS. Play Metal Gear Solid

• Locked thread