Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

Those almost look like they're designed for the Japanese school market. It's not unusual for every desk to have a keyboard of some sort in elementary school there. Probably cheaper than these though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx
So I hate to take everyone's attention away from the yamaha trainwreck, but I've been looking at some pedals for my ms-20 and minibrute that I've decided to keep and came across this:

Chorus + Delay would be enough but also adding a distortion to the front of it sounds like a great all in one mono synth pedal for only $215.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.
Wow, people are really losing their poo poo over this. Yamaha always screams a company leaning towards mass-market so I'm surprised people are so shocked and angry that they'd swing that way. I mean, I could see if their teasers had been all about "we're bringing the DX7 into the modern era" but I didn't get that vibe. Given how every company seems to be producing their version of the Volca now it's a fair choice, even if I probably wouldn't buy it.

Oh, and saw the Roland modules - guy at the shop said don't bother trying to use Euro power, they could barely get one module powered up in a rack, let alone two. I'm not really bummed by that, since they've got their own power adapter anyway and I'd rather not expand my rack anymore if I got any of them, but still, it's something to keep in mind.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

stillvisions posted:

Oh, and saw the Roland modules - guy at the shop said don't bother trying to use Euro power, they could barely get one module powered up in a rack, let alone two. I'm not really bummed by that, since they've got their own power adapter anyway and I'd rather not expand my rack anymore if I got any of them, but still, it's something to keep in mind.

hahahahahahahahahahahahaha seriously??

just looked 'em up. 450ma per module. what the drat hell

Stabbing Spork
Apr 9, 2006
Sonicstate has video demos of all 4 of those Yamaha keyboards. They also expect the price if each one to be £347, or $500 USD which puts them in the same price range as a JD-Xi or a minibrute.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.

Stabbing Spork posted:

Sonicstate has video demos of all 4 of those Yamaha keyboards. They also expect the price if each one to be £347, or $500 USD which puts them in the same price range as a JD-Xi or a minibrute.
Yeah, was just coming here to post about those videos.

Only watched the DX one. It sounds great, and honestly I do think it's a pretty slick design for being so minimal. But like the Roland Airas, this whole Reface line is just not for me. If I'm going to invest in hardware, I need something that really makes a case for itself as an alternative to plugins.

Why is the industry so damned determined on forcing reduced-size keys on the market? Is it purely a cost issue? I grew up playing regular sized keys and I just can't get used to anything smaller.

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion

Radiapathy posted:

Why is the industry so damned determined on forcing reduced-size keys on the market? Is it purely a cost issue? I grew up playing regular sized keys and I just can't get used to anything smaller.

I think all these big brands are seeing the relative success of small portable (and cheap) pieces of kit like the Volcas, Micro/Minibrute, ARIA, Monotribe, Mini Kaosspads, etc and probably get the best return on investment (cheap) on synths like that, at least at the consumer or hobbyist level of buyer. They can make nice gifts for a birthday (because they're cheap) or a starter piece of kit for someone who's just getting into making music. And maybe at a musician level they're seeing people buy these little boxes as a (cheap) supplement to a live performance.

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

Stabbing Spork posted:

If that's true then you can get a DX7 with two more operators and twice the polyphony and a normal size keyboard for less than the new DX. I will concede that I just watched the Sonic State video and it does sound really good, but FM8 is 200 bucks and Dexed is free.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Bilal posted:

If that's true then you can get a DX7 with two more operators and twice the polyphony and a normal size keyboard for less than the new DX.

Two words: noise floor. If you're recording, a DX7 is not going to cut it in a quiet mix. The new engine is likely 32-bit, and the DACs aren't from 1985.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I think they sound amazing and look incredibly fun, but that's way over my budget :(

The youtube comments (yeah yeah, I know) on the videos are acting like Yamaha just killed their parents or something, there are literally people crying that the end is nigh. :cripes:

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
It's also interesting that they have a dedicated feedback section with each operator having independent feedback. It will be nice if it was freely routable, but I doubt they'd go that complex on this instrument. It seems like it's limited to "safe" values as he cranked feedback on the first operator and got a euphonious result, which won't happen on a DX7.

But the short answer is buy FM8, because it will be an order of magnitude more powerful than the Reface DX.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Your Computer posted:

I think they sound amazing and look incredibly fun, but that's way over my budget :(
As per usual when something cool is announced, the top price I'd be willing to pay is about half what turns out to be the rrp.

Bilal posted:

Dexed is free.
Hold the loving phone, mate. Don't just drop this like an afterthought. Free is extremely my bag. Why didn't I know about this.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx
Only listened to the CP so far since it was the only one that interested me but :wtc:... no upright or grand setting?

Personally I hope they release these as just sound modules without the mini keys (not that I'm personally against mini keys but :lol: playing anything non mono with a 3 or less octave keyboard) because the concept is cool but the mini key thing takes up way to much space to use them as sound machines.

A Winner is Jew fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Jul 8, 2015

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Radiapathy posted:

They are? It is? Tiny keys are loving awesome, dude. My cbx-k1 has three octaves and basically fits in a messenger bag.

If those new tiny Yamaha's were closer to the 1-2 hundred price range I'd probably get one just to replace it.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
are there any other hardware FM synths currently on the market?

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Dotcom Jillionaire posted:

I think all these big brands are seeing the relative success of small portable (and cheap) pieces of kit like the Volcas, Micro/Minibrute, ARIA, Monotribe, Mini Kaosspads, etc and probably get the best return on investment (cheap) on synths like that, at least at the consumer or hobbyist level of buyer. They can make nice gifts for a birthday (because they're cheap) or a starter piece of kit for someone who's just getting into making music. And maybe at a musician level they're seeing people buy these little boxes as a (cheap) supplement to a live performance.

I like the mini DX and I'm tempted by it but I would be royally pissed if I bought one and then they decided to release one with more features afterwards. The bite-sized tease models would be okay if I knew that's all they were planning to release. Still probably wouldn't at that price, though. Roland at least released the big and small JD in the same announcement to avoid that. I doubt they'd bother, but just in case it'd be a nagging doubt before getting it.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever

Mr. Glass posted:

are there any other hardware FM synths currently on the market?

Only commercial production one is Korg's MOD7 in the Kronos, you can do it on the Kurzweils but it's work to put it together initially. The Solaris was supposed to have a phase mod oscillator to do regular old DX style FM but it still hasn't been implemented afaik. If you're willing to DIY, there's PreenFM2 which will eat DX7 sysex.

Stabbing Spork posted:

We were kvetching in IRC (#synths on syn, bithc) about them and I figured $250-350. If it's loving five, just wow.

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

Flipperwaldt posted:

Hold the loving phone, mate. Don't just drop this like an afterthought. Free is extremely my bag. Why didn't I know about this.

Have you tried it? https://github.com/asb2m10/dexed It loads DX7 sysex and it sounds awesome. Even has different playback modes with different levels of noise and different ways the algorithms are calculated (clean, DX7, and OPL style.)

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

Startyde posted:

Only commercial production one is Korg's MOD7 in the Kronos, you can do it on the Kurzweils but it's work to put it together initially. The Solaris was supposed to have a phase mod oscillator to do regular old DX style FM but it still hasn't been implemented afaik. If you're willing to DIY, there's PreenFM2 which will eat DX7 sysex.

We were kvetching in IRC (#synths on syn, bithc) about them and I figured $250-350. If it's loving five, just wow.

The blofeld's oscillators can modulate each other, and the King Korg and Electribe 2 have 2-operator FM voices, but that isn't the same as 4/6 operator yamaha syle FM.

I still like playing with those "Oscillators" on my Electribe, even if you can only edit them one way.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

drat, haven't posted in this thread for ages.

What's the Synth Goon lowdown on the Arturia Minilab? It looks perfect for what I'd currently like to get, and the reviews are mostly very positive, but the price tag is so ridiculously low for what it is and the software it comes with it makes me kind of suspicious about the build quality. Has anyone had one in intensive use for a longer time? Still holding up?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Bilal posted:

Have you tried it? https://github.com/asb2m10/dexed It loads DX7 sysex and it sounds awesome. Even has different playback modes with different levels of noise and different ways the algorithms are calculated (clean, DX7, and OPL style.)
Yeah, I downloaded it promptly after you mentioned it. I don't even care that it attempts to emulate the DX7; free proper FM synth vstis are (were) rare as hens teeth. But I stopped looking a while ago after trying some that were really gimmicky.

This seems to work great. I still don't understand everything about it, but the point is I can learn now. And apparently rummage through the thousands of DX7 presets you can download, which is neat.

CAT rear end now!!! posted:

What's the Synth Goon lowdown on the Arturia Minilab?
I bought one early and the encoders would frequently skip discrete values, really bad. That was my main complaint. But looking at firmware updates, there are different hardware versions now. I complained in this thread when I got it and I recently went through it all again in the gear trade thread (? maybe) and the guy asking about it did buy one and didn't notice such problems. So I don't really know if they fixed it.

I'll recommend you to do what that guy did and that is to wait with installing the software bundle until you've tried the hardware for a couple of days. That should make returning it easier, should it come to that. Use some midi monitoring program/plugin to study the output of the encoders and see if all values come through in absolute mode.

If the encoders were fixed, it's really ok value for the money. The keyboard isn't great, but after getting used to it, it works alright. If I had other complaints initially, I forgot, so they couldn't have been that bad.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
The funny thing about Reface is that they're almost certainly identical hardware behind the front panel. What differentiates them is in the software and UI.

I thought they might have been slightly different, with the CP having "analog delay", but it turns out that it's just a digital emulation of a tape delay.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Flipperwaldt posted:

I bought one early and the encoders would frequently skip discrete values, really bad. That was my main complaint. But looking at firmware updates, there are different hardware versions now. I complained in this thread when I got it and I recently went through it all again in the gear trade thread (? maybe) and the guy asking about it did buy one and didn't notice such problems. So I don't really know if they fixed it.

I'll recommend you to do what that guy did and that is to wait with installing the software bundle until you've tried the hardware for a couple of days. That should make returning it easier, should it come to that. Use some midi monitoring program/plugin to study the output of the encoders and see if all values come through in absolute mode.

If the encoders were fixed, it's really ok value for the money. The keyboard isn't great, but after getting used to it, it works alright. If I had other complaints initially, I forgot, so they couldn't have been that bad.

Thanks for the heads-up :) I'll get one when I get back to Finland next month and see how it goes.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
i'm (attempting to) build a 12U eurorack suitcase.

this will hold 6U*104hp with a small empty space at the back to store patch cables and the power adapter, and maybe a qunexus. then i'm going to make another identical case and attach it to this one with a hinge. i'm thinking about covering it with either tolex or tweed? i haven't decided yet.

i think i have sawdust coming out of my ears, though.

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
I wish I had access to tools

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

just be like me and extend your GAS to apply to tools :downs:

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Where do you live? A lot of metro areas now have a hackerspace available. You can rent crazy the use of some amazing tools/equipment pretty easily, and also get classes on how to use them properly. A lot even have like open workshop nights where you can just come in and chat/work on projects with people.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

toadee posted:

Where do you live? A lot of metro areas now have a hackerspace available. You can rent crazy the use of some amazing tools/equipment pretty easily, and also get classes on how to use them properly. A lot even have like open workshop nights where you can just come in and chat/work on projects with people.

also if you're willing to work a lot harder for worse results you can get by with hardly any power tools. the only power tools i have are a chop saw, a drill, and a router

you burn a lot of calories when you only have hand planes

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

The more beatstep pro videos I watch the greater my lust becomes. WHY AREN'T THEY OUT YET I WANT TO BUY ONE

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

net work error posted:

The more beatstep pro videos I watch the greater my lust becomes. WHY AREN'T THEY OUT YET I WANT TO BUY ONE

good news: it is!

http://www.ctrl-mod.com/Arturia-Beatstep-p/arturia-beatstep-pro.htm

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

I know I should wait for more consumer impressions, but I really just wanna run out and buy the drat thing now.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Wanna start my otb techno setup with the beatstep pro and an s1000 or something. Recommend me an 8/12 bit 1u sample i can load with normal floppies itt.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

be glad the orderlies let you have spoons.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009

net work error posted:

I kind of wonder what they're like compared to using the new Electribes to sequence stuff. Naturally you're missing trigger/CV out, but my stuff is MIDI only so that doesn't factor in.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

LOVE LOVE SKELETON posted:

I know I should wait for more consumer impressions, but I really just wanna run out and buy the drat thing now.

Personally I'm holding off on getting anything until after I move in a few months, and I'm waiting for the pyramid sequencer to become available in the US.

Only 1 cv/gate out but it also has a configurable cv envelope out... and it's hertz/volt configurable . Between that and the two cv outs on a demora i'm basically set for all the cv needs i'll ever have.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

A Winner is Jew posted:

Personally I'm holding off on getting anything until after I move in a few months, and I'm waiting for the pyramid sequencer to become available in the US.

Only 1 cv/gate out but it also has a configurable cv envelope out... and it's hertz/volt configurable . Between that and the two cv outs on a demora i'm basically set for all the cv needs i'll ever have.

dang, for some reason i thought this had two cv outs. must have gotten it confused with the beatstep pro.

oh well. could just plug it into a midi-to-cv module i guess. i'll probably still end up buying one.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Beatstep Pro does Hz/Volt. It's part of the configuration software.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Tayter Swift posted:

Beatstep Pro does Hz/Volt. It's part of the configuration software.

Since when?

I distinctly remember reading that it would only be oct/v only like the original beatstep which was why I wasn't interested in it.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
They rolled out a few videos yesterday on it. Check around 12:19 in this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOMiTvdb1jk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
From the depths of the AHML-

quote:

There is options to change from S-trig to gate (neg/pos open shut) and also Hz/V and V/Oct so it's very well thought out.
Further inspection and you can also change the length of the gate time on the drum triggers, so this may be good for triggering the volca's sequencers from the drum triggers. Please note though that syncing via the sync out to volcas works perfectly. What I am talking about here is triggering other sequencers via the drum gates, such as a sh101, volcas and teenage engineering Pocket Operators.
The looper is also a roller, so you can do drum rolls or synth stab repeats (if that's your fancy).
I also found that it has a tie note option, so making the MAM MB33's slide is also doable.

Awww yeaaaa