Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

ShineDog posted:

Suicide Squad seems like the best choice for a game after this. DC has a videogame problem that marvel doesn't really share where the characters the mainstream really knows are pretty much Batman, Batfamily, or ridiculously powered gods who probably don't make for the best games.

Rocksteady is tied to WB. It's DC, some other WB related tie in or something original, basically.

EDIT: Misread that as Sinister Six. Ignore me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

QuantumNinja posted:

I think it's ironic that you're complaining about difficulty in one breath and praising it in the next.

The hardest fights on hard are tough but fair, if I gently caress up it's my fault. The tank combat is just random bullshit. In retrospect I should have put some points into batmobile armor, but you should be able to do the thing with as little aid as possible.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Mr. Flunchy posted:

The hardest fights on hard are tough but fair, if I gently caress up it's my fault. The tank combat is just random bullshit. In retrospect I should have put some points into batmobile armor, but you should be able to do the thing with as little aid as possible.

On hard mode, it is reasonable for them to expect you to have picked your upgrades intelligently.

Aquasnake
Jan 30, 2013

"I... I did well, didn't I?"

theflyingorc posted:

On hard mode, it is reasonable for them to expect you to have picked your upgrades intelligently.

Avoiding all armor upgrades is by far the most intelligent way to upgrade. You don't get enough upgrade points to get everything. So you might as well get upgrades that actually help you, give you more versatility for utility instead of wasting it on upgrades that give you no real benfit if you play well enough.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Aquasnake posted:

Avoiding all armor upgrades is by far the most intelligent way to upgrade. You don't get enough upgrade points to get everything. So you might as well get upgrades that actually help you, give you more versatility for utility instead of wasting it on upgrades that give you no real benfit if you play well enough.

lol no, if your planned strategy is "i will not make any mistakes", then you don't really get to complain that the game punishes your mistakes too heavily.

I've grabbed armor as a pretty high priority in every game, because while I'm good enough to play the game on hard I have no interest in playing perfectly.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Throw all your upgrades into the batmobile, particularly the ones that make your shots hit harder or reload faster - its downright necessary in a way that "useless but cool batman combat move" isn't.

I really wish they didn't nerf the disruptor so much - the finickiness of trying to "shoot" their gun combined with the gadget wheel means I rarely use it this time around.

Come to think of it, that gadget wheel is really weird on the ps4. It seems like I generally have to keep the D-pad held down to keep it open, except some times a light tap will open it. And sometimes a light tap just pops it up real quick and then disappears.

Aquasnake
Jan 30, 2013

theflyingorc posted:

lol no, if your planned strategy is "i will not make any mistakes", then you don't really get to complain that the game punishes your mistakes too heavily.

I've grabbed armor as a pretty high priority in every game, because while I'm good enough to play the game on hard I have no interest in playing perfectly.

I never complained the game punishes too heavily, I've played through all the games on hard and I always get armor last, everything else is much better bang for your buck. You don't have to play perfectly, just decently.

Aquasnake fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jul 7, 2015

Reo
Apr 11, 2003

That'll do, Carlos.
That'll do.

theflyingorc posted:

That's a pretty inexcusable oversight, actually. Somebody's job should have been to go over the story in NG+ and make sure you can't sequence break with extra gadgets.
Wow, I'm really lucky. I loaded my earliest backup save, and there were still other drones flying around in the sky; worked my way back to that mission, and one was close enough to get in range of the hack remote, and the game counted it as the checkpoint and let me move freely again.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Narcissus1916 posted:

Throw all your upgrades into the batmobile, particularly the ones that make your shots hit harder or reload faster
Yup. Once I realized just how often I'd be using Batmobile weaponry in the same kinds of fights, I made sure to prioritize them.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Aquasnake posted:

I never complained the game punishes too heavily, I've played through all the games on hard and I always get armor last, everything else is much better bang for your buck. You don't have to play perfectly, just decently.

Yeah but I'm talking about the other guy. :)

The most important upgrades are Tank Shot speed and the thing that makes your combo moves doable at 5 instead of 8.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

redbackground posted:

Yup. Once I realized just how often I'd be using Batmobile weaponry in the same kinds of fights, I made sure to prioritize them.
My train of thought was after seeing how many moves you start off with and how used I am to the combat/predator stuff, the upgrades were useless or wouldn't make as huge of an impact, even the armour for Batman. The Batmobile on the other hand kept getting a lot of use and was fairly new so I decided on those upgrades more often than not to give myself a little more breathing room.

AmbassadorFriendly
Nov 19, 2008

Don't leave me hangin'

QuantumNinja posted:

I think it's ironic that you're complaining about difficulty in one breath and praising it in the next.

Eh, the Batmobile combat is frustrating and not fun enough that I don't want to be forced into long drawnout tank fights all the time.

But I've also played 4 of these games and I'm not awful at combat and predator stuff. Those are pretty fun, especially with some of the new enemies and new gadgets to play with. Now I just wish we had more challenge maps.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Hahaha, took me loving forever to find the final Riddle. I was convinced it was a statue or something, and got increasingly annoyed that no more Riddler goons were spawning.

It's the Batmobile. :downs:

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Sober posted:

My train of thought was after seeing how many moves you start off with and how used I am to the combat/predator stuff, the upgrades were useless or wouldn't make as huge of an impact, even the armour for Batman. The Batmobile on the other hand kept getting a lot of use and was fairly new so I decided on those upgrades more often than not to give myself a little more breathing room.

A lot of the gadget/fighting upgrades were things that I would use maybe like once or twice a game (esp. needing longer smoke pellets and various specialized takedowns). Quicker recharge on the canon? Yeah, I'm going to be using that a few hundred times.

Same with the Batman armor--if I'm being shot or punched that much, I'm not Batmanning correctly.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jul 7, 2015

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Narcissus1916 posted:

Throw all your upgrades into the batmobile, particularly the ones that make your shots hit harder or reload faster - its downright necessary in a way that "useless but cool batman combat move" isn't.

Yeah. Batmobile weaponry is the first set of upgrades, then the key combat moves (D&D, X5 specials, Free flow Mk 2, Criticals), Fear takedowns, and then armor or gadgets.

At least once you get to Founders you start swimming in skill points.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Some of these trophies are going to be a pain in the butt--5 perfect critical shots in a row without taking damage? That is going to be really hard.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

theflyingorc posted:

Batman can take four or five hits from gunfire OR melee before he goes down, even on hard mode, at base health. Your health refills to completely full after any fight, even a non-story-related one. The health upgrades are completely useless even if you make mistakes.

edit: Hell, Arkham Knight made it even easier re: gunfire because bullets actually plink away at you now instead of one hit = one health chunk.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Emron posted:

Some of these trophies are going to be a pain in the butt--5 perfect critical shots in a row without taking damage? That is going to be really hard.
If you're on PC it's not too difficult, just switch to mouse aim if you're on a controller. Luckily you can score them on AR challengers, so untouchable is probably your best bet.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Anyone have any ideas whats behind all these discarded prams around Gotham? Some are empty, some have hosed up little dollies in

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

poptart_fairy posted:

Hahaha, took me loving forever to find the final Riddle. I was convinced it was a statue or something, and got increasingly annoyed that no more Riddler goons were spawning.

It's the Batmobile. :downs:

I'm at like 85% and I got this riddle completely by accident :v:

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

CJacobs posted:

Batman can take four or five hits from gunfire OR melee before he goes down, even on hard mode, at base health. Your health refills to completely full after any fight, even a non-story-related one. The health upgrades are completely useless even if you make mistakes.
I enjoy a health upgrade or two, call me old fashioned. Sometimes the ol' hands get a little sloppy during a fight with lots of enemy types, which button combinations disable which enemies etc, I found them useful. Plus they're inexpensive for the first couple.

The game has so many optional things to upgrade, but so many points, it'd be tough to really do anything wrong. For me having the special combo shock move and the combo grapple move was good, but I didn't need the combo gel move, etc. And in general I didn't use a lot of pre-placed explosive gels so I didn't upgrade those much, etc. I heard the double dodge on the batmobile was a key upgrade but I never needed to get it. There's no one way to do it really.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Sober posted:

If you're on PC it's not too difficult, just switch to mouse aim if you're on a controller. Luckily you can score them on AR challengers, so untouchable is probably your best bet.

I'm on PS4. I ran through untouchable a few times, and the best I could get to was three. It's not the "don't take damage" bit, it's that sometimes I swear the crosshairs are on the vital spot and still miss.

(Other times I just miss because I'm bad at video games)

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

The only upgrades you should only go for when you've nothing else to spend are the disruptor - stun sticks and disruptor - drone gun upgrades. Those should be the last of the last. Especially the latter, why would you use it, except for comedic purposes?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
So I gave the Riddler bullshit an honest try. After an hour or so of not even getting halfway past Bleake Island, I just called it quits, beat the game, and am about to youtube the Knightfall Protocol because for some reason despite Riddler being the only thing I'm missing I can't even trigger the incomplete ending.

EDIT: Yup glad I youtubed it

Calaveron fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jul 7, 2015

Tyree
Sep 11, 2003

STRETCH

STRETCH

STRETCH

ShineDog posted:

Suicide Squad seems like the best choice for a game after this. DC has a videogame problem that marvel doesn't really share where the characters the mainstream really knows are pretty much Batman, Batfamily, or ridiculously powered gods who probably don't make for the best games.

They could just make a Green Arrow game. How much would they have to change really? I'm pretty sure the cast of Arrow wouldn't have much of an issue doing the voice work either.

Aquasnake
Jan 30, 2013

Sober posted:

The only upgrades you should only go for when you've nothing else to spend are the disruptor - stun sticks and disruptor - drone gun upgrades. Those should be the last of the last. Especially the latter, why would you use it, except for comedic purposes?
Are you talking about the skills to completely invalidate stun sticks. And blow up drones that shoot at you? Two incredibly nice quality of life skills?

Tyree posted:

They could just make a Green Arrow game. How much would they have to change really? I'm pretty sure the cast of Arrow wouldn't have much of an issue doing the voice work either.

After watching Arrow, I feel a Green Arrow game would be better handled by Naughty Dog's style of melee combat, and I'm pretty sure they have more experience with ranged combat as well that would be vital for Green Arrow too. Now that I think about it, the parkour works as well.

Aquasnake fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jul 7, 2015

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

MeatwadIsGod posted:

I'm at like 85% and I got this riddle completely by accident :v:

I never put two and two together when I got "subject obscured" if it was in shot!

Crashbee
May 15, 2007

Stupid people are great at winning arguments, because they're too stupid to realize they've lost.

Aquasnake posted:

Are you talking about the skills to completely invalidate stun sticks. And blow up drones that shoot at you? Two incredibly nice quality of life skills?

Nah, the disruptor stun stick and drone disable skills are pretty useless. The Rec gun and disarm and destroy are both better for stun stickers and it's usually trivial to sneak up behind the dozen or so drone operators in the game.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Man, going back to Arkham Asylum is such a refresher from this game. Arkham Asylum has, I think, four enemy types. This game has twelve. I really really like this game but they went super batshit overboard with how many gadgets/moves Batman has and how many types of enemies there are and the tactics they require.

edit: Asylum has:

- Normal mooks
- Knife guys (require a cape stun)
- Shield guys (require a stun/block break)
- Zapper guys (require a dodge or otherwise attack from behind)

Occasionally there are titan enemies but they're mostly for boss fights.

This game has:

- Normal mooks
- Medics (I won't count their resurrection/lightning-imbuing as multiple enemy types here)
- Ninjas (don't even make sense in this game)
- Drone guys
- Tall guys (require a stun + beat down)
- Tall shield guys (require a big stun + beat down)
- Tall zapper guys (require a backflip + stun + beat down)
- Tall knife guys (the same as the normal tall guys except they can do knife attacks)

And at least one I can't remember off the top of my head. Half of that list just feels so unnecessary and cluttered.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jul 7, 2015

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

The drone gun distruptor is actually the one for the tanks. 8 Waynetech points. Better just spend those on the Batmobile armour upgrades, roll up and shoot the drat thing instead.

Crashbee
May 15, 2007

Stupid people are great at winning arguments, because they're too stupid to realize they've lost.

CJacobs posted:

And at least one I can't remember off the top of my head. Half of that list just feels so unnecessary and cluttered.

The minigunners? Plus the electrified mooks.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

CJacobs posted:

Man, going back to Arkham Asylum is such a refresher from this game. Arkham Asylum has, I think, four enemy types. This game has twelve. I really really like this game but they went super batshit overboard with how many gadgets/moves Batman has and how many types of enemies there are and the tactics they require.

edit: Asylum has:

- Normal mooks

Occasionally there are titan enemies but they're mostly for boss fights.

This game has:

- Normal mooks
- Medics (I won't count their resurrection/lightning-imbuing as multiple enemy types here)
- Ninjas (don't even make sense in this game)
- Drone guys
- Tall guys (require a stun + beat down)
- Tall shield guys (require a big stun + beat down)
- Tall zapper guys (require a backflip + stun + beat down)
- Tall knife guys (the same as the normal tall guys except they can do knife attacks)

If we're talking about for combat, then your list is close. Knife is usually rioter only, not Militia. Militia I guess get ninjas. Blade takedown timings are drastically different from AC/AO too. Knife and sword (3 and 4 taps)

You can also quickfire REC to disable the stunsticks temporarily. REC vs shield or brute causes them to swipe wildly around them.

Drone dudes are predator only.

Brutes (the big tall guys) require a beatdown or 2 takedown combos (Y+B/Triangle+Circle). Shield brutes actually need an aerial attack INTO a beatdown.

The more advanced brutes are just variations on the same - shield/stun stick/blades. The most elite ones swap inbetween mid fight but have the same methods to deal with. Remember if you use a hard counter against a specific enemy type (aerial attack vs. shield, beatdown vs. brutes) you get invincibility frames, whereas you don't if you just do them on the 'wrong' type.

Also to note if you pick up a weapon (bat, pipe, etc.) then you can just basic strike - it goes through all enemy types.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Calaveron posted:

So I gave the Riddler bullshit an honest try. After an hour or so of not even getting halfway past Bleake Island, I just called it quits, beat the game, and am about to youtube the Knightfall Protocol because for some reason despite Riddler being the only thing I'm missing I can't even trigger the incomplete ending.

EDIT: Yup glad I youtubed it
I like Catwoman's reaction to Riddler's bullshit. What's the point of actually tracking down the trophies if he's just going to indefinitely hangout in a pit anyway?

The Riddler stuff worked in Asylum because it was a smaller space. Also, the riddles seemed better. They were rarely fun in City, and I wish Knight had just replaced them entirely with the races and death traps.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

CJacobs posted:

You people are playing a lot more cautiously than I do, apparently. Predator challenges are basically "how fast can I do this"

Also, I finished every challenge room in City and I never got used to the timing on countering brutes in Arkham Knight.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Funky Valentine posted:

Considering the blunt hints that Barb's death wasn't real to begin with - like Joker physically moving the gun she picked up - it's a really loving stupid complaint.

Well, that could have been part of the hallucination.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

theflyingorc posted:

You people are playing a lot more cautiously than I do, apparently. Predator challenges are basically "how fast can I do this"

Also, I finished every challenge room in City and I never got used to the timing on countering brutes in Arkham Knight.
Brutes in AK are on their own rhythm or something which is why you'll occasionally get smacked coming out of a move or something. Your best bet is to just constantly dodge around them, KO them fast (beatdown will give you a good 2 seconds or so of invinciblity frames or queue 2 takedowns on them) or CC them.

Timeless Appeal posted:

I like Catwoman's reaction to Riddler's bullshit. What's the point of actually tracking down the trophies if he's just going to indefinitely hangout in a pit anyway?

The Riddler stuff worked in Asylum because it was a smaller space. Also, the riddles seemed better. They were rarely fun in City, and I wish Knight had just replaced them entirely with the races and death traps.
AA Riddler trophies were mostly just placed behind vents and walls. A good portion of AC's trophies required you to think about how to use your gadgets like the remote batarang, line launcher, explosive gel or even the shock blast dive bomb in interesting ways.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
brutes punch ridiculously fast given how big they are

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Crashbee posted:

Nah, the disruptor stun stick and drone disable skills are pretty useless. The Rec gun and disarm and destroy are both better for stun stickers and it's usually trivial to sneak up behind the dozen or so drone operators in the game.

The drone upgrade is useful against any type of drone in the game that isn't a sentry gun. This includes tanks, the big turret platforms, helicopters, and flying drones.

There are a few late game checkpoints where this makes it incredibly easy to ace without just using the batmobile.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
The only upgrades I've found to be completely useless are the Glide Gadgets. I saved all of those for last.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snark
Sep 19, 2003

no dice
Yeah I was annoyed by the cornhole-a-Cobra combat after a while. I get that they were going for Tank Predator mode to mix up the Batmobile combat. But there really aren't enough tricks to pull to make it satisfying. You either luck out with a tank that is far from his buddies, or you get the Cobra lure to draw one out. That's about it.

In contrast, this is the most fun I've had with the regular predator mode in all four games. To be honest, I tended to cheese them from Asylum to Origins. I did a shitload of Inverted Takedowns to the point where I spent a lot of time cutting mooks down just so I could string up another. AK gives you so many options that you can change strategies on the fly. I'd go in for some kind of basic takedown and find I could pull off a Fear chain, or wind up close enough to a drone guy to hack his controller and take out three at once. And any disruptor takedown that made goons take themselves out was great.

• Locked thread