Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Kwyndig posted:

Mine asteroids, ship the finished products back to Earth via safe and effective gravity drop. No sense polluting our planet any more than we need to.

Safe isn't really a thing when you're lobbing house-sized chunks of metal at the surface. When you say "gravity drop", what you mean is "re-entry". In order to control where it landed, you need thrusters on the side of it, which become prohibitively expensive when you're talking about the size of the drop. Plus they're moving at speeds of up to 20 times the speed of sound at sea level. And they're not going to be able to be slowed down by aerodynamics like a space shuttle or Apollo capsule. What you're talking about is getting into the size of meteorite that caused the Tunguska event in 1908.

WarpedNaba posted:

Mine the moon, turn it into the Solar System's biggest factory.

Now you're talking. No atmosphere to explode the rocks, much lower gravity means much lower re-entry speeds. Water (and therefore hydrogen/oxygen) available as ice. Plentiful solar power with no atmosphere to attenuate. And no ecosystems to gently caress up with massive influxes of heavy metals.

Memento has a new favorite as of 04:37 on Jul 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Kwyndig posted:

Mine asteroids, ship the finished products back to Earth via safe and effective gravity drop.

So my plan, then.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

TerminalSaint posted:

Emergency room removal is a concern that has been raised, since they can't be cut off with the standard tools. Techniques and tools have since been developed, including simply cracking it off with vise grips.

Edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EehzzXsi3wk

That channel reads like a terrible guerilla marketing attempt by a gold manufacturer. :psyduck:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yy9R5QHURzw

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Memento posted:

Safe isn't really a thing when you're lobbing house-sized chunks of metal at the surface. When you say "gravity drop", what you mean is "re-entry". In order to control where it landed, you need thrusters on the side of it, which become prohibitively expensive when you're talking about the size of the drop. Plus they're moving at speeds of up to 20 times the speed of sound at sea level. And they're not going to be able to be slowed down by aerodynamics like a space shuttle or Apollo capsule. What you're talking about is getting into the size of meteorite that caused the Tunguska event in 1908.

Now you're talking. No atmosphere to explode the rocks, much lower gravity means much lower re-entry speeds. Water (and therefore hydrogen/oxygen) available as ice. Plentiful solar power with no atmosphere to attenuate. And no ecosystems to gently caress up with massive influxes of heavy metals.

I would try to write something out about how asteroid mining is going too be way to expensive and impractical for hundreds of years yet, but the guys over in the spaceflight thread can do it far better than me. Doing anything in space is going to cost millions of times what it costs to do the same thing on Earth.

It would many orders of magnitude cheaper and easier to build a manufacturing plant at the bottom of the ocean or beneath an Antarctic glacier than build one in space or on the Moon.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
I'm not entirely sure hyperpressure materials will be feasible (or available in the required quantities) for deep sea mines/factories in the near to mid future, though.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Deteriorata posted:

I would try to write something out about how asteroid mining is going too be way to expensive and impractical for hundreds of years yet, but the guys over in the spaceflight thread can do it far better than me. Doing anything in space is going to cost millions of times what it costs to do the same thing on Earth.

Admittedly, if you had orbital manufacturing at the top of the gravity well building orbital manufacturing would be far cheaper.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

WarpedNaba posted:

I'm not entirely sure hyperpressure materials will be feasible (or available in the required quantities) for deep sea mines/factories in the near to mid future, though.

It's more "imagine having to build and supply a manufacturing plant at the bottom of the ocean, or under and Antarctic glacier. Spend some time on the construction problems you'd encounter, keeping it staffed, and keeping it in repair and productive. Now multiply those costs and difficulties by 10,000,0000 and you'll have a rough idea of how difficult it will be to do in space."

Mining asteroids seems really cool until you start getting into what it actually takes to get such an operation running and then keep it running. Are you going to maintain a continuous manned presence? You're going to need crew quarters and resupply and rotation missions to handle them. Are your miners going to be spacemen in suits or robots? How do you transport the ore to the refinery? How do you run the refinery by remote control? How do you handle it when something breaks? Will you need a machine shop, or modular components that will be swapped out and returned to Earth for repairs?

And so on. The more questions you start asking about how it's actually going to work, the more difficult and expensive problems you find that all have to be solved successfully in order for it all to work.

It certainly could work eventually, but building the entire manufacturing ecosystem so that it can all work together efficiently and effectively is going to take a very long time and a whole lot of momney.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

If you have the capability to perform a controlled drop of a chunk of asteroid into a target on Earth, what's to stop you from targeting a city instead?

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Why do you have to suck all the fun out of space?

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Johnny Aztec posted:

Why do you have to suck all the fun out of space?

Space is a vacuum.

It sucks by itself :v:

and the claw won!
Jul 10, 2008

vOv posted:

If you have the capability to perform a controlled drop of a chunk of asteroid into a target on Earth, what's to stop you from targeting a city instead?

It would be hard to collect all the valuable asteroid rocks with a city in the way. Also we already have the technology to obliterate cities real good without needing to resort to asteroids.

Pity Party Animal
Jul 23, 2006

vOv posted:

Weak troll '14

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Deteriorata posted:

It would many orders of magnitude cheaper and easier to build a manufacturing plant at the bottom of the ocean or beneath an Antarctic glacier than build one in space or on the Moon.
I'm not sure about the bottom of the sea part. Sure getting stuff to orbit is expensive, but at least you only have a 1 atmosphere pressure difference to deal with. Going below a few hundred meters of sea is hard, and doing actual work there is even harder. You're relegated to ROVs for most tasks, in an environment that exerts hundreds of atmospheres of pressure, has 0 visibility and no easy escape for manned work in case of a problem. Oh and radio doesn't work under water, so everything has to be connected via cables. It may be cheaper, but I wouldn't call it magnitudes easier.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
On the other hand, apparently manganese is easy as gently caress to extract from the seabed.

Rose Spirit
Nov 4, 2010

:33 < APEX PURREDATOR

WarpedNaba posted:

On the other hand, apparently manganese is easy as gently caress to extract from the seabed.

Heck, in some places you can just go pick it up.

bzw
Mar 31, 2007
waxing
The BBC has put out a neat CYOA for basic element combinations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvblSXIdf3A

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Memento posted:

Well I was more talking about using, you know parachutes and those bouncy balloons they use for missions to Mars. Throwing some cables around a block of tungsten and attaching enough parachutes to land it safely wouldn't be a big issue with all the carbon and silicate up there. Hell, if it turns out to be easy to make aerogel in micro G we can just coat the things in the stuff and we could even drop hard into the ocean instead.

Note, I do not personally recommend dropping house sized chunks of metal anywhere. I was thinking more car sized.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Kwyndig posted:

Well I was more talking about using, you know parachutes and those bouncy balloons they use for missions to Mars. Throwing some cables around a block of tungsten and attaching enough parachutes to land it safely wouldn't be a big issue with all the carbon and silicate up there. Hell, if it turns out to be easy to make aerogel in micro G we can just coat the things in the stuff and we could even drop hard into the ocean instead.

Note, I do not personally recommend dropping house sized chunks of metal anywhere. I was thinking more car sized.
Yeah, but with smaller chunks you run into diseconomies of scale, because now you have to attach more parachutes to more lumps of rock, with larger combined surface area to coat with aerogel. The best answer will probably be to keep processing it into finished goods outside the gravity well, if only because that'd probably wind up being a necessary step between going back to the moon and reaching out to the asteroids.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

bzw posted:

The BBC has put out a neat CYOA for basic element combinations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvblSXIdf3A

It apparently doesn't believe in sodium hydride.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

It also admits the Haber process is a thing, then promptly doesn't do it.

The correct answer is Nitrogen and Iodine to make Nitrogen Triiodide.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Talibananas posted:

It would be hard to collect all the valuable asteroid rocks with a city in the way. Also we already have the technology to obliterate cities real good without needing to resort to asteroids.

Yeah but think of the fear you strike into your enemy by summoning Meteor to destroy their great city.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

It also admits the Haber process is a thing, then promptly doesn't do it.

The correct answer is Nitrogen and Iodine to make Nitrogen Triiodide.

No. It's nitrogen triiodide that explosively decomposes into nitrogen and iodine. In other words, they take the opposite reaction of what they're asking for in the first vid. I'm a chemist and couldn't find the 'winner' myself without looking at the spoiler because it doesn't make sense to just reverse stuff like this. Bad chemistry. A vid that's made to show pretty explosions and meanwhile confuses the public by giving outright wrong information. Was this made by the same guys that made the fake 'alkali explosions' vid of the British 'Brainiac' tv series?

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner
Hang on, is that voiceover the guy who did the first series of Look Around You?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Carbon dioxide posted:

No. It's nitrogen triiodide that explosively decomposes into nitrogen and iodine. In other words, they take the opposite reaction of what they're asking for in the first vid. I'm a chemist and couldn't find the 'winner' myself without looking at the spoiler because it doesn't make sense to just reverse stuff like this. Bad chemistry. A vid that's made to show pretty explosions and meanwhile confuses the public by giving outright wrong information. Was this made by the same guys that made the fake 'alkali explosions' vid of the British 'Brainiac' tv series?

The problem is when you have a setup like the one they did (8 chemicals, pick 2), you have to stretch the rules to make most of the combinations work at all.

In general, isn't any exothermic reaction involving nitrogen generally a result of the nitrogen trying to get away from whatever it was attached to, rather than the reverse? The fact that nitrogen was even an option kind of alludes to that.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah, you're right. A lot of energy is released when the strong N2 bond can be formed. Also, turning a solid or liquid into a lot of gas causes an additional entropy effect - and a bang.

A common exception is NH3, ammonia, which is quite stable. A more surprising exception I ran into while looking up some things is NF3. Apparently the electronegativity of the fluorine atoms makes the nitrogen unavailable, while fluorine/fluoride is happy to take the extra electrons. In NI3, the nitrogen atom is the most electronegative one, while the iodines are δ+. Add to that the fact that big iodines don't want to sit together, and all in all it shouldn't be too surprising that NI3 (which then SHOULD be called triiodine nitride, as the -ide is the negative part; however the official name seems to be the strangely organic name 'triiode amine') is a rather lively compound.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR
Slightly odd question incoming: my artist friend has been getting really into metals as substances recently, and has started growing Bismuth crystals at home. I'm a little fuzzy on how it's done but if I remember right it involves application of heat till melting point, and then it forms into those crazy shapes.

The point anyway, is that I assume he will be doing this melting process with minimal safety gear and no fume hood because he's a lunatic (I should have mentioned that). How badly is he going to gently caress himself up working without a fume hood?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

darkwasthenight posted:

Slightly odd question incoming: my artist friend has been getting really into metals as substances recently, and has started growing Bismuth crystals at home. I'm a little fuzzy on how it's done but if I remember right it involves application of heat till melting point, and then it forms into those crazy shapes.

The point anyway, is that I assume he will be doing this melting process with minimal safety gear and no fume hood because he's a lunatic (I should have mentioned that). How badly is he going to gently caress himself up working without a fume hood?

The bismuth itself is probably not a problem. It's fairly low in toxicity, particularly for a heavy metal. People have been ingesting antacids containing bismuth (Pepto-Bismol, for example) for years.

There very well may be hazardous fumes from impurities or other stuff associated with it. Most home cooking ranges have exhaust fans, so using those should be adequate unless he's doing something really dumb.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Making bismuth crystals is like one of those formative hippy things. Unless he's chasing the bismuth in some atypical source like purposefully huffing solder fumes I don't I'd even worry about the hood fan.

Rose Spirit
Nov 4, 2010

:33 < APEX PURREDATOR

Prenton posted:

Hang on, is that voiceover the guy who did the first series of Look Around You?

Sounded like it to me!

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Deteriorata posted:

The bismuth itself is probably not a problem. It's fairly low in toxicity, particularly for a heavy metal. People have been ingesting antacids containing bismuth (Pepto-Bismol, for example) for years.

There very well may be hazardous fumes from impurities or other stuff associated with it. Most home cooking ranges have exhaust fans, so using those should be adequate unless he's doing something really dumb.

He's an artist, of course he's doing something really dumb. Thanks anyway.

Thread content: for several decades my father was a research chemist for various industrial processes in the UK. Coal, aluminium and finally industrial dyes. He's mentioned a few good stories in the past; I particularly enjoyed the one where the brewery next door held an impromptu new years celebration that rained fireworks and bonfire sparks into his compound full of carefully stored chemicals. Not really in any danger but he claims it took him a week to retrieve his underwear from his ringpiece after he first looked out of the window and saw a 20ft bonfire burning in the yard.

My other favourite was Bob the cleaner, who came into my dad's lab one morning to find a hotplate had been left on underneath a large flask, which was now full of rather pretty needlelike crystals. Unfortunately for the cleaner the flask was full of Picric Acid (or 2,4,6-trinitrophenol) contained nice and safely underwater. As the hotplate had been on all night the water had evaporated and the acid formed into lovely TNP crystals. At this point most chemists (or at least non-german ones) would generally back out of the room quickly and quietly and go find someone who was being paid more than them to deal with it. Not having a degree in chemistry, Bob plugged in the industrial vacuum and went to work.

Miraculously he did his full sweep of the room without incident, finished his paperwork sat in the lab, walked out of the room and away down the corridor, pulling the door firmly shut behind him with a bang. A bigger one than he expected as it turned out. Luckily he was sheltered by the wall as the disturbed nitro crystals went off and nearly blew the safety door off its hinges. Bob apparently decided his luck had been used up all at once, and resigned that week to do something safer.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Management would appreciate if you would refrain from thinking such loud thoughts around the hexadecanitrofullerene.

Also, please is to be of stopping of the heart being beating so fast and hard.

insta
Jan 28, 2009
Did I math it right, where N60 has an explosive energy of 8kj per gram?

:catstare:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

insta posted:

Did I math it right, where N60 has an explosive energy of 8kj per gram?

:catstare:

I think you're a little low, considering ethanol is more than 3x that.

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=8kj

insta
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah, but ... it's the speed it happens. TNT is 2kj per gram.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
N60 as an explosive would release 50% more energy than hexanitrohexaazaisowurtzitane. Y'know, the stuff that becomes more stable when you mix it with TNT.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Energy per mass isn't quite as important a factor as its Velocity of Detonation, basically a figure of how fast the substance can release its energy.

TNT has a VoD of 6900m/s. Everyone's favorite tongue twister hexanitrohexaazaisowurtzitane goes boom at 9500m/s. I wasn't able to find any figures for hexadecanitrofullerene, but this interesting poster (!) lists smaller cubic forms of nitrogen as having a VoD between 12000 and 17600m/s. :stonklol:

Collateral Damage has a new favorite as of 23:34 on Jul 7, 2015

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

I don't have access to the full paper, but would this be any help in figuring a potential detonation velocity for N60?

It isn't what you do with it, it's how quick it's done that counts.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

DigitalRaven posted:

It isn't what you do with it, it's how quick it's done that counts.

Note that high explosives can be so stable that you can light them on fire and watch them steadily burn. Their energies of combustion are also much higher than their energies of detonation, because they're combining with atmospheric oxygen and reacting more completely than when they detonate and react only with their own built-in oxidizers. So, yeah, it's the speed at which they're turning into hot gas that matters.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Phanatic posted:

Note that high explosives can be so stable that you can light them on fire and watch them steadily burn. Their energies of combustion are also much higher than their energies of detonation, because they're combining with atmospheric oxygen and reacting more completely than when they detonate and react only with their own built-in oxidizers. So, yeah, it's the speed at which they're turning into hot gas that matters.

High explosives usually aren't going through an oxidation reaction when they detonate. The nitrogen ones are mostly being broken apart by the shockwave/energy of the primer/rest of the explosive going off, and the formerly stable molecule is now busy trying to form as many N2 molecules as possible while releasing some thermal energy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Quoting a post about a chemical associated with danger from SAL's chem thread.

contagonist posted:

Preparation of Donald Trump's Hair (Dibenzylidenecyclopentanone [DBCP])

1. Prepare reaction mixture by dissolving 5 grams solid NaOH in 25ml water, and once completely dissolved, add 25ml 95% Ethanol

2. Add 4.43 ml of cyclopentanone and 10.2 ml benzaldehyde into reaction flask while stirring. If a giant chunk of soft, chalky, discolored Trumpness forms, break up solid with stirring instrument. If there is too much Trumpness in the solution, add 95% ethanol, ~20ml.

3. Stir for 30 minutes

4. Perform Buchner-funnel vacuum filtration on suspension, washing with cold ethanol.

5. Recrystallize by adding solid to 50ml boiling 95% Ethanol, then adding 15-20 ml portions of Toluene until solid dissolves into a translucent solution, removing recrystallization liquor from heat source and letting cool in fridge overnight.

6. Collect Donald Trump's hair via Buchner Funnel filtration. Expected product should be clumps of straw colored fibrous crystals not dissimilar from fiberglass or the hairpieces of caustic, entitled wastes of human flesh.