Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

fadam posted:

I wonder what ends up being a higher average DPS for the party, Tank staying in stance with healer DPSing, or Tank in DPS stance with healer only really healing.

The former, without a doubt. With the latter, the tank is only doing 25% more damage while the healer is doing 100% less.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
That's assuming they're doing equal damage in a 'we're both dpsing' situation, which isn't true, and also assuming the healer literally doesn't get any offensive spells off at all if the tank isn't in defensive stance (this should not be the case).

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Fister Roboto posted:

The former, without a doubt. With the latter, the tank is only doing 25% more damage while the healer is doing 100% less.

I'm not sure this is necessarily true, as there's a pretty big difference when a warrior is in deliverance and focusing on DPS at least, and I'm not sure it's less DPS than a healer can put out.

And yeah what raygun said, healer should be able to sneak in DOTs at least.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Hey Furnaceface, lets quest together my friend.
Also gently caress the PSN. Now I have to download it to my computer to play :(

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light
I have no idea if I did it right but Floor 2 of Alexander is the greatest fight in MMO history.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

ActionZero posted:

I have no idea if I did it right but Floor 2 of Alexander is the greatest fight in MMO history.

It seems like it's really easy for things to become a clusterfuck without good tank coordination and any clusterfuck you can walk away from is a good time.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

Opposing Farce posted:

It seems like it's really easy for things to become a clusterfuck without good tank coordination and any clusterfuck you can walk away from is a good time.

I wasn't paying any attention to that cause I was too busy running around on a steampunk Tachikoma dragging bombs away from everyone and shooting the big things with my cannon.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Boten Anna posted:

I'm not sure this is necessarily true, as there's a pretty big difference when a warrior is in deliverance and focusing on DPS at least, and I'm not sure it's less DPS than a healer can put out.

And yeah what raygun said, healer should be able to sneak in DOTs at least.

Well obviously ideally it should never be a choice between those two with a competent tank and healer, but the question did specifically state that in the latter scenario the healer was doing 0 damage.

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

Thanks for the input, Jeff.
it's really a shame that final fantasy fourteen online a realm reborn heavensward is going to be the latest game laid to rest in the Graveyard of MMO's That Foolishly Offered More, More Accessible Content alongside games like

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
our dps's don't understand the concept of "adds." help. i guess i just live in alexander 1 now

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Francis posted:

it's really a shame that final fantasy fourteen online a realm reborn heavensward is going to be the latest game laid to rest in the Graveyard of MMO's That Foolishly Offered More, More Accessible Content alongside games like

Why couldn't Stephan Frost come work for Square-Enix instead :sigh:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Tenzarin posted:

Story mode is the real raid, in 2 weeks the harder difficulty comes out. I think its going to follow WoW as people won't want to wipe in the harder difficulty when they can just PF the lower difficulty.

The amount of people who actually raided in Coil was small and the amount of people who do Alex Hard will be just as small.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Francis posted:

I doubt it will lead FF14 down a path of hatred like WoW but I am truly interested how it gets spun.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I'm happy that people who either don't have the time or don't want to put forth the effort into doing ~real raiding~ can now experience the story without being forced to youtube it but I wish they didn't stagger the savage release because 2 weeks of this stuff is going to be a snorefest.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The only concern I have about Alex is how the savage loot system is going to work. If it's the same as what it is for normal mode, which is clearly geared towards individual casual players, then it will really suck for statics.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Tenzarin posted:

I doubt it will lead FF14 down a path of hatred like WoW but I am truly interested how it gets spun.

WoW started with 'increased difficulty, increased reward' before dumbing it down over several iterations. FF14 started in the later half of that cycle so the only people who are going to be mad about it are people who are doing things for the wrong reasons, IE 'I want a challenge but the loot sucks,' which to me sounds like you're doing stuff for the sake of getting loot and not the challenge of it.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Fister Roboto posted:

The only concern I have about Alex is how the savage loot system is going to work. If it's the same as what it is for normal mode, which is clearly geared towards individual casual players, then it will really suck for statics.

I'm betting it'll be drops.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I'm betting it'll be drops.

I'm betting like primals, drops + a token system to cushion RNG

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

EponymousMrYar posted:

WoW started with 'increased difficulty, increased reward' before dumbing it down over several iterations. FF14 started in the later half of that cycle so the only people who are going to be mad about it are people who are doing things for the wrong reasons, IE 'I want a challenge but the loot sucks,' which to me sounds like you're doing stuff for the sake of getting loot and not the challenge of it.

Don't know how you got "I want that mad loot son" from what I said, I'm just a curious spectator.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Stormgale posted:

I'm betting like primals, drops + a token system to cushion RNG

Yeah this would be really nice. I have a really bad feeling that it's going to be upgrade tokens though.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Since Savage is the real "meat" of the raiding experience they're going to want people to be running it as much as possible so I have a hard time picturing them doing something that guarantees loot, regardless of how nice it'd be.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Since Savage is the real "meat" of the raiding experience they're going to want people to be running it as much as possible so I have a hard time picturing them doing something that guarantees loot, regardless of how nice it'd be.

You've got 4 turns and 12 slots to fill. If you have each one drop the three tokens each week, you're still looking at 2 months of Alex (Hard) per class. That seems more than fine, especially if people want gear for any alts.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
So what's everyone guess for the ilvl on Esoterics (AF2) gear? with Alex normal at i190 I would guess at least matching that. I'm hoping they're going to follow the upgrade path as well and be upgradeable to i200 and be dyeable without the insane method for getting dyeable AF1/

FeralWraith
Dec 17, 2007
Lurking Bastard
Thanks to peer pressure, I'm looking into playing this now. What I'm mainly interested in is the story, not necessarily endgame raids (or whatever the true endgame is in FFXIV). I guess it might be better to just put this in list format:

- How hard is it to get groups together for older content? (I want to give everything a shot without having to pull teeth in order to get people together for it. Is that going to be an uphill battle?)

- I previously played WoW up through the first patch of WotLK and more recently, Guild Wars 2. How big of a culture shock is FFXIV going to be? (Is it going to be hard to adjust to the different gameplay?)

- With that note about playing Guild Wars 2, what kind of character customization can I look forward to?

- What kind of playerbase will I be delving into? (Goons aside, am I dealing with League of Legends-grade assholes, or is it more of a mixed bag?)

-As with any working person, I have limited time. Is there plenty of gameplay that I can sit down and enjoy for a few hours at a time, or is it going to be a game I play only on my days off?

-Exactly how awesome is Godbert? Because I've heard he's pretty great.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

X Factor posted:

Thanks to peer pressure, I'm looking into playing this now. What I'm mainly interested in is the story, not necessarily endgame raids (or whatever the true endgame is in FFXIV). I guess it might be better to just put this in list format:

- How hard is it to get groups together for older content? (I want to give everything a shot without having to pull teeth in order to get people together for it. Is that going to be an uphill battle?)

- I previously played WoW up through the first patch of WotLK and more recently, Guild Wars 2. How big of a culture shock is FFXIV going to be? (Is it going to be hard to adjust to the different gameplay?)

- With that note about playing Guild Wars 2, what kind of character customization can I look forward to?

- What kind of playerbase will I be delving into? (Goons aside, am I dealing with League of Legends-grade assholes, or is it more of a mixed bag?)

-As with any working person, I have limited time. Is there plenty of gameplay that I can sit down and enjoy for a few hours at a time, or is it going to be a game I play only on my days off?

Who cares about bias opinions, pay $20 dollars to try it out yourself. Or you can free trial up to lvl 20 which includes a summon boss fight with Ifirit.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jul 8, 2015

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Character customization is quite literally limited to what kind of clothes you like to wear. Character builds are replaced by having the ability to be any class by just swapping to the weapon that class uses. If you like theorycrafting about where to put your stats/skill points, this isn't a good game IMO. (there's one way to be "optimal" in content, and it's apparent from a mile away)

I don't find this bad, though, because this allows them to easily balance poo poo. GW2 still has broken as gently caress builds that'd be really fun to play if anyone cared.

KoB
May 1, 2009

X Factor posted:

The game has built in intensives for people to run old content. Theres never a shortage of people running even the earliest of dungeons.

FF14 community is surprisingly cool. Assholes are the minority and most people will be cool and helpful if you dont know what youre doing.

Most dungeons arent more than an hour and you can bang through them pretty fast if you know what youre doing.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

KoB posted:

Assholes are the minority

What an understatement, this is the internet it's filled with dicks and assholes.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jul 8, 2015

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

X Factor posted:

-Not very. A big part of the end game is running roulettes for bonus currency on a daily basis. These include Low Level Dungeon Roulette (you get queued for a random levelling dungeon and are level sync'd down), Main Scenario Roulette, etc. These roulettes award bonus currency for the first time you run them per day, and ensure that the queues for old content stay active for new players.

-It's not that different aside from the GCD being longer.

-Pretty princess dress up options galore but nothing like the Wardrobe function of GW2. Like others have said though, character builds aren't really a thing. This is an upside in my opinion. Classes are pretty well balanced and you can play all of them on one character. There are times where a class might be underpowered, but there hasn't been a case where a class was so underpowered as to be unuseable since Warrior at launch, and that didn't last past the first major patch.

-People are pretty chill in general. Assholes are there but generally speaking folks seem mellower.

-FF14 excels for having a massive amount of stuff to do at end game that isn't raiding, in addition to raid content. You'll be fine.

Griz
May 21, 2001

Etrips posted:

Last question for now. Did they ease the leveling since the ARR launch? Back at launch the most efficient way to level subclasses was to get to the 40s or something and farm the heck out of that one FATE that spawned a million mobs that you could link xp chains non stop.

they increased exp from main story quests so you no longer have that lovely gap in the late 40s where you have to spend hours running AV or NThan fates to unlock the next bit, and the armory bonus pre-50 is now 100% instead of 50%.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Niton posted:

You've got 4 turns and 12 slots to fill. If you have each one drop the three tokens each week, you're still looking at 2 months of Alex (Hard) per class. That seems more than fine, especially if people want gear for any alts.

One nice thing at least is that they can make the system easier in later patches for catchup by making turns drop more items and removing the weekly cap.

Kjermzs
Sep 15, 2007
I've been playing for less then 30 days but have already purchased the game and expansion. Is it too late too hook up with someone for referral perks?

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Griz posted:

they increased exp from main story quests so you no longer have that lovely gap in the late 40s where you have to spend hours running AV or NThan fates to unlock the next bit, and the armory bonus pre-50 is now 100% instead of 50%.

Excellent, installing the game now. Cannot wait to start playing again.

Captain Oblivious posted:

-FF14 excels for having a massive amount of stuff to do at end game that isn't raiding, in addition to raid content. You'll be fine.

What other things are there to do? Trying to sell this game to a friend.

Also holy poo poo what race do I play? :supaburn:

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

Mordiceius posted:

The cutscene that happens in the Churning Mists where everyone is solemnly sitting around the campfire before going to meet the white dragon at the Zenith reminded me so much of that opening scene to FFX. Anyone else get that feeling?

I'm just quoting this to say that is an extremely chill moment, kind of which this game needs more of executed in a proper manner.

Also, what's with the (around level 58 spoiler?) talking brooms? For a while I thought the weird stuff that doesn't mean anything was reference to the Twin Peaks scene with garbled speech? Is it?

KoB
May 1, 2009

Etrips posted:

It doesnt matter, so pick whatever you want.

Real answer, catgirl obviously. Gonna play pretty pretty dress up with the prettiest anime catgirl

Griz
May 21, 2001

Etrips posted:

other classes
fishing
crafting
farming old content for glamours

quote:

Roegadyn master race

generic human is boring, elves look weird with their tiny heads, and there's too many catgirls/dragongirls/potatoes

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Griz posted:

other classes
fishing
crafting
farming old content for glamours

Roegadyn master race

generic human is boring, elves look weird with their tiny heads, and there's too many catgirls/dragongirls/potatoes

Generic human is only boring if you don't do the right thing and pick a Highlander. :colbert:

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
A tip for DF groups if you know the fight and are explaining it is to be more verbose, assuming people stand still long enough to read what you're saying. Spoilered just in case:

In the first party I had for Alexander floor 1, one of the other DPS (who was a crappy little bullshit man but that's not important) said something like "kill adds in red bits under comets" and it took a few attempts for us to understand what that even meant, the lasers being a bit inconspicuous if you don't know what to look for, and besides they're not even comets.

Whereas in the next party I had (the previous one wiping repeatedly for an hour while the crappy little bullshit man BRD complained) I explained it like: "The adds in this fight drop goop puddles when they die that cause Mini. In the second phase, laser sights appear below big missiles that fall slowly, like in Xande. We need to kill a mob underneath each laser sight so that the missile gets hit with Mini and doesn't do huge damage." We wiped a few times but never to the missiles themselves (except at the end when we got too greedy trying to burn a boss down. I got five commendations when we cleared that, although it was possibly less cos of my explanations and more the surprise of a halfway-competent DRG.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Etrips posted:

Excellent, installing the game now. Cannot wait to start playing again.

Expert dungeons. Extreme difficulty Primals. Crystal Tower 24 man raids (which are pretty casual content). Crafting is it's own whole separate progression path, with crafters being their own classes with their own gear and abilities. Ditto for gatherers. Levelling other classes. :swoon:Hildibrand quests:swoon: Farming old content to be the prettiest princess.

And soon there will be whatever the Heavensward equivalent of Crystal Tower ends up being.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

X Factor posted:

It's a long ways off, but fair warning, once you get to the level 50 dungeons Praetorium and Castrum Meriandum, you're gonna want to get a goon group together specifically for the purpose of watching the cutscenes during the instance. Otherwise you'll DF into a random group that will clear the dungeon before you can really tell what's going on.

• Locked thread