Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Vertigo posted:

So..... question for you fine folks...

I think I'm either doing something wrong, or I suck at this game..

So, downloaded the game, installed it, watched the opening cutscenes, played the tutorial, got to the first village and then wandered around looking for quests. Got a whole bunch of side missions from the notice board and people in town, and then wandered up to where the little yellow circle thing was indicating my next quest goal. I get to some magic shrine area and then this ghosty/vampire/rear end in a top hat appears, I take out my sword and start the fight. I've died on him at least 5 times now. I "beat" him once and then he went inside and I followed him in, and he murdered me inside.

Is this normal? Do I just suck? Should I be doing all the sidequests first to level up?
Open your journal and see what's the quest's level requirement - if it's way higher than your level then leave it for later and choose a different one. Also open your bestiary and read about that particular enemy - his weaknesses will be listed under his picture.

Wraiths in particular can be almost invulnerable to sword damage because they're ghosts but you can make them vulnerable by casting the Yrden sign and fighting them in its circle. They're also vulnerable to some bombs but you probably haven't crafted them this early. Also use sword oils. Overall you need to read about monsters, use their weaknesses, use signs, kite them, eat food/potions to get health back etc. The early fights are the toughest.

Remember that it's an open world game and you will encounter a lot of content that is designed for a leveled up character. If you just want to become stronger fast then do the main quest line - you'll get much more experience from it than from the side content.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost

Vertigo posted:

So..... question for you fine folks...

I think I'm either doing something wrong, or I suck at this game..

So, downloaded the game, installed it, watched the opening cutscenes, played the tutorial, got to the first village and then wandered around looking for quests. Got a whole bunch of side missions from the notice board and people in town, and then wandered up to where the little yellow circle thing was indicating my next quest goal. I get to some magic shrine area and then this ghosty/vampire/rear end in a top hat appears, I take out my sword and start the fight. I've died on him at least 5 times now. I "beat" him once and then he went inside and I followed him in, and he murdered me inside.

Is this normal? Do I just suck? Should I be doing all the sidequests first to level up?

That's the ghost who guards the Viper silver sword in white orchard, it really ought to be one of the last things you do in WO before you leave. If you go to every other ?, the witcher contract and the griffon hunt then come back you should be OK. You'll know when you stand a chance once the red skull disappears from over his health bar.

e: I think thats the one you mean. Or else it's the ghost by the place of power near the Nilfgaard garrison - in which case you might just need to practice dodging a bit...

also dont forget, dodge monsters and parry humans - you can still dodge a human if you prefer but you can't parry a monster..

Slugnoid fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Jul 7, 2015

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
A lot of early game troubles has to do with the fact that the player doesn't know monster attack, dodge, and counter attack patterns along with learning how your own dodge works. You just have to sit down and die a bunch of times and just be mindful to learn how the opponents attack in the game.

Vertigo
Jul 15, 2002

That sounds good. Thanks guys. I really don't know anything about this franchise just all the acclaim this game is getting, so I wanted to ask before getting mega frustrated.

Thanks again.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Is Keira's section in Velen just particularly buggy for some reason? First the game froze during one of her dialogues, then I ran into an uninteractable red tile during one of the Witcher sense sequences, and then I had to reload the game during the ice portal sequence because my sword wouldn't come out for some reason, and Geralt was just swinging wildly into the air for no damage.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Vertigo posted:

That sounds good. Thanks guys. I really don't know anything about this franchise just all the acclaim this game is getting, so I wanted to ask before getting mega frustrated.

Thanks again.

Yeah, you are like lvl 2 or something and that monster is lvl 6 i think. early on can be the hardest part of this game because you have almost none of the tools you will have later. go do the other sidequests and get a couple levels and some better gear, and you will be fine.

go find the recipe for swallow and craft that as well.

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost

Slugnoid posted:

also dont forget, dodge monsters and parry humans - you can still dodge a human if you prefer but you can't parry a monster..

I might also add - the regular dodge is good if your fighting one or two monsters, but when your getting mobbed by a half a dozen at once you really should use the big leaping and rolling dodge to get out of the gangbang.

These Loving Eyes
Jun 6, 2009
This question has probably been asked a bunch of times, but despite googling and searching, I could not find an answer to my problem. So, I am currently playing Witcher 3 on the PC via GOG Galaxy client. The game has neatly updated itself up to the latest 1.06 version. However, when I try to install any of the free DLC via the configure option (ticking the DLC check-boxes), it says "installation failed". Usually, it claims I do not have enough disk space, although there's still 90 gigabytes free on the drive. I have tried running the client as an administrator and made the Witcher 3 folder writable, but that has been of no use. :( Please help, I want to enjoy the extra content in this game of the decade.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

These Loving Eyes posted:

This question has probably been asked a bunch of times, but despite googling and searching, I could not find an answer to my problem. So, I am currently playing Witcher 3 on the PC via GOG Galaxy client. The game has neatly updated itself up to the latest 1.06 version. However, when I try to install any of the free DLC via the configure option (ticking the DLC check-boxes), it says "installation failed". Usually, it claims I do not have enough disk space, although there's still 90 gigabytes free on the drive. I have tried running the client as an administrator and made the Witcher 3 folder writable, but that has been of no use. :( Please help, I want to enjoy the extra content in this game of the decade.

If you use a separate drive for data/games than your C: drive, you may need to change the default location in the Galaxy client. Though the DLC are pretty small, if you're running low on space on your system drive it could be a problem.

OAquinas fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Jul 7, 2015

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

These Loving Eyes posted:

I got this once, for a patch not a dlc, and I was able to find the C:/gog directory or whatever, click through it, and install the patch manually. After that it worked fine. So maybe try that? If the installation failed that means the installer has been downloaded, if I weren't at work I'd send the exact path.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Vertigo posted:

Thanks again.

I remember that bit in particular and that wraith is an rear end in a top hat.

All I can say is hit him once or twice then dodge the counterattack, then it'll disappear and do it's reappear stab stab stab attack so you gotta dodge to the side as soon as it reappears and then you can usually hit it once or twice in the back before going back to step 1.

It's definitely not the only spot where the best strategy is to come back later though.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Yeah, they're almost definitely showing up in the Blood and Wine expansion, especially with that banner update now confirming Shani's back in the other one.

Vertigo
Jul 15, 2002

Took your advice (advices? ) and left that area and went around sidequesting. Did a bunch of stuff, I'm up to level 3 now and i guess the next thing I do is fight the griffin... The Noonwraith thing was really cool and well done and I definitely enjoyed that piece of the story.

This game is killer.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
If you can't do the wraith yet the griffin is going to make you super frustrated (at least it did for me).

Vertigo
Jul 15, 2002

Moridin920 posted:

If you can't do the wraith yet the griffin is going to make you super frustrated (at least it did for me).

I'll go back to the wraith first and see how it goes I guess. I'm almost level 4 so maybe I just wait it out a bit.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
You can beat the Noonwraith just fine all you need is proper planning and usage of abilities. (Specter Oil and Yrden)

Vertigo
Jul 15, 2002

Accordion Man posted:

You can beat the Noonwraith just fine all you need is proper planning and usage of abilities. (Specter Oil and Yrden)

No I beat that Noonwraith with no problem, we're talking about the wraith right outside the first village hiding a sword of something of that nature

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Vertigo posted:

No I beat that Noonwraith with no problem, we're talking about the wraith right outside the first village hiding a sword of something of that nature
Ah yeah, if it has a red skull under its name, just come back later.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Vertigo posted:

I've stolen a shitload of treasure from high level monsters just by doing the old wait & run.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Vertigo posted:

Took your advice (advices? ) and left that area and went around sidequesting. Did a bunch of stuff, I'm up to level 3 now and i guess the next thing I do is fight the griffin... The Noonwraith thing was really cool and well done and I definitely enjoyed that piece of the story.

This game is killer.

the ghost in the tomb is just a higher level wraith similar to the noonwraith. this game punishes level differences a lot, even 1-2 levels can make a giant difference

there is a bandit camp near where you met that dude who wants to find his brother on the battlefield. that camp has a chest in it with stuff that sends you to that tomb for the sword.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

exquisite tea posted:

I've stolen a shitload of treasure from high level monsters just by doing the old wait & run.
This can work well too, though not against all enemies.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The point is, do you really want to just turn away defeated, and come back later like a scared little bitch? Or do you want to pointlessly reload for 15 minutes on end against monsters you have no chance of defeating, for loot that you probably don't even need, just to eliminate that glowing white treasure box on your minimap relentlessly taunting you to grey it out? I think we all know the right answer to this one.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

On the one hand, new DLC apparently may have leaked, and you shouldn't download it because it may gently caress with your game.

On the other hand, it's new costume DLC for Ciri!

On the other hand, it looks kinda dumb and features an exposed midriff.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/technow/games/the-witcher-3-ciri-dlc-accidentally-leaks--developers-say-dont-download-it-340996.html

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
I finished the second playthrough of W2, the Iorveth line where Radovid put Phillippa's eyes out. He seems crazy then (not that Phillippa's any bargain), but I've seen the very Hitleresque Radovid posters in Novigrad so I'm guessing he's going to be worse than Emhyr.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
I'm glad I play on PS4 so I don't have the total hours played constantly taunting me. Because i'm betting it's a ton and I'm not even close to finishing Act 1. Running around doing sidequests, making ?s go away, this is the life.

Also, Yen owns. :colbert:

I also was motivated to pick up the first Witcher book (The Last Wish) because of this game. I'm like halfway through and it's basically Geralt running around doing sidequests. Not sure what to make of it.

Nitrousoxide posted:

There needs to be a way to see all the stats on a weapon before you buy the blueprints for it. I have no idea if I'm buying something that's 15 levels too high for me or not.

There is. L2 on PS4, I think. Anyway on the bottom there should be a key binding to whatever it is. It lets you read the blueprint/recipe and tells you exactly what it does what the stats are and what you need for it.

It's p great.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

JetsGuy posted:

I also was motivated to pick up the first Witcher book (The Last Wish) because of this game. I'm like halfway through and it's basically Geralt running around doing sidequests. Not sure what to make of it.

Yeah, the first book isn't a complete novel, but a series of short stories about Geralt. After that they turn into a fuller series of novels, but I actually like the first one the best just for how it jumps around to all these different little vignettes.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

JetsGuy posted:

I'm glad I play on PS4 so I don't have the total hours played constantly taunting me. Because i'm betting it's a ton and I'm not even close to finishing Act 1. Running around doing sidequests, making ?s go away, this is the life.

The Last Wish and the next book, The Sword of Destiny are a collection of short stories. The books after those are full novels. I'm getting close to finishing The Sword of Destiny, so I can't really tell you too much about the actual novels.

Crappy Jack posted:

Yeah, the first book isn't a complete novel, but a series of short stories about Geralt. After that they turn into a fuller series of novels, but I actually like the first one the best just for how it jumps around to all these different little vignettes.

You forgot the next book, its not until the third book that it's not short stories.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

JetsGuy posted:

A friend lent me the UK translations of the first 3 books and I'm most of the way through 3; Books 1&2 have a lot of build up and are very well paced I think, like pik_d says its the third book "Blood of Elves" that turns into a full-length novel as the focus shifts away from Geralt and the timeline gets condensed significantly. As far as I could tell the first two books Take place over the course of years, a decade or more, jumping back and forth with long stretches of time largely skipped over, while Blood of Elves takes place over the course of 6 months or a year at the most told mostly chronologically, with many more points of view than Geralt's immediate sphere.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
Ah, didn't realize the first two were short stories. Just bought it on a whim and amazon was like "here's the first one!" The best part for me is I generally don't like fantasy books. Knights and elves and dwarves and whatever just didn't ever do it for me. I couldn't even get through the Hobbit, and I've tried a few times. Just didn't hold me. This book, however, is fun. I don't know what it is, but I like what I've read so far. Maybe it's because I already like Geralt so much.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

The first two short story books also jump all over the place because they were written over a period of almost ten years. Sapkowski was writing them during downtime at his workplace and submitted them to fantasy magazines and fantasy collections. The first full Witcher book: Blood of Elves is when he first sat down to write a full blown book and it's a noticeable jump in quality.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

MoraleHazard posted:

I finished the second playthrough of W2, the Iorveth line where Radovid put Phillippa's eyes out. He seems crazy then (not that Phillippa's any bargain), but I've seen the very Hitleresque Radovid posters in Novigrad so I'm guessing he's going to be worse than Emhyr.

He's legit military genius, so that comparison to real life character doesn't completely fit. But other than that he's loving crazy. Of course it's a Witcher game so the thread had argued about which one ruler is worse on a couple of ocasions.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

alex314 posted:

He's legit military genius, so that comparison to real life character doesn't completely fit. But other than that he's loving crazy. Of course it's a Witcher game so the thread had argued about which one ruler is worse on a couple of ocasions.

Worst ruler is Radovid hands down. Emyhr is a bastard and ruthless in conquest, but relatively even-handed with his subjects (as far as medieval monarchs go, anyway). Radovid is all too willing to burn down chunks of the north and piss on the ashes if it gets him an iota of power. Even if peace was declared immediately the North would probably be gutted by plague within a few years from all the mage/peller/healer genocide going on. Not to mention the whole "shut down the university and burn the books" deal...

Now, which realm is worse for its subjects (current administration aside)? Different question altogether.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Wait what's the reading order? I read The Last Wish (liked it) and I started The Blood Of Elves because afaik it was released before the others and as such is the first one but I'll admit it definitely feels like I missed a whole lot of stuff between Triss showing up and Yen being pissed at Geralt for an unknown reason.

Blood of Elves is the first actual full length book or whatever though right?

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...
Go into the books expecting a fun pulpy fantasy series that plays on lots of fairytales and myths and you'll enjoy them.

Blood of the Elves is the first book, yeah. Also, not a whole lot actually happens in it from what I recall (it's been a few years). Also: Yen is always pissed at Geralt.

On the rulers:
Radovid is crazy, super paranoid and completely ruthless.
In the books, Emhyr wants to have a kid with Ciri because her child is supposed to rule the world/universe/everything. The game basically drops this completely - which is really weird since it's kind of a major plot point.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
My goodness. Putting points into Aard and alt-Aard makes mobs trivial. I can even one shot Witcher contract monsters except for ghosts and wraiths. It's almost cheating.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Romes128 posted:

My goodness. Putting points into Aard and alt-Aard makes mobs trivial. I can even one shot Witcher contract monsters except for ghosts and wraiths. It's almost cheating.

do you mean Igni (flamethrower)? in which case yes it's pretty awesome

Aard doesn't do damage unless you dump a ton of points into Signs to get to the highest tier.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Pellisworth posted:

Aard doesn't do damage unless you dump a ton of points into Signs to get to the highest tier.

When you knock most enemies down with Aard you can press light attack to kill them instantly. Works when you knock harpies out of the sky as well.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Pellisworth posted:

RatHat posted:

When you knock most enemies down with Aard you can press light attack to kill them instantly. Works when you knock harpies out of the sky as well.

Yup. Knockdown then instakill. I have on the Griffin gear and by the time the animation for the attack finishes I can cast again. Makes having to fight multiple people trivial since they stay knocked down for a decent amount of time. I can get 4 kills off of one cast if they're close enough.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Romes128 posted:

Yup. Knockdown then instakill. I have on the Griffin gear and by the time the animation for the attack finishes I can cast again. Makes having to fight multiple people trivial since they stay knocked down for a decent amount of time. I can get 4 kills off of one cast if they're close enough.

Oh yeah, that too. I abused the hell out of Aard knockdown against humanoids but used Igni more against monsters because it seemed like a lot of monsters were resistant to knockdowns but most humans are trivial to drop and coup-de-grace

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Humans are chumps anyway. Axii also frequently causes instakills.