Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Pardon my ignorance. Is there a major difference between steel cut oats and rolled oats? I wanted to switch out from my normal breakfast routine and try having some oatmeal in the morning. I watched a few YouTube videos on how to make some quick breakfast and the oatmeal in a jar sounded easy enough. Oatmeal isn't something that I've never had aside from the instant stuff, so I'm a bit confused. I watched the video below, and I thought you were supposed to boil/cook the oats, but it seems that shes just leaving the oats over night?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddGi1wwAISg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Huge difference in cook time. Quick Rolled oats take about a minute, regular (old-fashioned) rolled oats take about 4-5 minutes, and steel cut takes at least an hour. An easy way to do steel cut is if your rice cooker has a "porridge" setting.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Steel cut takes a longer time to cook and tends to be more nutrient-dense and more filling. I make them for dishes that involve more work than just oatmeal and save old-fashioned oats for when I wake up and just want to eat something fast for breakfast. Avoid quick oats unless you really enjoy soppy, mushy oatmeal.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Everything everyone else said is true, but steel cut oats also have a bit of a different taste. More flavor, a bit nuttier. (They're similar enough that if you like rolled oats you'll probably like steel-cut too.)

Instant/quick oats are absurd. They're far inferior and If you have time to make quick oats you probably have time to make rolled at least. Personally I only really do rolled oats, although I have steel-cut in the pantry; steel-cut are good but one of the things I like about oatmeal is that I can make it quickly in the morning on a whim with no pre-planning.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Boil steel cut oats in 4x as much water for a minute before you go to bed then just let them sit. In the morning they will be done and you can microwave them.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
I only eat oats cut with the finest Hanzo steel

Or: can someone explain why it's "steel cut" and not just "cut" vs "rolled"? I know that there's a big process difference but why it is always specifically steel?

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Quick oats do have a place, though: cookies.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

guppy posted:

Personally I only really do rolled oats, although I have steel-cut in the pantry; steel-cut are good but one of the things I like about oatmeal is that I can make it quickly in the morning on a whim with no pre-planning.

Preach it. I like to eat relatively early in the morning, so if I haven't set up some kind of timer contraption the night before, it's rolled oats for me.

Splizwarf posted:

Quick oats do have a place, though: cookies.

Nope. In cookies, regular rolled oats are WAY better then the quick oats.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
There's good reasons to use either type. Quick oats are much more delicate.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

But... THE CHEWY. Oatmeal cookies are all about THE CHEWY. :colbert:

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
This is probably going to be extremely stupid, but what, if anything, do I need beyond freezer bags and saran wrap to freeze 93/7 ground beef properly? It'd be in the freezer for no more than a month.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

GobiasIndustries posted:

This is probably going to be extremely stupid, but what, if anything, do I need beyond freezer bags and saran wrap to freeze 93/7 ground beef properly? It'd be in the freezer for no more than a month.

Just a month? Hell, that barely qualifies for a freezer bag. You're fine.

twotimer
Jul 19, 2013

GobiasIndustries posted:

like for at home? i just use sandwich bags.
i roll a snowball-sized beef ball, drop it in the bag, then press it down flat like a burger patty.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

GobiasIndustries posted:

Nothing really but if you want to do it properly then place into bags and then immerse them in a big bowl of water to push out all the extra air and then seal the tops (don't immerse the tops). Then place them in the coldest part of your refrigerator for a few hours and then transfer them to the freezer and pack some frozen stuff around them to freeze them up faster. That's just general for freezing any meat afaik.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Ok cool, thanks for the replies! Like I said, I knew it was kind of a dumb question but I don't use my freezer a ton for stuff that I don't already buy frozen and right now there's a great sale that I'd like to take advantage of for spanish rice, sloppy joes, and the like later this month.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

GobiasIndustries posted:

Ok cool, thanks for the replies! Like I said, I knew it was kind of a dumb question but I don't use my freezer a ton for stuff that I don't already buy frozen and right now there's a great sale that I'd like to take advantage of for spanish rice, sloppy joes, and the like later this month.

I used to never use my freezer for anything other than frozen food I bought, either,

But it's actually been one of the best "kitchen discoveries" when I started using my freezer more.

One small advice: try to mark everything you stuff in there with a name and a date.
(I usually just throw a post-it note on it, because I'm too lazy to buy stickers)
Anyway: this helps you to recognise the contents of your fridge and keep track of edibility
(I don't think anything goes bad, but I don't like the idea of not knowing when something went in there)

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I think most of my aversion to keeping stuff in there comes from living in a fraternity for several years where the refrigerators were generally wastelands; you bought stuff you were using that day or the day after or it'd get stolen or destroyed somehow, even the stuff in the freezer. After that I moved into a small apartment where I only had a mini-fridge so no real freezer space there either. Labeling is a great idea; I'll toss a sharpie in one of the drawers.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.

paraquat posted:

One small advice: try to mark everything you stuff in there with a name and a date.
(I usually just throw a post-it note on it, because I'm too lazy to buy stickers)

I use masking/painters tape. It's cheaper than stickers, stays on well but also comes off easy.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I do masking tape too, and I date everything in the fridge as well even if I plan to use it right away. It's good to know that the leftover pasta sauce or whatever I made and forgot about is now too old to use.

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you
How long can I expect chopped veggies to stay acceptably fresh in the fridge? Now that temperatures are regularly above 100, I've found that all my desire to cook has left me. I'm hoping that if I can prep a bunch of veggies ahead of time, I'll be more willing to at least throw together a stir fry instead of eating out. I'm thinking things like carrots, bell peppers, onions, etc. I assume mushrooms would be too delicate, since even when they're whole I have trouble using them before they go bad.

Also, what are some good foods that don't require heat for preparation? I can think of salad and gazpacho, and I guess various dips/hummus - beyond that I'm drawing a blank.

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007

Esme posted:

How long can I expect chopped veggies to stay acceptably fresh in the fridge? Now that temperatures are regularly above 100, I've found that all my desire to cook has left me. I'm hoping that if I can prep a bunch of veggies ahead of time, I'll be more willing to at least throw together a stir fry instead of eating out. I'm thinking things like carrots, bell peppers, onions, etc. I assume mushrooms would be too delicate, since even when they're whole I have trouble using them before they go bad.

Also, what are some good foods that don't require heat for preparation? I can think of salad and gazpacho, and I guess various dips/hummus - beyond that I'm drawing a blank.

Asian cold noodle dishes? Some of the noodles used can be prepared entirely by soaking, though in any case "boil water, throw noodle in" is pretty much the least possible effort thing that one can do that still qualifies as 'cooking with heat'.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

Esme posted:

Summer rolls (aka rice paper rolls)

tortilla wraps filled with cold stuff

Edit to add: if its really hot, you could make a green smoothie, that way you dont even have to chew!

paraquat fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jul 7, 2015

PiratePing
Jan 3, 2007

queck

Esme posted:

I feel dirty saying this but I've been looking up 'raw food' recipes just to get ideas. :blush: Lifestylers the experts on how to make a decent variety of cold foods, after all. A fad diet for every whim!

Also: Spring rolls, cold overnight oats, many wraps and sandwiches, spinach+yoghurt+frozen fruit smoothies, listlessly picking at chilled fruits, tuna straight from a can... There is no appetite or shame. Only sweat.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

paraquat posted:

Summer rolls (aka rice paper rolls)

Funnily enough, called 'spring rolls' at a lot of the vietnamese/thai joints I've frequented in the bay area.

Spring Rolls in Australia = Egg Rolls.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.

d3rt posted:

Funnily enough, called 'spring rolls' at a lot of the vietnamese/thai joints I've frequented in the bay area.

Spring Rolls in Australia = Egg Rolls.

I think they differ like this in the USA:

Summer Roll - Wrapped in Rice Paper. Crunch comes from vegetables.
Spring Roll - Wrapped in Rice Paper and deep fried. Crunch comes from vegetables and wrapper.
Egg Roll - Wrapped in wonton wrappers and deep fried in a New Jersey facility, frozen and shipped across country ready to be indifferently microwaved. Crunch comes from broken teeth.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Cavenagh posted:

I think they differ like this in the USA:

Summer Roll - Wrapped in Rice Paper. Crunch comes from vegetables.
Spring Roll - Wrapped in Rice Paper and deep fried. Crunch comes from vegetables and wrapper.
Egg Roll - Wrapped in wonton wrappers and deep fried in a New Jersey facility, frozen and shipped across country ready to be indifferently microwaved. Crunch comes from broken teeth.

America is a big place. It's not set it stone because like I just said, rice paper rolls are called Spring Rolls in many of the vietnamese and thai restaurants I've been to in the bay area (the USA). I've never actually come across deep fried rice paper rolls before, neither in the bay area or Australia.

I've also had really good house made egg rolls. In Australian Vietnamese restaurants they will be served with iceberg lettuce and leaves of this vietnamese plant I can't remember the name of, let's call it vietnamese mint until someone corrects me. You wrap the egg roll in the lettuce leaf with the vietnamese mint and dip it in nuoc cham.

I hope someone that knows more about vietnamese will chime in and tell me what all this stuff is called.

Bald Stalin fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jul 7, 2015

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you
These are all great ideas, thanks! I don't know why I didn't think of spring rolls. I've never had a cold noodle dish, but I love glass noodles so I'll give it a shot. Sandwiches didn't occur to me because now that I've learned how to make a halfway decent bread loaf buying bread feels like a rip off, but I can suck it up or start baking at 2am.

PiratePing posted:

I feel dirty saying this but I've been looking up 'raw food' recipes just to get ideas. :blush: Lifestylers the experts on how to make a decent variety of cold foods, after all. A fad diet for every whim!

Also: Spring rolls, cold overnight oats, many wraps and sandwiches, spinach+yoghurt+frozen fruit smoothies, listlessly picking at chilled fruits, tuna straight from a can... There is no appetite or shame. Only sweat.

:negative: There have been days lately where I lived off of pickle juice and ice cream because gently caress cooking anything or going outside to get groceries. I can't move out of this hellhole soon enough.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:

GobiasIndustries posted:

I think most of my aversion to keeping stuff in there comes from living in a fraternity for several years where the refrigerators were generally wastelands; you bought stuff you were using that day or the day after or it'd get stolen or destroyed somehow, even the stuff in the freezer. After that I moved into a small apartment where I only had a mini-fridge so no real freezer space there either. Labeling is a great idea; I'll toss a sharpie in one of the drawers.

Also portion whatever you're freezing out as best you can now -- if you're buying like 10 pounds of meat, make little 1 pound bags or something like that so you can defrost in a few minutes (and as someone else said, a flat piece freezes and thaws much easier than a solid cube).

Woof! Woof!
Aug 21, 2006

Supporters of whatever they're calling the club this week.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pW2kilumXJ4&t=46s

I'm working on a replica dough for traditional midwestern cracker crust pizza.
Most recipes do not feature yeast, obviously, as it would limit the "crackeriness" of the dough.
But Pat's Pizza, one of the more amazing producers of this style of pizza, notes in the above video (timelinked) that his dough production process lasts 5 days, kills the yeast, etc.

This flat dense but crisp/flakey crust is pretty nuanced, and very much part of the style - but I've no clue how to make it using yeast. Yeast significantly improves the flavor of dough, and I'd love to have that flavor. What will happen if I let dough rise and fall? How long does it take for yeast to die, so that when I beat a dough down it is no longer going to rise? Does anyone have any insight on this technique?

Even thoughts may help, I'm willing to do the experimentation, just want a second opinion.

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest
is pork shoulder ok to grind up for potstickers? the shoulder I bought is way more than im going to need and im going to have quite a bit left over and id like to grind + freeze it.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Woof! Woof! posted:

Most recipes do not feature yeast, obviously, as it would limit the "crackeriness" of the dough.
But Pat's Pizza, one of the more amazing producers of this style of pizza, notes in the above video (timelinked) that his dough production process lasts 5 days, kills the yeast, etc.

This flat dense but crisp/flakey crust is pretty nuanced, and very much part of the style - but I've no clue how to make it using yeast. Yeast significantly improves the flavor of dough, and I'd love to have that flavor. What will happen if I let dough rise and fall? How long does it take for yeast to die, so that when I beat a dough down it is no longer going to rise? Does anyone have any insight on this technique?

Even thoughts may help, I'm willing to do the experimentation, just want a second opinion.
I don't know what you're specifically after, but if you were making actual crackers---like a Saltine, for example---you'd start by making a sponge of the flour, water, and yeast, doing a cold rise overnight in the fridge, and then adding in shortening, buttermilk, or whatever, and your other flavours, then adding in enough additional flour to get a rollable dough.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Esme posted:

How about ceviche?

Couscous and Fine Bulgar (i.e. #1 bulgur; the smallest size. Not #2+ or bigger pieces of wheat) can be made with minimal heat, where they just require boiling water, but no prolonged cooking.

For bulgur you could make it into kisir, or bulgur mixed with tomato paste and/or pepper paste/other stuff (biber salcasi).

You could also make tabbouleh a.k.a. lots of parsley and vegetables with a little bit of bulgur

You could serve either with vegetables or with the ceviche.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Woof! Woof! posted:

He is likely using misleading terminology. Heat is pretty much the only way to kill yeast and you could kill it with the method SubG mentioned using hot water but imo...

- Use a lower hydration dough, this will not allow it to get very springy (~ 50%) or lower.
- Use more fat than your normal pizza dough, maybe 10%
- Normal Salt
- Normal Sugar if any.
- Bread flour

After four-five days in the fridge the yeast will be pretty retarded. Pull it and let it get back to room temp, roll it out paper thin then fridge it again for a few hours to to retard it one last time. Don't be afraid to use more flour. I'm not well versed on the implication of fridging it again but it seems to be necessary to mimic the youtube method and with the higher fat content it may help it get more crispy.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Haverchuck posted:

is pork shoulder ok to grind up for potstickers? the shoulder I bought is way more than im going to need and im going to have quite a bit left over and id like to grind + freeze it.

Absolutely it's fine.

Woof! Woof!
Aug 21, 2006

Supporters of whatever they're calling the club this week.

Mr. Wookums posted:

He is likely using misleading terminology. Heat is pretty much the only way to kill yeast and you could kill it with the method SubG mentioned using hot water but imo...

- Use a lower hydration dough, this will not allow it to get very springy (~ 50%) or lower.
- Use more fat than your normal pizza dough, maybe 10%
- Normal Salt
- Normal Sugar if any.
- Bread flour

After four-five days in the fridge the yeast will be pretty retarded. Pull it and let it get back to room temp, roll it out paper thin then fridge it again for a few hours to to retard it one last time. Don't be afraid to use more flour. I'm not well versed on the implication of fridging it again but it seems to be necessary to mimic the youtube method and with the higher fat content it may help it get more crispy.

SubG posted:

I don't know what you're specifically after, but if you were making actual crackers---like a Saltine, for example---you'd start by making a sponge of the flour, water, and yeast, doing a cold rise overnight in the fridge, and then adding in shortening, buttermilk, or whatever, and your other flavours, then adding in enough additional flour to get a rollable dough.

Thanks, both of you, for the quick response. I'm going to try both of these ideas out and I'll let you know how it goes.

PiratePing
Jan 3, 2007

queck

d3rt posted:

America is a big place. It's not set it stone because like I just said, rice paper rolls are called Spring Rolls in many of the vietnamese and thai restaurants I've been to in the bay area (the USA). I've never actually come across deep fried rice paper rolls before, neither in the bay area or Australia.

I've also had really good house made egg rolls. In Australian Vietnamese restaurants they will be served with iceberg lettuce and leaves of this vietnamese plant I can't remember the name of, let's call it vietnamese mint until someone corrects me. You wrap the egg roll in the lettuce leaf with the vietnamese mint and dip it in nuoc cham.

I hope someone that knows more about vietnamese will chime in and tell me what all this stuff is called.

The egg roll wrapped in a lettuce leaf with mint is called Nem, it's a kind of Vietnamese pork sausage wrapped in rice paper and deep-fried. I eat the poo poo out of it whenever I'm in Paris. Best hangover food.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Mr. Wookums posted:

I'm not well versed on the implication of fridging it again but it seems to be necessary to mimic the youtube method and with the higher fat content it may help it get more crispy.

Yeast takes time to go from dormant to CO2 producing, and by refrigerating and then cooking, you go from dormant to dead without a significant CO2 phase in a cracker crust.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Okay, I'm cooking something in a stainless steel pot that starts with butter and adds: vidalia onion, sliced mushrooms, garlic, jalapeno, and diced red bell pepper.

- I want the onion and mushrooms to brown and caramelize fully.
- I want the red bell pepper to be crunchy and sweet, but not to caramelize.
- I want the garlic and jalapeno to add flavor without either overpowering the dish or burning.
- I need to cook everything in a single pot.

In what order should I add the ingredients, and how long do you recommend I add to each step.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Mushrooms and onions together for a long time. Jalapeno when they've just caramelized, let cook for a few minutes, then add the garlic for a minute. Add the bell pepper, cook for 30 seconds, serve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Bell pepper goes in like 5 minutes before serving.