Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012
:stare:

Oh my god, that "interview" is really something special. And I'm only 30 minutes in!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Suzaku posted:

:stare:

Oh my god, that "interview" is really something special. And I'm only 30 minutes in!

Despite being 1hr 41mins, it's actually worth it in some weird sense.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Gunchat was probably the highlight. Like, what did that guy even want Jim to say? "OK yes, the sounds were, in fact, purchased from a reputable company and made from real gun sounds. Congrats on buying sounds you didn't make and don't fit into your game's aesthetic!"

He just... needed that validation so badly.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

"Tell you audience not to buy my games."

"I will BEG THEM not to buy your games!"

And wow, hes really bitter about the Patreon money.

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

Roman Reigns posted:

And wow, hes really bitter about the Patreon money.

I believe you mean paa-treon money.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Listening to it a second time, I'm almost certain this guy was drunk. That or his brain functions as though he was drunk on a daily basis.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Judging from the other guy whispering in his ear, I'm guessing he lives/works in a bubble and put nearly zero effort in research for his defense against Sterling and expected to just wing it with what he found and what his advisor was telling him.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

I absolutely love the fallacy from people that make and do things that you must make or do that thing in order to be able to critique it. It pops up anywhere where people can be criticized and I laugh every time. Basically what he's saying is he wants sympathy for his bad games because making a good game is really hard and you'd be more understanding if you did it yourself.

Also, pulling out that card never accomplishes a point or serves an argument, it's just you trying to poo poo on the guy who poo poo on your thing because it's poo poo.

I see it a lot in art, media, and funnily enough sports. Somebody calls a basketball player lovely and they respond by asking "have you ever played professional basketball?"

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

GNU Order posted:

I absolutely love the fallacy from people that make and do things that you must make or do that thing in order to be able to critique it. It pops up anywhere where people can be criticized and I laugh every time. Basically what he's saying is he wants sympathy for his bad games because making a good game is really hard and you'd be more understanding if you did it yourself.

Also, pulling out that card never accomplishes a point or serves an argument, it's just you trying to poo poo on the guy who poo poo on your thing because it's poo poo.

I see it a lot in art, media, and funnily enough sports. Somebody calls a basketball player lovely and they respond by asking "have you ever played professional basketball?"

You're a bad Blood Bowl player. I know this as a pro-Blood Bowl player.

Edit - Seriously, the guy legitimately can't handle any form of criticism and it's sad.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Jul 4, 2015

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

GNU Order posted:

I end up seeing it a ton professionally now as well, sadly enough. I think a big part of it is that people just don't want to admit they failed at something and are looking to deflect in some way. I think it becomes easy to justify the argument for people working in games and other media because there is a ton more that goes into making the game than in making a video or writing an article about it. People will spend years of their lives working on some games only to have some guy spend eight hours playing it and then another 30 minutes writing a thousand word review, so in a way it is sort of understandable the developers would be upset they get bad reviews. On the other hand, as adults they should be aware that just because your job is complicated doesn't mean you deserve automatic praise for just showing up.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lazyfire posted:

People will spend years of their lives working on some games only to have some guy spend eight hours playing it and then another 30 minutes writing a thousand word review, so in a way it is sort of understandable the developers would be upset they get bad reviews. On the other hand, as adults they should be aware that just because your job is complicated doesn't mean you deserve automatic praise for just showing up.

This happens with video production as well though. Projects can be in development for years before filming, with various folks chasing a dream project only to have it shat upon by a reviewer. It happens and people move on and learn from the mistakes and issues pointed out for the most part. Sometimes they act OK with the critique, other times they make dumb comments to defend their work because they felt what they made was great and free of issues. They don't usually spend months making personal jabs at a reviewer who critiques their work because its just petty, and that's what Digital Homicide did and it shows their lack of professional maturity.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Jul 4, 2015

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

The dev gets tantalizingly close to some valid points (you've unfairly singled me out time after time, I'm always trying to fix technical or copyright errors, as a one man dev team I have a greater personal attachment to my product) but ends up taking a sharp right turn into logical cherry picking and conspiracy theory town. But hey you can never lose an argument if you only hear and understand things in such a way that it always supports your opinion!

Also love that he thinks you can make your game suddenly fun just by fixing all the bugs.

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

GNU Order posted:

Also love that he thinks you can make your game suddenly fun just by fixing all the bugs.

"How come my book report on Moby Dick got an F?"
"Because you just wrote the sentence 'There is a whale in it.' 500 times."
"But I spelled all the words right!"

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

dreezy posted:

"How come my book report on Moby Dick got an F?"
"Because you just wrote the sentence 'There is a whale in it.' 500 times."
"But I spelled all the words right!"

That'd still be more interesting than the segment of the book on tying knots.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
Attachment to a product is a fine thing, but the review is looking at it from the perspective of a consumer who's going to spend money on the product. It's like a parent who tapes their kid's crayon drawing on the fridge - they're proud of their child's effort and want to make their kid feel appreciated, but I'm pretty sure most of them are aware that they can't frame that drawing and sell it at an art gallery. (Then again, given the sensibilities of modern art, maybe they could.) If I were a developer, I'd consider those reviews to be valuable feedback for how to make better games. If you want good reviews, make better games.

ThisIsNoZaku
Apr 22, 2013

Pew Pew Pew!

Nidoking posted:

(Then again, given the sensibilities of modern art, maybe they could.)

Someone's never heard of outsider art.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nidoking posted:

Attachment to a product is a fine thing, but the review is looking at it from the perspective of a consumer who's going to spend money on the product. It's like a parent who tapes their kid's crayon drawing on the fridge - they're proud of their child's effort and want to make their kid feel appreciated, but I'm pretty sure most of them are aware that they can't frame that drawing and sell it at an art gallery. (Then again, given the sensibilities of modern art, maybe they could.) If I were a developer, I'd consider those reviews to be valuable feedback for how to make better games. If you want good reviews, make better games.

But it's not a fair critique for you to not provide positive comments on the product.

So says Digital Homicide.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Bruceski posted:

That'd still be more interesting than the segment of the book on tying knots.

They bought those knots from a professional knot-making company. Those are real knots.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Like, at this point the guy has to know most of his notoriety isn't for making entertaining games but for being 1) a bad game dev, 2) someone who abuses DMCA on YouTube, and 3) someone who is comically bad at presenting an argument to support their point.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
In their case the old and flawed maxim of "negative publicity is better than no publicity" seems to hod true. Nobody would know about their existence, but because they found their pet review writer, they can fill headlines despite not achieving anything of note. It's a symbiotic relationship of Sterling wanting manufactured drama to improve his readership, and his "enemies" wanting the same drama because they would be complete nobodies without it.

At this point in time it's quite clear there exists a whole market segment consisting of cheap games made simply to be presented in humorous critique videos, because even if the review recommends not making a purchase, some idiots will buy the product just to verify the review.

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

steinrokkan posted:

At this point in time it's quite clear there exists a whole market segment consisting of cheap games made simply to be presented in humorous critique videos, because even if the review recommends not making a purchase, some idiots will buy the product just to verify the review.

YouTube bait. Jumpscare parades, wacky XD random poo poo, and incompetent garbage. The lifeblood of crappy youtubers and crappy developers.

SnakemanMn
Apr 1, 2013

"What is green, slimy, and smells like bacon?"

GNU Order posted:

I love it when people try to use that bullshit excuse on me, because I merely refute with "I never said that I was good at doing that, I was merely stating that you're absolutely lovely at doing that." and I've yet to find anybody who can come up with a decent retort.

dreezy posted:

YouTube bait. Jumpscare parades, wacky XD random poo poo, and incompetent garbage. The lifeblood of crappy youtubers and crappy developers.
The only reason why Goat Simulator exists.

SnakemanMn fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Jul 5, 2015

Shaded Spriter
Mar 27, 2010

The thing I loved the most about the interview is him praising himself for his games being literally free thanks to steam trading cards. I am almost certain he gets more money from the steam marketplace then the steam store.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Shaded Spriter posted:

The thing I loved the most about the interview is him praising himself for his games being literally free thanks to steam trading cards. I am almost certain he gets more money from the steam marketplace then the steam store.

Jim Sterling has actually made a game or two? That's kinda surprising, given the result is likely to be on par with the crap he tends to "review".

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

steinrokkan posted:

Jim Sterling has actually made a game or two? That's kinda surprising, given the result is likely to be on par with the crap he tends to "review".

No, they're talking about the Digital Homicide dev saying that.

Jim has done VO work for games though, like Jazzpunk.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Is there a good offsite LP of Billy Hatcher And The Giant Egg?

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

SnakemanMn posted:

The only reason why Goat Simulator exists.

To be fair to Goat Simulator, it was never going to even be released until lots of people saw it and thought it was really funny and should be released.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
There's a bunch of hubub about PewDiePie's income that was reported

http://www.theverge.com/2015/7/7/8909553/pewdiepie-7-4-million-response-felix-kjellberg-youtube

His video talking about it which is pretty good in terms of a response/discussion on it - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zn0y3Opb8Wk

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Unfunny Poster posted:

There's a bunch of hubub about PewDiePie's income that was reported

http://www.theverge.com/2015/7/7/8909553/pewdiepie-7-4-million-response-felix-kjellberg-youtube

His video talking about it which is pretty good in terms of a response/discussion on it - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zn0y3Opb8Wk

The headline to the article amuses me, because it is actually the exact opposite of the truth

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

inthesto posted:

The headline to the article amuses me, because it is actually the exact opposite of the truth
It's his charm, his soft spoken demeanor, and his drive to donate to charities that really has made him all of his money. Also lots and lots of rape jokes.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1TXhVfhP6w

An actual video Digital Homicide 'made' and posted.

DialTheDude
Jan 12, 2014

PORK RICE BOWLS

Lipstick Apathy

kirbysuperstar posted:

I wonder how many art and sound assets were paid for in the making of this video.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
So I have some bad news guys, and I might be wrong about this....but it appears that Richard Gamingo's youtube channel is no more.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

kirbysuperstar posted:

Of course comments are disabled. I wonder if they did that before posting, or if they had to quickly do that afterwards.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

senrath posted:

Of course comments are disabled. I wonder if they did that before posting, or if they had to quickly do that afterwards.

hahaha, they only just now did that. i was reading some of those comments earlier and it consisted of everyone calling him a dipshit.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

So, someone actually did transcribe the "interview".

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

senrath posted:

comments were up earlier and it was just everyone making fun of them.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

senrath posted:

So, someone actually did transcribe the "interview".

This is a lot easier to follow with a script in front of me, and I can't believe the poo poo that's coming out of this man's mouth

dh: y-you think that a three foot purple dildo on your shoulder is respectful to your women viewers?

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Niggurath posted:

So I have some bad news guys, and I might be wrong about this....but it appears that Richard Gamingo's youtube channel is no more.

Is there no God?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Richard Gamingoing, going, Richard Gamingone

• Locked thread