Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

skipdogg posted:

This isn't worth the hassle, in addition to the paperwork that needs to be filled out, the cost of the shipping, and going through customs and paying VAT, they could buy cheap laptops in the UK there and throw them in the trash when they're done.

I work for a big global company, and it is almost never worth it to buy something in the US and ship it somewhere else after fees, duties, customs, taxes, etc.

We did ship a bunch of equipment from the US to Costa Rica, but we used a service to handle that. It was a few pallets worth of stuff and was expensive as poo poo. But for our global locations like Hong Kong, Brazil, UK, France, we buy stuff for those offices, in those countries. It's much easier.

Hmm, I don't doubt it's easier, it's just that I've already got dozens of surplus laptops here when the same specs cost $1500 each in the UK. HP looked up my serials and say they'll still warranty all of them if they go to the UK, and I have like 50 laptops to send so it'll add up.

Full disclosure, I was going to take a vacation in Europe anyways so if I ship the laptops there and fly over to set them up, my trip and lodging are paid for and I can explore before my return leg.

The company we use to ship says they can get the Temporary Admission paperwork together for me if I want to go that route, but I'm also seeing that if we just pony up and pay VAT tax and leave the laptops there permanently, we might be able to recover all of the VAT tax as "input tax"? Sorry if I sound like a noob, totally new to the European tax system obviously. It does sound like a pain but if I can save a year's worth of FTE salary then the CFO is all for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Tenacious J posted:

I appreciate the replies. I wouldn't call myself a great designer so perhaps UX is out then. I agree about the money.

I'll do some digging into product management - I haven't looked into that yet, thanks.

I'm really not shy about putting in some time to learn, I'd just rather avoid more post-secondary. A minimum wage help desk job while I self-teach is fine by me so long at the trajectory points in a fitting and comfortable direction.

Agree with evol and I'd add that in the years it will take you to become an expert that can command a seriously impressive salary, the landscape might totally change. Just a few years ago, Docker and OpenStack didn't even exist, for example. Now they're a huge resume boost. 5 years from now both might be totally obsoleted by something else; who can say? Network engineering is being disrupted by SDN and NFV to a similar degree. Pick an area that you enjoy and can see being a career vs just a job to pay the bills. Dive deep into it, become an expert, and the pay will follow.

You don't need a post secondary--or even secondary--degree to be successful in IT. Like any industry, your professional network is the best foot in the door. Failing that, certifications are the next avenue to pursue. Thankfully these cost a couple hundred bucks instead of 6 figures.

My throwaway comment if you really do want to see giant paychecks :homebrew: is to get into software engineering, "big data", or both. Those are the fields the big tech companies are paying ungodly salaries for--and those jobs aren't going away--with the massive caveat that you have to be in the top 0.1% of the talent pool to draw said salaries. But it's something to aspire to.

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Jul 7, 2015

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Docjowles posted:

with the massive caveat that you have to be in the top 0.1% of the talent pool to draw said salaries. But it's something to aspire to.

You can be a merely competent programmer and still draw a pretty drat good salary if you're also someone people can stand to be around and talk to for more than 30 seconds, though.

fluppet
Feb 10, 2009
Does anyone have any advice on convincing your boss to let you WFH/find a coworking space full time rather than doing the 180mile round trip to the office 3 times a week.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

fluppet posted:

Does anyone have any advice on convincing your boss to let you WFH/find a coworking space full time rather than doing the 180mile round trip to the office 3 times a week.

Has your company taken steps to enable remote workers to meaningfully contribute to the company? Does your boss have any specific objections? It is a complex process to make remote work beneficial for both the employees and the company.

How did you end up with such a long commute?

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

lampey posted:

I know plenty of people who have commutes like that here in the DFW area. One co-worker does 140 miles each way.

e: Can someone explain the difference between a sysadmin and a system architect? As far as I have ever been able to tell architect is just the final form for a sysadmin.

RFC2324 fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Jul 7, 2015

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

fluppet posted:

Offer to make it probationary, and draw up some metrics that if you meet would satisfy your boss enough to make it a permanent situation.

You also may not want to do it totally full-time, coming into the office once a week or so can be good - some things are better done with face to face time. You may find that out of sight is out of mind, which may result in not being considered for projects, etc.

RFC2324 posted:

e: Can someone explain the difference between a sysadmin and a system architect? As far as I have ever been able to tell architect is just the final form for a sysadmin.

Systems administrator -> systems engineer -> systems architect.

There's no formal definition or anything and it varies from company to company (and even within companies), but the basic gist is that the architects design systems on a high level, the engineers turn put together, test, and document those systems, and the admins handle ongoing support and maintenance. As with everything IT it's all very fluid and there's plenty of overlap of responsibilities.

AreWeDrunkYet fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Jul 7, 2015

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

RFC2324 posted:

I know plenty of people who have commutes like that here in the DFW area. One co-worker does 140 miles each way.

Yeah but uh, why? I know people who have a 180 mile roundtrip commute into New York City, but they're living in another real city (Philadelphia) and they ain't driving, they're kicking back in Acela business class for the trip.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Nintendo Kid posted:

Yeah but uh, why? I know people who have a 180 mile roundtrip commute into New York City, but they're living in another real city (Philadelphia) and they ain't driving, they're kicking back in Acela business class for the trip.

The reasons definitely aren't logical ones especially considering how much easier it is to find good work here compared to a lot of the country. I commuted for a hour each way for a year and gently caress that.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Offer to make it probationary, and draw up some metrics that if you meet would satisfy your boss enough to make it a permanent situation.

You also may not want to do it totally full-time, coming into the office once a week or so can be good - some things are better done with face to face time. You may find that out of sight is out of mind, which may result in not being considered for projects, etc.

I agree; I telework 3 days a week, am 100% in the office on Tuesdays, and most Thursdays. It's a nice compromise and keeps an office presence while still maintaining sanity because my home office is way nicer than my government office. I dont even mind the commute, personally (I bike).

The touted benefits to my boss is employee retention because that telework schedule will keep me working here as long as the position exists.

edit: But for convincing, I also agree a probationary period is the way to go. I started with one day per week and moved up from there. I also have a webcam and dedicated office space where I can participate in video conferences and calls without disruption, which helps the sell a bit. It also helps that I have a 100mbps connection at home, and the government office is sitting at a cool 15mbps. Yay government.

Walked fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jul 7, 2015

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Walked posted:

I agree; I telework 3 days a week, am 100% in the office on Tuesdays, and most Thursdays. It's a nice compromise and keeps an office presence while still maintaining sanity because my home office is way nicer than my government office. I dont even mind the commute, personally (I bike).

The touted benefits to my boss is employee retention because that telework schedule will keep me working here as long as the position exists.

edit: But for convincing, I also agree a probationary period is the way to go. I started with one day per week and moved up from there. I also have a webcam and dedicated office space where I can participate in video conferences and calls without disruption, which helps the sell a bit. It also helps that I have a 100mbps connection at home, and the government office is sitting at a cool 15mbps. Yay government.

My company is leery about telecommuting because the guy I was hired to replace would do it all the time. He'd email the bosses "hey I'm working from home" and then an hour later email the team leader "hey, my home internet is down, so I'm not going to be able to do anything."

He did it all the time, and after numerous chances they let him go. So now when I ask, they give me the stink eye, but I only do it once every couple weeks when I have 8 solid hours of work so I'm busy. I'm working on them slowly to let me do it regularly.

Venusy
Feb 21, 2007

Zero VGS posted:

Hmm, I don't doubt it's easier, it's just that I've already got dozens of surplus laptops here when the same specs cost $1500 each in the UK. HP looked up my serials and say they'll still warranty all of them if they go to the UK, and I have like 50 laptops to send so it'll add up.

While I don't have any advice on shipping large quantities of laptops, I will say that if you have a UK based helpdesk, they will probably end up wanting to murder you fairly quickly, due to all the calls that will be generated by the differences in keyboard layouts. :v:

May 14, 2003

BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY FRUITCAKE!

RFC2324 posted:

The admin maintains and operates where the architect plans and builds to hand over to the sysadmin.

Also I've known plenty of folks take a painful commute because it's pretty much the only option for a job or they just have to have the benefits.

fluppet
Feb 10, 2009

lampey posted:

Basically the wife wanted to move nearer her parent I had a new job lined up but when I tried to hand my notice in they beat the salary increase and let me work from home 2 days a week but that was 2 years ago and the train ride is beginning to grate

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

My company is leery about telecommuting because the guy I was hired to replace would do it all the time. He'd email the bosses "hey I'm working from home" and then an hour later email the team leader "hey, my home internet is down, so I'm not going to be able to do anything."

He did it all the time, and after numerous chances they let him go. So now when I ask, they give me the stink eye, but I only do it once every couple weeks when I have 8 solid hours of work so I'm busy. I'm working on them slowly to let me do it regularly.

I've never understand why people think about that as a problem with working from home rather than a basic case of an employee not getting their job done.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Zorak of Michigan posted:

I've never understand why people think about that as a problem with working from home rather than a basic case of an employee not getting their job done.

It's the same people who think blocking Facebook will make staff that dick around on the internet all day turn into productive employees.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
you guys are thinking of a workplace as a job where people come together as a unit to do a job

thats not what a workplace is

a workplace is basically adult kindergarden

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Naptime :allears:

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.
Just got the word today - we've got a contract extension for a minimum of 8 more months. Extension is funded and we just need a signature on the contract to make it official. Looks like Tampa is going to wait for a few more months. With over a year as a Virtualization Admin in an Enterprise environment I think I'll have a lot better shot at landing a better gig when this contract finally ends (assuming I don't get yet another extension or new contract). The raise is going to be useful these next few months.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Venusy posted:

While I don't have any advice on shipping large quantities of laptops, I will say that if you have a UK based helpdesk, they will probably end up wanting to murder you fairly quickly, due to all the calls that will be generated by the differences in keyboard layouts. :v:

I already got the UK keyboards on their own, two screws and a ribbon cable and they'll pop right in this model :)

Thanks Ants posted:

It's the same people who think blocking Facebook will make staff that dick around on the internet all day turn into productive employees.

Someone at my work "knows someone who works at Facebook" so they want me to sign up to evaluate the beta of "Facebook for Work" and I'm like yeah that looks like it's going to be the Google+ of LinkedIns.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Docjowles posted:

Now they're a huge resume boost. 5 years from now both might be totally obsoleted by something else; who can say? Network engineering is being disrupted by SDN and NFV to a similar degree. P

As opposed to discussing what's hot have any technical positions/products been obsoleted with-in the last decade?

It's TYOOL 2015 and even today we still have AS/400 techs and COBOL/RPG Programmers. Granted, the demand is less but it exists and pays.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Zero VGS posted:

"Facebook for Work"

Yammer?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

No like, it's literally called Facebook for Work.

Meanwhile, I've got our O365 tenant on the new Skype for Business Preview of PTSN Conference Calling and Cloud PBX.

So when we make Skype for Business meetings we can auto generate a conference phone number to dial into, and the Cloud PBX lets us dial phone numbers in Skype for Business or with a Polycom SIP phone.

Of course, both features are completely busted, I haven't gotten either to work in either Windows 8.1 or 10... sounds like a Microsoft preview alright.

Edit: figured them both out, these are both pretty great now that they work. If the Cloud PBX is cheap enough I'll totally tear my phone system out for this.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Jul 8, 2015

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Zero VGS posted:

Yeah I looked it up when I saw your post. Seems "awesome". I'm sure everyone wants to use a separate work Facebook account for... Reasons?

Also Yammer makes no sense

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Zero VGS posted:

I thought this was just called Facebook.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Zero VGS posted:

Meanwhile, I've got our O365 tenant on the new Skype for Business Preview of PTSN Conference Calling and Cloud PBX.

So when we make Skype for Business meetings we can auto generate a conference phone number to dial into, and the Cloud PBX lets us dial phone numbers in Skype for Business or with a Polycom SIP phone.

Of course, both features are completely busted, I haven't gotten either to work in either Windows 8.1 or 10... sounds like a Microsoft preview alright.

Edit: figured them both out, these are both pretty great now that they work. If the Cloud PBX is cheap enough I'll totally tear my phone system out for this.

I can't loving wait for them to implement this in Europe. Of course I'd need to convince the boss to upgrade our internet line from 10Mbps to something decent, but that's just an added bonus.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I work for a company that sells phone systems into the SMB space with the traditional approach to on-prem hardware and tieing people into maintenance contracts and they aren't running scared that Office 365 getting voice calling is going to poo poo all over their market. I think I might need to :frogout: soon.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Daylen Drazzi posted:

Just got the word today - we've got a contract extension for a minimum of 8 more months. Extension is funded and we just need a signature on the contract to make it official. Looks like Tampa is going to wait for a few more months. With over a year as a Virtualization Admin in an Enterprise environment I think I'll have a lot better shot at landing a better gig when this contract finally ends (assuming I don't get yet another extension or new contract). The raise is going to be useful these next few months.

It seems like they've been jerking you around for like the last year with this. One day you're two weeks out from being jobless the next there is some cool job for you but office politics come up or something and again you're back at square one. Just get out of the military IT industry, it sounds pretty awful. Didnt you get your VCP? I bet you could find something in like 2 weeks that pays similar.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Anyone familiar with Vision Training Systems? My mom's asking me if they're worthwhile.

http://local.amazon.com/columbus/B00U7XZAHI

I don't have much experience with online courses, and the fact that they're claiming such a high "discount" is a red flag.

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006
What do you mean I can't sync all of the company's network drives to offline folders on my laptop and carry it around with me?!

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
CompareX has come sniffing around due to my upcoming Office 365 project. I know they're huge but don't know anyone that has worked with them before on a migration.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Any suggestions for how to approach asking for your job to hire a junior admin type role?

I'm technically a title of "IT Operations Manager" but really that just means "one man IT shop with good pay and working environment".
It's been totally cool up to now; and realistically I could probably continue to roll onward without additional help - most broad strokes stuff on our network is pretty well integrated and automated.

But there's zero redundancy for IT infrastructure/network support, I've gone from supporting a team of 6 developers to 15 (and growing) + PMO staff, from one office location to two colocated cages on opposite sides of the country + the office location, and from one internally developed custom application to three, and an application user-base of about 2000 to 5500. Fortunately the developers are mostly low-key to support and 95% of my day is infrastructure and DevOps stuff.

But nonetheless, the ability to give the developers better (and more) support, have someone else to send on our annual cross-country trip, and have some staff redundancy and backup would be worth a junior role, I think.

I can make a compelling case on paper, but anyone gone down this road before?

Walked fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jul 8, 2015

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on

Daylen Drazzi posted:

That may be to your health benefit because moving in Tampa weather in the middle of summer is horrid. A quick check has it at 91 degrees right now.

goobernoodles
May 28, 2011

Wayne Leonard Kirby.

Orioles Magician.
Anyone have a go-to source for used/refurb enterprise SAS drives? Looking for a good source for building cheap-rear end storage servers for job sites and/or FreeNAS storage servers for secondary backup repositories and/or DFS replication targets.

E: I have a local store that sells 450gb 15k sas drives for like 60-80 bucks I iirc. It would be nice to have a more reliable/consistent source for larger quantities.

goobernoodles fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jul 8, 2015

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

goobernoodles posted:

Anyone have a go-to source for used/refurb enterprise SAS drives? Looking for a good source for building cheap-rear end storage servers for job sites and/or FreeNAS storage servers for secondary backup repositories and/or DFS replication targets.

I am pretty sure SA has its own painfully cheap bastard around here somewhere. I have forgotten his name however.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

You assholes nearly got me in trouble two days ago. Our SharePoint guy was showing us how to administer user accounts, and he told us how inactive accounts showed in O365 as "In the cloud." Thankfully, I held in my laughter well enough it just sounded like I cleared my throat a couple times.

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

I brag about getting free drinks from my boss to make myself feel superior
Fun Shoe

Walked posted:

Any suggestions for how to approach asking for your job to hire a junior admin type role?

I'm technically a title of "IT Operations Manager" but really that just means "one man IT shop with good pay and working environment".
It's been totally cool up to now; and realistically I could probably continue to roll onward without additional help - most broad strokes stuff on our network is pretty well integrated and automated.

But there's zero redundancy for IT infrastructure/network support, I've gone from supporting a team of 6 developers to 15 (and growing) + PMO staff, from one office location to two colocated cages on opposite sides of the country + the office location, and from one internally developed custom application to three, and an application user-base of about 2000 to 5500. Fortunately the developers are mostly low-key to support and 95% of my day is infrastructure and DevOps stuff.

But nonetheless, the ability to give the developers better (and more) support, have someone else to send on our annual cross-country trip, and have some staff redundancy and backup would be worth a junior role, I think.

I think that numbers are going to be your best bet here. Look at how long it takes you to do these things and what you may have accomplished if you had a jr member of staff that would have done those things instead. Try and focus on things that the business would have seen growth in, revenue wise, or another metric that matters to them. I started doing this for my team and my boss had a much easier time selling that we needed more people to upper management as we could work back over the last 6 or so months and in each sprint we spent X amount of time on these projects and then Y amount of time on unplanned or drive by work. This was all presented and it made the req open much quicker.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
:nms:

I finally got permission to call IBM for help today which confirmed all my guesses about this in the last 2 weeks. I've come up with a 'functioning' test server that will work if I change the live DNS settings (Lotus Notes hardcodes itself to resolving by name apparently even if I give it an IP. Since I'm taking an exact copy of the live server I can't actually change the name either.) I'll need to reinsert the new server into the exact same spaghetti network with the same meatball settings and the same tomato sauce physical ports. But it will work!

:unsmith:

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

Koskun posted:

That may be to your health benefit because moving in Tampa weather in the middle of summer is horrid. A quick check has it at 91 degrees right now.

Honestly it wouldn't be much different from what it's been like for me the last few days. I was posting in the bitching thread that my apartment AC was busted and got up to 83 degrees at night. Fortunately that is all fixed now.

As for the work situation, I knew going in that it would be frustrating at times, but I'm now in a good position and after I have 6 months of Enterprise Virtualization Administrator experience under my belt I will have a lot better time of finding a permanent position (although considering that even FTE positions can be ended just as quickly as a contract and with even less notice than I had this time around). There was only a question of how things were going to play out that were causing me stress - I'm a strategic planner when it comes down to it, and unless I know all the variables it makes it frustrating to try and plan my finances and miscellaneous expenditures.

What made things bad was that we'd had word from the commander of our parent unit that we were going to be extended under our current contract for at least another year or two, and that made moving into the virtualization position a no-brainer, but then he comes back all "Whoops! My bad! You're all toast in August, but please don't leave just yet". Suddenly I was looking at 8 weeks of experience instead of 12 months. Now I know I have at least 8 months I can squeeze out of here, however that hasn't stopped me from talking to recruiters anyways. It just means I can be more selective about my next position.

So now my finances are planned out through the end of the year and I've calculated that I'll be able to pay off all my debts and sock away $5k in savings. With that settled everything else isn't so bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goobernoodles
May 28, 2011

Wayne Leonard Kirby.

Orioles Magician.

Walked posted:

Well, I'm a one man shop and just hired a temp. I'm in a bit of a different situation as you since I had zero technical people other than me and therefore the company loves to turn a blind eye to how overworked I am/was. My company basically made me trash using a ticketing system a few years back, which definitely makes it hard to quantify anything. I've been working on getting an instance of Jira up and running (I've never used it before - tips would be awesome) which has been helping me get my poo poo back in a little more order. It helped me show my boss (CFO) visually what all I was working on, and how it's literally impossible for me to get all of the projects that need to get done when I'm constantly being interrupted for "HEY DID YOU ORDER MY IPHONE YET? NO? OKAY WELL YOU KNOW... I HEARD THAT THE FLASHLIGHT APP IS ACTUALLY STEALING INFORMATION" bullshit. Easier said than done but I think I've earned my boss' trust, have shown all of the projects I've been slowly progressing on consistently, while doing my best to point out all of the dumb poo poo that's slowing me down.

Now I need to work on creating, consolidating, support/config info, processes and documentation in confluence and get this dude to the point where he can act on his own without too much hand holding and still get some things done. The CFO only wants to keep this guy around for 1-3 months, but I'm hoping it prove the need for another hand, if for nothing else just to deflect sales calls.