Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
I just did the level 40 duo assassination mission and it is pretty good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
I'm doing treasure hunter and getting the hang of it - you can purchase kunlun jade (round green thing) and butterflies with unbound from your profession person and random merchants. Jade is used to track down a treasure (if you learn the characters for east/south/west/north it's pretty easy,) and then to further triangulate it (circles appear on your mini/map and you find the point where they overlap. The butterfly takes 3 minutes to find the number of treasures on the main map, and highlights the areas they're in in.

You purchase shovels from your profession trainer for profession tokens (the round stone coins) or on the AH and dig once your overlapping circles make a red spot on the map. You will dig up a treasure chest, and maybe a thief will appear to steal it. The first levels of thieves are level 35 or so and hit pretty hard. If they kill you, someone else can kill them and loot the chest - I assume this means they can also kill you and then kill the thief in PvP mode.

Once you've killed the thief, you loot the chest, which has some crafting ingredients in it, and possibly meridian runes or other treasures. Depending on what skills are unlocked in your profession (ctrl+k) screen, you can then craft things. Open your bag and press the sword icon at the bottom, then click on the icon that looks like the thing unlocked on your profession screen (we seem to start with potions.) Standard crafting process, most recipes seem to take two things, and higher recipes will want some of the lower level products.

Almond Crunch
Oct 29, 2005
God-damn tasty..
Hi. I'd like to do some stuff with you guys. We could hunt treasures or maybe just go kill those bosses on the worldmap, or hell, do a dungeon or two. But I don't know your guys' ingame names. I found Zovereign yesterday, but he was idling. PLEASE LEAVE YOUR INGAME NAMES

i am 阿祖拉 plz add me

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
I tried friending you but it said you have to be online for it to work. My in-game name is Waifu~.

angerbeet posted:

I'm doing treasure hunter and getting the hang of it - you can purchase kunlun jade (round green thing) and butterflies with unbound from your profession person and random merchants. Jade is used to track down a treasure (if you learn the characters for east/south/west/north it's pretty easy,) and then to further triangulate it (circles appear on your mini/map and you find the point where they overlap. The butterfly takes 3 minutes to find the number of treasures on the main map, and highlights the areas they're in in.

You purchase shovels from your profession trainer for profession tokens (the round stone coins) or on the AH and dig once your overlapping circles make a red spot on the map. You will dig up a treasure chest, and maybe a thief will appear to steal it. The first levels of thieves are level 35 or so and hit pretty hard. If they kill you, someone else can kill them and loot the chest - I assume this means they can also kill you and then kill the thief in PvP mode.

Once you've killed the thief, you loot the chest, which has some crafting ingredients in it, and possibly meridian runes or other treasures. Depending on what skills are unlocked in your profession (ctrl+k) screen, you can then craft things. Open your bag and press the sword icon at the bottom, then click on the icon that looks like the thing unlocked on your profession screen (we seem to start with potions.) Standard crafting process, most recipes seem to take two things, and higher recipes will want some of the lower level products.

The tagging in this game is weird. The treasure hunter thieves appear to use first hit tagging. I think if the thief kills you, then you loose your tag, but if a player does, you keep the tag. I say this because I was killing a thief once when a player PKd me. I rode back to the spot and the thief was dead, but the loot boxes were still there for me to loot.

It's worth noting that for all professions, in your Ctrl+k menu, you'll see an upper skill tree and a lower one. The upper one is always for crafting, with each profession getting like 3-4 things to craft, and the bottom tree is your profession skills and bonuses.

Pavlov fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jul 6, 2015

BERGfu
Aug 24, 2010

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Almond Crunch posted:

i am 阿祖拉 plz add me

Pavlov posted:

My in-game name is Waifu~.

Why do you guys have weird rear end names.

I'm Goku in game.

randombattle fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jul 7, 2015

Hy_C
Apr 1, 2010

randombattle posted:

I'm Goku in game.

:goku:

Digital Decay
Dec 16, 2007
Reiteration #6,637,776,216
http://wuxia.duowan.com/1507/300131569917.html

Wudu ability info and some videos.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Ok so you want money.

gently caress you make friends.

Not those friends, better friends.

In fact, make friends with people who can run carts. Because those guys know what is up.

Running carts is the way to make money and requires a group of at least 2 people. One of which is required to be a body guard who drives and starts the quest while the other guy just rides on the cart with them. Not only does it require a group but you can be raided by other players in a group or by npcs.

First off you are going to need a flag.

This is Hongzhou, which looks like suzhou for those who played age of wushu. It is the first major city you go to.

Find this on the map, it has the profession vendors

You will find these npcs that sell things of varying quality

This is what the beginner vendor sells

This is what the intermediate vendor sells

The difference here is level 31 or 41. Those coins required for the trade are either level 31 stone coins from dailys below 41 or copper coins from dailys above 41.
There is one more type of coin the last two vendors share that I don't know much about.

Your other option for these is at the auction house where you will purchase them from treasure hunters who will find junk randomly.

From there I am bored and will do more later where is the wiki.

Natalie_Luna
Jun 18, 2013

goon
ɡuːn/

NORTH AMERICAN
a bully or thug

Bully - 欺负
Thug - 暴徒

No one symbol definition, rip clantag.

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

When (that's no) moon hits this guy like a big Twi'lek guy: Liberatore!

Natalie_Luna posted:

goon
ɡuːn/

NORTH AMERICAN
a bully or thug

Bully - 欺负
Thug - 暴徒

Ugh

癌 - Cancer

I also liked this one:

痞 - swelling of the liver, ruffian, lump in the abdomen, bandit, canaille, gangster

Almond Crunch
Oct 29, 2005
God-damn tasty..

Natalie_Luna posted:

goon
ɡuːn/

NORTH AMERICAN
a bully or thug

Bully - 欺负
Thug - 暴徒

欺负 is a verb and 暴徒 is, haha, actually pretty good; it make me think of foot-soldiers from ninja turtles.

Why are we translating random words now?

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Almond Crunch posted:

欺负 is a verb and 暴徒 is, haha, actually pretty good; it make me think of foot-soldiers from ninja turtles.

Why are we translating random words now?

Gotta find a name for the clan when we inevitably goonrush it after the wiki is made

Almond Crunch
Oct 29, 2005
God-damn tasty..

randombattle posted:

I'm Goku in game.

Chinese people, even on the internet, are REALLY SURPRISED that non-chinese people can do things like walk or use a keyboard. Whenever goons are shouting about stuff in local chat, their conversation turns to us. Having a chinese name allows me to pretend to be on their side, and say things that, if said by a foreigner, would be incendiary and lead to poor relations, but said by a 'chinese person', makes them REALLY CONFUSED

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

we had a conversation with two nice chinese guys who were about to take their english exam

they kept saying the game was more fun with more people

also I get this question a lot

"How do you play this game if you don't speak chinese"

"poorly"

Almond Crunch
Oct 29, 2005
God-damn tasty..
Welp, if you get this screen, you've been banned.

Almond Crunch fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jul 7, 2015

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

Almond Crunch posted:

Welp, if you get this screen, you've been banned.

What's the ban reason? Dirty foreigner?

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

https://www.reddit.com/r/MoonlightBladeonline/comments/3cd4ll/tecent_just_banned_17000_accounts_be_careful_what/

http://wuxia.gamebbs.qq.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=126886&extra=page%3D1

Almond Crunch
Oct 29, 2005
God-damn tasty..

That's exceptionally synchronic and incredibly helpful, but my ban is for a week, hahaha so I apparently actually did something.

So uh, if you're looking for a guild name that will make chinese people rage irrationally, might i suggest '钓鱼岛才是日本的'

Also, '伤害中国人民的感情' is a literally set phrase, and QQ has informed me that it's also why I've been suspended, so watch the gently caress out, goons.

Almond Crunch fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jul 7, 2015

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

quote:

[–]Giarc2 2 points 9 hours ago
yeah....... I'm not impressed with them !!!
Both my own and my little daughters account got banned :-( My daughter was not to happy, some thing about her pretty costumes lol!

Yes, his... little daughter's pretty costumes. :sweatdrop:

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Almond Crunch posted:

So uh, if you're looking for a guild name that will make chinese people rage irrationally, might i suggest '钓鱼岛才是日本的'

This is beautiful

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Wiki is coming Grithok. I was moving today suck a dick.

As far as guild names, I like Almond's, but I'd prefer not to get IP banned from the entire chinese internet.

I know 'Goon Squad' translates directly to '打手队'. And yes, unlike your character's name, guild names have to be in chinese.

We also get to pick a single character guild tag that goes next to every clan member's name. I'm not sure if it's from a list or not though. No really good idea for that one though.

Almond Crunch
Oct 29, 2005
God-damn tasty..

Pavlov posted:

Wiki is coming Grithok. I was moving today suck a dick.

As far as guild names, I like Almond's, but I'd prefer not to get IP banned from the entire chinese internet.

I know 'Goon Squad' translates directly to '打手队'. And yes, unlike your character's name, guild names have to be in chinese.

We also get to pick a single character guild tag that goes next to every clan member's name. I'm not sure if it's from a list or not though. No really good idea for that one though.

I mean we're looking for vulgarity and overall childishness, right? I think the single char should be 鸡, which technically just means chicken, but is unmistakably evocative of the most standard slang for penis.

Also '百年国耻' might slip past because it's a well-worn phrase in communist propaganda, but is only apparently trollish if you realize it's the name of a guild of foreigners.

八国联军 is, of course, entirely fitting for a guild of foreigners on a chinese game, and I think would only be offensive to frothing-at-the-mouth patriotic types, if you want to take a middle-road.

I understand we want to translate Goon, but really, either come up with a clever transliteration (Coca-Cola's KeKou KeLe is the gold standard, as it works as a transliteration and can be translated to roughly mean 'Delicious and Spreading Joy'), or abandon that idea. Goon in english owes a lot to our cultural idea of, well, organized crime and for that reason is evocative of Italian-ness and our stereotypes about those sort of things that is TOTALLY lost in translation.

Almond Crunch fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jul 8, 2015

Natalie_Luna
Jun 18, 2013

Almond Crunch posted:

I mean we're looking for vulgarity and overall childishness, right? I think the single char should be 鸡, which technically just means chicken, but is unmistakably evocative of the most standard slang for penis.

Also '百年国耻' might slip past because it's a well-worn phrase in communist propaganda, but is only apparently trollish if you realize it's the name of a guild of foreigners.

八国联军 is, of course, entirely fitting for a guild of foreigners on a chinese game, and I think would only be offensive to frothing-at-the-mouth patriotic types, if you want to take a middle-road.

I understand we want to translate Goon, but really, either come up with a clever transliteration (Coca-Cola's KeKou KeLe is the gold standard, as it works as a transliteration and can be translated to roughly mean 'Delicious and Spreading Joy'), or abandon that idea. Goon in english owes a lot to our cultural idea of, well, organized crime and for that reason is evocative of Italian-ness and our stereotypes about those sort of things that is TOTALLY lost in translation.

Add to that goon is a american word in old english it means foolish person... wich is also accurate to some goons of course.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Do Chinese people call dirty foreigners dogs or is that just a Vietnamese thing.

Almond Crunch
Oct 29, 2005
God-damn tasty..

Natalie_Luna posted:

Add to that goon is a american word in old english it means foolish person... wich is also accurate to some goons of course.

So now that I've been critical, let me be helpful:

滚: the pinyin is 'gun', but pinyin is stupid, so it's pronounced gu-wen, but rolled into one syllable. It's probably the best phonetic approximation you're gonna get out of chinese. Anyway, it means 'roll', but basically means 'gently caress off'. It's a pretty good candidate for our one-char guy.

棍: also pinyin-ed as 'gun' (don't you love tonal languages?), but this time it's fourth tone. You don't care about that, but fourth tone is the quickest, meaning this one sounds as close to 'goon' as you're gonna get (the above is third tone, which is the longest, meaning it sounds almost like the english name 'Gwen'.)
This one is actually almost a cognate.

Alone it means stick. Honestly, if you're playing a goddamned wuxia game, you should probably recognize this character. It's important now because it's featured prominently in the linguistic metonymy of chinese:

警棍 is literally a policeman's baton. From there we go on to 党棍. The first character, 党, means party, as in the Chinese Communist Party. So what's a 党棍? It's a party official. This is the metonymy at play with this word; someone who is used as an instrument by their superior.

Of course, you can't just say 棍, that's too easy. I mean I guess you could, but the associative and literary powers of the chinese people are not especially cultivated these days, and while I'm sure there are some wonderfully clever and creative chinese guys out there, they're probably not playing MMOs, and they're definitely not the majority.

Of course the story of human triumph is not really about the individual, but rather of collective learning and passing this collective to successive generations, and the chinese have had a lot of generations. My point is that we're gonna have to used well-worn tropes and terms, and resist our western individualist urges to all be little shakespeares.

光棍 is probably the most common. Combining the chars for 'bright' and 'rod', it means either scoundrel or bachelor, in much the way that 'playboy' might in English. I don't think this is what we're going for, although moral profligacy is certainly nice. Pronounced 'Gu-wang' in the first syllable, and 'gu-wen', for the pinyin rendition as 'guang gun'. It keeps the G, but eh, not exactly 'goon'.

恶棍 is also fairly common. 恶 means evil or disgusting, so this is pretty standard and requires little interpretation. 恶 is pronounced 'Uh', and in pinyin written as 'e' (That's right, literally everyone in TS was pronouncing 'e mei' totally wrong). Uh gu-wen, altogether sounds pretty similar to 'A goon', so, this is pretty decent actually.

土棍 is decent too. 土 is pronounced (loving finally) as it's written, 'tu', and means dirt or earth. In that sense it turns the standard 恶棍 into a more local phenomenon, like a village bully. It's immediately evocative of two words, the first of which also influencing the second. 土 of course means earth or dirt, but is also an adjective meaning old-fashioned or 'from the villiage'. This is likely the etymology of the most popular chinese internet neologism, 土豪 (there is legit poo poo in the store called the 土豪 bag) which is a repurposed communist term roughly equivalent to the russian 'Kulak'/'кулак', which is coincidentally also a metonymic term meaning 'fist'. Anyway, nowadays, 土豪 means something equivalent to 'noveau-riche', or basically anyone who has too much money but too little culture to know what to do with it.

I actually like this one the best; while it loses a bit of phonetic congruence, I feel one of the most important connotations of the english term, 'goon' is that goons are simple. What's the difference between a goon and a mook? A goon is hired. 恶棍 shows that you're bad and acting on others orders, but 土棍 throws that additional element in; you're not just a bad guy who has sold his agency for cash, you're also an ignorant mook.

There's also 讼棍 which is so weird to see because I thought excessive litigiousness for personal profit was a novel american phenomenon, but when they say china has done it all before, they really mean it.

Almond Crunch fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jul 8, 2015

Almond Crunch
Oct 29, 2005
God-damn tasty..

randombattle posted:

Do Chinese people call dirty foreigners dogs or is that just a Vietnamese thing.

yes, you will actually have a difficult time finding a chinese person who would deign to refer to the japanese as people, instead dropping their nationality entirely, and correctly assuming that other chinese people would be able to discern from context that 'dog' means 'japanese person'

Almond Crunch
Oct 29, 2005
God-damn tasty..

Almond Crunch posted:

disorganized rambling about words

oh, right, so just add '队' and then it will be squad. I quite like '土棍队' if you don't feel like reading that huge post i just made.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I think 鬼佬 should make an appearance somewhere :colbert:

Almond Crunch
Oct 29, 2005
God-damn tasty..

Pham Nuwen posted:

I think 鬼佬 should make an appearance somewhere :colbert:

While there are surely some players from Guandong province, that this word has slightly different meanings in standard mandarin and cantonese make it a bit problematic. Anyway, there are more derogatory words for foreigners we could use, but if we're going to take this angle, the two historical suggestions I made in the first, shorter post accomplish it well.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Well, whenever I try to talk top chinese using google translate and it doesn't work, I say '对不起,我笨鬼佬' and they seem to get what I mean.

BERGfu
Aug 24, 2010

肉棒

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

So hunter 猎户 can catch animals. I've read that blue rarity animals may come with skills and that we may train them with pet skill books 宠物技能书.

I can't find out where to get these besides the AH. Like where do they come from.

Here is an example skill book 兽诀:凤池吟

Almond Crunch
Oct 29, 2005
God-damn tasty..

Third World Reggin posted:

So hunter 猎户 can catch animals. I've read that blue rarity animals may come with skills and that we may train them with pet skill books 宠物技能书.

I can't find out where to get these besides the AH. Like where do they come from.

Here is an example skill book 兽诀:凤池吟

http://bbs.duowan.com/thread-43108809-1-1.html

Seems they come from that rabbit quest, or from chests.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Mixology was saying those rabbit quest are some times the hunter event, like the tool tip changes.

Either way, I need to figure out what time those things happen and to get a better screen cap of the event notification in the chat box.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

I decided to go through all of my skills to figure out what they do

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1nu-Y1Aowny3YpJPerRAbmCkufi4nT_eyAuMlfdf8kC0/edit?usp=sharing

I still have some confusion when they refer to your parry bar and resource bar.

But it seems that the basic attacks for shenway and the multi spear thrust all return parry.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Move over subway

Gametime equals VIP

If you ever get some brown ticket looking poo poo, you can buy it

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Ok, I started a Goonlight Blade wiki. Seeded it with 2 pages on getting in game and moving around the map, cus that seems to be the first things people gently caress up on. They're kind of rough because I don't know how to wikia that well. If you see a minor mistake, don't tell me just fix it. If you actually care to make stuff and you need admin privileges just ask and I'll give them. I can't easily do class and profession info on non-beggar, non-teasure-hunter choices, so if anyone can do something on those it'd be a big help. If you make a new page and it's not poo poo, stick a link to it on the main page, I'll eventually get around to making proper navigation. Just don't post dick pics or call everyone friend of the family faggots so we don't break the TOS.

Yes the background is gaudy this is the wiki we deserve.

Pavlov fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jul 8, 2015

Hy_C
Apr 1, 2010

Pavlov posted:

Ok, I started a Goonlight Blade wiki. Seeded it with 2 pages on getting in game and moving around the map, cus that seems to be the first things people gently caress up on. They're kind of rough because I don't know how to wikia that well. If you see a minor mistake, don't tell me just fix it. If you actually care to make stuff and you need admin privileges just ask and I'll give them. I can't easily do class and profession info on non-beggar, non-teasure-hunter choices, so if anyone can do something on those it'd be a big help. If you make a new page and it's not poo poo, stick a link to it on the main page, I'll eventually get around to making proper navigation. Just don't post dick pics or call everyone friend of the family faggots so we don't break the TOS.

Yes the background is gaudy this is the wiki we deserve.

Why didn't you name it moonlight blade? Also you need to get some people to help you flesh this out besides goons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Because if I'm going to do this poo poo I'm going to have fun with it. Anyone is free to contribute, that's not even just my opinion it's wikia ToS. If someone wants to make a more serious general wiki later, they can copypaste everything there and I literally can't stop them. It's the best compromise I could think of between open collaboration and goons having the special snowlflake private wikis they like so much.