Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
clammy
Nov 25, 2004

I like the idea of going to space because it seems like it would be all peaceful and serene to be floating around up in the dark, seeing stars and whatnot. If you have a big ship to take you places, there would be all kinds of LEDs flashing everywhere and a bunch of computer displays showing science stuff. You might have a girlfriend or wife in your spaceship, and you can make love while floating around your cabin. The only problem is that Mars aint' the kind of place to raise a kid. In fact it's cold as hell. Plus it has gravity so no floating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

tsa posted:

I really don't think people here "get" the laws of physics or how loving big space is. The "save the human race" is a big clue the person you are talking to hasn't the slightest clue about the actual realities of space travel. There is quite literally nothing within 100's of lightyears that is better for people than earth regardless of whatever the hell we do to it. Underground cities would be a bagillion times easier than whatever the gently caress space nuts are proposing.
I don't think the anti-space people here "get" that it's actually possible to take a long view of things.

Space is big, but time is long. It's possible to think we should get started even if we think it will take a long time to do certain things.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!
but really, in the long view everyone will die so why bother

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

GlyphGryph posted:

I don't think the anti-space people here "get" that it's actually possible to take a long view of things.

Space is big, but time is long. It's possible to think we should get started even if we think it will take a long time to do certain things.

“I think the US government should spend 500 billion to sequence genomes of plants because one day genetic engineering will allow us to grow pineapples in Greenland and design new food crops which will finally end food scarcity.”

The problem is that if the person I'm talking to doesn't think those are plausible predictions she's now in opposition to me. I have sabotaged my own argument by putting focus on the merits of growing citrus fruit on the Arctic circle instead of what it should be about : learning about biology and genetic engineering.

This is the problem when people use cities on Mars or insurance policy, O'Neil cylinders, Dyson Spheres, industrial scale space mining, generation ships etc etc as a justification to do things now. If I don't think those things will ever happen your arguments have, in my mind, instead painted the whole endeavour as an expensive folly. Predictions about the future application of technology – which we know is a largely futile exercise – obfuscates the subject and makes your position more difficult because you now have to prove something you logically can't prove instead of just making the case that space research can be worthwhile on its own merits. These arguments can and do work against your position.

We can make bold predictions about the sweeping changes robots, genetic engineering, materials science, AI and so on and so on will have on human society and how they may or may not solve existential problems facing us but in reality it's just guesswork. We simply don't know. We can talk about the ways society might change but it's not a sensible justification for undertaking specific avenues of research.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Anosmoman posted:

“I think the US government should spend 500 billion to sequence genomes of plants because one day genetic engineering will allow us to grow pineapples in Greenland and design new food crops which will finally end food scarcity.”

The problem is that if the person I'm talking to doesn't think those are plausible predictions she's now in opposition to me. I have sabotaged my own argument by putting focus on the merits of growing citrus fruit on the Arctic circle instead of what it should be about : learning about biology and genetic engineering.

This is the problem when people use cities on Mars or insurance policy, O'Neil cylinders, Dyson Spheres, industrial scale space mining, generation ships etc etc as a justification to do things now. If I don't think those things will ever happen your arguments have, in my mind, instead painted the whole endeavour as an expensive folly. Predictions about the future application of technology – which we know is a largely futile exercise – obfuscates the subject and makes your position more difficult because you now have to prove something you logically can't prove instead of just making the case that space research can be worthwhile on its own merits. These arguments can and do work against your position.

We can make bold predictions about the sweeping changes robots, genetic engineering, materials science, AI and so on and so on will have on human society and how they may or may not solve existential problems facing us but in reality it's just guesswork. We simply don't know. We can talk about the ways society might change but it's not a sensible justification for undertaking specific avenues of research.

particularly when the human race, and indeed all life in the universe, is doomed to eventual extinction anyway

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Humans are, with 100% certainty, going to end as a species on this planet and this planet alone.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Anosmoman posted:

Your analogy (like every other anti space stuff analogy) in this thread is poo poo because the US government and other governments have, in fact, spent money on sequencing genomes under the assumption that sequencing genomes will be hard and expensive and take forever but will eventually have benefits. The result is that nowadays you can sequence a barcode for $3, a mitochondrial genome for like $15, and a whole eukaryote genome for a couple grand (bloated plant genomes are still a bit pricy but we're getting there and yet stuff like the African Orphan Crops Consortium are already a thing for people who like sequencing genomes in their spare time). Recall that when the human genome project was starting, everyone projected we'd have sequenced like a few percent of the human genome in the year of our lord two thousand and fifteen.

e2: however you do have a point in that researching cool stuff is a reward in and of itself

e:

Modest Mao posted:

Humans are, with 100% certainty, going to end as a species on this planet and this planet alone.

not if someone books a space x mars tour and kills him self on the surface

suck my woke dick fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Jul 9, 2015

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Anosmoman posted:

Since the opposition here was already demanding some concrete results as a starting point for thinking the activity "not worthless", you're basically saying here that there's absolutely no way to convince them because they won't believe anything we say anyway.

Which certainly seems to be the case, yeah.

Tezzor posted:

There are a lot of great reasons to go to space. For example:
1. I want to spend other people's money on my primitive religious sentiment.
You haven't said what you'd prefer to spend money on that isn't what you consider a primitive religious sentiment, which presumably would be "anything you agree with".

quote:

2. There are great opportunities. These are purely hypothetical and in fact generally counterfactual to everything we know scientifically about space, but see 1.
3. Those who value money will find great opportunity in space. See 2.
4. A fantasy that requires the breach of fundamental laws of nature. See 1 and 2.
You also appear to be pretty ignorant and short-sighted. It's okay though, you won't ever have to go to space, but you're not actually making much of a case for why other people shouldn't. You haven't even explained why they shouldn't be more than happy to use your money to do it, or why we should care if you don't want them to.

Tezzor - why shouldn't we take all your money and spend it on space? Please justify your argument in terms we would care about, in a way that isn't just based on your own "primitive religious sentiments" or some sort of transient bullshit that will retroactively never have matted a mere hundred years from now.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Jul 9, 2015

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

GlyphGryph posted:

Since the opposition here was already demanding some concrete results as a starting point for thinking the activity "not worthless", you're basically saying here that there's absolutely no way to convince them because they won't believe anything we say anyway.

no you see the evidence for climate change is incredibly weak and mostly made-up by scientists who want more grants, and we are totally not dismissive of it because of any preexisting bias

oh wait this isn't the climate thread

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

blowfish posted:

Your analogy (like every other anti space stuff analogy) in this thread is poo poo because the US government and other governments have, in fact, spent money on sequencing genomes under the assumption that sequencing genomes will be hard and expensive and take forever but will eventually have benefits. The result is that nowadays you can sequence a barcode for $3, a mitochondrial genome for like $15, and a whole eukaryote genome for a couple grand (bloated plant genomes are still a bit pricy but we're getting there and yet stuff like the African Orphan Crops Consortium are already a thing for people who like sequencing genomes in their spare time). Recall that when the human genome project was starting, everyone projected we'd have sequenced like a few percent of the human genome in the year of our lord two thousand and fifteen.

e2: however you do have a point in that researching cool stuff is a reward in and of itself

That's not what I'm saying. My point is that talking about stuff you maybe, possibly one day be able to do with a technology is at best a distraction and at worst turns the other person against you if they don't think it's plausible or desirable.

"We should build a research station on Mars because learning if there was - or was not - ever life there will have a profound impact on how we understand ourselves as a species and our place in the universe."
vs.
"We have to build a colony on Mars so we can put a million people there to ensure the survival of our species"

The first argument is about the immediate, direct benefits of the project. The second is something that we may simply never do and a lot of people don't think we will or should. I'm just saying that if we want to get as many people on board with research in space the focus should be on the research and not hypothetical future applications of it. It's like justifying the human genome project by saying then one day we will have super strength and eternal life. Well poo poo, maybe we will, but I still say that it would be better to focus on more immediate benefits.

GlyphGryph posted:

I think there's many benefits. It's just not as sexy as Star Trek though.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Modest Mao posted:

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Anosmoman posted:

The first argument is about the immediate, direct benefits of the project. The second is something that we may simply never do and a lot of people don't think we will or should. I'm just saying that if we want to get as many people on board with research in space the focus should be on the research and not hypothetical future applications of it. It's like justifying the human genome project by saying then one day we will have super strength and eternal life. Well poo poo, maybe we will, but I still say that it would be better to focus on more immediate benefits.

I think there's many benefits. It's just not as sexy as Star Trek though.

Right, to add to that "Since the opposition here was already demanding some concrete results as a starting point for thinking the activity "not worthless", there's absolutely no way to convince them because they won't believe anything we say anyway and we shouldn't even try, because attempting to do so may alienize people who are not yet in opposition to us."

From a rhetorical point of view, I agree with you. Although I don't think anyone who who finds "a speed boost to research, an increase however slight in the opportunity to profit off something, and if we do it long enough and hard enough maybe even an increased chance of finding extraterrestial life" as completely impossible and entirely implausible is probably already firmly in the "opposition no matter what the cost" camp.

I firmly believe it is still within our power to kill a man on the moon.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

tsa posted:

1) We have more scientists and engineers than we know what to do with.
A larger pool means a higher peak, so long as the rewards for excellence are still there. And is this actually even true? Engineers still seem to be pretty well paid, and there still seems to be plenty of science left to do.

tsa posted:

2) Can make a much better argument that we should explore the ocean first. Money is limited for these sorts of things, manned space exploration is flashy but there's much better uses of the money.
Someone could make such an argument, yes, and I might even be open to it. But that's an argument about priorities, not whether or not something is worth doing at all. And no one in this thread has actually made that as a genuine argument, they've only floated the idea as a tangential and nonsensical jab against space.

quote:

3) Will be done without people in space. In general there's no good reason at all to put people up there given advances in robotic technology.
I think you're vastly overestimating our robotics technology. A space based manufacturing center would require human presence at our current and near future technological levels. And a space based manufacturing center would be a huge boost in increasing the likelihood of this happening, and the timescale in which it would happen if it happens at all.

quote:

4) Will not be done by manned space exploration.
But probably won't happen without it, either, unless we develop some magical technology that allows us to instantly communicate through the void of space.

quote:

I really don't think people here "get" the laws of physics or how loving big space is. The "save the human race" is a big clue the person you are talking to hasn't the slightest clue about the actual realities of space travel. There is quite literally nothing within 100's of lightyears that is better for people than earth regardless of whatever the hell we do to it. Underground cities would be a bagillion times easier than whatever the gently caress space nuts are proposing.
Considering we've already built underground cities - yes, of course that would be easier. But that doesn't help anything I've listed? The knowledge potential of underground cities is pretty limited and specific to underground cities. (although I do think it might be worth building more underground cities just to acquire that knowledge, it seems useful to me especially in relation to potential future space settlement)

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

GlyphGryph posted:

Right, to add to that "Since the opposition here was already demanding some concrete results as a starting point for thinking the activity "not worthless", there's absolutely no way to convince them because they won't believe anything we say anyway and we shouldn't even try, because attempting to do so may alienize people who are not yet in opposition to us."

From a rhetorical point of view, I agree with you. Although I don't think anyone who who finds "a speed boost to research, an increase however slight in the opportunity to profit off something, and if we do it long enough and hard enough maybe even an increased chance of finding extraterrestial life" as completely impossible and entirely implausible is probably already firmly in the "opposition no matter what the cost" camp.

Well the reason I bring it up is my experiences with these forums. For a while the only arguments for or against space I was ever exposed to was here in D&D and there has been a very long tradition for techno fetishists to constantly bring up these flakey hypotheticals. Some years ago we had a resident futurist singularity goonlord that unironically lamented that we hadn't built the Battlestar Galactica. No, really! The discussion immediately turns to whether building an aircraft carrier in space is useful or a good idea and then that becomes the dividing line between pro and anti-space. It's a very difficult argument to win because... well, it's stupid. So over time you kinda develop a negative view of space research because so many of the arguments for it seem outlandish or impractical.

The space thread in "Science, Academics and Languages" is much more level-headed and people don't sperg out about these things. People are excited just learning new things and are amazed about every boundary we cross. And it IS amazing! I don't know if it's exactly inspiring but it definitely leaves me with a much more positive view of space and open to funding it.

Obviously you can use whatever arguments you want but I think some have the opposite effect on a lot of people – it certainly did on me. Anyway, peace out and prosper.

Bates fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jul 9, 2015

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS
+1 for investing in to underground cities

let's make The Time Machine a reality

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Anosmoman posted:

unironically lamented that we hadn't built the Battlestar Galactica

...starting another petition on whitehouse.gov

a gigantic orion boomship full of smaller nuclear rocket powered space fighters in space is an acceptable substitute :awesome:

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Anosmoman posted:

Obviously you can use whatever arguments you want but I think some have the opposite effect on a lot of people – it certainly did on me. Anyway, peace out and prosper.

why would that matter when death is certain?

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

down with slavery posted:

+1 for investing in to underground cities

let's make The Time Machine a reality

we should spend all the money on researching how to make a time machine. think of all the accidental discoveries and how much cooler rich white people's lives will be if we succeed. It also means humanity will exist at two points in time, protecting us from population collapse

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn

your first post itt should have been "Space Travel is Boring"

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Rodatose posted:

your first post itt should have been "Space Travel is Boring"

yeah, whoops

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Modest Mao posted:

we should spend all the money on researching how to make a time machine. think of all the accidental discoveries and how much cooler rich white people's lives will be if we succeed. It also means humanity will exist at two points in time, protecting us from population collapse

As a physicist, I unironically endorse this proposal. Please throw more money at theoretical physics research, you weren't going to use it on poor people anyway and you know it.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Modest Mao posted:

Bold claim. I'm a huge warming alarmist, but I don't think we'll end. Maybe regress a lot, but probably not end.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

CommieGIR posted:

Bold claim. I'm a huge warming alarmist, but I don't think we'll end. Maybe regress a lot, but probably not end.

all of us, all life, will end one day

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Now it's been 17 summers since I've seen my mother

But every night I see her smile inside my dreams

Ernie Muppari posted:

all of us, all life, will end one day

I feel you on this

But you gotta get out of bed some days, dude

Maybe go look at pictures of planets, it's super cool

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Armani posted:

I feel you on this

But you gotta get out of bed some days, dude

Maybe go look at pictures of planets, it's super cool

incorrect

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Now it's been 17 summers since I've seen my mother

But every night I see her smile inside my dreams

Have a macro response

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Armani posted:

Have a macro response

the orion nebula too, will one day cease to exist

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Ernie Muppari posted:

the orion nebula too, will one day cease to exist

And it's got a ~1300 year head start on us, so we'd better get our asses in gear.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Weltlich posted:

And it's got a ~1300 year head start on us, so we'd better get our asses in gear.

So you're saying we shouldn't focus so much on manned space travel so much as doing everything we can to hurry our local region of space into oblivion, before that damned Orion Nebula beats us to it?

Truly, a noble goal.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

GlyphGryph posted:

So you're saying we shouldn't focus so much on manned space travel so much as doing everything we can to hurry our local region of space into oblivion, before that damned Orion Nebula beats us to it?

Truly, a noble goal.

indeed

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

GlyphGryph posted:

You haven't said what you'd prefer to spend money on that isn't what you consider a primitive religious sentiment, which presumably would be "anything you agree with".

You also appear to be pretty ignorant and short-sighted. It's okay though, you won't ever have to go to space, but you're not actually making much of a case for why other people shouldn't. You haven't even explained why they shouldn't be more than happy to use your money to do it, or why we should care if you don't want them to.

Tezzor - why shouldn't we take all your money and spend it on space? Please justify your argument in terms we would care about, in a way that isn't just based on your own "primitive religious sentiments" or some sort of transient bullshit that will retroactively never have matted a mere hundred years from now.

In terms you care about, were you to take all my assets you could certainly enrich yourself or some subgroup you like far more directly and effectively than you would via investing it in toys you don't own and hoping that some technologies that you have to purchase fall out of the process

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Tezzor posted:

In terms you care about, were you to take all my assets you could certainly enrich yourself or some subgroup you like far more directly and effectively than you would via investing it in toys you don't own and hoping that some technologies that you have to purchase fall out of the process

but why would you do either of those things when it doesn't matter?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Tezzor posted:

You're the one obsessed with technologies we have to purchase falling out being a prequisite of spending on space, not us, so that part fails the "in terms we would care about" bit.

This "enriching oneself" bit may have something behind it, but the reasoning, implying spending it on space would be done somehow in an attempt to "enrich" ourselves, is kind of weird, since we obviously don't want to spend money on space travel to make ourselves wealthy. That would be pretty absurd. On the other hand, one group I particularly like is Space Scientists, Space Engineers, and other associated Space People. So spending it on space would be directly enriching a subgroup I like pretty effectively.

I'm pretty comfortable, and though I wouldn't turn down taking all your money for myself to pay off some loans or something, if given then option to do that or be a part of a group that has collectively agreed such seizings would go towards space instead... I'd probably pick the group. I'm not a particularly selfish person. Of course, I'd probably be willing to be part of a group that put that money towards lots of things I considered to be in line with my primitive religious sentiments, like libraries and schools and physics and even the ocean research people like to bring up so much.

So, try again.

Also, would you actually be more okay with me taking your money and spending it on myself than on space?

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Jul 12, 2015

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
I love that Tezzor's entire argument still circles it wagons around the Libertarian debate point of :qq: "Taxes are theft and gubamint spent my money on something I personally object to" :qq:

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

CommieGIR posted:

I love that Tezzor's entire argument still circles it wagons around the Libertarian debate point of :qq: "Taxes are theft and gubamint spent my money on something I personally object to" :qq:

Well taking his most recent argument into account, he's actually fine with us stealing his money, so long as we spend it on things that aren't space.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

GlyphGryph posted:

Well taking his most recent argument into account, he's actually fine with us stealing his money, so long as we spend it on things that aren't space.

So long as the investment is profitable within the quarter.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

CommieGIR posted:

Taxation is fine. Everyone, not just libertarians, complains that their taxes are being spent on things they don't like. You yourself in this very that complain that your taxes are being spent in such volume in the military.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

GlyphGryph posted:

You're the one obsessed with technologies we have to purchase falling out being a prequisite of spending on space, not us, so that part fails the "in terms we would care about" bit.

This "enriching oneself" bit may have something behind it, but the reasoning, implying spending it on space would be done somehow in an attempt to "enrich" ourselves, is kind of weird, since we obviously don't want to spend money on space travel to make ourselves wealthy. That would be pretty absurd. On the other hand, one group I particularly like is Space Scientists, Space Engineers, and other associated Space People. So spending it on space would be directly enriching a subgroup I like pretty effectively.

I'm pretty comfortable, and though I wouldn't turn down taking all your money for myself to pay off some loans or something, if given then option to do that or be a part of a group that has collectively agreed such seizings would go towards space instead... I'd probably pick the group. I'm not a particularly selfish person. Of course, I'd probably be willing to be part of a group that put that money towards lots of things I considered to be in line with my primitive religious sentiments, like libraries and schools and physics and even the ocean research people like to bring up so much.

So, try again.

Also, would you actually be more okay with me taking your money and spending it on myself than on space?

No, of course not, but you asked me to couch it in terms you care about. It's nicely indicative that the people you care about are space scientists, however. Who else could possibly need the money?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Tezzor posted:

No, of course not, but you asked me to couch it in terms you care about. It's nicely indicative that the people you care about are space scientists, however. Who else could possibly need the money?
Yeah but you failed to do so, despite the fact that it really would have been trivial to do, indicating that you don't actually understand why anyone who has posted thinks space is worth spending money on despite them having made it abundantly clear.

Tezzor posted:

It's nicely indicative that the people you care about are space scientists, however. Who else could possibly need the money?
You specifically said "some subgroup I like", not "whoever needs it most" or whatever bullshit you're trying to spin this into.

Who would you rather I give your stolen money to, and why should I?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Tezzor posted:

how exactly is shifting some of the money in one state on earth going to end suffering more quickly and cheaply than the death of every living thing on this planet?

• Locked thread