Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Kuntz posted:

What level 2 skill have people been taking on their IJN cruiser captains? I'm thinking of either the fire prevention one or the long range artillery warning, the first two seem kinda marginal considering you get 203mm guns from tier 5 and on.

You mean level 2 skill that isn't torpedo reloading? Uhh, the turret rotation skill, as IJN DDs have awful turret turning speed. With situation awareness you should just assume you're constantly being shot at if you're detected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

BIG HEADLINE posted:

You can't even buy it for real money anymore - going through the website link it pops up "item not found."

It is kind of hysterical that the *only* premium ships you can now get your hands on are the Aurora, Murmansk, and Ishizuchi (through the premium store).

Well, at least with the Warspite they did say back in CBT it was a limited time thing that was going to disappear when OBT started

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Holy poo poo, finally got to try out manual torping with bombers and its a whole different ballgame. Now it is much easier to hit enemy ships, and take advantage of terrain and minimum arming ranges.

Also managed to kill a battleship with flooding alone. I had no idea flooding did so much damage; I got that 'Liquidator' award, which means he must have had repair on cooldown.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I'm playing my first destroyer round tonight. If the fog pops behind you, do you just pop it and promptly turn around to hide behind it? Or is there some other trick to it?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I'm playing my first destroyer round tonight. If the fog pops behind you, do you just pop it and promptly turn around to hide behind it? Or is there some other trick to it?

You can. But even if you keep moving forward, the enemy will typically only see you pop in and out intermittently.

Kuntz
Feb 17, 2011

grrarg posted:

Long range artillery warning is pretty useless. 6+ second flight times are either from a battleship sniping and hoping to get lucky or a cruiser that should be immediately obvious without wasting two skill points.

Aiming Expert cuts off a significant chunk of traversal time. Someone posted a chart in the thread a couple of days ago.

Fire prevention is also good.

Edit: Found the traversal chart. Furutaka and Myoko are 45 seconds base. Aoba, Ibuki, and Zao are 36 seconds. Mogami is 40s on 155mm and 30s on 203mm.

Thanks to everyone who pointed this out, but the chart is especially useful. Should probably go in the OP I think.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Had a crazy game earlier where the enemy team had most of the caps but we kept getting kills at the last second (once with the enemy team at 999 or so) and managed to just pull out a win.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Panfilo posted:

You can. But even if you keep moving forward, the enemy will typically only see you pop in and out intermittently.

So does it just billow out enough to largely cover the ship?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Pretty sure it does. When you see enemy destroyers pop smoke, there's a smoke trail on/behind them, and their icon will keep popping in and out of your screen, making them difficult to target. Of course it is smart to double back behind the smokescreen too, particularly to launch torpedoes.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
Speaking of IJN cruisers, I just had my first OBT match in the Aoba. Stock config with a retraining captain. Erm..

...I don't remember it being this good. :stare:

Magni fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jul 8, 2015

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

22 Eargesplitten posted:

It produces enough to cover you, but only produces a new cloud every couple of seconds. If you run at top speed you'll make a bigger cloud, but you'll be visible on and off for a few seconds at a time as you go. If you run at about 20 knots or less you'll generally stay completely invisible but the cloud itself will be much smaller at the end since it only runs for 20 seconds now. I used to make a big cloud along the edge of cap points and double back through it, but now I try to make a cloud across the middle, then double back behind it and fire torpedoes through.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

TastyLemonDrops posted:

Do the secondary artillery take on the properties of the AP or HE shell type you choose? Do they actually lead their shots properly?

No. Secondary guns up to 5in will always use HE while secondary guns of bigger calibre (which right now means 140mm and 155mm secondaries on IJN battleships) will always use AP. They do lead their shots properly, but accuracyy is rather pants overall. They make up with quantity.

Hazdoc posted:

You mean level 2 skill that isn't torpedo reloading? Uhh, the turret rotation skill, as IJN DDs have awful turret turning speed. With situation awareness you should just assume you're constantly being shot at if you're detected.

The torp relaod skill isn't really all that useful for IJN cruisers beyond the Kuma. The heavy cruisers use torps much more situationally and can't really spam them anyway.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Okay, that's even bigger news to me. The fog hangs around past 20 seconds, it just stops making more at that point?

I assume it stops anybody spotting, not just enemies. Right?

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

Wade Wilson posted:

Just started playing this today and I'm finding the starter American ship to be a whole lot more fun than the Japanese ship; even after unlocking all of the modules and upgrading everything.

Following my play "style" in World of Tanks, I have my ship alternating shell types between full battery shots and that seems to really gently caress things up for whoever I'm shooting.

I play it similar but I fire HE first hoping to set them on fire, when I see that happen and they burn their repair then I can switch to AP or continue setting them ablaze with HE knowing there are no more repairs for a while at least.

Kuntz posted:

Thanks to everyone who pointed this out, but the chart is especially useful. Should probably go in the OP I think.

Done and thank you grrarg for posting that..

demonR6 fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Jul 7, 2015

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
Uh I didn't make that chart. I was dumb and forgot to see who posted it originally since I was editing a post instead of quoting. Let me see if I can find it again.

Found it:

Krogort posted:

I am terrible at avoiding torpedoes and torp bomber often ruin my day, what am I doing wrong ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HEiyWDcVLM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsDDFN842Fs

Also I made this, might interest some of you :

grrarg fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jul 7, 2015

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Is anyone else having trouble connecting since the update?

Dazh
Jul 9, 2008

Night10194 posted:

Is anyone else having trouble connecting since the update?

Yeah, I haven't been able to connect all day. I assumed it was down when I tried earlier, but it can't be down still, can it?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I'm seeing the different loadouts on the US CVs, and it looks like it is a combination of
-Mixed group of 3 types
-'Strike' configuration of TBs and DBs
-'Fighter' configuration with a DB squadron thrown in.

The problem I forsee is: How do you know you are going to be up against a bunch of enemy carriers? If you knew for sure, then taking fighter-heavy loadout would make sense. But since it is pretty random, and so far I haven't seen more than 2 carriers on either side, this seems like a risky commitment.

Doubly frustrating for the US is that the fighter centric loadouts come at a cost of torpedo bombers in general. At least with the 'strike' config you get a mix of both.

Perhaps if they really boost the XP/money gain to shooting down planes having an air superiority carrier will be worth it...

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Just had a Domination Fault Line game last 5:49 because the other team never capped a point. :stare:

Took me by surprise, and I was about to finish off that Tenryu after scoring 3 citadels on him :argh:

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Magni posted:

No. Secondary guns up to 5in will always use HE while secondary guns of bigger calibre (which right now means 140mm and 155mm secondaries on IJN battleships) will always use AP. They do lead their shots properly, but accuracyy is rather pants overall. They make up with quantity.

The torp relaod skill isn't really all that useful for IJN cruisers beyond the Kuma. The heavy cruisers use torps much more situationally and can't really spam them anyway.

Oh, whoops, thought you were talking about DDs. Yeah, the turret skill for sure.

wdarkk posted:

Had a crazy game earlier where the enemy team had most of the caps but we kept getting kills at the last second (once with the enemy team at 999 or so) and managed to just pull out a win.

Yeah, I thought we were gonna lose that one for sure. It was pretty close.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Hazdoc posted:

Yeah, I thought we were gonna lose that one for sure. It was pretty close.

I gotta remember to turn on replay recording.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Goddammit. 138000 points of damage from torpedos, sunk a Wyoming from 100% to 0, based another to pieces, took a New York down to sub 10k, but there wasn't enough people left on my team. Enemy Phoenix took out my engine twice, then got a magazine detonation on me before I could have fired my last salvo.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i don't really see how people are managing to get close to 4kms from someone to torp them consistently because every time i do that i'm blown to hell.

i'm loving terrible at destroyers

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Mans posted:

i don't really see how people are managing to get close to 4kms from someone to torp them consistently because every time i do that i'm blown to hell.

Which destroyer are you using? Part of the key to my recent dickstabbing success is using the Japanese destroyers with 7km range to lay down torpedo traps and wait for likely prey to blunder into them. Another key is to use your concealment to get around the main scrum and look for sniping BBs or CVs and ambush them; it doesn't matter if they see you coming, you can dodge a BB's fire fairly easily and you're a small target, and then you get in there and start the knifing.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Mans posted:

I consider myself pretty decent at this game - especially in regards to situational awareness, and the other night a destroyer managed to get within 1km of me because I was tunnel-visioned. He was either still on cooldown for his torpedoes or was trying to wreck me in one volley, since I noticed and blew him to hell. I should note that I was also in a St. Louis at the time, so it's his own stupidity for getting on my broadside.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Yeah, one of the rules of Destroyer Club: Do not gently caress with St. Louises, they are tailor made to bring ruin to you.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD
There's no need to get close unless you're buzzing them past an island with torps. Let a BB handle them, or shoot your torps and get concealed. The St. Louis' gun placement makes it impossible to sneak up on it at an angle where it can't hit you, and it's got SECONDARIES to boot. Just don't.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
Honestly in US destroyers I just tend to stay away from US cruisers. Especially St Louises. Other ones are actually fast enough and have good enough guns to chase you. Japanese cruisers can be a little easier to handle, since destroyer guns can do a pretty respectable amount of damage to them.

However, St Louises being scary ends the second you get 6+km torpedoes in IJN destroyers. At that point they become xp pinatas.

CitizenKain fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Jul 8, 2015

psy.Che
Feb 23, 2011
Any tips on using the Furutaka? I really liked the Kuma and had decent success with it, no such luck with the Furutaka though. It feels like a downgrade right now.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD

psy.Che posted:

Any tips on using the Furutaka? I really liked the Kuma and had decent success with it, no such luck with the Furutaka though. It feels like a downgrade right now.

The Furutaka is a large change in playstyle from the Kuma. It's a heavy cruiser, and it really feels like it. The guns hit a lot harder, so use AP. Think of yourself like a mini battleship armed with torpedoes, and put yourself in a spot where you can fight other cruisers. If you have to fight a BB, try to close on it and use your torpedoes while hitting it with your primaries, you've got the Mutsuki's stock torpedoes on board, which pack an enormous punch. The torps do about 17k apiece, making them a real equalizer.

You can't zip around and harass anymore, you're not nimble and until you upgrade, your guns load slowly and your rudder shift time is abysmal. Plan your maneuvers in advance, and be extra cautious of enemy DDs and Torpedo bombers, since you can't shift your rudder fast enough to swiftly dodge out of the way.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.

psy.Che posted:

It is a downgrade in most ways due to the slow traversing turrets and long reload time. Basically play it like a fragile battleship that has accurate guns. Plan your route, turn your guns in advance, and hang behind other ships. It is the one ship where going on the blue line cruise along the edge of the map is justified.

Edit: Another thing is to never show your broadside to anyone. Like most IJN cruisers, it is easy to citadel. The guns have good angles too so if all else fails, you can kite ships by sailing directly away then turning back to unmask your guns and fire.

grrarg fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Jul 8, 2015

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

psy.Che posted:

If you angle your belt armor you can beat AP shooting Omahas. Your guns hit fairly hard with AP, and the torpedoes have good damage if you manage to get in range.
If you don't sink it quickly with citadel hits, you will lose to any somewhat competent HE shooting cruiser you see, even tier 3s. Try not to get shot by cruisers. At least your guns are reasonably accurate so you can actually get citadel hits.

But it feels like a downgrade because it is; the Kuma would be a better tier 5 even unchanged.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

IJN cruisers do not like getting stuck in gunfights with a St. Louis full of AP at 4km or less.

Are later US Cruisers as hilarious as Massive Boat Full Of Every Gun?

johnsonrod
Oct 25, 2004

drat, I'm really liking the Phoenix now that it's fully upgraded and has a decent Captain.

So far I'm definitely liking Cruisers and Destroyers a lot more than the BB's. After zipping around the map in a Wakatake, it's just too painful to hop back in a gigantic slow BB.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

johnsonrod posted:

drat, I'm really liking the Phoenix now that it's fully upgraded and has a decent Captain.

It still can't turn for poo poo, but coming from the St. Louis, that's not a huge knock. It's longer, but it's also thinner, which makes threading the needle between torpedo spreads much easier.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

psy.Che posted:

In addittion to what hazdoc has said, your gameplan when fighting a BB one-on-one is simple: Go straight at him, jink jsut a little when he fires and take the salvo with your angled bow. en you can firea salvo or two with 4-5 guns before turning back to eat his next salvo with your angled bow. All the while, you're coming at him at full steam. Once you reach him, just steam straight past him as close as you dare (you want to outrun his turret rotation!) and drop the torps on narrow spread from point blank. I've freakin' overrun broadsided Wyomings and New Mexicos with that stunt.

Fire HE at battleships and AP at cruisers. Learn to citadel and you can actually rough up Us cruisers pretty well. Evne the St. Louis can be citadel-penned by our 8-inchers and will be seriously hurting if you pull it off with any kind of consistency.

Oh, and get the first hull upgrade and gun upgrade ASAP, they're a huge improvement over the stock modules.

Night10194 posted:

IJN cruisers do not like getting stuck in gunfights with a St. Louis full of AP at 4km or less.

Are later US Cruisers as hilarious as Massive Boat Full Of Every Gun?

Cleveland sure is given she has half again he primary broadside of the St.Louis and 6-8 5-inchers in terms of secondaries depending on angle. While being tougher, half again as fast, longer-ranged and having good AA.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD
Honestly all the US cruisers are pretty good at spamming poo poo at people. The St Louis and the Cleveland are just two that stand out in particular, but the Phoenix and Omaha can spew some HE as well.

Also, holy poo poo. So... the Myogi. After playing the Wyoming for a couple of hours, the Myogi feels incredibly fast and incredibly BAD. I've been averaging about 5 citadels a match in my Wyoming, but I barely broke 1 in the couple of Myogi matches I played. Sure I can shoot a hell of a lot further and get places sooner, but I'll be damned if I can ever get the range on enemies right. Ranging on the Wyoming is super straightforward and only gets wonky when my opponents break 35 knots, but I can't nail down the aiming on the Myogi at all. Have less guns doesn't help, either. At this point, I heavily prefer the US BBs.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I think I'm going to like the Tenryu. It can kill Destroyers real dead with HE and the guns aren't terrible, while it's almost as fast as a destroyer and can still play a convincing game of Torpedo rear end in a top hat.

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

Well this happened :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
Spot the mistake!