Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Are summoners actually good? There was zero summoning stuff in the game before I played. They seem like a really weird class for a game like this. Something that would be extremely tedious to use against normal enemies while exploring with most summons at least. Then horribly broken once you get the top tier gear and don't have to do anything while your space dragon eats everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

There is no God but Space Dragon.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Anyone able to end up getting terraria working on Mac?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Tenebrais posted:

NPCs can and do go up stairs. I'm not sure what exactly that patch note was referring to.

I watched my NPCs in my three-level base with nine-high ceilings/stairs for a while and I don't think so. They start climbing the stairs but they always fall off halfway up.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Pretty sure it should be yep to the first as well. Melee damage gear works on anything that says "melee damage" in its description, whether it's a sword that shoots lasers, a vampiric throwing knife, a yoyo, or anything else.

Sorry misread, thought he was asking about ranged buffs to the projectiles.

Internet Kraken posted:

Are summoners actually good? There was zero summoning stuff in the game before I played. They seem like a really weird class for a game like this. Something that would be extremely tedious to use against normal enemies while exploring with most summons at least. Then horribly broken once you get the top tier gear and don't have to do anything while your space dragon eats everything.

I've been watching yrimir's videos and his summoner playthrough highlights that this is the case (to get anywhere he has to count the crimson rainclouds as summons). And to begin he has to hunt down a slime statue to get the 1/10000 drop baby slime staff. They can't be your exclusive style,though they can certainly help watch your back in mass attacks.

Though it's starting to get pushed a little more it's going to need a lot to have a complete progression curve. I hope the granite, marble, and underground desert will eventually have drops for the summoner class, it would add some good incentives to visiting them.

Monowhatever
Mar 19, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

the new summoning staffs last until you die so there's no real reason not to use one along with your normal weapon and a lot of them are pretty cool looking!

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Now that NPCs can fight it'd be cool if they used nearby cannons/snowball cannons/bunny cannons too.

EDIT: It's weird that there's STILL no manual pause button.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jul 7, 2015

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

RatHat posted:

Now that NPCs can fight it'd be cool if they used nearby cannons/snowball cannons/bunny cannons too.

EDIT: It's weird that there's STILL no manual pause button.

You can turn autopause on in the options. It only works in single player though.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

SirSamVimes posted:

Wall of Flesh: Considerably easier than expected. Actually the easiest Expert boss I've faced so far.

Nuebot posted:

I didn't even notice if it did anything new.

When it's nearly dead (like <5% hp) it speeds way the gently caress up and can outrun you even if you have hermes boots at full speed.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Senor Candle posted:

You can turn autopause on in the options. It only works in single player though.

Yeah but then you can't use items from the inventory. I find I turn autopause on when going out to fight, and off when at home crafting. It's annoying.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

RatHat posted:

Yeah but then you can't use items from the inventory. I find I turn autopause on when going out to fight, and off when at home crafting. It's annoying.

I don't really know why you'd expect to be able to do that.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Is there any way to get light pets like the fairy bell or wisp in a bottle back after dismissing them by right clicking the buff? Unequipping and reequipping them doesn't work, neither does relogging.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

The Moon Monster posted:

Is there any way to get light pets like the fairy bell or wisp in a bottle back after dismissing them by right clicking the buff? Unequipping and reequipping them doesn't work, neither does relogging.

Pick it up and left-click with it like you're eating a life heart or something.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

The Moon Monster posted:

President Ark posted:

Don't forget you can put that stuff in your equipment tab! I think if you click the eye icon on the slot it's in it turns it on and off. Alternatively dragging onto the regular part of the screen and using it works too!

Mondlicht
Oct 13, 2011

if history could set you free
How do I get my guide to move into my new house? It's not set as my "home" yet because I don't have a bed.. when I set it as my spawn will he make his way over to me? Right now he's just kind of hanging out in a ditch.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

President Ark posted:

Ah, thanks.

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost

Mondlicht posted:

How do I get my guide to move into my new house? It's not set as my "home" yet because I don't have a bed.. when I set it as my spawn will he make his way over to me? Right now he's just kind of hanging out in a ditch.

Open up your inventory and click the little house icon just above your equipment pane. That will switch your equipment pane over to the housing pane, which lets you assign or clear rooms as well as checking to see if a room is suitable for an NPC to live in. There are like 22 total so get to building!

Ixjuvin fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jul 7, 2015

LightningSquid
Dec 27, 2013
Is there anyway to exchange items with other players ingame? Because I just got a second Crimson Key from my farm and I'd love to swap it for a Frost Key. (I also have a spare Jungle Key somewhere.)

EDIT: Man my luck is crazy, I just got a Corruption key while I was farming my alternate world for Vitamins and Blindfolds. Did they lower the rates from 1/2500?

LightningSquid fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jul 7, 2015

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

LightningSquid posted:

Is there anyway to exchange items with other players ingame? Because I just got a second Crimson Key from my farm and I'd love to swap it for a Frost Key. (I also have a spare Jungle Key somewhere.)

You can if you join the same server. Then just drop your item on the ground and they can pick it up (or just chuck it at them :v:) - select the item out of your inventory and just right click it anywhere outside of your inventory to drop it or hit the drop hotkey (I forget what the default key is because I basically never want to hit that hotkey)

Tenbux McGee
Jun 23, 2005
I had :tenbux:
I had an awful lot of trouble with the Eye of Cthulhu on expert.. and then effortlessly wiped the floor with the Eater of Worlds and Skeletron. The Eye's "gently caress YOU I'M FAST NOW" attack can eat a dick. Hitting him at that point was a pain in the rear end, even with meteor armor and a space gun.
Even the queen bee was harder than Skeletron. Demon scything his arms off and killing the head with the minishark didn't seem to play out any differently than my old Skeletron battles.
I have now fallen in love with the bone throwing glove I just got from that fight.

dabre_aiamim
Oct 23, 2008
Lipstick Apathy

WHAT A GOOD DOG posted:

Anyone able to end up getting terraria working on Mac?

This thread on reddit ended up working for me, which is tiding me over until the native client is released later this month.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Is there a limit to how much water can be in a world? Or could you use the bottomless water bucket to completely fill a map with water?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Senor Candle posted:

I don't really know why you'd expect to be able to do that.

Having autopause off lets you do things like place blocks or furniture from your inventory, without having to move them to your hotbar first. You can also use staffs, potions, etc from your inventory, so the summoning staff that you use once every time you die isn't taking up a valuable hotkey.

e:

RatHat posted:

Is there a limit to how much water can be in a world? Or could you use the bottomless water bucket to completely fill a map with water?

I think there's no limit. I'm pretty sure I remember using an infinite water duplication glitch to fill up a friend's world before.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Having autopause off lets you do things like place blocks or furniture from your inventory, without having to move them to your hotbar first. You can also use staffs, potions, etc from your inventory, so the summoning staff that you use once every time you die isn't taking up a valuable hotkey.

e:

I think there's no limit. I'm pretty sure I remember using an infinite water duplication glitch to fill up a friend's world before.

Ohhhh I misunderstood what their post.

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

Internet Kraken posted:

On base chat; you guys who say you're terrible at building pretty bases? I want one of you to take that theme and run with it. Make your base a hideous, ugly pile of junk. All sorts of blocks mashed together into massive heaps. Literal trash prisons the NPCs are forced to live inside. Decorations clashing together in hideous and nonsensical ways. Make a base so hideous that it wraps around into being beautiful.

Some members of [GOON] and I have started up an expert mode server on a large world with new characters. This is our base so far:

It's been a bit of a bloodbath.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Somehow I've never thought of making a graveyard.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
That was my little brothers first thought upon realizing he left gravestones. He may have given up though when he realized just how much he's going to die because he's bad/EXTREMELY unlucky. We've both been spelunking separately and I have found enough health crystals to reach 260. He's still at 100.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
I have a sprawling graveyard full of headstones and angel, cross, armour, and reaper statues. It looks pretty boss. Gonna have to transplant it to my flying doom fortress.

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Can you craft bars back into ore somehow?

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Found a spider cave, and my lifeform analyzer says that a Webbed Stylist is nearby. Only I can never find her no matter how much I move around. Is there some trick to finding her? Not clear to me if she's a drop or attached to a wall or what.

If only the thing would give a direction as well as distance...

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Heh, I just a few minutes ago created a new Large world in my endless quest for a lava charm, and while tunneling straight down ran right into the Stylist.

She should be sitting on a floor somewhere in the spider cave. Might be on the other side of a wall, if you haven't thoroughly explored around the (apparent) edges of it yet.

LightningSquid
Dec 27, 2013
Whyyy isn't there a spawn item for Plantera? It's the only thing about this game that actually makes me furious. I can even take the Medusas.

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

i beat the mech bosses with this and im going to beat plantera with it melee is good now

President Ark
May 16, 2010

LightningSquid posted:

Whyyy isn't there a spawn item for Plantera? It's the only thing about this game that actually makes me furious. I can even take the Medusas.

Because the thing that spawns it can appear anywhere in the jungle and there isn't a limited supply of them?

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

President Ark posted:

Because the thing that spawns it can appear anywhere in the jungle and there isn't a limited supply of them?

if there was a spawn item, I could spawn plantera asap before the corruption gets even a tick of spread in

but no, gotta wait for - and find - the loving bulb

Excelzior fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Jul 8, 2015

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Senor Candle posted:

Don't forget you can put that stuff in your equipment tab! I think if you click the eye icon on the slot it's in it turns it on and off. Alternatively dragging onto the regular part of the screen and using it works too!

to add to this i just found out you can dye equipment in your equipment tab. adding flame dye to the vine hook makes it all autumny ~

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Excelzior posted:

if there was a spawn item, I could spawn plantera asap before the corruption gets even a tick of spread in

but no, gotta wait for - and find - the loving bulb

If you've killed the mech bosses then A) corruption spread has slowed down, and B) chlorophyte ore has spawned, which converts corrupt dirt back into mud and re-jungles it.

Seriously I don't understand where people got the idea that the corruption will just burn right through their jungle and make it impossible to progress if they don't rush right through everything. It takes ages for it to convert a single tile just because the odds of it getting the jungle grass off the mud and turning the mud into dirt before the jungle grass grows over it again are so low.

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

minecraft gave them autism

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

President Ark posted:

If you've killed the mech bosses then A) corruption spread has slowed down, and B) chlorophyte ore has spawned, which converts corrupt dirt back into mud and re-jungles it.

Seriously I don't understand where people got the idea that the corruption will just burn right through their jungle and make it impossible to progress if they don't rush right through everything. It takes ages for it to convert a single tile just because the odds of it getting the jungle grass off the mud and turning the mud into dirt before the jungle grass grows over it again are so low.

Probably stray memories of how fast corruption spread at the start of 1.1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

AFAIK only Plantera does anything since 1.2.0.3 - unless you're telling me they changed it back sometimes later?

from the relevant patch note :

Hardmode Crimson, Corruption, and Hallow spread is now slowed after killing Plantera instead of any Mechanical Boss