Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

ilkhan posted:

The few times I need to use an iOS keyboard is want to throw it against the wall. How do you use a keyboard that always displays caps instead of what its going to type?

That drives me bananas

Tunga posted:

My Nexus 5 is acting like I'm holding the power button down on occasion, always after I have pressed the power button. It doesn't happen every time, maybe one in ten or twenty, but it's annoying because if I don't notice it my phone will reboot. There is no physical indication that this is happening, the button still clicks in/out as normal. Pressing it again will usually "unlock" it but sometimes it takes a few presses.

Is this likely to be a hardware problem that I could fix by opening it up and doing something?

This is a known hardware flaw on the N5 and it's not something easy to repair or get at even if you open it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

LastInLine posted:

This is a known hardware flaw on the N5 and it's not something easy to repair or get at even if you open it up.

A couple months back, my N5 started going apeshit, rebooting itself. I was a little scared that it was dying, as I use it pretty extensively for work.

There was basically a tiny hair wedged in the power button; I didn't need to even take the case off or anything, as I was able to just grab it with tweezers. That was somehow enough to gently caress with the power button.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

I put in for warranty advance exchange of my Nexus 6 since it wasn't rotating. It should get here tomorrow.

I dropped it this morning. It rotates. :negative:

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Does anyone have a recommendation for a decent wall charger? I've got a S5 and Tab S. I don't need one of those 5-port ones or anything, just a single port. I'm currently travelling with a 10-year old Blackberry wall charger which is slow as piss but at least reliable (Blackberry sure knew how to make a great charger).

The 3rd party market looks like a mess. Lot of cheap knockoffs masquerading as brand names that I can't figure out what is what. Just looking for something to get me 1000mA that won't start a fire. This search has been much harder than I imagined.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Anything by Anker is a solid choice. Like this Turbo Charger for when you upgrade.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

DemonMage posted:

Anything by Anker is a solid choice. Like this Turbo Charger for when you upgrade.

Thanks! Will Quick Charge be standard on most phones going forward? I was eyeing these because they seem cheaper and I didn't need the Quick Charge yet.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00WHTW4QK/

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

Niwrad posted:

Thanks! Will Quick Charge be standard on most phones going forward? I was eyeing these because they seem cheaper and I didn't need the Quick Charge yet.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00WHTW4QK/

I'd go for the two port like this. Otherwise that's good. The Wirecutter has a few suggestions but some are out of stock.

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007

galahan posted:

Adblock isn't just for websites either. I've adblocked and untracked myself from practically everything at one point.

YouTube/ lastfm on my phone is about the coolest one right now

Can you tell me how you did this, please? I have AdAway installed on my phone but I still get ads on Youtube. What did you do if you don't mind me asking?

galahan posted:

Also YouTube background playback lets me play music without sucking 1+% battery every 20 min or less due to the screen being on.

OK this I definitely need to know as well. The last program that worked was PVStar and that stopped working a long time ago. Even trying to Google it I just get posts from 2013 recommending PVStar, or people saying there's no way to do it. Please share your secrets.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Yeah, USB is finicky on my N6 too. Doesn't feel solid.

I've got a mediabridge USB cable and it fits super solid in my n6.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Melmac posted:

Can you tell me how you did this, please? I have AdAway installed on my phone but I still get ads on Youtube. What did you do if you don't mind me asking?

OK this I definitely need to know as well. The last program that worked was PVStar and that stopped working a long time ago. Even trying to Google it I just get posts from 2013 recommending PVStar, or people saying there's no way to do it. Please share your secrets.

Probably paying for YouTube Music Key/Google Play All Access.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

FordPRefectLL posted:

I use Fleksy. It's a little awkward at first but when I switched to it from SwiftKey I never looked back.

Skarsnik posted:

Fleksy here too

You can be wonderfully lazy with it and it always seems to figure it out. The swiping gestures to do stuff took a while to get used to, but now I don't even realise I'm doing it half the time

Commas were always a pain taking about 3 swipes to do , but now you can have a dedicated button for it that's my one complaint gone

Fleksy is now Free.

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007

Oh, ok. Thanks anyway. galahan's post made it sound like a case for rooting a phone so I thought maybe it was just some clever root-only hack.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Finally I can get the frozen theme I've been dreaming of but just haven't been able to afford

E: aw its not an $8 voucher, just a thing that is worth $8

No frozen theme for me, sigh..

Skarsnik fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Jul 8, 2015

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

withoutclass posted:

I've got a mediabridge USB cable and it fits super solid in my n6.

Eeesh, $5 a cable hits me right in the feels but if that is what it takes to have a better feeling connection I guess I'm stuck.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

Skarsnik posted:

Finally I can get the frozen theme I've been dreaming of but just haven't been able to afford

I already purchased Fleksy, and I don't get any free stuff. Google Opinion Rewards wasted! :argh:

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I got it when I updated a minute ago

I have a choice of 10 absolutely hideous themes now :toot:

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

ilkhan posted:

This.
The few times I need to use an iOS keyboard is want to throw it against the wall. How do you use a keyboard that always displays caps instead of what its going to type?

I think I read that in iOS9 they are finally having the keyboard properly reflect uppercase/lowercase.

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Eeesh, $5 a cable hits me right in the feels but if that is what it takes to have a better feeling connection I guess I'm stuck.

I had what I thought was a dodgy port on my Nexus 4, and it now works perfectly after buying a $5 cable. Do eet.

E: After trying tens of cables I had lying around.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

ilkhan posted:

This.

Pretty easily. You get used to it super fast and instead of looking at the case of the letter you're tapping you just grow accustomed to looking at the shift key. It's a really minor thing. Now content sharing between apps being completely hamstrung? That's something that is actually terrible.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Fleksy was all caps for long time, and I was never fussed to be honest

It has the option for case sensitive display now but I've never bothered enabling it

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

My work Blackberry's keyboard is all caps and doesn't change when I hit shift and it drives me loving insane.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

CLAM DOWN posted:

My work Blackberry's keyboard is all caps and doesn't change when I hit shift and it drives me loving insane.

Typing in passwords when the keyboard doesn't show proper case :emo:

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

RVProfootballer posted:

Typing in passwords when the keyboard doesn't show proper case :emo:

We somehow managed it for 20 years before Android came around, I'm sure we'll continue to struggle along.

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh
^^ typing on a tiny touchscreen and a full size physical keyboard share little in common.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I know, right? I had to connect a tablet to my computer to use since these lovely hard keyboards don't change cases when I hit shift or caps lock!

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

uPen posted:

We somehow managed it for 20 years before Android came around, I'm sure we'll continue to struggle along.

Endless Mike posted:

I know, right? I had to connect a tablet to my computer to use since these lovely hard keyboards don't change cases when I hit shift or caps lock!

Since I only rarely use an iPad or iPhone, I have no idea whether a filled up arrow means it is upper case or lower case. I know that holding shift will make an upper case letter when I'm typing on a computer. Pressing the shift button on a software keyboard with autocorrection is ambiguous; it depends whether it is the start of a text box or not, after punctuation, in a password-type box that doesn't apply any autocorrection, etc. Signaling the case of the letter you're about to type is trivial on a software keyboard and removes that ambiguity or needing to look somewhere else on the keyboard to see. I know you don't actually think an always upper case software keyboard is better, but it's funny that you even felt the need to pretend otherwise, haha.

sourdough fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jul 8, 2015

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

RVProfootballer posted:

Since I only rarely use an iPad or iPhone, I have no idea whether a filled up arrow means it is upper case or lower case. I know that holding shift will make an upper case letter when I'm typing on a computer. Pressing the shift button on a software keyboard with autocorrection is ambiguous; it depends whether it is the start of a text box or not, after punctuation, in a password-type box that doesn't apply any autocorrection, etc. Signaling the case of the letter you're about to type is trivial on a software keyboard and removes that ambiguity or needing to look somewhere else on the keyboard to see. I know you don't actually think an all upper case keyboard is better, but it's funny that you even felt the need to pretend otherwise, haha.

It's also hardly a debilitating feature to be missing. Sure, great to have, but I wouldn't consider it a deal breaker in any universe. You use the keyboard for a minute to realize the shift key is an indicator and you move on.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

MrBond posted:

It's also hardly a debilitating feature to be missing. Sure, great to have, but I wouldn't consider it a deal breaker in any universe. You use the keyboard for a minute to realize the shift key is an indicator and you move on.

I absolutely think it's a dealbreaker and hate typing anything on my Blackberry because of it. It's my favourite thing about the Google keyboard probably in comparison.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
Is the 32GB Fire Phone for $165 a good deal? My Nexus 4's screen is broken and it'd be nice to have a replacement while I wait for the Nexus 5.2 or 2015 Moto X to come out.

I know the Fire Phone was terrible when it came out at $649, but apparently you can put the Google Play Store and Services on now, and a lot of the reviewers' complaints stemmed from not having that (and the price).

Edit: apparently there's a beta of Cyanogenmod 11 available for it as of July 4.

SB35 posted:

Did they learn nothing from the flop of the fire phone? Hope they sell unlocked too.
"Learn" is not in RIM's vocabulary.

atomicthumbs fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jul 8, 2015

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

MrBond posted:

Oh yeah, hah. I didn't mean to imply it was any kind of deal breaker, sorry if you read it as such. It's an easy change that makes typing easier on a software keyboard, that's all.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

atomicthumbs posted:

In fairness, that's an extremely ignorant and incorrect thing to say when you look at what their upcoming "Venice" phone is apparently going to be: http://www.phonearena.com/news/BlackBerry-Venice-slider-could-launch-in-November-with-QHD-display-Snapdragon-808-chipset_id70558

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

atomicthumbs posted:

Is the 32GB Fire Phone for $165 a good deal? My Nexus 4's screen is broken and it'd be nice to have a replacement while I wait for the Nexus 5.2 or 2015 Moto X to come out.

I know the Fire Phone was terrible when it came out at $649, but apparently you can put the Google Play Store and Services on now, and a lot of the reviewers' complaints stemmed from not having that (and the price).

Edit: apparently there's a beta of Cyanogenmod 11 available for it as of July 4.

Stuff like having to worry about Play Services updating and breaking compatibility is not something you should have to worry about with your phone. Given CM's quality on devices that it has been developed for for years, do you really want to be using a 4 day old beta release on a really locked down phone? Buy a Moto E or G or 2013 Moto X or used Nexus 5 or basically any phone that is actually supposed to be used with Google services.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

atomicthumbs posted:

Is the 32GB Fire Phone for $165 a good deal?

No, that's still too much.

There are affordable Android phones you'll actually enjoy using, and the Fire Phone is not on that list.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

atomicthumbs posted:

I've said it before, but my work purchased a fire phone, and I have used it extensively. $159 is still too much. It is a phone exclusively designed for watching/listening stuff from Amazon, nothing more. That's fine for a tablet, bad for a phone.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

CLAM DOWN posted:

In fairness, that's an extremely ignorant and incorrect thing to say when you look at what their upcoming "Venice" phone is apparently going to be: http://www.phonearena.com/news/BlackBerry-Venice-slider-could-launch-in-November-with-QHD-display-Snapdragon-808-chipset_id70558

Grumpwagon posted:

I've said it before, but my work purchased a fire phone, and I have used it extensively. $159 is still too much. It is a phone exclusively designed for watching/listening stuff from Amazon, nothing more. That's fine for a tablet, bad for a phone.

I forgot to mention: apparently it comes with a year of Amazon Prime, too (which usually costs $99).

atomicthumbs fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jul 8, 2015

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

atomicthumbs posted:

I forgot to mention: apparently it comes with a year of Amazon Prime, too (which usually costs $99).

I personally still wouldn't buy it even at $60, but I'm willing to concede that at that point maybe it would be worth it for someone who isn't me.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I didn't mention the Passport, which is terrible. Please click the link I put in my post instead of being a poo poo disturber, god bless.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Legit excited about the Venice

Physical keyboard and Google Play Services :swoon:

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

MC Hawking fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jul 20, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
5.4" phone that then kicks out a physical keyboard? Will be a PITA to keep a hold of.