Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
That was... ugly, welcome to Cyberdisks I guess?

Nice job recovering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Doesn't one of the Australian voice packs say "Clever girl" when he gets flanked?

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark

FairGame posted:

Doesn't one of the Australian voice packs say "Clever girl" when he gets flanked?

Yes :). I think its the same voice pack with my most favorite kill line, 'Welcome to Earth, mate!'. That's CongoJack's voicepack.

e: Or is it? Hell, I don't know anything.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Well poo poo. That's cyberdisks + anything else for you. Team really got let down by the RNG, rest in peace my fellow soldiers.

edit: Holy poo poo Kidneyman with the Phineas and Ferb callout. I was way too old when I first saw that show and I enjoyed it way more then I should have. Such a silly show.

Evil Kit fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Jul 7, 2015

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby
drat man, :xcom: as gently caress :/

RIP in peace, Cyberdisk victims

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

ProfessorBooty posted:

Unfortunately we lost the war of attrition and that's XCOM.
Seems like it would be very handy to have a pool of mostly-interchangeable generalist engineers (something like 75% sapper, 100% smoke&mirrors, 66% suppression, 50% scanner) and bring ~2 on every mission to cut down on everyone getting blown up all the time.

That would require buying more rookies meat decoys and feeding low-damage classes easy XP, without filling their utility slots with damage/aim boosting items... but having two sappers means they can tag-team for exposing/softening and getting the kill.

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
God, the repair system is so garbage. You already lost troops and have more in the medbay for a month. To lose their armor and weapons for another few days on top of that is just complete bullshit.

Riobs
Oct 30, 2011

Oh drat, those cyberdisk misses. Poor dead soldiers, you will be missed.

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark

silentsnack posted:

Seems like it would be very handy to have a pool of mostly-interchangeable generalist engineers (something like 75% sapper, 100% smoke&mirrors, 66% suppression, 50% scanner) and bring ~2 on every mission to cut down on everyone getting blown up all the time.

That would require buying more rookies meat decoys and feeding low-damage classes easy XP, without filling their utility slots with damage/aim boosting items... but having two sappers means they can tag-team for exposing/softening and getting the kill.

This isn't a bad idea. I think I'm going to be forced to make all of my support classes into medics for a while though. I've been thinking pretty hard about the future for my support engineers, but making a support-hybrid might be the ticket. We have 3 sapper and 3 support engineers. After we make medics (that survive past Lance Corporal :v:) we will likely see some hybrids in the future.

In general we're not doing that bad, the losses on this mission weren't terrible, and the strategic game is going surprisingly well. I suppose I have the benefit of knowing what's happening five missions from now. XCOM right now is a freight train, slow to start.

And with hindsight, we can say that this just wasn't the best squad to take. Kaboom Dragoon was out of his league. Taking Free Range or Road Rage would have changed the 90% chance of resisting panic (which we failed twice) into a 100%. Taking Juicebox over Perkele would have given us holotargeting, and more battlescanners. We could have brought Daffy to supply heat. The squad dynamics were poor, not really the soldiers or the RNG, really.

e: And who said the sawed off shotgun wasn't very good? Oh wait, that was me :doh:

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Welp, glad my turn to be rookie didn't quite roll around yet. Although I expect we'll be seeing more (and improved) hell-frisbees in the future for me to run face first into and die.

legoman727 posted:

God, the repair system is so garbage. You already lost troops and have more in the medbay for a month. To lose their armor and weapons for another few days on top of that is just complete bullshit.

LW has a general ethos of "punish failure with increased difficulty". I guess it was kind of there in original XCOM too: losing soldiers means you go into future missions with a worse roster, bad tactics net you less meld which means worse equipment later, etc. But they've definitely ramped it up a notch or ten. Still, I find repairs to be the least annoying of a lot of mechanics. It makes sense, barely affects most things, and mainly makes tense double- or triple-header mission series more tense, which I kind of like. It gives that desperate sense of an underfunded program struggling to make do.

Colonel Corazon
Feb 12, 2011

A faction armed to the teeth hardly seems friendly to me.

Holy poo poo that went south fast. Nice recovery though! It's great listening to you two work through such lovely situations. I probably woulda squad wiped in that mission.

Pollyzoid
Nov 2, 2010

GRUUAGH you say?
Yeah, I'm really enjoying the tactics chat as well. I'm pretty much completely new to XCOM games so it's helpful to hear your thoughts.

FailAtMagic
Apr 11, 2011

ProfessorBooty posted:

Yeah. Sounds like the guy did his recording in a glass jar. I'm going to do some roster maintenance this week and one of the things I'll do is change some of the voices.

We didn't lose anybody extremely important, at least.

Yes maybe finally my chance to get horribly murdered, help save the world from the alien menace.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?
All I want to have happen is that I miss a routine 95% shot as the last action that ends with me getting killed. I want to die in the most :xcom: way possible.

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark

Yami Fenrir posted:

All I want to have happen is that I miss a routine 95% shot as the last action that ends with me getting killed. I want to die in the most :xcom: way possible.

Nah. That would be to hit the 95% shot, and not do enough damage.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

ProfessorBooty posted:

After we make medics (that survive past Lance Corporal :v:) we will likely see some hybrids in the future.

For getting more of any particular class, assuming you aren't still(?) using the previously-mentioned Commander's Choice option, how worthwhile would it be to bring along one (and only one) noob on any given mission where you can expect reasonably favorable conditions? ...except those times when the map descriptions are inconsistent and/or disingenuous. How does "urban with one or more small structures" really apply to a buttload of disconnected train segments? At least it's easy to tell the difference between an abduction site and a battleship. :suicide:

Yami Fenrir posted:

Would having a rocket misfire to destroy a wall that activates multiple clusters of high-tier enemies (which wipe the squad next turn) be :xcom: enough?

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

silentsnack posted:

For getting more of any particular class, assuming you aren't still(?) using the previously-mentioned Commander's Choice option, how worthwhile would it be to bring along one (and only one) noob on any given mission where you can expect reasonably favorable conditions? ...except those times when the map descriptions are inconsistent and/or disingenuous. How does "urban with one or more small structures" really apply to a buttload of disconnected train segments? At least it's easy to tell the difference between an abduction site and a battleship. :suicide:

Would having a rocket misfire to destroy a wall that activates multiple clusters of high-tier enemies (which wipe the squad next turn) be :xcom: enough?

That is satisfactory levels of :xcom:, yes.

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark

silentsnack posted:

For getting more of any particular class, assuming you aren't still(?) using the previously-mentioned Commander's Choice option, how worthwhile would it be to bring along one (and only one) noob on any given mission where you can expect reasonably favorable conditions?

That's the plan for squad size 2 (with minor exceptions)! :)

quote:

You just discovered the reason I don't bring low level rocketeers and avoid HE grenades on terror missions, almost to the letter (only wiped half the squad).

Talow
Dec 26, 2012

So that went poorly. congratulations on stopping it from spiraling into a squad wipe though, and hope the next mission goes better.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

I honestly have to agree with pretty much everyone in how impressive it was you turned a potential full squad wipe into only losing 2 people. You're drat good at this game Booty, and with Kidneyman to back you up and keep tally you two are a force to be reckoned with.

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
Glad to be the only person to not get maimed in that mission. :sicknasty:

ChaosDragon
Jul 13, 2014
Well aleast we won

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark

ChaosDragon posted:

Well aleast we won

you're the best, Chaos :)

FraudulentEconomics
Oct 14, 2007

Pst...
Reading the comments prior to watching, I was expecting much more blood (though 4/5 injured out of 5 survivors is pretty bloody) but that wasn't half bad.

I'm going to amend my soldier (if possible!) and he can be a scout, engineer, or medic.

General Antares
Sep 5, 2011

There be corundium up in them thar asteroids!!!
I was wondering when this would happen, I mean even if you had had a better squad comp, those floaters still would have nailed you a few times resulting in long lasting plasma burns vacation time. The RNG sometimes just decides that you're a big meanie-head for fighting those wonderful E.T.s and goes NOPE to everything you do for a turn or two.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

gently caress Thinmen. gently caress Floaters. Godspeed dead buddies.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

ProfessorBooty posted:

Yes :). I think its the same voice pack with my most favorite kill line, 'Welcome to Earth, mate!'. That's CongoJack's voicepack.

e: Or is it? Hell, I don't know anything.

I wish my character was male just for that line.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Long War is a real meat grinder over vanilla. I had the rare situation today where there simply wasn't enough dudes to fill out a full mission because everyone was wounded or fatigued.

Remember, for every piece of meat rookie you lose, its a good idea to buy 2 as replacements. I'd honestly say this new patch is about having a whole lot of real good dudes on staff - not necessarily just one A team, but a host of dudes who if put together would work well as an A team.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

I had a mission today where things seemed to going pretty good (my SHIV blew up, but that what they're for), when the very last floater, managed to blast a poor rookie to death behind full cover. I realized how jaded I've become when my first thought was - "good thing he was a rookie"

ModeWondershot
Dec 30, 2014

Portu-geezer
Aw man, I'm going to miss Jimmy and Masam.

I'll take a minute to spray-paint their names onto my missiles so that the aliens don't forget them either.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Sounds like my turn may be coming up and will possibly be a brutal meat-grinder of rookie sacrifices. :ohdear:

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Having read the comments before watching the video, I was expecting a higher rate of casualties and was cringing each time the aliens took a shot. Nice recovery from that clusterfuck of aliens.

I've noticed that losing 2 guys is rated as "Acceptable". Can you finish the campaign with that rate of casualties in each mission?

EggsAisle
Dec 17, 2013

I get it! You're, uh...
(remarks from Lt. "Free Range" EggsAisle in a conversation with XCOM personnel witnessing the dead and wounded being moved from the Skyranger) -

"It's the smell. That's how you know things went pear-shaped, when they lower the ramp and all you can smell is... ugh, that's it, right there. Someone got cooked. Maybe a couple someones. Gah, it's making my eyes water! I think this is what hell must smell like. Charred human flesh."

<reply not recorded>

"No idea. Here come the medics. And a whole lot of stretchers. Uh-oh..."

<question not recorded>

"Maybe. They sure look grim, so they're not expecting good news. (a few minutes later ) Oh no... what happened out there? That's three, no four, wounded... at least the scout's not hurt. Guess they're working on the others."

<question not recorded>

"Those are the doctors coming out. And they're not in a hurry. Which means... poo poo. KIAs. "

<comment not recorded>

"Let's hope so. <sighs> But they knew the risks. All of us do. If we don't fight, then the E.T.'s take the fight to our homes. Like at Port Said. That's the future they have planned for us."

<comment not recorded>

"Oh, they bleed and die like anyone else, believe me. If I have my way, they'll be doing a lot more of both until either the war ends or they finally put me in one of those body bags. But I'm sure Command will want to debrief, so I need to get moving. Take good care of yourselves, gentlemen."

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
Excited for the rookie mission! Maybe I'll get in on this one?

I said previously that I'd take anything, but if either Ireland or Israeli are options, I wouldn't mind that.

Zaark
Oct 26, 2007
Man that repair screen just adds insult to injury doesn't it? Good job salvaging that mission, you've had a string of tough ones lately. Good luck to our next batch of rookies!

Professor Malice
Nov 16, 2011
I see cyberdisks are as nasty as ever. In my first vanilla playthrough I lost more soldiers to robotic enemies than all other enemies combined.

Also hope I'm not too far down the rookie list.

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
Just binged on all your videos. I love that someone else has my poo poo luck when it comes to RNG, it seems like the first series ever that does. I also really like your editing with the big map and moving markers. Almost expect you to start scribbling stuff in real time.

I would have just reloaded and re-recorded after that last video though. I wouldn't be able to take that bullshit the game gave you.

If you need another name for the grinder, I'll volunteer! I don't know anything about long war and haven't even played enemy within though so all these new classes are a mystery to me. So I have no preference anywhere.

Question though: Do interceptors get better as they get more kills in long war? Or are you feeding them purely on a whimsical basis?

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

Fat Samurai posted:

I've noticed that losing 2 guys is rated as "Acceptable". Can you finish the campaign with that rate of casualties in each mission?

Nope! Considering how long it takes to train up soldiers and the sheer number you need for Long War, losing soldiers regularly is real bad.

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Gym badge day is a VERY dangerous day!
Well, I don't think we will be getting the meld anytime soon for MEC'ing, but I would still like to volunteer to avenge my fallen comrades.
Any nationality, male, whatever voice seems entertaining at the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark

Broose posted:

Question though: Do interceptors get better as they get more kills in long war? Or are you feeding them purely on a whimsical basis?

Thanks for the kind words. I was thinking of getting some sort of screen-drawing software but I like the idea of showing the whole big map better, that and I can be really scatterbrained so I have to edit the beginning briefing pretty heavily to keep it short, so I decided that if a mission has a long-ish briefing with time before the first contact I may as well show off the whole map.

Interceptors do improve their stats in a small, but significant way with time in Long War with every kill, so its worth it to make sure you don't have one pilot with all the kills so when they get downed/are out for several days you have other guys to back them up.

• Locked thread