Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChBH0KskAIwxntKFblS3cQQ/videos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Borachon
Jun 15, 2011

Whiskey Powered

]I think you want to be careful picking the game to study; a non-trivial set of pro games turn into complicated fights based on deep, complex reading that I'm not sure would the most informative for most people (certainly not me). Maybe one of the stronger players could recommend a few games for us to study?

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

The best game is yoda nori vs chochikun. Crazy rear end game. Yoda wearing some kind of hosed up pyjamas, cho looks like a homeless person

http://youtu.be/mk2HEHY-oXE

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

The sentimental rotating intro is now my ringtone

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
i'm trying to figure out the time setting in these games. is it ten 1 minute periods, or what?

Borachon
Jun 15, 2011

Whiskey Powered

uranus posted:

i'm trying to figure out the time setting in these games. is it ten 1 minute periods, or what?

From what sensei's library says, it looks like 10 seconds per move plus 10 1-minute byo-yomi periods "for longer thinking".

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches

o.m. 94 posted:

The best game is yoda nori vs chochikun. Crazy rear end game. Yoda wearing some kind of hosed up pyjamas, cho looks like a homeless person

http://youtu.be/mk2HEHY-oXE

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

same

Legendary Ptarmigan
Sep 21, 2007

Need a light?
Could I get an invite to the OGS group (username: Ptarmigan)? I'm just starting out.

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches

Legendary Ptarmigan posted:

Could I get an invite to the OGS group (username: Ptarmigan)? I'm just starting out.
sent

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

Chikun has the best hair.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Oh god, sorry dude I timed out against on OGS on like turn 3. I have a bunch of stuff going on that is keeping me all busy, I swear I am usually better about that! :sweatdrop:

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

surc posted:

Oh god, sorry dude I timed out against on OGS on like turn 3. I have a bunch of stuff going on that is keeping me all busy, I swear I am usually better about that! :sweatdrop:

I always feel horrible when I do this. But then when it happens to me I shrug and go "cool, a win I guess?"

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

i think if you resign before turn 10 on OGS the game gets annulled anyway.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
So I just discovered this wonderful game a few days ago, and been working through the ITWTG android app. Anyone want to play against a totally new person in a few hours?

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
i can play later tonight if you want to play a handicap/teaching game. or challenge me on ogs, same username, and we can play a correspondence game

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

uranus posted:

i can play later tonight if you want to play a handicap/teaching game. or challenge me on ogs, same username, and we can play a correspondence game

ditto. I'm new enough that I will understand where you're coming from :)

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
hello friends

please learn to read ladders

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

The first one is just because he was being blind and only looked if the zigzag pattern touches white and not that black can, you know, choose other moves in the ladder. I've done that too :(

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
How does an hour and a half from now sound(9 pm MST)

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Mederlock posted:

How does an hour and a half from now sound(9 pm MST)

what server are you playing on?

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I haven't even played a single game yet, don't have anything set up. I assume KGS would be best?

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
kgs works, or online-go.com if you don't want to download anything

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

KGS is best if you can get java working - otherwise OGS is quick. Although their challenge system kind of sucks, I always seem to wait 5 minutes from "waiting for game to begin" for it to start.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

My laptop hates java, so I only use OGS now. I'm Pander there. Just get a login and you're basically ready to go. Not the greatest for random matches, but I never seem to have much trouble as a double-digit kyu.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Can I get an invite to ITGO on KGS? Can't find the SA social room

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Mederlock posted:

Can I get an invite to ITGO on KGS? Can't find the SA social room

Name?

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Wow I'm really killin it today. Mederlock

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Added, you can now join.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

I keep trying, kgs hates me and my computer. Doesn't matter the browser. Client doesn't work.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Pander posted:

I keep trying, kgs hates me and my computer. Doesn't matter the browser. Client doesn't work.

Is it a JAva issue specifically?

E: I think Ive fallen head over heels like a besotted teenager for this game after the 2 games we played tonight. Thanks for the games and commentary, it was very helpful and fun. I think I've found myself a new hobby..

Mederlock fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Jul 8, 2015

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

uranus posted:

but seriously one of you programmer folks should make a facebook go app with achievements. govangelism!

This is a pretty good idea...staying up all night to learn unity fb api, brb.

Also I just started loving around on OGS, add me or something, same username.

YagerX
Oct 30, 2012
You guys probably get asked this alot but I'm trying to get into Go and have got all the basic rules down from http://playgo.to/iwtg/en/
I'm trying to make my way through http://senseis.xmp.net/ but it's pretty easy to lose focus on what to learn next. I've also tried various AIs but get pretty lost aswell during the games, any suggestions on how to improve?

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

YagerX posted:

You guys probably get asked this alot but I'm trying to get into Go and have got all the basic rules down from http://playgo.to/iwtg/en/
I'm trying to make my way through http://senseis.xmp.net/ but it's pretty easy to lose focus on what to learn next. I've also tried various AIs but get pretty lost aswell during the games, any suggestions on how to improve?
Play. That site is going to be mostly useless for you at the moment because you don't have the basics down, the only way to start improving when you're new is to play a fuckton, lose a fuckton, and get your games reviewed.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Play more is the way to go for a while.

YagerX
Oct 30, 2012
Alright thanks, I'll get hammered on OGS then hah.

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

whoever brought me this avatar, i haven't even been trolling recently so i don't know what i did to deserve it

but it is true that like Eio i don't give much care to the opening

sensual donkey punching
Mar 13, 2004

=)
Nap Ghost
oGS sux

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Stuntman posted:

Play. That site is going to be mostly useless for you at the moment because you don't have the basics down, the only way to start improving when you're new is to play a fuckton, lose a fuckton, and get your games reviewed.

AdorableStar posted:

Play more is the way to go for a while.

this is correct but play people, not ai

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

this is incorrect