Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dux Supremus
Feb 2, 2009

Al-Saqr posted:

Can someone give me a quick and dirty on how stock market crashes like this can just magically happen out of thin air? or did a major housing bubble burst or something even happen that I missed?
The Chinese government deliberately let a bubble develop in the stock market.

The Wall Street Journal posted:

Funneling some of China’s $20 trillion in savings into stocks was a last-ditch effort to revive flagging economic growth by giving the country’s debt-laden companies a new source of financing. The aim was to trigger a slow and steady bull run, but the somnolent stock market exploded into one of the biggest bubbles in history.
Supposedly this was part of a plan to transition from exports and investment to consumption relatively painlessly. It instead burst and is probably ending in a worst-case scenario because the plan was incredibly stupid from the very start. Why it happened in the exact fashion it did exactly when it did is probably esoteric and inconsequential.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicAcne
May 25, 2014

ductonius posted:

This. This will happen. Either the CCP lays the hammer down or great indivisible China will divide into dozens of warring states. Again.

Is it really that bad? I cant imagine Syria level of destabilization happening.

Dux Supremus
Feb 2, 2009

ToxicAcne posted:

Is it really that bad? I cant imagine Syria level of destabilization happening.
Short-term, no, almost certainly not. But it will erode confidence in Beijing, and it feeds into a constellation of growing problems (debt bubble, real estate bubble, environmental degradation, wealth inequality, demographic graying, etc.) that are converging with economic slowdown. Sooner or later, something will give, and Beijing will have to do something extraordinary. This probably won't be the thing to cause it, but you can see it building from here. What he's referring to is when that time comes, in which case yeah, they'll probably start shooting people.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Al-Saqr posted:

Can someone give me a quick and dirty on how stock market crashes like this can just magically happen out of thin air? or did a major housing bubble burst or something even happen that I missed?

Stock is capital that yields rent in the form of dividends. Really it's not very different from buying land from an accounting perspective. You own the stock and get some revenue from that stock every quarter. If there was no speculation, stock prices would be entirely determined by expected future revenue. This is the price/earnings ratio people are talking about.

Speculators buy because they expect the price to change. Speculators want to buy stocks that are low but look like they're going up, and sell stocks that are high but look like they will go down. By their very nature they amplify market movements. Speculators pile into rising prices (hoping to be getting in near the bottom) and sell into falling prices (hoping to get out near the top).

I guess I should also explain how price moves in simple terms: if there are sellers who can't find a buyer, price moves down until those sellers can find a buyer. If there are buyers who can't find a seller, price moves up until those buyers can find a seller. When you have a ton of new buyers pile into a market, prices will have to rise unless there's a ton of new IPOs or stock issues to meet demand. When a bunch of people want to sell and nobody wants to buy, those sellers are going to have to lower their prices in order to get that stock off their hands. In this respect a stock market is like other markets except that stock markets tend to exhibit this sort of behavior more smoothly and reliably; stocks aren't like land where it can take years to clear inventory even at basement prices.

Surges and crashes can happen for market fundamental reasons; for example if tomorrow Intel announced that it can't find enough silicon to meet demand for chips Apple stock would tumble on the expectation that dividends on Apple stock will be smaller in the future. If they found 30 billion barrels of oil in Utah, American oil stocks would surge on the expectation of future earnings.

Surges and crashes can also happen when speculators amplify market movements too much or (in this case it seems) just create their own market movements. Since speculators naturally all want to buy low and sell high, they buy tons of shares when the market looks to be going up and panic sell when the market starts to tumble. This behavior drives price by itself: lots of buyers drives up prices and lots of sellers drives them down.

Margin trading (borrowing money against some asset to buy stock) amplifies speculative effects even further. A speculator who takes out a $60,000 loan on $20,000 of collateral can buy 3x as much stock as before and drive up prices faster. The same speculator will have to sell even more urgently when the market dips -- he loses 3x as much value when the stock goes down and has to get out with enough cash to pay back his loan. When margin traders reach the point where they must panic sell or be unable to repay their debt is a "margin call" which we heard a lot about last week.

So that's how this stock market crash happened. The government announced the prices would go up and it didn't take much more than an initial movement for people to pile their money into the market. It's hard to make money for the common man in today's China and there are few good investment options, so when the government tacitly pledged to support a bull market people bought in and people who didn't looked stupid after a 117% rise. But with the government practically encouraging speculative investment and so much margin trading that regulators cracked down on it last month the Shanghai market was always going to be volatile.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Jul 8, 2015

Let us English
Feb 21, 2004

Actual photo of Let Us English, probably seen here waking his wife up in the morning talking about chemical formulae when all she wants is a hot cup of shhhhh
What does this mean for the value of the RMB? Either against the USD or GBP?

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

ductonius posted:

This. This will happen. Either the CCP lays the hammer down or great indivisible China will divide into dozens of warring states. Again.

The last time is occurred essentially because one man (Yuan Shikai) hosed and tried to make himself emperor: then died so military power went to provincial generals with nobody at the center capable of controlling them.

The CCP will literally shoot another 40 million people before it allows that to happen again.

TheIneff
Feb 7, 2006

BEEP BOOP BEEEEEP

Typo posted:

The CCP will literally shoot another 40 million people before it allows that to happen again.

I don't get why this is a foregone conclusion.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Let us English posted:

What does this mean for the value of the RMB? Either against the USD or GBP?

GBP who knows. But the RMB is pegged to the USD (I think with a tiny tiny amount of wiggle) so unless the entire country burns to the ground it won't change. It is not impossible the entire country will burn to the ground but I doubt it.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Who will be more scared, the Chinese people when they discover the government can't control the share market or the Chinese Government when they discover they can't control the share market?

Crashrat
Apr 2, 2012
Can someone explain to me what "Macro" is tracking in the following Zerohedge image? I see it in a lot of Zerohedge posts, but this is never explicitly defined.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Could it be manufacturing PMI? GDP growth?

Has anyone got a good explanation of Umbrella trusts that a filthy gweilo like myself could understand?

another_steve
May 1, 2015

Crashrat posted:

Can someone explain to me what "Macro" is tracking in the following Zerohedge image? I see it in a lot of Zerohedge posts, but this is never explicitly defined.

Looks like a futures index...

Zero hedge does that alot - frustrating.

Crashrat
Apr 2, 2012

another_steve posted:

Looks like a futures index...

Zero hedge does that alot - frustrating.

Yes the Hushen 300 Index listed as Shanghai Composite is fairly obvious. But I have no idea what they're tracking with that Macro number at all.

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001

TheIneff posted:

I don't get why this is a foregone conclusion.

It might not have been at some times, but right now Xi Jinping and his princeling bros are in charge. They're red royalty, pretty much all the children of CCP high ups going all the way back to the revolution. They've already been amping up their propaganda in a retro THE PARTY UBER ALLES direction. It would be very surprising if they saw a serious movement towards reform fueled by economic unrest and DIDN'T take the opportunity to crack some skulls.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Al-Saqr posted:

It's not really out of thin air anymore than the dot com crash was out of thin air, or the 1929 Wall Street crash was.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Al-Saqr posted:

The same way 400 pound people suddenly keel over from heart attacks magically out of fat air

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Arglebargle III posted:

So that's how this stock market crash happened. The government announced the prices would go up and it didn't take much more than an initial movement for people to pile their money into the market. It's hard to make money for the common man in today's China and there are few good investment options, so when the government tacitly pledged to support a bull market people bought in and people who didn't looked stupid after a 117% rise. But with the government practically encouraging speculative investment and so much margin trading that regulators cracked down on it last month the Shanghai market was always going to be volatile.

Wait, isn't this how the South Seas Bubble happened?

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.

Al-Saqr posted:

A stock market bubble is inherently unstable. That's what makes it a bubble. It doesn't necesarily need anything significant to spark a crash.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Crossposted from reddit:

http://news.xinhuanet.com/finance/2015-07/08/c_127998498.htm

Xinhua posted:

ROUGH TRANSLATION

The Chinese version of SEC announced on 8th July, 2015, in order to maintain stability of the capital market, share holders, especially cornerstone share holders, major share holders who hold more than 5% of a company's stock, directors, supervisors and upper management will have to increase their share holdings to stabilize share price, to protect the interests of investors. The document "Notification to increasing stakes for major share holders, directors, supervisors and upper management of listed companies", contents as following:

From China Securities Regulatory Commission to all stock exchanges, their subordinates and related units:

In order to maintain stability of the capital market, share holders, especially cornerstone share holders, major share holders (people who hold more than 5% of a company's stock), directors, supervisors and upper management will have to increase their share holdings to stabilize share price, to protect the interests of investors. Notification as following:

All major share holders, directors, supervisors and upper management who have sold their stakes within the last 6 months, through stock brokers, fund management companies and related entities, will not be bound by claus 47 of the securities law of china. You are now not allowed to sell. gently caress you. (Claus 47 mentions that you can sell company shares within 6 months of buying)

For all listed companies which share prices have dropped over 30% the last 10 trading days, directors, supervisors and upper management will have to increase their share holding and promise not to decrease their share holding in the coming 6 months. Claus 56 in which companies will have their trading halted if they are insolvent will not be applied here. gently caress you.

For entities who have owned over 30% of said listed companies and have increased their share holdings by less than 2% of the total company shares, will not be protected by Regulations on the Takeover of Listed Companies where you can reject invitation to increase your share holdings. gently caress you.

Encourage major share holders and directors, supervisors and upper management of listed companies to stabilize their share price by buying in when the share price drops violently.

Major share holders and directors, supervisors and upper management of listed companies will have to disclose their increase in share holdings publicly according to security laws of china, Regulations on the Takeover of Listed Companies, "Administrative Measures for the Disclosure of Information of Listed Companies". gently caress you.

Do it, now. Today. gently caress you.

So I guess everything is on fire and the CCP doesn't have any good ideas.

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.

Bro Dad posted:

Crossposted from reddit:

They have been agressive as gently caress in relation to propping up the bubble, and their absolute authority will surely allow them to come up with even crazier stuff.

I hope the western world is taking notes for when there's another big crash, because China just became an uncontrolled laboratory experiment. Who knows, some of this could actually work....

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Bro Dad posted:

Crossposted from reddit:

This gets better and better. When this slide is finished, they really don't want anything left standing.

TROIKA CURES GREEK
Jun 30, 2015

by R. Guyovich

asdf32 posted:

A stock market bubble is inherently unstable. That's what makes it a bubble. It doesn't necesarily need anything significant to spark a crash.

Additionally, all bubbles are inherently unstable. It takes very little to turn a panic buy into a panic sell, a blip in China could easily ignite the Canadian Bubble crash.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

On the one hand it isn't going to work but on the other hand I strongly approve shackling the rats to the sinking ship.

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

Shifty Pony posted:

On the one hand it isn't going to work but on the other hand I strongly approve shackling the rats to the sinking ship.

The first time in ages the CCP has done something right.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Well this is interesting

quote:

Individual investors in China, as we all know by now, have used generous margin financing terms to enter the stock market and then build up their portfolios. Less-known is that Chinese companies have been doing the same thing by using their own corporate stock to secure loans from banks.

This means that they stand to lose a lot when those share prices start trending dramatically lower.

Says Nick Lawson at Deutsche Bank: "Stocks are being suspended by the companies themselves because many have bank loans backed by shares which the banks themselves may want to liquidate, joining the queues of margin sellers."

Nomura analysts added that: "Some bank loans have been extended with shares of listed companies put up as collateral."

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
If those stocks stay suspended they won't have to pay back the loan? So the CCP is basically shoveling tons of money under the other shoe to stop it from dropping, but that will only defer it unless people go crazy and start buying stock again.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
From nytimes dealbook.

quote:

The New York Stock Exchange unexpectedly shut down trading in all of its listed stocks late Wednesday morning.

A board displaying stock prices at a brokerage house in Beijing on Wednesday.Stock Sell-Off Is Unabated in ChinaJULY 8, 2015
Greece Submits New Loan Request, as Tsipras Takes Defiant StanceJULY 8, 2015
The exchange did not immediately give an explanation for what caused the shutdown. In an alert on its website it wrote: “Additional information will follow as soon as possible.”

The New York Stock Exchange, which is now owned by Intercontinental Exchange, has been hit, like other exchanges, by technical difficulties in the past, but the scale of the problem on Wednesday has little precedent.

welp, nice knowing you guys

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Sounds like CCP is in full on panic mode.

Fall Sick and Die
Nov 22, 2003
Is it paranoid to imagine the Chinese hacked the NYSE to be able to point to them shutting down trading as a reason they did it too?

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001
It was my first thought.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Twitter says the NYSE was running an upgrade last night so it's probably technical. Nothing to see here if that's the case.

im gay
Jul 20, 2013

by Lowtax
When was the last time NYSE went down?

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
It was already said before, but this is so interesting and magical to see a crash in progress and a government with essentially unlimited power do anything to stop it.

But it's all failing and everything is falling apart. :capitalism:

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Fall Sick and Die posted:

Is it paranoid to imagine the Chinese hacked the NYSE to be able to point to them shutting down trading as a reason they did it too?

The NYSE has incredibly tight security giving any state-level hackers very little to work with. If the Chinese had/have any known exploits to get in I doubt they'd burn one just to save face when it doesn't even help them all that much even in the short run. Not saying it's impossible to shut down the NYSE or that the Chinese wouldn't do it, just that the cost/benefit doesn't really add up in this case.

im gay posted:

As far as I know shutting down due to a computer glitch is unprecedented. However with how quickly they recovered I really doubt anything malicious occurred. If they really were running through an upgrade then they likely were watching for something to go wrong and rolled back at the first sign of trouble.

Necc0 fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jul 8, 2015

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Logikv9 posted:

It was already said before, but this is so interesting and magical to see a crash in progress and a government with essentially unlimited power do anything to stop it.

But it's all failing and everything is falling apart. :capitalism:

30 million people were murdered by Mao before anybody admitted there was a problem.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Nonsense posted:

30 million people were murdered by Mao before anybody admitted there was a problem.

This isn't particularly true on a number of levels, there were a number of individuals in the politburo who did in fact state there were problems, its how Mao initially lost his job.

Fall Sick and Die
Nov 22, 2003
Were the colors of stocks in China always reversed, with green meaning down and red meaning up? Or is this the least-effective way to improve investor confidence ever?

http://english.sse.com.cn/

http://www.szse.cn/main/en/

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I think the government asking pension funds to invest in the stock market was a mistake. What the hell is going to be left in those funds if the market keeps on dropping.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

im gay posted:

2012 due to Hurricane Sandy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Has anyone in power thought about just rolling back the servers to June 12 and telling everyone to start over? If not, they should totally try that next. I wouldn't be opposed to a small percentage of those trillions I just saved you.

The last couple of weeks has been amazing watching this real life version of a one weird trick, investment bankers hate him... Please don't stop now.

• Locked thread