Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

mua ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.

Oh ye of little faith.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

grimlock_master posted:

It would take some major plot wrangling, given what we already know about XCOM 2's plot.

Eh... when a setting includes mind control anything goes, because "everything really happened this way but the Space Illuminati altered memories and destroyed evidence" can patch up continuity or merge any number of contradictory plotlines. Generally reserved for lazybad writers. Generally.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Is XCOM 2 supposed to be a direct follow-up to XCOM 1 or is it more a "what if the project failed" take on things? Because from what I've seen it looks as though XCOM kind of failed its stated mission in the sequel.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Is XCOM 2 supposed to be a direct follow-up to XCOM 1 or is it more a "what if the project failed" take on things? Because from what I've seen it looks as though XCOM kind of failed its stated mission in the sequel.

I think the line was "XCOM 2 is a sequel to the first time you played XCOM 1 on Impossible and failed miserably."

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010

Tomn posted:

Given that Speedball has his hands on the narrative, there's no telling what effects exactly Volunteering will have on the soldier in question.

I'm hoping he doesn't change it too much from the original, considering that the one thing really missing from the original narrative was a good denouement and I'd like to see his take on it.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

My guess is one of two things happened in XCOM 2:

1) You won XCOM 1 outright, the aliens retreat, humanity gets to the task of rebuilding. But much damage has been done, leaving governments weakened. A unified Earth government backed by the XCOM infrastructure (if not the actual lead soldiers and command staff) and Meld research takes over and starts playing mucky-muck, because governments are easily corrupted. It doesn't help that the aliens are still around, just operating in more subtle fashions. Your job then is to free the government from alien influence and any actual evil dictators you find.

2) You won XCOM 1, barely. A lot of nations defected, so instead of leaving entirely the aliens have retreated to build their power bases in those defected nations. They've managed to sink their influence into the populace pretty deep, and are busily developing the new soldiers they'll use to come back and win the war the second time. Your job then is to liberate the conquered nations and drive the aliens off Earth once and for all...until XCOM 3 anyway.

They're broadly similar; in the first though the emphasis is on fighting humanity empowered by Meld and assisted by the remnants of the alien army, while in the second the emphasis is on exposing the alien influence for what it is and removing their last seats of power. I like the first option better for its scope and change of villain.

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
Er, yeah, they've said outright what happened in the X-COM 2 timeline. Humanity lost. Hard.

Basically, the aliens didn't wait and let you gear up before sending the sectopods down and have taken over the world.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

legoman727 posted:

Basically, the aliens didn't wait and let you gear up before sending the sectopods down and have taken over the world.

In a world... Where Exalt develops lasers before X-Com.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

legoman727 posted:

Er, yeah, they've said outright what happened in the X-COM 2 timeline. Humanity lost. Hard.

Oh, well, that's boring. :saddowns:

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

sugar & spice & psychoactive mushrooms

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Oh, well, that's boring. :saddowns:

Nah, it just means failed Ironman runs are canonical.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Agent Interrobang posted:

Nah, it just means failed Ironman runs are canonical.

Note that this is how people like Jake Solomon actually describe it.

Speedball posted:

mua ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.

Oh ye of little faith.

Well, on the one hand, Speedball will be tying into the plot of XCOM2 which means the aliens win somehow (or something anyway), on the other, it sounds like Speedball will be doing an LP of XCOM2.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Stephen9001 fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Jul 7, 2015

The Watercrown
Feb 10, 2014

We Shall Become Gods

We Shall Become Gods

WE SHALL ALL DIE AND BECOME AS GODS
All of this talk about the wrangling Speedball needs to do to fit in with XCom 2, and none of you have noticed he set it up already!

Did you miss the mention of the time-traveller from the future, sent to help XCom of the present? Yeah, it sounds like a joke, but just think about it. The adopted sister comes from the XCom 2 timeline, to ensure that XCom doesn't fail in the present. The implications should be obvious, right?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Honestly I wouldn't mind a straight EW storyline for the EW LP :shobon:

You know, if only to not have to try and shoehorn in arriving at the failure state of the sequel. Be it launching the Volunteer into an alternate timeline or revealing this playthrough was a psychic illusion or whatever.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=460969393&searchtext=

Ahahahahaaha, Vice Virtuoso liked Broken Lords in Endless Legend so much he created them as a mod faction for Civilization V.

Yeah, when I (eventually) wrap up XCOM I'm going to do a non-narrative Endless Legend LP. Just one of the sides, not all of them (I'm not CRAZY).

Fighting through some depression today with a combination of chocolate and peanut butter. My belly wound is also better.

By the way... all you people who say you like the poo poo I write? I'm pretty sure you're not just keeping me going, you're keeping me SANE. Thank you.

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

Speedball posted:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=460969393&searchtext=

Ahahahahaaha, Vice Virtuoso liked Broken Lords in Endless Legend so much he created them as a mod faction for Civilization V.

Yeah, when I (eventually) wrap up XCOM I'm going to do a non-narrative Endless Legend LP. Just one of the sides, not all of them (I'm not CRAZY).

Fighting through some depression today with a combination of chocolate and peanut butter. My belly wound is also better.

By the way... all you people who say you like the poo poo I write? I'm pretty sure you're not just keeping me going, you're keeping me SANE. Thank you.

I am pretty sure no one around here likes the poo poo you write for any reason.
Anyone who is willing to dispute that claim, please cite the particular pieces of poo poo you like.
(i doubt you can find any though...)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

DmitriX posted:

Anyone who is willing to dispute that claim, please cite the particular pieces of poo poo you like.

So why are you here, exactly? Do you enjoy reading threads containing content you hate? Or do you want to argue about fascism and eugenics again?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

DmitriX posted:

Speedball posted:

Ha ha ha ha ha ha! It’s a SHOTGUN wedding!

I will dispute that claim. I am citing the above line as the poo poo I liked. I liked this poo poo. It was pretty funny and made me laugh. It took me about 5 seconds to find this, because it was in the most recent update. I wasn't much of a fan of your post though.

edit: I hope these sentences were simple enough for you to understand.

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Gym badge day is a VERY dangerous day!

DmitriX posted:

Hidden Exalt cell spotted.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
[b]BUNNIES ARE CUTE BUT DEADLY/b]
Awww, poor babby fascist got smacked down for his bullshit for a week, and now he's back it's all bad writing, and not his fault.

Seriously, I'm betting you're the kinda guy who blames his living in a shithole on those filthy people not of your race.

Nice to see you here Chris Muir.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

DmitriX posted:

I dearly hope your referring to "poo poo" in some sort of sarcastic manner, implying that little of what Speedball writes is poo poo, and in fact most of it is gold. If you are genuinely saying that Speedballs stuff is poo poo and stuff, well, I think I speak for everyone when I say gently caress YOU! I will say that the "cite piece of poo poo you like" thing is making me inclined to believe you were being ironic/sarcastic (whatever the right phrase would be), you just did it in an absolutely terrible way.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
Speedball is awesome, I love our XCOM team, and trolls go on 'ignore user'.
Obviously.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

DmitriX posted:

I thought you were Stephen9001 making a poorly-worded joke about not liking Speedball's literal fecal matter, for a moment.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Tomn posted:

I thought you were Stephen9001 making a poorly-worded joke about not liking Speedball's literal fecal matter, for a moment.

Oh come on! I'm not THAT dumb, even when drunk!

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

I think it's someone playing devil's advocate in order to push us into creating a highlight reel. Perhaps we should?

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Stephen9001 posted:

Oh come on! I'm not THAT dumb, even when drunk!

That was before I read the whole thing! "Huh, talking about not liking poo poo - probably just a silly joke about Speedball's actual...oh."

Spiteful little devil, though, that chap. Did your probation hurt that much?

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Ghostwoods posted:

Speedball is awesome, I love our XCOM team, and trolls go on 'ignore user'.
Obviously.

Everyone on the internet is a brilliant satirist... in some universe.

Of course there are those times I write something so ludicrous that nobody could possibly miss the sarcasm, and of course those are the only things that get taken seriously. :v:

Tomn posted:

Stephen9001 posted:

:sterv:

This made me laugh far more than it should have. Sorry Steve, but it would seem you've become a punchline.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
[b]BUNNIES ARE CUTE BUT DEADLY/b]
Better a punchline than a punching bag

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Whether or not it's award material, this LP does enough to make me enjoy it. That should be enough, really.

Sometimes it's the small things I would not expect would make me laugh out loud, that do.

Not that Bradford is some kind of badass during the Bade defense, but that small edit of game footage to make it look like his cutscene gun is missing.

Not the surprise wedding and assorted color coding of battle armor, but that "Your MREs have been replaced with small rectangles of cake."

On a darker note, when is the OP going to be updated with a Memorial list?

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

Ah.
I seem to have been misunderstood.
Bobbin was about closest to pinpointing my true intention although yeah, i am surprised nobody bothered to read that post carefully.
My claim was that there is nobody who likes the poo poo Speedball writes.
The exact thing i asked you to do, was to provide things that
A. were poo poo
B. you liked.

The intent was that this would result in exactly 0 matches because 95% of Speedball's writing does not conform to this criteria.
So, the claim is technically true, as you guys like the good parts of which there is plenty therefore Speedball's assertion that people like his poo poo(as opposed to his good writing) is.. yep, wrong.
Mayhaps i have been unclear?

grimlock_master
Nov 1, 2013

Fuck you, suzie

DmitriX posted:

Ah.
I seem to have been misunderstood.
Bobbin was about closest to pinpointing my true intention although yeah, i am surprised nobody bothered to read that post carefully.
My claim was that there is nobody who likes the poo poo Speedball writes.
The exact thing i asked you to do, was to provide things that
A. were poo poo
B. you liked.

The intent was that this would result in exactly 0 matches because 95% of Speedball's writing does not conform to this criteria.
So, the claim is technically true, as you guys like the good parts of which there is plenty therefore Speedball's assertion that people like his poo poo(as opposed to his good writing) is.. yep, wrong.
Mayhaps i have been unclear?

You were technically correct. Which is the best kind of correct.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
I am not quite sure that's not just a post facto re-interpreting of what you meant to look good, man.

64bitrobot
Apr 20, 2009

Likes to Lurk
I'm just gonna sit here and kinda scroll past the discussion which doesn't seem super cool and chill and quietly await the next awesome update so I can enjoy some fine amusing writing about colorful soldiers fighting back against a dangerous alien enemy and the ineffectual team rocket.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Taking in account that most people tend to replace the word Stuff with the word poo poo in the internet, Yeah, kind of hard to understand.

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

Is it possible for friendly units to psi-shield a friendly MEC?

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

DmitriX posted:

Fascist idiot is back? Don't listen to this hateful gently caress Speedball.

Speedball posted:

So, you’re telling me… you’re telling me the reason I got bullied in high school wasn’t because Roger Green was racist, it was just because I wasn’t white enough. Is that what you’re saying, rear end in a top hat?!

This poo poo I found fantastic, and I'd quote all the updates if it wouldn't clog the page.

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

What is it with people using that word? Why would you assume my preferred economic system so out-of-hand?(it's true communism by the way)

Omobono posted:

This poo poo I found fantastic
But why are you claiming it's poo poo if it's fantastic ???

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

DmitriX posted:

What is it with people using that word? Why would you assume my preferred economic system so out-of-hand?(it's true communism by the way)

Idiom.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

DmitriX posted:

Is English not your first language?

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

Tarezax posted:

Is English not your first language?

No, it isn't~
Although yeah, i can see the reply above, i guess i can see what led to this huge misunderstanding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

DmitriX posted:

No, it isn't~
Although yeah, i can see the reply above, i guess i can see what led to this huge misunderstanding.

As I said in my original reply, "I will say that the "cite piece of poo poo you like" thing is making me inclined to believe you were being ironic/sarcastic (whatever the right phrase would be), you just did it in an absolutely terrible way."
One thing you should remember though, as SiegKrow said, on the internet, "poo poo" is often interchangeable with "stuff". Understanding when someone means "poo poo" as "stuff" rather than "poo poo" as in "terrible" is probably difficult for someone who's first language isn't English. And sometimes can be difficult for people for which it is!

But yeah, since it seems your original intention was just an unfortunately worded joke, I will forgive you for your mess up.

• Locked thread