Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?

Redczar posted:

Very original logo from the lower rungs of US Soccer

US Soccer Club Crabs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twat le Piss
Aug 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer
http://www.wsc.co.uk/weekly-howl/1191-2015/12571-weekly-howl-19-06-15

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

I'll never be convinced that WSC is written by anyone other than a Goon.

Benny Harvey
Nov 24, 2012

They literally copy and pasted from Albania's flag:

Bicephallic eagles are pretty rad though:

AEK Athens. Formed by Greeks fleeing Constantinople, the badge was chosen to reflect the Byzantine Empire.

Someone mentioned Roma's badges from the 70s. I prefer the one they used from 1997 to 2013 because it has Romulus and Remus being suckled by the she-wolf which I've always found so :black101: :

Then they went and MLS'd it up a bit:

Looking at their cross-town rivals, was anyone surprised that Lazio ended up being the team favoured by unrepentent fascists?

I love this one just because it looks like the guy who ordered the kits had a stutter:

Twat le Piss
Aug 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Benny Harvey posted:

They literally copy and pasted from Albania's flag:

The Wikipedia entry says that they are an Albanian Australian club so that's probably where they got the inspiration from. Still rad as heck though!

Benny Harvey
Nov 24, 2012

I quite like English ones since they're quite heraldic but especially Southamptons because it's just so cute:

Barnsley had a cute one too back when they were in the Premiership in 1998:

Then they hired the people who designed the Israel Ireland badge:

North of the border, I think it's funny that the two grandest-looking badges belong to Inverness and St. Johnstone:

Fucitol
May 8, 2005

Ceterum autem censeo mundum esse delendam

Memento, homo, quia pulvis es, et in pulverem reverteris

https://twitter.com/ATLUTD/status/618584511333433344

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

It's fitting that the badge, like the team name, is dumb and boring.

Fucitol
May 8, 2005

Ceterum autem censeo mundum esse delendam

Memento, homo, quia pulvis es, et in pulverem reverteris

trem_two posted:

the coca cola of badges

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
Atlanta will move to Calgary in ten years and we'll all have a laugh.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2WTgfGsrDE

"Olympic heritage"

Epic.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Can't wait to see the real logo, that placeholder is junk.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Your Boy Fancy posted:

That or Winnipeg.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Your Boy Fancy posted:

Everything about that Atlanta team is loving stupid. Let's put an MLS team in a city where the NBA team couldn't get 10,000 people to playoff games when they had Dominique Wilkins, had middling attendance when the Braves won about 58 division titles in a row in baseball, burned through two different NHL teams decades apart, and has a hard time even getting a full house for NFL games. But there is apparently this secret untapped "soccer fan" market that will show up by the tens of thousands for this team THIS IS DIFFERENT THIS IS THE FUTURE

Total Confusion
Oct 9, 2004

It reminds me of the History Channel logo:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Crazy Ted posted:

Everything about that Atlanta team is loving stupid. Let's put an MLS team in a city where the NBA team couldn't get 10,000 people to playoff games when they had Dominique Wilkins, had middling attendance when the Braves won about 58 division titles in a row in baseball, burned through two different NHL teams decades apart, and has a hard time even getting a full house for NFL games. But there is apparently this secret untapped "soccer fan" market that will show up by the tens of thousands for this team THIS IS DIFFERENT THIS IS THE FUTURE

They are also adding multiple teams in Florida, which is nearly as bad as a sports market.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

Alain Post posted:

They are also adding multiple teams in Florida, which is nearly as bad as a sports market.

Orlando actually makes sense. They've built the team into something watchable, marketed in pure carpet bombing fashion, and basically painted the town purple. They're a good new team. They did it right.

Atlanta is already doing the focus group poo poo, sanding all the edges off in a town that doesn't give a gently caress about anything. I'm looking forward to their implosion so a better supported team can move up.

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

Gold and a Pager posted:

It reminds me of the History Channel logo:

Funny how neither one has any.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

trem_two posted:

it's mls, i wouldn't complain about "dumb and boring." this is the league that thinks "real salt lake" is acceptable. cut em some slack.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

be nice wicka posted:

it's mls, i wouldn't complain about "dumb and boring." this is the league that thinks "real salt lake" is acceptable. cut em some slack.

Do they pronounce "the real" the English way with one syllable or the Spanish way with two?

And if it's the Spanish way, what royalty are they representing in Salt Lake City? The Mormon King?

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

BrigadierSensible posted:

Do they pronounce "the real" the English way with one syllable or the Spanish way with two?

And if it's the Spanish way, what royalty are they representing in Salt Lake City? The Mormon King?
They literally named the team that because of some mysterious "association" that the initial owner wanted with Real Madrid. I'm not kidding. IIRC local fans wanted the team to be named either Salt Lake S.C. or the Utah Highlanders because of the mountains in the state.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

I've heard announcers call it Re-Al, real, Rey-Al, probably more variations.

sweek0
May 22, 2006

Let me fall out the window
With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
On a blanket by the stairs
I'll tell you all my secrets
But I lie about my past

be nice wicka posted:

Re-yall, see:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mL2m2WvWfLQ

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

Looking at Cuba´s lineup for their upcoming Gold Cup game, found that this is one of their league clubs

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

mls execs are, by and large, clueless autists. so when people say that they want more european-esque names, meaning they just want the teams to be salt lake football club or salt lake soccer club etc, the business geniuses who unfortunately own the teams instead think "I GOT IT! WE'LL JUST RANDOMLY PICK ONE OF THE BIGGEST CLUBS IN THE WORLD AND STEAL A NAME WHOSE ORIGINS AND MEANING WE ARE TOTALLY CLUELESS ABOUT"

the rapids were almost "arsenal colorado," which is arguably just as stupid, if you look at it from a "you're going to be small-time as gently caress forever because of this poo poo" perspective

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

be nice wicka posted:

mls execs are, by and large, clueless autists. so when people say that they want more european-esque names, meaning they just want the teams to be salt lake football club or salt lake soccer club etc, the business geniuses who unfortunately own the teams instead think "I GOT IT! WE'LL JUST RANDOMLY PICK ONE OF THE BIGGEST CLUBS IN THE WORLD AND STEAL A NAME WHOSE ORIGINS AND MEANING WE ARE TOTALLY CLUELESS ABOUT"

the rapids were almost "arsenal colorado," which is arguably just as stupid, if you look at it from a "you're going to be small-time as gently caress forever because of this poo poo" perspective

When Toronto FC was founded they did an online poll between four names: "Toronto Northmen," "Inter Toronto FC," "Toronto Reds," and "Toronto FC."

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

vyelkin posted:

When Toronto FC was founded they did an online poll between four names: "Toronto Northmen," "Inter Toronto FC," "Toronto Reds," and "Toronto FC."

right, and if you give the fans the choice they will virtually always just choose something generic like that, because they'd prefer to let a nickname develop organically

also LMAO at inter toronto, i did not know that was a thing.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

be nice wicka posted:

Given the Air Force bases in Colorado you can almost halfway justify that one.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
They missed a chance in not going with ATL Athletics.

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf

Koesj posted:

Name them Atlanta Olympiacos and then put an AEK in Athens, GA

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

be nice wicka posted:

right, and if you give the fans the choice they will virtually always just choose something generic like that, because they'd prefer to let a nickname develop organically

also LMAO at inter toronto, i did not know that was a thing.

the name and crest are pretty much the only thing tfc had done right from august 2006 up until the moment gio landed

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

plainswalker75 posted:

Name them Atlanta Olympiacos and then put an AEK in Athens, GA

Franchise move for Chicago Fire

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Bobby Digital posted:

Given the Air Force bases in Colorado you can almost halfway justify that one.

Also their stadium is built on the site of the old Rocky Mountain Arsenal.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

GutBomb posted:

Also their stadium is built on the site of the old Rocky Mountain Arsenal.
And their owner also is also the largest shareholder for Arsenal.

Your Weird Uncle
Jan 16, 2006
Boneless Rusto Thrash.
also arsenal, like mls, is pathetic and only followed by clueless jerks who wear scarves in the summer

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Koesj posted:

Atletico Atlanta, surely.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Ugh

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Atlanta B.C., you mean?

hello i am phone
Nov 24, 2005
¿donde estoy?

Should have called it Atlanta AC as an homage to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Club_Atl%C3%A9tico_Atlanta

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Atlanta Bergamo

• Locked thread