Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Night10194 posted:

Which destroyer are you using? Part of the key to my recent dickstabbing success is using the Japanese destroyers with 7km range to lay down torpedo traps and wait for likely prey to blunder into them. Another key is to use your concealment to get around the main scrum and look for sniping BBs or CVs and ambush them; it doesn't matter if they see you coming, you can dodge a BB's fire fairly easily and you're a small target, and then you get in there and start the knifing.

I'm mostly using the Japanese ones because i find the long rage torps to be better at doing exactly what you said. I just release my load on a strait between two islands and a lot of people just sail right into the trap. The problem is when i'm considerably far away from an enemy and i need to close in, they seem to never miss spotting me and immediatly focus me because they know an incoming destroyer is more dangerous than a sniping half drunk battleship on the other side of the map. So i'll just be at 6kms from the enemy when his load blows my engines and sets me on fire and at that range it's basicalyl useless to shoot torps since he'll dodge them easily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InstantInfidel
Jan 9, 2010

BEST :10bux: I EVER SPENT
I've been trying to figure out all goddamn night why I was making great XP in Divisions and absolute poo poo by myself.

I was playing against bots :downs:

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Do battleships ever actually start hitting anything? As much as I love my Wyoming the dispersion on the guns is just frustrating.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Do battleships ever actually start hitting anything? As much as I love my Wyoming the dispersion on the guns is just frustrating.

You hit a lot more often once you get a BB with triple-gunned turrets. You're able to put a greater weight of fire in the air at any given time, and that middle gun occasionally parks the shell where you want it, rather than one falling short and the other going long, as tends to happen.

The battleships with amidships turrets also generally tend to suck at putting shells on target because you have to overly-hazard yourself to bring them to bear.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Jul 8, 2015

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Killed my first Sky Cancer today. Dropped a couple AP shells from my South Carolina through his deck at 11km and they hit something important.

gently caress you, Sky Cancer.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

So what I've learned in this game so far is that ramming a Battleship with a Cruiser kills both of you, Battleships are too slow to avoid being rammed by Cruisers, and Battleships can't kill Cruisers in the time it takes them to get rammed unless they get really lucky.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
I was clicking through some of the battleship main guns and noticed that some of the chassis upgrades actually increase the dispersion =(

Errazial
Aug 27, 2008

TastyLemonDrops posted:

I was clicking through some of the battleship main guns and noticed that some of the chassis upgrades actually increase the dispersion =(

Shell spread (dispersion) is angular, so if maximum range increases maximum dispersion increases with it.

The way the game denotes accuracy as dispersion at max range, instead of say dispersion per 1km (similar to how it's done in tanks), makes it a bit counter-intuitive and harder to compare.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Do the skills that boost secondary range and fire rate affect the main battery if they're below 155mm as well, like, say, a St. Louis or a Cleveland?

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Asehujiko posted:

Do the skills that boost secondary range and fire rate affect the main battery if they're below 155mm as well, like, say, a St. Louis or a Cleveland?

Yes. :iia:

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

James Garfield posted:

Spot the mistake!

Not using the Always Alt option. :colbert:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Hi, I'm a St. Louis and I can shoot you at ~12.5km instead of 10.4km. Yes, I'm 'hacking.' Go ahead and report me."

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

cock hero flux posted:

So what I've learned in this game so far is that ramming a Battleship with a Cruiser kills both of you, Battleships are too slow to avoid being rammed by Cruisers, and Battleships can't kill Cruisers in the time it takes them to get rammed unless they get really lucky.

On the other hand, yesterday I lost a battle because a Furutaka chose to ignore the capping destroyer only it could reach in time, and suicide itself into a burning 15% hp Wyoming that I was shooting at and had already been stripped of cap points three times.

Artless Meat
Apr 7, 2008

Night10194 posted:

I think I'm going to like the Tenryu. It can kill Destroyers real dead with HE and the guns aren't terrible, while it's almost as fast as a destroyer and can still play a convincing game of Torpedo rear end in a top hat.

But then you face St. Louis' who wind up getting 3 citadels per broadside and welp.

bobthethurd
Dec 27, 2007
Lovable Bob.
Citadel rear end in a top hat.

So what's the deal with Sky Cancer?

Carriers seem fairly balanced vs the rest of the chaff, but then when you have to face other carriers the whole game's balance falls apart. Either you are up against another carrier like you and it's a complete tossup whose fighters will win the RNG dogfight, or it's a battle between an American carrier and a Japanese one. There can only be one, and the American fighters eat everything the japanese carrier can poo poo out all at once. Earlier I got to face down an Independence and a Langley, with myself in a Langley and a Zuiho on my side. It was actually fun, but hard work getting the five torpedo hits and the destroyer kill I did get. By the end I'd been reduced to uselessness by tier 6 fighters.

Which is the third state of affairs. Heaven help you if you're facing an enemy carrier that's higher tier than you, because Wargaming sure didn't.

All that said, I have yet to have a game in my Langley that I didn't enjoy. Even when my team loses I have a blast and get tons of exp and money.

Peavey
Aug 22, 2007
hi
I'm only just at tier 5 but I think everyone hates carriers because they drop volleys of torpedoes 3 inches off your side and you die. It isn't avoidable or fun, I'm hoping when ships get decent AA it gets better bit there doesn't seem any incentive to protect your team from planes as you get next to no XP for it.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
You get like 10 or 15 xp per plane shot down. It's just not worth the time hanging back protecting possible target from bombers because you get low xp and carrier players just go look for another target.

bobthethurd
Dec 27, 2007
Lovable Bob.
Do carriers get more exp for shooting down planes then? I have had games where I did nothing but that, 27-30 downed in a game vs another carrier and I get plenty of experience. Shutting down enemy carriers is my favorite thing to do when I'm playing one.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
No idea, but you get bonus xp for win.

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

bobthethurd posted:

Do carriers get more exp for shooting down planes then? I have had games where I did nothing but that, 27-30 downed in a game vs another carrier and I get plenty of experience. Shutting down enemy carriers is my favorite thing to do when I'm playing one.

Not as much as torping, If you get two torp hits, you will get more XP than a carrier who shoots down 50 planes

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

cock hero flux posted:

It does a certain amount of damage to each player based on what ship class is ramming/being rammed. A full health BB shouldn't die to a cruiser ramming it, and it wont even really notice a DD ramming it. On the other hand, if you're at like 25% health and a cruiser rams you you're toast.

Also the cruiser should be dead long before he gets into ramming range. Worst case scenario just run away from him, buy some time for your secondaries and rear turrets to do work on him.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Cruiser ramming battleship (and vice versa) and cruiser/battleship ramming each other will do damage of its maximum hp. No idea about destroyer though. If you want to ram someone make sure your target is below your max hp before ramming.

eg: 35k current/max hp cruiser ramming 50k current/max hp battleship: target battleship will survive with 15k hp.
10k current hp (35k max) cruiser ramming 34k current hp (50k max) battleship: target battleship will die.
60k max hp battleship ramming 80k max hp battleship: target battleship will survive with 20k hp.

e: Make sure nobody can shoot your broadside with AP, and try to use cover to approach target within 5 km first. Watch out for close-by ships with high DPM though, because they will rip you apart so fast with bullshit HE spam before you get any close to your target. Don't ram unless you must absolutely bring that target down and can't do it fast with your guns.

Aesis fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Jul 8, 2015

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Stevefin posted:

Not as much as torping, If you get two torp hits, you will get more XP than a carrier who shoots down 50 planes

I really hope they change this. Making it profitable xp wise to shoot down planes would mean the fighter heavy configurations of carriers would be worth taking. Right now you're better off doing more damage.

How effective are dive bombers? I heard people say they are only good for starting fires.

bobthethurd
Dec 27, 2007
Lovable Bob.
Speaking from the Bogue experience, dive bombers are not very good. Inaccurate, but pretty much equivalent to an HE shell with a 90% fire chance if they hit. Really nasty against destroyers if you do get a hit, pretty meh against everyone else, unless the enemy just used their repair crew. Then they're loving hilarious.

Edit: Carriers are fun, but all I've seen so far points to there needing to be a LOT of work done on them, mainly on the 'vs other carriers' side. I don't find torpedoes to be the auto-hit instant kills on everything. They're certainly inconvenient but they're a LOT more avoidable than most people seem to think. The problem is you fucks don't do anything but drive straight and pray I miss or all my planes spontaneously combust.

This is especially true with the battleships. Especially with the early battleships. Battleships that are paying attention and start turning often gently caress up my attack run and I lose a bomber or two to that lovely South Carolina AA while I reset and my planes waffle, and then you only take one torpedo when I do drop, if any, because the spread is now horrific or it bought your carrier time to get fighters on my planes. I've had a South Carolina juke me completely more than once on a REALLY GOOD torpedo strike. I've also had New Yorks eat 5 torpedoes for driving straight like a dingus.

Either way it's a four or five minute turnaround before I get to do it again. If you're mad at torpedo planes for making GBS threads on you, go play a carrier and learn how he did it because it's not hard to mitigate. And it's fun as hell.

bobthethurd fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Jul 8, 2015

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

Panfilo posted:

How effective are dive bombers? I heard people say they are only good for starting fires.
Better than before but still crap compared to torp bombers.

Carrier need more balanced plane loadout so you can still contribute if you picked the wrong one and there are no other carriers around.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
While this game is a lot of fun and I am enjoying my Langley, it makes me miss how carriers in Navyfield worked:

-Customized plane compositions, whatever combination of fighters, dive bombers, and torpedo bombers you could fit on your carrier.

-Squadrons could vary in size. Small squadrons would get up in the air faster . Max size generally based on the tier of the CV, from 3 to as many as 10.

-Shooting down planes was totally worth it, as it greatly boosted your crews' skill.

-Dive bombers were quite effective vs battleships and particularly other carriers.

-IJN had hybrid carriers that were very customizable .

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
It would make more sense for dive bombers to Have AP bombs and have a good chance of getting citadel hits if you can get the bombs as close to amidships as possible.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

bobthethurd posted:

This is especially true with the battleships. Especially with the early battleships. Battleships that are paying attention and start turning often gently caress up my attack run and I lose a bomber or two to that lovely South Carolina AA while I reset and my planes waffle, and then you only take one torpedo when I do drop, if any, because the spread is now horrific or it bought your carrier time to get fighters on my planes. I've had a South Carolina juke me completely more than once on a REALLY GOOD torpedo strike. I've also had New Yorks eat 5 torpedoes for driving straight like a dingus.

My Warspite does pretty well at avoiding torp planes and creams them with it's AA. The Wyoming I just got into though, is slow, can't turn worth a drat and has no AA guns whatsoever until I make 3800xp for the hull upgrade. Not fun when there are always carriers on the other side at tier 4 and manual drops make it impossible for them to miss me. Take your time lining up a good run, there's bugger all I can do to your planes...

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Ratzap posted:

My Warspite does pretty well at avoiding torp planes and creams them with it's AA. The Wyoming I just got into though, is slow, can't turn worth a drat and has no AA guns whatsoever until I make 3800xp for the hull upgrade. Not fun when there are always carriers on the other side at tier 4 and manual drops make it impossible for them to miss me. Take your time lining up a good run, there's bugger all I can do to your planes...

I'm at tier 4 with everything and I see carriers about 1 in every 3 battles, which is the highest it's been yet

Even though torps give you so much more xp than shooting down fighters, at the end of CBT my max fighter Langley and Bogue were reeling in about 50% more xp per battle than my Hosho and Zuiho with all torp bombers.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
I had no interest at all in this game, but my friends convinced me to give it a try last night. And I loved it.
I have some experience in WoT (like 4 lines to Tier 8/9), but absolutely hates WoP or WT.

I was pleasantly surprised how 'active' the game is. I was expecting an even much slower pace. Also, at least at low tiers, I was not really annoyed by "did not penetrate" messages that were typical in WoT.

I will by typically playing in a 'platoon' of 3. Would you advice us taking the same class of ships to form a Wolfpack, or rather one of each and support eachother?
Or just whatever floats our boat.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

bobthethurd posted:

I don't find torpedoes to be the auto-hit instant kills on everything. They're certainly inconvenient but they're a LOT more avoidable than most people seem to think. The problem is you fucks don't do anything but drive straight and pray I miss or all my planes spontaneously combust.

There is an easily replicable (and utterly inexcusable at this point) bug in the game that lets you confuse the AI and force the planes into a torpedo drop way, way closer than should be possible. They are then literally unavoidable for the target ship, who doesn't even have time to react to a rudder change. Imagine if in World of Tanks you could ping the map three to five times before firing, and guarantee that not only would that shot hit perfectly on bullseye, but also penetrate.

That's why CVs are loving broken at the moment. Because people who know what they are doing are entirely capable of killing every worthwhile target with absolute efficiency unless the opposing CV can stop them. Against those carriers the skill and awareness of the target player is irrelevant to the outcome.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

bobthethurd posted:

Citadel rear end in a top hat.

So what's the deal with Sky Cancer?

Carriers seem fairly balanced vs the rest of the chaff, but then when you have to face other carriers the whole game's balance falls apart. Either you are up against another carrier like you and it's a complete tossup whose fighters will win the RNG dogfight, or it's a battle between an American carrier and a Japanese one. There can only be one, and the American fighters eat everything the japanese carrier can poo poo out all at once. Earlier I got to face down an Independence and a Langley, with myself in a Langley and a Zuiho on my side. It was actually fun, but hard work getting the five torpedo hits and the destroyer kill I did get. By the end I'd been reduced to uselessness by tier 6 fighters.

Which is the third state of affairs. Heaven help you if you're facing an enemy carrier that's higher tier than you, because Wargaming sure didn't.

All that said, I have yet to have a game in my Langley that I didn't enjoy. Even when my team loses I have a blast and get tons of exp and money.

Yeah, the disparity between different tiers of carriers is horrible and I don't understand why. Why the hell is there such a huge disparity in fighters, when everything else in the game is extremely incremental? I mean, both types of bombers barely change damagewise, with IJN torpedo and bomb values NEVER changing and US ones static after tier 6. Meanwhile, fighters damage is characterized by huge jumps at certain tiers. Both sides have nearly static damage for 3 tiers(IJN ones stay at 30 through tier 6, US ones get a 6-point boost at tier 6), then it breaks down as such: Tier 7(84 for US, 90 for IJN), Tier 8(126 for US, 96 for IJN), Tier 9(120 for US, 162(!?) for IJN), Tier 10(120 for US, 148 for IJN). How hard would it have been to have each level do slightly more damage than the next, instead of "Well, not only are they more survivable, but they also do triple the amount of damage yours do." And I've lost entire fully upgraded Hosho squadrons to their Langley counterparts for no loss by them multiple times, while over friendly ships that actually have AA values, despite both fighters having similar stats according to the information we're given, so who the gently caress knows what's going on there.

Interestingly, on the subject of torpedo bombers, for all the complaints about IJN ones I suspect that if you actually went through replays you'd find that US ones are far more likely to oneshot you. I have extreme difficulty hitting a target with more than two torpedoes out of an IJN squadron's spread, simply because it's so wide, so much so that against a stationary battleship I don't even think it's possible to hit with all four, while the US ones have a much tighter dispersion and thus it's easier to hit with more. Oh, they do more damage as well, so generally it takes less hits to sink you on top of that.

ohsosad
Feb 11, 2012

Why is every game i play unbalanced in the other guys favour?

Gapey Joe Stalin posted:

There is an easily replicable (and utterly inexcusable at this point) bug in the game that lets you confuse the AI and force the planes into a torpedo drop way, way closer than should be possible. They are then literally unavoidable for the target ship, who doesn't even have time to react to a rudder change. Imagine if in World of Tanks you could ping the map three to five times before firing, and guarantee that not only would that shot hit perfectly on bullseye, but also penetrate.

That's why CVs are loving broken at the moment. Because people who know what they are doing are entirely capable of killing every worthwhile target with absolute efficiency unless the opposing CV can stop them. Against those carriers the skill and awareness of the target player is irrelevant to the outcome.

I don't understand what you mean because currently you can manual drop a torpedo as close as you want ( as in on top of a boat) but doing so will mean your torpedo wont arm so you do no damage.

Are you saying there is a bug that lets you drop a torpedo at point blank which instantly arms?

psy.Che
Feb 23, 2011
Thanks for all the tips for handling the Furutaka - I have indeed gotten way better results now! Using the fact that its guns are quite precise even at max range and running away most of the time has made my life much easier... although I miss using the torps.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
Really getting the hang of the Tenryu now

I was on a streak then some cheesy sod killed my engine just after I put out a fire. Somehow I lasted the minute plus for repair to come back with everyone and their dog shooting at me but not in very good shape.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

Forgot to post this screenshot. Not rewarding enough :colbert:

Aesis fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Jul 8, 2015

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Artless Meat posted:

But then you face St. Louis' who wind up getting 3 citadels per broadside and welp.

It's only fair. He can't play Torpedo rear end in a top hat so he's got to do something else to make up for it. It's the circle of life, really.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

BIG HEADLINE posted:

"Hi, I'm a St. Louis and I can shoot you at ~12.5km instead of 10.4km. Yes, I'm 'hacking.' Go ahead and report me."

Well, poo poo. Looks like I need to respec.

Is the St. Louis's thing just being able to bring guns to bear at any angle quickly?

Should I be using AP at low levels, or stick with HE? I barely ever get citadel hits, and those are mostly luck.

I'm pretty bad at this game. I think I need to exit sniper view and maneuver more. Maybe give myself more room to cut back behind islands. I keep getting caught in the open like a bad.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Is the St. Louis's thing just being able to bring guns to bear at any angle quickly?

Should I be using AP at low levels, or stick with HE? I barely ever get citadel hits, and those are mostly luck.

I'm pretty bad at this game. I think I need to exit sniper view and maneuver more. Maybe give myself more room to cut back behind islands. I keep getting caught in the open like a bad.

The St. Louis's thing is that it is a floating, mystical portal to the Gun Dimension, a dimension made entirely of guns. It carries 14 guns that all reload and fire quickly and with the upgrades have something like a 7 or 6.3sec reloading time, with the ability to put something like 8 or 9 on a target at the same time. Also it has a ton of secondaries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Just keep in mind that I *think* you need at least one skill from each line to get to a four-pointer, so you'd need a 10 point captain to reach it.

And generally in the St. Louis I stick to HE - even against battleships you can pretty reliably do ~1000-2000 per volley, plus whatever fire damage you inflict. AP can do more, obviously, but it can also ding harmlessly as well.